Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (H) League One 3/8/13

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Tranmere Rovers (H) League One 3/8/13

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:13 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:There is a very distinct atmosphere down the 'Fortress' these days...

Especially when Dancing Kev walks past :wink:

Thats just a stench.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks to kshammer for his match report - made it to the front page, along with an awful pun that was irresistible!

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... mings-way/

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:36 pm

When do UTS ever publish my reports?

Do i need more boiled eggs?

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:55 pm

latviancheese wrote:When do UTS ever publish my reports?

Like me, you need to write them sober one day :grin:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:01 pm

tinned wrote:

Like me, you need to write them sober one day :grin:

I'm glad some people do that, fills in some of the gaps. :lol:

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:27 pm

You need to send Exile a regular parcel of things he can't get in NZ - wagon wheels, jammy dodgers, wine gums, haddock, scratchings, pork pies etc etc

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:35 am

Very good team spirit, all the players seem to want to play. Our subs bench has improved with good replacements in all areas. Well done Dean and the boys.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:59 am

Exile wrote:Thanks to kshammer for his match report - made it to the front page, along with an awful pun that was irresistible!

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... mings-way/

Please note the author of the match report takes no responsibility for said pun. Any disappointment must be targeted to moderators. :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:02 am

Whitters wrote:

You need to send Exile a regular parcel of things he can't get in NZ - wagon wheels, jammy dodgers, wine gums, haddock, scratchings, pork pies etc etc

I sent a half eaten balti pie and a copy of Razzle - worked a treat.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:47 am

kshammer wrote:
Whitters wrote:

I sent a half eaten balti pie and a copy of Razzle - worked a treat.

You were just lucky. By the time your care package arrived the balti pie moud had reacted with whatever was in the Razzle 'Readers Wives' section and glued together the double page hambeast spreads. Otherwise you'd be on the permanent exclusion list like Latvian. :mrgreen:

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:52 pm

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:47 pm

i stated elsewhere that if smith could seamlessly replace the 3 who left, we'd be a force in this division. 1st impressions are that this is the case. great football all over the pitch, and a 1st half with more on-target attempts than i remember in hutchins' entire stewardship!

hard to argue with hemmings as motm, but gotta give a mention to:

benning. taylor has to battle for his place back.

westcarr. delighted to eat my words. cool finishes on top of a great performance, robbed of a hat-trick. i hope this lasts all season.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:59 pm

wfc & chips wrote:i stated elsewhere that if smith could seamlessly replace the 3 who left, we'd be a force in this division. 1st impressions are that this is the case. great football all over the pitch, and a 1st half with more on-target attempts than i remember in hutchins' entire stewardship!

westcarr. delighted to eat my words. cool finishes on top of a great performance, robbed of a hat-trick. i hope this lasts all season.

The only difference for Westcarr is the goals, very important as they are. He was still doing all the other stuff last season, its just Grigg, Paterson and Brandy were taking the glory with the goals. Even so he still would have averaged more tham Brandy if he'd played all season, with the same goals:games ratio.

He does look fitter now he's had a Smith pre-season behind him though.

Ronnie Moore spotted the importance of his "in the hole role" that we've been trying to point out to his critics for months. Defenders can't handle the clever positioning and movement he makes (which doesnt have to be at 100 mph) which opens up space for others. Lalkovic has also now commented on it after knew game.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Sober :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Indeed Westcarr is looking really sharp. If he can add more goals to his game then what a season he is in for.

First time i saw Sawyers properly too, he is a very similar player by the looks of it. Big, strong, knows when stand still and when to move the ball.

UTS

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:i stated elsewhere that if smith could seamlessly replace the 3 who left, we'd be a force in this division. 1st impressions are that this is the case. great football all over the pitch, and a 1st half with more on-target attempts than i remember in hutchins' entire stewardship!

The only difference for Westcarr is the goals, very important as they are. He was still doing all the other stuff last season, its just Grigg, Paterson and Brandy were taking the glory with the goals. Even so he still would have averaged more tham Brandy if he'd played all season, with the same goals:games ratio.

