Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (H) League 1 Saturday 6/4/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
longdogs
UTS Legend

Re: Sheffield United (H) League 1 Saturday 6/3/13.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:01 pm

saddlernoggin wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:Why a substitution in the 90th minute when you need to win the game. if needed it should have been made earlier.

I wasn't there myself but according to the BBC he'd just committed a foul and he was already on a booking - maybe that was the reason.

That's how it seemed to me. On another day he could have had a second yellow for the foul on the keeper. Taking him off was the right decision.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:08 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:I've a feeling we'll be without both Butler and Brandy, for the next two.

Steve Madeley from the E&S reckons they're both now on 9 bookings.

realist saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:12 pm

In a word, 'frustrating' not just for the fans, but i reckon for the players as well.

In general played well, Brandy missed the best chances, a good one he created in the first half, and two after the break, one where he shot wide a bit rash, and another where he knocked it a bit too far forward and the keeper got there. Does make you think, as great as he is, he don't score that many, hopefully that will put other teams off and he will stay with us for another season though, but he scares the life out of defenders and for that opens up opportunities for other players.

Sheff Utd, what you expect from them, big , physical, not a lot of football played, mainly hoofed up. This is no sour grapes, there in the top few teams on merit over a season, but to be fair, i would rather watch our football than their style.

It shows how far we have come when we walk out against one of the fancied teams and feel disappointed, but role back 12 months and we would probably be thinking a great point. We will probably miss the play offs, but for me, im more overjoyed at the turn around we have made and the POTENTIAL we have as long as we don't let this crop of players leave on the cheap. If we keep this squad i would surely expect us in the top 6 next season - this will be an interesting summer, i hope these players give it another season to achieve what we all know they can do.

Lets go to crewe and party whatever, the players deserve it

UTS

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:16 pm

latviancheese wrote:poor game realy. pitch cost us as we had to play their game, and they are better at it. Didnt take our chances :(

subs too late again.

first time in a while we lost control of the midfield in a game,for the second half. Paterson had a stinker to be honest but they all worked hard.Just dissapointed as i thought we were very flat for most of the game but we could have done them on the break more than we did. Chambers was everywhere he just needed some help.My MOTM by a mile.

I agree with all of that. Chambers had another 8/10 performance but everyone else really struggled after the 70 minute mark. In fairness to them, that's probably the firs time I've seen a side finish stronger than us since Christmas. It's frustrating not to have won given the chances Brandy had to nick all three points, but a sign of how well we're playing that we're a bit disappointed not to have beaten a really strong side in Sheffield Utd.

We started off with a nervous edge to our game and all the service to Westcarr was route one stuff he didn't have a chance with. Once we got Baxendale involved though, we looked much better for it, particularly when he and Brandy combined down the right. That last ten minutes of the first half was a great effort and Westcarr took his goal really well.

The pitch and general fatigue aside, my one other criticism would be the way Benning as brushed off with ease for their goal. He always looks fairly comfortable when the ball is outside of him and on his left foot, but when his man cuts inside, he tends to get done far too easily.

Given results today, I think we'll struggle to make the top six even if we take nine more points. That said, it's still worth fighting for and this Walsall team will do just that until the fat lady has sung. The feeling around the place and the atmosphere inside the ground today was exceptional - the kind we haven't seen since the Championship days. Hopefully we'll see more of the same sooner rather than later.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm

As good as Brandy is, he is not the most clinical of players.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:26 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:As good as Brandy is, he is not the most clinical of players.

Agreed. But if he was more clinical, he probably wouldn't be playing for us.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Smith should sit Brandy down and show him the video of the game and say that`s why you`re playing for Walsall.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:38 pm

clawtheolder wrote:Smith should sit Brandy down and show him the video of the game and say that`s why you`re playing for Walsall.

Or alternatively, tell him he played well (because he did) and offer him a new contract. Rollicking him for missing a chance and hoping that'll persuade him to stay probably wouldn't be the best at to manage the situation...

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:47 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:Smith should sit Brandy down and show him the video of the game and say that`s why you`re playing for Walsall.

Or alternatively, tell him he played well (because he did) and offer him a new contract. Rollicking him for missing a chance and hoping that'll persuade him to stay probably wouldn't be the best at to manage the situation...

