Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Burton Albion (A) Friendly - Friday 26/7/13

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Burton Albion (A) Friendly - Friday 26/7/13

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Pre-season friendlies continue at Burton tonight, with a kick-off of 7.30pm.

Please do not rely on the club's official site, which has us playing Burton on (would you believe) Saturday 4th August. I guess that's from last year, or the year before.....

Finch

Re: Burton Albion (A) Friendly - Friday 26/7/13

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:55 pm

I'd expect Deano's first 11 to take shape tonight and be given a good hour or so together. Can't see him wanting to do this against Villa, three days before the start of the season.

I think most of the team is quite obvious, though I'm not sure who the three attacking midfielders/forwards will be behind Lalkovic. What do people reckon?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Finch wrote:I'd expect Deano's first 11 to take shape tonight and be given a good hour or so together. Can't see him wanting to do this against Villa, three days before the start of the season.

I think most of the team is quite obvious, though I'm not sure who the three attacking midfielders/forwards will be behind Lalkovic. What do people reckon?

I still think Lalkovic will be one of the three, just to complicate matters. I think he's the Paterson replacement.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:08 pm

That would presumably make Hewitt the striker, with Westcarr feeding from the wing. Looking at some of Lalkovic's performances on YouTube I would guess he won't be too far away from the scoring action though!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:That would presumably make Hewitt the striker, with Westcarr feeding from the wing. Looking at some of Lalkovic's performances on YouTube I would guess he won't be too far away from the scoring action though!

That's why he's an ideal Pato replacement, if the goals follow. I think they will.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:22 pm

I think to much is made of which of the forward positions will be covered by which player, was one of the best things about us second half of last season, attacking players popping up all over the place, equally as comfortable on the ball wherever they were. Westcarr is definitely best with a free roll, his greatest ability is finding space, and creating space for other players, so he is the last one I would isolate to the center forward roll. Other than that we can do pretty much what we want.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Personally, I'd have Lalkovic, Westcarr, and Baxendale behind Hewitt.

However, Hemmings and Sawyers have both looked pretty useful in pre season. So has Keiron Whatsisname too.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:04 pm

King Crimson wrote:Personally, I'd have Lalkovic, Westcarr, and Baxendale behind Hewitt.

However, Hemmings and Sawyers have both looked pretty useful in pre season. So has Keiron Whatsisname too.

I think that is what I would go with as a starting point, and for what it's worth I also think Deano will go with that too. The good thing is Hemmings and Sawyers are both very different options, which can only be a good thing.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:03 pm

1-0 down at halftime in a match of few chances so far, according to the OS.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:18 pm

Doesnt sound as if we are playing great

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:49 pm

We lost 1-0 to an early Rene Howe goal. A bit disappointing, but no more a signifier for the new season than our defeat of Leeds.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:03 pm

A mixed team with only kids as Subs... Not reading too much into this as apparently another match behind closed doors is planned. Most entertainment for me was a disagreement with one of Butons WAGS who was sitting in the Walsall seats... What's wrong with calling him a dick for not releasing the ball? :mrgreen:

martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:23 pm

Just got back. Neither side were great, we were a better side second half. The midfield was none existent first half but I wouldn't lose sleep over tonight. Rene Howe and their centre back must have jacamo accounts, they were mossiv!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Just got back too, was pretty depressing - the only players who had a good game were Benning and Lalkovic, every other player was rather "meh." No idea what was going on with Deano's mind though, deploying two youth team central midfielder's on the right wing, so evidently our right side was almost useless. Morris looks good in spells, but lacks the finishing of Pato, hopefully that will come with time like it did with Pato.

