Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury ( H ) League One Sat 20/4/13

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Perkwins

Re: Bury ( H ) League One Sat 20/4/13

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:20 pm

bangsection wrote:
longdogs wrote:
bangsection wrote:Nevertheless, think Smith's taken this team as far as he can. Time to bring in someone with experience at this level like Stan Ternent or Ronnie Jepson. Or even one of the new breed of managers like Keith Alexander.

I hear Ian Atkins is available.

Good shout. Dave Penney is another who would have got this squad promoted in his sleep. Good name for headlines for the front page too. "Penney Drops In", "Penney For Your Thoughts", "Penney Far-Thing" (if we played long ball under him) are just a few I've thought of in literally minutes.

No thanks to all of the above.

In Deano we trust.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Perkwins wrote:
bangsection wrote:
longdogs wrote:
bangsection wrote:Nevertheless, think Smith's taken this team as far as he can. Time to bring in someone with experience at this level like Stan Ternent or Ronnie Jepson. Or even one of the new breed of managers like Keith Alexander.

I hear Ian Atkins is available.

Good shout. Dave Penney is another who would have got this squad promoted in his sleep. Good name for headlines for the front page too. "Penney Drops In", "Penney For Your Thoughts", "Penney Far-Thing" (if we played long ball under him) are just a few I've thought of in literally minutes.

No thanks to all of the above.

In Deano we trust.

Is this your first whoooosh? :D

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 pm

I see the recent high standard of performance has got to the head of some idiots on here then? I suggest you hire the DVD of our last few years before we return (Eventually) to that sort of turgid crap in the next few years, if not sooner - that's the way the 'budget pyramid' works. We aren't going to get lucky with good players every year. Anyway, the players were like the fans, lifeless and flat. We were poor but never looked in real danger, unless Holden was near the ball. He's a lovely bloke who's been through some hard times recently, but he's garbage and has to be released.

We missed Taylor and Butler and our movement off the ball was of a lesser standard than since Christmas. I think we can rest the case for those of you who slated Butler in our bad run, when he was clearly still the best of a bad bunch. We miss his leadership and his 'up and at them' style seems to rub off on Downing who has looked unsure of himself since playing next to Holden. Purkiss has been a good player but he resorts to hoofing it more than James Chambers does at right back, we look unbalanced with him lumping it and Chambers playing as a right footed player at left back.

Nice move and goal for Brandy who himself did his best to create more chances, but couldn't resist the odd dive. Chambers was quiet and Mantom did okay.

Overall a below par performance not helped by a woeful home crowd, but nothing of the sort some people are making out. You all support a club with a bottom 4 budget at this level set your sights lower.

PS - Not a fan, but Hemmings did okay in the second half today.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:3 losses in five months.

That's right and in the previous two months we only narrowly lost 7 and unluckily drew 7. Talking of 7, in the last 7 games we've drawn 6 which isn't quite 7 admittedly.

Smith for England :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Cully wrote:

That's right and in the previous two months we only narrowly lost 7 and unluckily drew 7. Talking of 7, in the last 7 games we've drawn 6 which isn't quite 7 admittedly.

Hi Cully!

Why would you put Smith for England? I think Woy is doing his utmost with a set of overrated retards.

Maybe one day though, eh?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:11 pm

It was something of an "end of term" performance today. Having gone a goal up (and a lovely goal it was too) and then getting the ball in their net 5 minutes afterwards only to see it disallowed, we seemed to sit back which gave Bury more of a share of possession than their skill level would normally merit. The enforced changes in our defence led to some comical moments, Johnstone occasionally demonstrating his lack of confidence in his full-backs by venturing way out of his goal - a very early Bury foray saw a header rebound off the post to safety. I thought Downing showed maturity as a defender, always trying to start a passing movement off rather than lumping it any old where.....but he was the exception, and far too many of our clearances were gladly intercepted by Bury midfielders.

A word about the referee.....well, I can't use the word I was thinking of because the swear filter would go into hyperdrive. He did book two of Bury's players, but so many horrendous tackles were ignored even when they were virtually under his nose. Brandy's reputation as a penalty earner has obviously spread, and perhaps referees are inclined to look upon his treatment by opposition defenders with something of a jaundiced eye now. Certainly he was upended on a regular basis - it stood out more in a way, because he was the one forward we had who really would run at their defence - and some of those tackles involved not just taking his ankles, but most of his legs and part of the lower torso as well. Paterson also suffered from the Bury gorillas, and it was no surprise to see him substituted in favour of a lively Hemmings.

