Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leeds (H) Friendly - Saturday 20/07/2013

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Re: Leeds (H) Friendly - Saturday 20/07/2013

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:27 pm

In terms of betting, 11-4 for us to finish in the top half, might be worth lumping a bit of dough on that to cover a couple of cheeky bets on a 7-1 top 6 and a 16-1 promotion bet. If they all come in you're laughing, I really fancy us for at least a top half finish to be honest!

What are peoples thoughts? :?:

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:32 pm

Bee_Leevers wrote:In terms of betting, 11-4 for us to finish in the top half, might be worth lumping a bit of dough on that to cover a couple of cheeky bets on a 7-1 top 6 and a 16-1 promotion bet. If they all come in you're laughing, I really fancy us for at least a top half finish to be honest!

I seriously think we are winning the league mate not just because of friendly results I just believe we have a very good squad even if we don't sign anyone else and the best manager in the league, hey I might be carried away but I seriously believe this so roll on tranmere on august the 3rd :D :D

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:44 pm

bigbadsad wrote:
Bee_Leevers wrote:In terms of betting, 11-4 for us to finish in the top half, might be worth lumping a bit of dough on that to cover a couple of cheeky bets on a 7-1 top 6 and a 16-1 promotion bet. If they all come in you're laughing, I really fancy us for at least a top half finish to be honest!

I seriously think we are winning the league mate not just because of friendly results I just believe we have a very good squad even if we don't sign anyone else and the best manager in the league, hey I might be carried away but I seriously believe this so roll on tranmere on august the 3rd :D :D

i share your optimism, we had the best team in the league last season, i ain't seen us yet but if deano has seamlessly replaced the 3 who left, we ain't gonna have another slump like last year's. anybody got the odds?

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:09 pm

wfc & chips wrote:
bigbadsad wrote:

i share your optimism, we had the best team in the league last season, i ain't seen us yet but if deano has seamlessly replaced the 3 who left, we ain't gonna have another slump like last year's. anybody got the odds?

I also share your optimism, but you still have to be realistic at this stage, can these players perform week in week out, especially through the inevitable challenging conditions the winter will bring. Let's not get carried away at this stage, because that will only bring disappointment if we fail!

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:58 pm

I can only echo the views of other members, it was a very impressive display against a chamionship outfit (who you would have thought were the league 1 side based on their and our performances). The players Smith and ROK have brought in clearly fit in with the philosophy of the club. It's also refreshing to see the depth of the squad, when the 7 substitutes were made it didn't affect the rhythm or performance levels - one could argue they slightly improved. 2nd game of pre-season for me after Halesowen, was very impressed with O'Donnell - he will be our no. 1, Troy Hewitt fits the Grigg role perfectly and could be better, Sawyers could be a massive player this season IMO, very intelligent, skillful and quick. All in all a very good day, role on Tuesday and the return of Pato (who I hope will get an outstanding reception).

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Hmmmm, but can they do it on a wet Tuesday night in Sheffield? :D

Play offs, Promotion pushes? Maybe, probably not, im just gonna enjoy the exciting football again.

UTS

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:39 pm

SaddlerCraig wrote:Sounds like sour grapes from Mcdermott. No mention of how well we did today; more about how cack Leeds were.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x124n3 ... evJdFOkON0

McDermott quoted in today's Sunday Mercury:- "Walsall were very good' They played well, have a good manager and I'm sure they'll have a good season".

Sounds ok to me. After all, why should he be bothered about how we played? He is presumably well-paid to transform Warnock's legacy into a promotion-challenging side. Purely on the basis of yesterday's performance, he has quite a job on his hands, without concerning himself with us!!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Indeed, but not sure on the change of philosophy Peda, Reading were never pretty.

Leeds have such a cack squad though. When Mcdermott was saying "in football you have to run" i just laughed. Why hasnt he signed anyone who can run then :lol: Luke Varney on the wing :lol:

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:49 pm

bee, i don't consider it unrealistic that we have a great shout this year, but if it doesn't happen, my only disappointment will be if we don't play good stuff.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
SaddlerCraig wrote:Sounds like sour grapes from Mcdermott. No mention of how well we did today; more about how cack Leeds were.