Indeed. Another chance he had just after their goal was bound for the top corner but for an excellent save from their keeper. Had that gone in the next 20 minutes could have been quite different.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Would have loved to win today, and if we'd have took our chances we would have, but it shows how far we've come this season when we're slightly disappointed we've not beat Sheff Utd. In previous years when team like them come to our place, you go half expecting to lose, and anything else is a bonus. Today though we genuinely felt we could win and even the Sheff Utd fan with us was happy to get a point.

Also speaks volumes that teams like them set up happy to contain us and playing deep, such is their respect for us.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Inexperience and a lack of killer instinct in front of goal cost us.

Great first half!

Brandy is great at dribbling and getting penalties. He cor finish his dinner though.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Can't help feeling a little flat. Had the chances to put utd to bed before they levelled . Swindon game against Crewe is key for me. They win that and it's so so difficult but hey let's go out and smash our last three games and see . Loved the atmospher and tension today . We really do have our Walsall back !!!! Scunny here we come!!
Up the Saddlers forever :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Great performance, frightened 'em to death, they really couldn't cope with Brandy and Baxendale in particular, Chambers too, then off went Taylor and just after that one bad mistake by Benning cost us, SheffU took away a point they didn't deserve, but we should have finished them off with some of those chances, so it was at least to some extent self-inflicted.

The play-offs look that little bit too far off for us now, but while it's mathematically possible, we should just go for it.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:07 pm

saddlerken wrote:Inexperience and a lack of killer instinct in front of goal cost us.

Great first half!

Brandy is great at dribbling and getting penalties. He cor finish his dinner though.

Very similar chance to the one he scored against Colchester at home I think it was.

Bit disappointed how we reverted to long balls after they scored, and never really got a grip on the game again, but whatever, this team is fantastic, can't fault any of them. Almost impossible now, but that has never stopped us before.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Greetings fellow Saddlers. I am on hols in Umbria, staying at Assisi. Bit sorry about the result today ......but remember what St Francis said about HOPE. It's not over yet.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:18 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Great performance, frightened 'em to death, they really couldn't cope with Brandy and Baxendale in particular, Chambers too, then off went Taylor and just after that one bad mistake by Benning cost us, SheffU took away a point they didn't deserve, but we should have finished them off with some of those chances, so it was at least to some extent self-inflicted.

The play-offs look that little bit too far off for us now, but while it's mathematically possible, we should just go for it.

Hypocrite :lol: Joking obviously.

If you did go today, hope you enjoyed it. We have played much better, but I thought it was an enjoyable game, and I wasn't freezing my nadgers off for a change either !

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Bossed the first half and were unlucky to go in at half time only one goal to the good.

Johnstone must have wondered what he was there for.

I thought the second hinged on Taylor’s injury and Benning didn’t have time to get up to speed befor the promising left-back was beaten on his right which led to the equaliser.

Chambers was my man of the match by a country mile. Mantom was nowhere near his best and he will need to be if we are to get nine points from the next 3 games.

I might go to Scunthorpe but i’ll have to give Crewe a miss. I don’t think I could stand losing to them and not making the play offs.

Bad memories from the past.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Another excellent performance against a team that came to defend rather than attack. Dominated the first half and a good chunk of the second half, with Brandy missing a couple of sitters and being in behind them a good 2 or 3 other times. The playoffs are done with, but the players deserve our support for there efforts so I'd expect big followings at Crewe and Scunthorpe with a 5,000 crowd against probably an already relegated Bury. Chambers was my MOTM, he covered every single blade of grass, chased everything and he drove back in defence and forward all game - he must be knackered, an absolutely superb midfield performance.

The defending for their goal was poor, the ball should have been initially closed down and then Paterson didn't get out to help Benning with Porter - that being said, his shot did hit both posts and then rebound happily for their player so it was unlucky. I think we should really, really enjoy these next 3 games as there is a good chance we wont have the players we do this season, next season. It'd be horrible to return to being gash after how we've been in this second half of the season.

Chambers, Butler, Brandy and Downing were all superb.

Mentions to Andy Taylor's covering tackle in the first half, immense.

