Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Burton Albion (A) Friendly - Friday 26/7/13

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Re: Burton Albion (A) Friendly - Friday 26/7/13

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Westcarr setup Lalkovic for our best chance when he hit the post. More than what Chambers and Mantom created last night. Is Mantom fit because he is wearing strapping round his knee the 3 per season games I have seen so far?

The only thing that concerned me last night was if teams push on us like Burton did we will end up with Butler and Downing passing the ball a lot as the midfield aren't able to take it off them. Last night this lead to the inevitable hoof, or us playing ourselves into trouble across the defensive line.

Think the spine of the team that played last night will be in the starting 11 next Saturday with the full back and wing positions the ones to change.

3 points on Saturday followed by a cup victory at Vale is my early season glass full prediction! The football season is back! :D

farn81

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:42 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
farn81 wrote:It was a pretty poor game, but like someone said, it wasn't a full strength team. I think last night proved that Westcarr just isn't good enough. Sawyers definitely needs to be playing in the hole behind the striker. Preferably behind Hewitt with Lalkovic and Hemmings on either wing. Add Chambers and Mantom in the middle and we have a pretty solid midfield/attack.

On another point, whilst i think O'Donell has looked brilliant at times, especially his communication and his shot stopping, has anybody else noticed his inability to claim balls in the 6 yard box? thats 2 goals in 2 games now that have been scored from crosses that have landed inside the 6 yard box.

Yes of course it does, a meaningless friendly in a weakened team confirms much more than the 15 games or so he played in division 3 last season. Jesus Christ on a bike.

Just what I was thinking. What a donald stupid comment.

I actually thought most of our better work went through Westcarr last night.

Really?! I think he could be a good player, but not in our scheme. He is too slow on the ball and too slow at making decisions. Yes, he set up the chance for Lalkovic which hit the post, BUT that pass should have been made much sooner. If he made the pass sooner, he would have been through on goal instead of forced to shoot for a tight angle. When you compare Sawyers' impact in the Forest game i think he has to start ahead of Westcarr. Sawyers is much better on the ball and can spot that killer through ball, where i don't think Westcarr can. He is good to keep in the team, yes. I just dont think that he should start.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Fortunately Dean Smith picks the team, not you.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:43 pm

PT wrote:Meanwhile at the cricket, the Bears did indeed smash the Pears but Swifty rocked up in the wrong footwear to scupper his chances in the Mascot race. Quite a few Walsall fans amongst a well oiled crowd.

Stilettoes per chance? :)

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:48 pm

King Crimson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
farn81 wrote:It was a pretty poor game, but like someone said, it wasn't a full strength team. I think last night proved that Westcarr just isn't good enough. Sawyers definitely needs to be playing in the hole behind the striker. Preferably behind Hewitt with Lalkovic and Hemmings on either wing. Add Chambers and Mantom in the middle and we have a pretty solid midfield/attack.

On another point, whilst i think O'Donell has looked brilliant at times, especially his communication and his shot stopping, has anybody else noticed his inability to claim balls in the 6 yard box? thats 2 goals in 2 games now that have been scored from crosses that have landed inside the 6 yard box.

Yes of course it does, a meaningless friendly in a weakened team confirms much more than the 15 games or so he played in division 3 last season. Jesus Christ on a bike.

We've already established the braindead don't see what he does add. No need to dwell on it. Just include them in the nice but dim list, like Gazza, James Cordon, Stacey Solomon etc.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

We've already established the braindead don't see what he does add. No need to dwell on it. Just include them in the nice but dim list, like Gazza, James Cordon, Stacey Solomon etc.

Ok. Will do.

xx

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Wasn't there at Burton but I wanted to add my two pennies worth to the Wetcarr debate. I think he is a very intelligent player who plays at his own tempo. Sometimes this hinders us but sometimes it is a great aid. He's not perfect, nowhere near, but he can a job to do for us over the season.

Personally, I think Dean has a massive selection headache when it comes to the Tranmere game when it comes to selecting our forward line. I would choose Sawyers over Westcarr as first choice, and have him behind Hewitt with Lalkovic and Bax on the wings. It's a difficult decision though as Morris has been in fine form in pre-season and Hemmings seems to have improved greatly too. It's not a bad problem to have, but it's a tough choice.