McDermott quoted in today's Sunday Mercury:- "Walsall were very good' They played well, have a good manager and I'm sure they'll have a good season".

Sounds ok to me. After all, why should he be bothered about how we played? He is presumably well-paid to transform Warnock's legacy into a promotion-challenging side. Purely on the basis of yesterday's performance, he has quite a job on his hands, without concerning himself with us!!!

I'm with you on this. People are finding offence in the littlest things. Brian McDermott doesn't have to eulogise about us, he has to run Leeds. Terribly, I hope.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
SaddlerCraig wrote:Sounds like sour grapes from Mcdermott. No mention of how well we did today; more about how eartha Leeds were.

I'm with you on this. People are finding offence in the littlest things. Brian McDermott doesn't have to eulogise about us, he has to run Leeds. Terribly, I hope.

Indeed, I'd be quite disturbed if Dean Smith came out and said " We only won cos Leeds were rubbish" As funny as it would be :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Promotion? Give me 12th, pretty football, a few late goals (hopefully at the custard bowl), a good record against rivals and perhaps a 4th/5th round cup run and I'm perfectly happy. Even if it doesn't at first, the lack of financial input will catch up with us over a season, especially with the buying power of Bristol/Posh/Wolves who could throw £1m upfront fees around in January if they aren't at the top. Be positive, but realistic too. Didn't go yesterday as I've all but given up on friendlies after years of looking forward to them and wanting to watch paint dry instead by the end. Glad we were good and judging the highlights we played really well.

Looking forward to the new season, onwards and upwards!

UTS.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:52 am

Sadders wrote:Promotion? Give me 12th, pretty football, a few late goals (hopefully at the custard bowl), a good record against rivals and perhaps a 4th/5th round cup run and I'm perfectly happy. Even if it doesn't at first, the lack of financial input will catch up with us over a season, especially with the buying power of Bristol/Posh/Wolves who could throw £1m upfront fees around in January if they aren't at the top. Be positive, but realistic too. Didn't go yesterday as I've all but given up on friendlies after years of looking forward to them and wanting to watch paint dry instead by the end. Glad we were good and judging the highlights we played really well.

Looking forward to the new season, onwards and upwards!

UTS.

Yep, they all keep throwing money at it, it doesn't always work out as is seen so often, and they keep getting themselves in more and more trouble. Mean while we are plodding along with a long term plan, that seems to be working nicely. I too wont be upset if we don't finish as high as last season, but don't be surprised if we go one better either. This is a nice side Deano has put together here, I'd say it's not quite as strong as the end of last season, but definitely stronger than the beginning of last season.

The future is bright.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:44 am

I think that we will finish comfortably in the top half and 11/4 is better value than some of the other bets I can see.The one that caught my eye was the group list on Skybet which has us at 11/4 to win a group containing Ourselves, Carlisle, Oldham and Port Fail.

Nothing on the spreads yet, where I like to ply my trade.

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:09 am

chestersaddler wrote:
I think that we will finish comfortably in the top half and 11/4 is better value than some of the other bets I can see.

That price jumped out at me the other day too. Almost 3-1 on us finishing at least 12th looks like decent value. The 8-13 on us finishing above Shrewsbury is also a good bet even at odds on. Buying our points should be a no-brainer. £100 a point this season, Chester? ;-)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:15 am

bangsection wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
I think that we will finish comfortably in the top half and 11/4 is better value than some of the other bets I can see.

That price jumped out at me the other day too. Almost 3-1 on us finishing at least 12th looks like decent value. The 8-13 on us finishing above Shrewsbury is also a good bet even at odds on. Buying our points should be a no-brainer. £100 a point this season, Chester? ;-)

Have you seen a quote? Last year I bought at 52 following the 3-0 defeat on the opening day. I think that the opening spread will be something like 56-58 this season though.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:17 pm

What was the attendance on Saturday?

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Just under 4,000

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Just under 4,000

Including 2,193 Saddlers.

SWS1

Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Anybody know why the BBC doesn't have the Leeds result in our section? Was it a last-minute arrangement that the Beeb simply hasn't caught up with?
:?:

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season