You always had the feeling that one goal was never going to be enough, and sure enough in the 90th minute another mix-up in the Walsall defence led to the farcical situation of the ball creeping towards our goal line, not a Walsall player within 10 yards, but three (yes, 3!!) Bury forwards shepherding it over the line. As they didn't actually touch the ball I can only presume that they were adjudged to be not interfering with play.

A final word about the pitch.....I know it's the same for both sides, but we've developed a lovely silky fluid passing game over the past few months and this pitch was all you needed to neutralise those skills. It was like trying to play a passing game in a farmer's field in places. That was OK for Bury, who tended to lump it - we adopted the same tactics. I imagine that silky passing is cultivated at our state-of-the-art training facility, but the Banks's pitch really needs a load of tlc in the close season....

What a cracking season though - and how much more optimistic I am now about next season than I was 12 months ago!!!!!

UTS :D

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Sadders wrote:I see the recent high standard of performance has got to the head of some idiots on here then? I suggest you hire the DVD of our last few years before we return (Eventually) to that sort of turgid crap in the next few years, if not sooner - that's the way the 'budget pyramid' works. We aren't going to get lucky with good players every year. Anyway, the players were like the fans, lifeless and flat. We were poor but never looked in real danger, unless Holden was near the ball. He's a lovely bloke who's been through some hard times recently, but he's garbage and has to be released.

We missed Taylor and Butler and our movement off the ball was of a lesser standard than since Christmas. I think we can rest the case for those of you who slated Butler in our bad run, when he was clearly still the best of a bad bunch. We miss his leadership and his 'up and at them' style seems to rub off on Downing who has looked unsure of himself since playing next to Holden. Purkiss has been a good player but he resorts to hoofing it more than James Chambers does at right back, we look unbalanced with him lumping it and Chambers playing as a right footed player at left back.

Nice move and goal for Brandy who himself did his best to create more chances, but couldn't resist the odd dive. Chambers was quiet and Mantom did okay.

Overall a below par performance not helped by a woeful home crowd, but nothing of the sort some people are making out. You all support a club with a bottom 4 budget at this level set your sights lower.

Completely agree, I was sat right inline with the half-way line in the disabled area and when Bowsie tried to liven things up we were still out sung in the volume stakes by 5 Bury fans and an inflatable, either it's the acoustic's or we really are a p1ss poor set of fans at home.

p.s going off tangent slightly, but for a professional football club to not have any food at half time (unless you like Yorkie bars) is quite amateurish and disgusting, a queue of 20-30 people could not believe it when I was arguing with the spotty lad behind the counter over the lack of food, I then argued with the steward to let me round to the corpse stand to try and get some food as my client had not eaten at home thinking he could get something at the match and after afew F's n B's he let me in to find that not 1 kiosk had any food whatsoever. I have later found out by the senior steward that the last few seasons they have had food left over after the last game of the season and perhaps it was a cost cutting measure, I just shook my head in disbelief that the club could let so much money go back in peoples pockets because they did not want to throw 50 pies away or give it to a charity soup kitchen (if they are not out of date). Me and my client would have spent £10 between us so how much money did they lose out on?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Cully wrote:

Hi Cully!

Why would you put Smith for England? I think Woy is doing his utmost with a set of overrated retards.

Maybe one day though, eh?

Hello McBentos!

.......and why not?

Splendid end to the season not only for Walsall but also for Kidderminster managed by someone who isn't on the limited ex football league dross manager carousel radar of those club chairmen and their knowledgeable fans because they've 'never heard of him' because he's in non league football. Incidentally, he was ignored after twice applying for the vacant managers job at Walsall.

Unfortunately I will not be attending the Crewe game because there is no chance of glory or because I've got to go somewhere important.

See you all next season..................................PERIOD :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:01 pm

I'm glad he's got on so well, but my interest in Kidderminster ended when I left Stourbridge and I no longer shared a railway line.

In other news, I have no idea why I need to know about the Kidderminster manager. Thanks anyway, bro. See you next season.

