Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe Alexandra (A), League One 27/4/13

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
SWS1

Re: Crewe Alexandra (A), League One 27/4/13

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm really disappointed with today's result after seeing us having all those attempts on goal and Randy Brandy hitting the post. It's been a great season but could have been oh so much better with a little bit of donalding luck along the way. (I don't think the luck has evened out in our favour).
Still, glass more than half full :D

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:48 pm

SWS1 wrote:I'm really disappointed with today's result after seeing us having all those attempts on goal and Randy Brandy hitting the post. It's been a great season but could have been oh so much better with a little bit of donalding luck along the way. (I don't think the luck has evened out in our favour).
Still, glass more than half full :D

No such thing as luck as my lucky jumper has proved, we got exactly what we deserved. Rather predictable end to the season judging by our performances in the last 5 or 6 games.........shame for those that went today :(

Still at least we've got the cup final against Stafford Rangers on Wednesday to look forward to. 8)

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Just back from a game where a dodgy penalty decision and the games only moment of quality was the difference. We played ok, kept the ball well, but lacked penetration. Grigg again seemed isolated when he had the ball, which has been the case for the last few games.

The ref was a bit of a homer, we didn't seem to get a decision. Chambers being book mid way through the first half seemed to hamper his performance. Featherstone or James Chambers for man of the match. A bit poor of our fans to invade the pitch. Even more so when the players came back out, and visibly being waved back by Deano and the lads.

Great season, hopefully more of the same next year. UTS

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Poor display really, try to do too much in the final third instead of shooting 80% of the time. Cracking turnout and some brilliant banter flying around. The ref was pathetic as was their support. Thought Featherstone, J Chambers and Paterson had decent games but it was pretty flat all round. Hey-ho onto next season, first game Dingles away please :mrgreen: Expect Brandy and Grigg to be gone by the end of May - sign Sterling-James and get a goalscorer in (Malbon from Kiddy or Bowman from Hereford) and push for promotion next season! UTS forever

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Didn't deserve anything but that was the worst penalty decision in the history of poor penalty decisions.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:03 pm

Feel a little bit embarrassed of the display after the final whistle, some portions pitch invading twice even when Deano was begging us not to. Always the small minority letting the majority down.
Last edited by JonnyOwen on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bescot42
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Really disappointed with those who invaded the pitch. I was looking forward to cheering our players on after the final whistle but couldn't due to the selfishness of those who couldn't stay in their seats.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:50 pm

The lino on the far side became more and more erratic. Dunno if he was bored but the pen decision was a shocker and then he missed a clear offside in the build up to the second. Nob.

Good following, good noise - let's have more of that on a more consistent basis next year. Silly to invade the pitch a second time when Deano and the lads were waving them back so they could all come over and say ta. I do suspect though that one or two of our fans had had a drink before the game. Lots of sirens in the hour or two before the match.

Shame the unbeaten run ended and shame the season has ended on a bit of a damp squib, but my what a season. Well done lads.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:17 pm

bescot42 wrote:Really disappointed with those who invaded the pitch. I was looking forward to cheering our players on after the final whistle but couldn't due to the selfishness of those who couldn't stay in their seats.

I'll bet they were standing up as well....

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:42 pm

It was a non-event but with the team they put out we should be winning. To be a decent team going forward a bit of ruthlessness would be beneficial.

Saying that, what a shexy season.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:21 pm

I suppose it was a good job the awful penalty decision and missed offside weren't crucial in us gaining a play-off place.Thought first half was poor but we were a bit better in the second. Still all in all a much better season than I (or the bookies) expected.

bescot42
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Having already moaned about the pitch invaders, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the game as a while, mainly due to the atmosphere rather than the team's performance. It was great to see so many fans cheering Walsall on throughout the game, even when we were losing.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Just got back home.

Two ridiculously poor decisions were the difference between two teams playing an end of season friendly. I thought the performance was a bit of a let down for the fantastic support shown by the fans.