Also saw someone with a upthesaddlers.com shirt at half time :lol:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Also saw someone with a upthesaddlers.com shirt at half time :lol:

That was me! :D

Disappointing game from our point of view but with Taylor, Featherstone, Hemmings, Baxendale, Sawyers and Hewitt all taking no part at all, I'm not too sure what can be drawn from the game. We treated the match as if it were a training exercise, seeing how many passes we could string together. Unfortunately, matches are decided by counting up the goals - not the passes :evil: We rarely troubled their 'keeper, with Lalkovic's shot hitting the post in the 57th minute (when he should have scored) being the closest that we came. Tippy-tappy football is great if it creates a shooting opportunity but without that end-product, it means nothing. "Possession with a Purpose" should be our motto.

Burton are a physically strong side, not dirty, but were not afraid to use their greater physical strength. It was a good learning curve for the likes of Flanagan and Lalkovic who are both very talented on the ball (probably the two of the most technically gifted players on the pitch, in fact) but a bit of "League Two brawn" won't do them any harm! :) - and that's not meant to be patronising to Burton. The goal came in the second minute when Downing and Butler were both drawn out of position (not for the last time, tonight), Benning, quite rightly, moved into the middle to cover the glaring gap but, in doing so, left the huge Rene Howe totally unmarked and he had a relatively easy chance to score (which he did). Our wide players, Flanagan on the right and Morris on the left, while both very good with the ball at their feet, are both clueless defensively and offer no support to their full-backs. The more-experienced James Chambers coped better but the less-experienced Benning was often left exposed. In matches that matter, this tactical weakness would be readily exploited by our opponents.

In summary, if we had some-one who could finish, we would surely have won. It's up to Sawyers and/or Hewitt to step up to the plate and make names for themselves (unless we're considering late bids for Wayne Rooney and Gareth Bale, of course!).

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:53 pm

In the same way as beating Leeds was nice but meant nothing, so does this loss.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:56 am

kshammer wrote:In the same way as beating Leeds was nice but meant nothing, so does this loss.

Ohhhh, please allow us to enjoy the rollercoaster of "We'm gonna win the league by Christmas" and "We're cack, Smith out" in the space of a week. It's a UTS tradition after all :-)

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:00 am

Match Summary:
For 89 minutes their goalie had nothing to do apart from watch the sunlight pass through the ears of some of our fans who wanted to know if Betty Brewer took it up the arse.

First time I've seen them this season and couldn't glean too much from it. James Chambers looked out of sorts and let the Brewers left-back drift past him for the goal; he appeared to be wondering whether he'd left the gas on or back door unlocked.

The midfield looked light (which it was) but the right side was hardly used, particularly in the first half as Flanagan was left to rot on the wing.

In the second half Westcarr breaking on goal opted to pass (probably the right decision) to Lalkovic rather than shoot, the latter dropping a stitch by hitting the post, and that was the nearest we got to scoring.

They hit/clipped the bar from a free kick late on, but overall it was pretty much a dull affair.

Burton looked well drilled and set up for a good season in Div4.

We need to create a lot more chances and put them away if we are to progress from last season.

P.S. The chips were nice.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:51 am

tinned wrote:
kshammer wrote:In the same way as beating Leeds was nice but meant nothing, so does this loss.

Ohhhh, please allow us to enjoy the rollercoaster of "We'm gonna win the league by Christmas" and "We're eartha, Smith out" in the space of a week. It's a UTS tradition after all :-)

I'll wait until we get bent over 3-0 at home again first game of the season to join that bandwagon thank you :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:07 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
tinned wrote:

Ohhhh, please allow us to enjoy the rollercoaster of "We'm gonna win the league by Christmas" and "We're eartha, Smith out" in the space of a week. It's a UTS tradition after all :-)

I'll wait until we get bent over 3-0 at home again first game of the season to join that bandwagon thank you :lol:

and me :D

farn81

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:23 am

It was a pretty poor game, but like someone said, it wasn't a full strength team. I think last night proved that Westcarr just isn't good enough. Sawyers definitely needs to be playing in the hole behind the striker. Preferably behind Hewitt with Lalkovic and Hemmings on either wing. Add Chambers and Mantom in the middle and we have a pretty solid midfield/attack.