I also fear that Smith sees Lalkovic as an out and out striker, which from what I've seen of him, he isn't. I feel he'd benefit a lot more from being able to play from deeper with his pace and skill, almost in the 'Pato' role, but we'll have to wait and see.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:51 pm

Leatherman wrote:
PT wrote:Meanwhile at the cricket, the Bears did indeed smash the Pears but Swifty rocked up in the wrong footwear to scupper his chances in the Mascot race. Quite a few Walsall fans amongst a well oiled crowd.

May as well have! He wore trainers instead of the big comedy feet that mascots are supposed to have so was given an 8 second penalty. "Be kind to Swifty" the jovial MC said " he's not used to crowds". Nobody laughed first time so he said it again - nob.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:05 pm

PT wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

May as well have! He wore trainers instead of the big comedy feet that mascots are supposed to have so was given an 8 second penalty. "Be kind to Swifty" the jovial MC said " he's not used to crowds". Nobody laughed first time so he said it again - nob.

Well, at least he day start singing :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Ahh! you must be in the other list then that contains Lineker, Hansen and Shearer :)

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Wasn't there at Burton but I wanted to add my two pennies worth to the Wetcarr debate. I think he is a very intelligent player who plays at his own tempo. Sometimes this hinders us but sometimes it is a great aid. He's not perfect, nowhere near, but he can a job to do for us over the season.

Personally, I think Dean has a massive selection headache when it comes to the Tranmere game when it comes to selecting our forward line. I would choose Sawyers over Westcarr as first choice, and have him behind Hewitt with Lalkovic and Bax on the wings. It's a difficult decision though as Morris has been in fine form in pre-season and Hemmings seems to have improved greatly too. It's not a bad problem to have, but it's a tough choice.

I also fear that Smith sees Lalkovic as an out and out striker, which from what I've seen of him, he isn't. I feel he'd benefit a lot more from being able to play from deeper with his pace and skill, almost in the 'Pato' role, but we'll have to wait and see.

My thoughts exactly, the only times yesterday when Lalkovic looked dangerous, where he could drive at the defence and take them on - was when he was running down the wings. Personally, I think he is wasted up front, stick him on the left, have him run at them and cut inside like Pato did. We will have a hell of a player.

farn81

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:23 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

ahhh i see how this forum works now...if your personal opinion doesn't agree with that of the mods/top posters, you are braindead. hmmmm yeah...because you know all about me haha

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:39 am

Don't know cack about you, but if you can justify your opinion carry on posting. Otherwise it looks like your skin is too thin to belong on an Internet message board.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:05 am

Using the same rationale as your view on Westcarr...

Your first post was stupid, hence you are stupid.

You probably aren't really, it's just your post was in judging Westcarr on one preseason game, where there's half a season of evidence to go on that was much better.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:20 am

You cant really judge players in pre season. Heavy legs from all those training sessions.

Arent we doing two a day?

farn81

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Im not judging him on that single game, its something i have always thought, but in my eyes the Burton game highlighted his inability to play at any tempo. Like i said, i think he is a good player and in a different scheme he could do really well, but playing him in the hole with the pace that we play at won't work. Sawyers is much quicker on the ball and is willing to play that killer pass into the space, which Lalkovic is always looking to exploit. Westcarr however, doesn't seem to be quick enough to do this. I would love to be proven wrong, and i was pleased when he signed his new deal but i would prefer to see him as a back up rather than a starter. Just my opinion.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:43 pm

farn81 wrote:Im not judging him on that single game, its something i have always thought, but in my eyes the Burton game highlighted his inability to play at any tempo. Like i said, i think he is a good player and in a different scheme he could do really well, but playing him in the hole with the pace that we play at won't work. Sawyers is much quicker on the ball and is willing to play that killer pass into the space, which Lalkovic is always looking to exploit. Westcarr however, doesn't seem to be quick enough to do this. I would love to be proven wrong, and i was pleased when he signed his new deal but i would prefer to see him as a back up rather than a starter. Just my opinion.

But it is the same scheme as last season where he helped us win many a game, I don't understand.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Sawyers can spot a through ball, but often can't execute the pass.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season