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:35 pm

We were desperate today. Our goal was the only moment of quality. Credit to Bury though they didn't let our creative players get into the game apart from that moment. Normally we would have Taylor bombing down the left and providing us with more width but he was sadly missed today. Mantom is a good player but he plays within his comfort zone, doing the simple stuff well but not driving the play forward. The whole team was flat and missing Butler's spirit and also his defending. There were a few mix-ups between Holden and Johnstone, not necessarily Holden's fault though but the back four in Butler's absence haven't looked a cohesive unit at all. Holden looks a yard off the pace and has to rely on his determination to get him through games. Chambers is missed over at right-back as well as there is not enough passing from the back when Purkiss fills in, although he is defensively sound. Grigg barely had a sniff all game.
All the subs were disappointing, especially Sawyers who did nothing to impress. Was the Bury goal offside? The bloody pillars were in the way so I have no idea.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:51 pm

In all fairness, we did get slightly lucky with a few quality players though? Grigg hasnt shown much in the last 4 years and Bandy was turgid for his first 8-10 games.

We wont replace them in all honesty, but i look forward to Baxendale becoming the new jesus cause the lads qualitayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Up the saddlers.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:31 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:This afternoon's performance gave the impression the players were only too aware of how unlikely we were to make the playoffs and frankly, we were rubbish.

To be fair to Bury, I've seen a few teams play worse than that this season, but they lacked any kind of leadership on the park and looked pretty toothless up front - two things we've suffered from in previous seasons, so it's easy to see why they've struggled. They did at least try to play football on the grass though, which is ore than we could muster for large parts of today's game.

People on here talk about the lack of decent crowds.
Well here you have the answer, right before your very eyes.
I'm not in the country so wasn't able to go but if the comment "They did at least try to play football on the grass though, which is ore than we could muster for large parts of today's game." is true then that's embarassing for my brother who took along a couple of folk in his office who expressed an interest in seeing this brilliant footie he had been talking about.
Will they come back? I haven't spoken to him yet but what do you think?
If the football is what is says on the packet then you've got consistency and you've got the chance of building a fan base.
If not then expect what we're getting.
Don't blame "the people of Walsall".

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:00 am

As most people have said, it was just a real end of season game. Sometimes they are open, with both teams just going for it, plenty of chances and goal mouth action. This was the complete opposite. Everyone just seemed to be in holiday mode from the kick off. Then, without mustering a chance beforehand, we scored a quality team goal. From then until half time we could have had another, and looked the only side likely to go on and win. I think a second would have opened the flood gates.

After half time we were as bad as we have been all season. To me it seemed like the players knew that Swindon were winning at half time, so gave up the ghost. Brandy looked dangerous throughout and looked the only player likely to produce anything going forward. Felt sorry for Grigg today, he had no decent service and when he had the ball, had to hold it for eternity! Hemmings was lively when he came on, he's worth giving a second chance. Johnstone was my MOTM. Dominated his area, got key decisions spot on, a season loan next year would be ideal if we could get it. He just seems to know what he's doing, if that makes any sence?

Can't really comment on their goal, couldn't tell from the FTg Lower if they were offside or not.

Whatever happens, it's been a great season. Best lap of honour for years too. Never usually lasts two mins without chivvy kids running on and spoiling it, well done all!!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:16 am

latviancheese wrote:In all fairness, we did get slightly lucky with a few quality players though? Grigg hasnt shown much in the last 4 years and Bandy was turgid for his first 8-10 games.

It's not luck though is it? It's a manager recognising the strengths of his limited squad, and forming a way for them to all play to their strengths to get results. It's coaching, hard work on the training pitch and good man management.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:56 am

Sadders wrote:I see the recent high standard of performance has got to the head of some idiots on here then? I suggest you hire the DVD of our last few years before we return (Eventually) to that sort of turgid crap in the next few years, if not sooner - that's the way the 'budget pyramid' works. We aren't going to get lucky with good players every year. Anyway, the players were like the fans, lifeless and flat. We were poor but never looked in real danger, unless Holden was near the ball. He's a lovely bloke who's been through some hard times recently, but he's garbage and has to be released.

You're a bundle of laughs. Crikey. :roll:

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:39 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:1-1

:D 3rd score I've got right all season :roll:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:06 am

latviancheese wrote:i look forward to Baxendale becoming the new jesus cause the lads qualitayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Me too. He might look about 12 years old, but he's got the makings of a top player.

I think the main thing to come from yesterday was that we massively under-performed. Yes, we still played much better than we would have done 12 months previously, but the likes of Paterson, Brandy, Mantom & Grigg have set certain standards this season that they simply didn't live up to yesterday.