On another point, whilst i think O'Donell has looked brilliant at times, especially his communication and his shot stopping, has anybody else noticed his inability to claim balls in the 6 yard box? thats 2 goals in 2 games now that have been scored from crosses that have landed inside the 6 yard box.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:30 am

That was dreadful, that is all. Both Chambers brothers and Mantom were poor, Morris looked bright as did Lalkovic. Slightly concerned with Lalkovic and his selfish nature, tries to do something too much everytime and hasn't quite got his mindset in the right place when it comes to final delivery, if he works on that his pace and trickery will cause defenders nightmares. Westcarr was poor, still not sure why people were bothered about signing him.

Butler MOTM for me and O'Donnell looked okay bar the mess up on the throw out.

Burton were physically stronger than us and well drilled but generally looked pretty poor.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:45 am

farn81 wrote:It was a pretty poor game, but like someone said, it wasn't a full strength team. I think last night proved that Westcarr just isn't good enough. Sawyers definitely needs to be playing in the hole behind the striker. Preferably behind Hewitt with Lalkovic and Hemmings on either wing. Add Chambers and Mantom in the middle and we have a pretty solid midfield/attack.

On another point, whilst i think O'Donell has looked brilliant at times, especially his communication and his shot stopping, has anybody else noticed his inability to claim balls in the 6 yard box? thats 2 goals in 2 games now that have been scored from crosses that have landed inside the 6 yard box.

Yes of course it does, a meaningless friendly in a weakened team confirms much more than the 15 games or so he played in division 3 last season. Jesus Christ on a bike.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Meanwhile at the cricket, the Bears did indeed smash the Pears but Swifty rocked up in the wrong footwear to scupper his chances in the Mascot race. Quite a few Walsall fans amongst a well oiled crowd.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:41 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
farn81 wrote:It was a pretty poor game, but like someone said, it wasn't a full strength team. I think last night proved that Westcarr just isn't good enough. Sawyers definitely needs to be playing in the hole behind the striker. Preferably behind Hewitt with Lalkovic and Hemmings on either wing. Add Chambers and Mantom in the middle and we have a pretty solid midfield/attack.

Yes of course it does, a meaningless friendly in a weakened team confirms much more than the 15 games or so he played in division 3 last season. Jesus Christ on a bike.

Just what I was thinking. What a fudge stupid comment.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Just what I was thinking. What a donald stupid comment.

I actually thought most of our better work went through Westcarr last night.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:25 pm

Didn't go last night, so can't really comment about his performance.

I feel Westcarr gets a fair bit of unfair stick though to be honest. He isn't your typical "in the hole" player, he doesn't look like that kind of player physically for a start. He isn't going to dribble past anyone, but he is actually a very clever player. Very unselfish too, will often try and pick out a pass for someone in a better position rather than going for glory. I don't think he will ever win some over, because they have already made their minds up, fair enough. I'd like to bet if you add his goals and assists up at the end of the season, his numbers will be higher than anyone else (barring injury) That is with out all the good work he does off the ball so well.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:26 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Just what I was thinking. What a donald stupid comment.

I actually thought most of our better work went through Westcarr last night.

Couldn't have done - we lost, therefore it must be Westcarr's fault - 'tis the rules.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Smith out.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:47 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Didn't go last night, so can't really comment about his performance.

I feel Westcarr gets a fair bit of unfair stick though to be honest. He isn't your typical "in the hole" player, he doesn't look like that kind of player physically for a start. He isn't going to dribble past anyone, but he is actually a very clever player. Very unselfish too, will often try and pick out a pass for someone in a better position rather than going for glory. I don't think he will ever win some over, because they have already made their minds up, fair enough. I'd like to bet if you add his goals and assists up at the end of the season, his numbers will be higher than anyone else (barring injury) That is with out all the good work he does off the ball so well.

Good post. Westcarr doesn't run around like a headless chicken, chasing lost causes so many don't think he does much. He definitely added something to our attacking play last season and that is more important than any perceived individual performances.

Next
Return to 2013-14 Season