Ronnie Moore spotted the importance of his "in the hole role" that we've been trying to point out to his critics for months. Defenders can't handle the clever positioning and movement he makes (which doesnt have to be at 100 mph) which opens up space for others. Lalkovic has also now commented on it after knew game.

The advantage of having a player in the hole is that no one knows who should be picking him up. Is it the midfielders or defenders? The defenders don't want to come out of position to mark him, and the midfielders don't want to drop deeper. Clever bit of tactics by our management team.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

The advantage of having a player in the hole is that no one knows who should be picking him up. Is it the midfielders or defenders? The defenders don't want to come out of position to mark him, and the midfielders don't want to drop deeper. Clever bit of tactics by our management team.

It's clever because it works on two levels - on one, we have a player who can pick the ball up, unmarked in dangerous positions, and on the other, teams who suss us out and want to mark him have to sacrifice one of their midfielders to do so. That's when the likes of Hemmings, Lalkovic & Baxendale move up a gear and take advantage.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:51 pm

The thing is, none of our front players were tied to a specific position during games second half of last season, they interchanged at a seconds notice, and it is almost impossible to defend against if done well. Westcarr is a fantastic player to have playing this way, his ability to find space is fantastic. I don't know where all the hate came from for him to be honest. Have a think about some of the players we have had over the past 5 years.

PT
Site Addict

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Whilst the coverage up here has lingered on how poorly Tranmere felt they played and Moore's hyperbole afterwards, there is some grudging praise for us in The Echo (with the "The" pronounced "Dee" and the ch part of echo elongated to dredge gob up from the back of the throat). I think the journalist is beginning to question Moore's wisdom of bringing in "experience" when a far more youthful and vibrant Walsall side played them off the park. And if experience is meant to bring in know-how and an understanding of how to deal with situations, then how come Moore seemed to be saying that his side had lost the plot and didn't play as they discussed. Could be a long hard season for them.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:54 pm

PT wrote:Whilst the coverage up here has lingered on how poorly Tranmere felt they played and Moore's hyperbole afterwards, there is some grudging praise for us in The Echo (with the "The" pronounced "Dee" and the ch part of echo elongated to dredge gob up from the back of the throat). I think the journalist is beginning to question Moore's wisdom of bringing in "experience" when a far more youthful and vibrant Walsall side played them off the park. And if experience is meant to bring in know-how and an understanding of how to deal with situations, then how come Moore seemed to be saying that his side had lost the plot and didn't play as they discussed. Could be a long hard season for them.

Unfortunately for him, I think he is a victim of his own success at Tranmere. I think they were playing above themselves at the beginning of last season, and then of course expectations are raised. I don't know their budget, but I bet it isn't a whole lot more than ours. I think they could be a team to struggle also this season. They looked poor against us at home last season too, even if we were good.

He's a decent manager at what he does, it does seem quite worrying though if he is saying experienced players can't comprehend what he is trying to get them to do. Never mind what he did or didn't say about Walsall, I doubt it has done his sides confidence any good.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:13 pm

PT wrote:Whilst the coverage up here has lingered on how poorly Tranmere felt they played and Moore's hyperbole afterwards, there is some grudging praise for us in The Echo (with the "The" pronounced "Dee" and the ch part of echo elongated to dredge gob up from the back of the throat). I think the journalist is beginning to question Moore's wisdom of bringing in "experience" when a far more youthful and vibrant Walsall side played them off the park. And if experience is meant to bring in know-how and an understanding of how to deal with situations, then how come Moore seemed to be saying that his side had lost the plot and didn't play as they discussed. Could be a long hard season for them.

Granada showed thier goal and said they went onto lose. That was it. " Now onto Bury ". As bad as Central.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

saturday was easily the best i've seen westcarr play. not quite sure where waw gets "hate for him" from, i just thought he was overrated and falsely credited as the difference last season, where i thought achambers, downing and brandy were more influential.

moving on, harsh to blame the keeper. sodje was offside right in front of him as well as it being a really good free-kick.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:56 pm

Okay hate was probably a bit strong, and I didn't mean you personally, but come on have a think of some of cack we have had over the past few years, give the bloke some love. As I said before the first game in a thread, at the end of the season add goals and assists up for each player, I assure you his numbers will be the highest barring injuries.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season