I can live with that given how good they've been for most of this season, but we had an extra gear we could have shifted into in that second half and didn't - possibly because we already thought we'd done enough to win the game.

A word on Hemmings too - I was really impressed with him when he came on. Wanted the ball, wanted to run at Bury's back four and wanted to create chances. Hope that's the kind of display we see from him next season as we'll need it if Brandy leaves.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:35 am

What were we doing playing Grigg up front on his own against a team of stiffs?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:39 am

ShyTallKnight wrote:What were we doing playing Grigg up front on his own against a team of stiffs?

We've taken points off just about every side in the division with Grigg playing up front on his own. Why would we suddenly change things against Bury?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Disappointed with yesterday - very poor. For some reason we resorted to hoofing it down the channels a lot but I shall come to why that is in a second...

Dean Holden. Get rid. Not good enough.

Thought Bax, Brandy and Chambers looked alright, but we lacked that bit of quality in forward areas which was surprising. However, a major contribution to our style of play (or lack of it rather) was unfortunately having Holden in the centre of defence, and having J Chambers at left back. I now much prefer Chambers to Purkiss as I lost count of how many times Purkiss and Holden lost the ball yesterday with aimless hoofs.

Release Holden in the summer, oh and Taundry and I will be chuffed.

Great home season and looking forward to going to the Bescot next season.

How will Dean and the squad live with great expectations?

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:40 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
ShyTallKnight wrote:What were we doing playing Grigg up front on his own against a team of stiffs?

We've taken points off just about every side in the division with Grigg playing up front on his own. Why would we suddenly change things against Bury?

Err because we neede to win perhaps?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:48 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Err because we neede to win perhaps?

What was that stat someone else posted? Three defeats in five months? We played one up front in every single one of those matches.

We didn't win yesterday because of our collective attitude towards the game, not because of the formation Smith opted for. Criticism for criticism's sake from you, I'm afraid.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:01 pm

For the record...

Can anyone actually remember the last time we actually beat Bury?

Our records against them is shocking...

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:41 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:For the record...

A cursory glance at the records show that we beat them 3-1 at home in 1996-97, which included a goal by John Keister. We also won at Gigg Lane during our Championship winning season in 2006/7. On both occasions we lost the return match.

We have not played them that much over the last 15-20 years, but still, they are the only wins I could find covering that period.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:17 pm

BathSaddler wrote:

A cursory glance at the records show that we beat them 3-1 at home in 1996-97, which included a goal by John Keister. We also won at Gigg Lane during our Championship winning season in 2006/7. On both occasions we lost the return match.

We have not played them that much over the last 15-20 years, but still, they are the only wins I could find covering that period.

Beat them 4-3 at Bescot, with two late goals, both from Wayne Clarke I think. That may just squeeze in to the 20 year period.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:45 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

Beat them 4-3 at Bescot, with two late goals, both from Wayne Clarke I think. That may just squeeze in to the 20 year period.

Wasnt that when we were 0-2 at half time, and eventually won 4-3 with the help of a Clarke hat-trick? Subsequently the Bury players threw their toys out the pram and refused to sign the match ball

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:15 am

When you look at this season in the cold light of day, it'll be our record against the bottom four that let us down. Pompey 6 points, granted, but Bury 2, Hartlepool 2 and Scunthorpe 1. Those 5 could easily have been 6 or 7 more. In fact,if you take Portsmouth out of the equation, due to them being there because of the points deduction, the next team are Colchester, from whom we took just 3 points.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

I can't believe I missed that one :roll: .

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:When you look at this season in the cold light of day, it'll be our record against the bottom four that let us down. Pompey 6 points, granted, but Bury 2, Hartlepool 2 and Scunthorpe 1. Those 5 could easily have been 6 or 7 more. In fact,if you take Portsmouth out of the equation, due to them being there because of the points deduction, the next team are Colchester, from whom we took just 3 points.

Interesting take on things, that. It might feel like an unnatural thing to say, but we've been a team full of big game players for a while now - even when we were in a relegation battle, it always seemed like we struggled against those teams down there with us despite picking up points from some of the big hitters.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Its the draws ay it.

How many draws did we manage to get from winning positions during the bad run? Gotta be at least 6/9 points dropped there, along with Bury and Hartlepool etc.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season