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:00 pm

What is that going to achieve other than affect young Fabian's morale and confidence? I agree that he wasn't on form today along with a few others, and also the chances which Fabian failed to capitalise on undoubtedly ultimately cost us the game as we could have easily gone two or three up... However you've got to luck at it from the prospective, why didn't Manchester United keep him? Because his all round game wasn't good enough, if he had that strikers instinct you and some others (the majority) expect then he'd of never signed for Walsall nevermind considering or turning down a new deal.

Fabian wasn't the only player to miss clear cut chance or take the ball to far when other players were free, the main one for me was when Paterson was attacking with Sawyers just open onside just ahead of him and he got greedy and decided to go again, another was when Baxendale could of played Benning in with a chance but choose to try and float a ball in which went straight into the 'keepers hand comfortably... I could write a list as long as my arm but I'm not going to. The young lads did us proud today in my opinion and they have over the second part of the season, however in conclusion for today's game I'm of the opinion that the 1-1 draw was a fair result - Both teams could of easily took the game in their favour. We took teared them apart for the first hour, however when Andy Taylor got taken off they managed to capitalise on the weakness and managed break us down - We like Sheffield United were lucky not to loose.

My man of the match was probably Adam Chambers for his defensive work (but even he misplaced a number of key attacking passes). However if Andy Taylor played the ninety then it could of easily been him, he was solid today against the Sheffield United long ball in my opinion.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Benning got caught out of position and was completely outpaced and outsmucled by their forward for the shot leading to the goal.

Even Taylor was struggling second half against the physical game they were playing down that side. I like Benning, but i just had a horrible feeling when he had to come on. Thought Downing struggled slightly in the air too but he did his job well enough, and i still never feared a defeat. Brandy superb again despite missing his chances. HE got carried away and forgot to pass though in the latter stages. Should have gone off earlier to be honest, he was great, but knackered. Oh and Baxendale had a great first half.

The difference today was Sheff Utd had the ability to just turn the screw more than others and keep up the pressure, and we couldn't pass our way out, so we hoofed it and they goblled most things up. Westcarr did okay but tired towards the end, although he was feeding off drivel. Probably the best team we have played out the top six and they weren't world beaters and they play with zero pace.

Patersons day was summed up at the end, where we had a 3 on two and he cut inside, the pitch bobbled up and he lepered a shot into the shins of the centre back.

Seeing we are only 2 points off still, i feel slightly less irritated with the result, however look where we would have been if had won? And what is the point of having a strongish bench for the first time in 28 years if we never use it.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:21 pm

Leatherman wrote:Bossed the first half and were unlucky to go in at half time only one goal to the good.

Johnstone must have wondered what he was there for.

I thought the second hinged on Taylor’s injury and Benning didn’t have time to get up to speed befor the promising left-back was beaten on his right which led to the equaliser.

Chambers was my man of the match by a country mile. Mantom was nowhere near his best and he will need to be if we are to get nine points from the next 3 games.

I might go to Scunthorpe but i’ll have to give Crewe a miss. I don’t think I could stand losing to them and not making the play offs.

Bad memories from the past.

Agree with most of that, but I'm afraid I don't see Benning as 'promising'. Just another lightweight fullback in the Sansara and Westlake mould who's ok in the final third but weak in our defensive third. Decision making can come with time. Not sure desire, competitiveness and tenacity will.

Difficult being thrown into such a game against such opposition, but if he isn't up to it he shouldn't be on the bench.

Hindsight being a great thing, I think Smith should have put Holden on when Taylor had to go off. Solidity was needed against a big side at 1-0 but experiencing significant pressure. There were other permutations too that could have spared Benning and us this result in my view.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:40 pm

King Crimson wrote:Agree with most of that, but I'm afraid I don't see Benning as 'promising'. Just another lightweight fullback in the Sansara and Westlake mould who's ok in the final third but weak in our defensive third. Decision making can come with time. Not sure desire, competitiveness and tenacity will.

Difficult being thrown into such a game against such opposition, but if he isn't up to it he shouldn't be on the bench.

Hindsight being a great thing, I think Smith should have put Holden on when Taylor had to go off. Solidity was needed against a big side at 1-0 but experiencing significant pressure. There were other permutations too that could have spared Benning and us this result in my view.