Good day though - especially meeting a number of UTS regulars for the first time - great to put faces to names.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:55 pm

I think the last Orders boozer is still swimming in lager :D

gray
Glitterati

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:19 pm

It was quality in there. They must have made a few quid.
Last edited by gray on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Ive just realised that at some point yesterday I tried to buy a gerbil.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Just got back home.

Two ridiculously poor decisions were the difference between two teams playing an end of season friendly. I thought the performance was a bit of a let down for the fantastic support shown by the fans.

Good day though - especially meeting a number of UTS regulars for the first time - great to put faces to names.

I just remembered that I met you yesterday. Lovely.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

I just remembered that I met you yesterday. Lovely.

I met your pet heard for the first time yesterday.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Were you the old bloke in the weird metal band cardigan? ;-)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:54 pm

bangsection wrote:

Well, really...I'll have you know that chestersaddler is a mere spring chicken compared to some of us :?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:10 am

bangsection wrote:

That's it - the one with "Ye Olde Corpse Road" written on :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 am

Nice to meet you finally Chester, I recognised your face, didn't realise who you were. Pleasure to meet you.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:39 am

P.S

It was an appalling game of football, quite frankly to turn out a performance so spineless with so many people from Walsall there to show their appreciation of what has been a great season was embarrassing, and quite annoying to me anyway. I don't agree with players going through the motions, just because it's the last game, and there is nothing to play for, which is clearly what happened.

It didn't spoil my day, but it did annoy me a little, and we finished below MK Dons on the strength of it.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:36 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:

That's it - the one with "Ye Olde Corpse Road" written on :wink:

Bloody greebs.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:54 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:It was an appalling game of football, quite frankly to turn out a performance so spineless with so many people from Walsall there to show their appreciation of what has been a great season was embarrassing, and quite annoying to me anyway. I don't agree with players going through the motions, just because it's the last game, and there is nothing to play for, which is clearly what happened.

It didn't spoil my day, but it did annoy me a little, and we finished below MK Dons on the strength of it.

I take your point, but I wouldn't quite go that far. For me, we looked like a young side that had run out of steam. I didn't disagree with Smith giving Featherstone a run out and personally would have probably given Hemmings more of a game too.

The disappointment for me was Grigg, who looked the very player who got displaced by Bowerman at the start of the season.

Saturday showed how lucky we were to stay injury free pretty much all season. An extra couple of half decent players to come of the bench next season wouldn't go amiss.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:59 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:It was an appalling game of football, quite frankly to turn out a performance so spineless with so many people from Walsall there to show their appreciation of what has been a great season was embarrassing, and quite annoying to me anyway. I don't agree with players going through the motions, just because it's the last game, and there is nothing to play for, which is clearly what happened.

I take your point, but I wouldn't quite go that far. For me, we looked like a young side that had run out of steam. I didn't disagree with Smith giving Featherstone a run out and personally would have probably given Hemmings more of a game too.

The disappointment for me was Grigg, who looked the very player who got displaced by Bowerman at the start of the season.

Saturday showed how lucky we were to stay injury free pretty much all season. An extra couple of half decent players to come of the bench next season wouldn't go amiss.

Agree. We had a lot of creativity and possession, but lacked cutting edge and decent shots on target. Paterson must have forgotten his three Weetabix, because for all his good work his shots had the power of a backpass.

Just a tired team against a young Crewe side. That lack of steam cost us a play off place ultimately.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm

1st time i've been impressed with holden's performance (still wouldn't keep him). i was, however, utterly arseholed.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Agree. We had a lot of creativity and possession, but lacked cutting edge and decent shots on target. Paterson must have forgotten his three Weetabix, because for all his good work his shots had the power of a backpass.

Just a tired team against a young Crewe side. That lack of steam cost us a play off place ultimately.

I was tired too, but I managed to stay awake :lol: Only just mind.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:26 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I was tired too, but I managed to stay awake :lol: Only just mind.

:D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:08 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Nice to meet you finally Chester, I recognised your face, didn't realise who you were. Pleasure to meet you.

Same here.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season