Disagree on Benning - i think he'll be a good player for us albeit today his was a bit suspect. In other appearances he's looked fine so he'll come good but just needs time. Maybe you're right in the game being to big for him but then Smith believes in the kids and i'm glad he does.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:45 pm

kshammer wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Agree with most of that, but I'm afraid I don't see Benning as 'promising'. Just another lightweight fullback in the Sansara and Westlake mould who's ok in the final third but weak in our defensive third. Decision making can come with time. Not sure desire, competitiveness and tenacity will.

Disagree on Benning - i think he'll be a good player for us albeit today his was a bit suspect. In other appearances he's looked fine so he'll come good but just needs time. Maybe you're right in the game being to big for him but then Smith believes in the kids and i'm glad he does.

All about opinions matey, but with the exception of a couple of preseason friendlies, I think he's looked out of his depth.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:48 pm

King Crimson wrote:
kshammer wrote:

All about opinions matey, but with the exception of a couple of preseason friendlies, I think he's looked out of his depth.

As you say it is opinions. I didn't think he was too bad when he played before - not being involved alot since obviously doesn't help.

With our production line of players there's probably a 12 year old who could play instead. 8)

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 pm

From the Sheff Forum.....

"Seeing the young pacy walsall playeres up close, as they attacked the goal end where we were standing was frightning. The pace and movement was very good and led many blades to be asking "why can't we have one or two players that can do that"

Its ashame we did not put our chances away in the first half and we did appear to tire with 30 mins to go and this was when Smith should have acted, Deano has done wonders this season but has still failed to learn how to use his subs properly.

p.s I understand that no players deserves to be dropped and rightfully so but I do feel that WBA may get alittle peeved that Romaine Sawyers is only getting 3-4 minute run outs and will think whats the point in him being here if he's not getting any decent 1st team experience (I don't think they sent him here hoping to be a bench warmer)? Hope this does not burn any bridges as we seem to have a good connection with the Albion of late.
Last edited by IHTC. on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:56 pm

I think I went through all the emotions in 90mins, that the football club has over 125 years. Before kick off there was belief. We all knew we could beat United today, and if we did, we could march into the playoffs. Joy, when we went one up just before half time. For ten minutes after half time we looked untouchable. If the otherwise outstanding Brandy, who had his best game for a while, was able to finish one of three excellent chances, we could have gone on to win comfortably.

Tension, with pressure building there were some nervy moments, which ultimately led to despair, with them scoring a somewhat fortunate equaliser. I'm not sure where the ball came off the post or our keeper, but it trickled kindly across the line for an easy tap in. There was disappointment at the final whistle which virtually ended our play off hopes. In reflection though, the overwhelming feeling is pride. Pride in every single one of those players. We have a really talented group if players here, and if we can keep them together could go on to great things.

Although United had a lot of pressure in the second half, they rarely looked like scoring, which seems to be norm with this back line. Going forward, as I said before, Brandy was excellent, Paterson had an off game, Baxendale made some great runs and looked dangerous in possession. We just didn't give him enough of the ball. Westcarr linked the play really well, but tired towards the end. Chambers and Mantom were again outstanding.

At the end of the game, the players were visually as gutted as we were, slumping to the ground, hands on heads. It shows that this bunch really cares. That for me gives us the best present on our 125th Birthday. It means we have our Walsall back

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Sheffield United (H) League 1 Saturday 6/4/13.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:08 pm

The way the Sheff Utd players celebrated you knew that they knew, they couldnt lose that game.

Greg Oxley
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Decent performance but our lack of experience paid dividencs. Brandy isn't a natural goal scorer and I believe his best position is on the wing and then cutting inside. Must say I've been very impressed with Johnstone - very safe and assured hands. Special mention to Chambers A, Butler and Baxendale today.

Hope Paterson's performance put off the Bolton scout compiling a dossier on him sat behind me.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Greg Oxley wrote:Hope Paterson's performance put off the Bolton scout compiling a dossier on him sat behind me.

They dont just watch players for one game, sadly :lol:

I despaired at him today though, i really did.

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:33 pm

It feels like a defeat today. It was a game we should have won, Brandy guilty of missing the best chances.

Due to a steam train setting the countryside on fire just outside Bicester, I arrived at the ground at 3.40pm. Two minutes later, Westcarr turned and scored to give us a half-time lead.

After the break we went to force home our advantage and this is when Brandy had those chances, created by Westcarr and Baxendale. United took advantage to equalise from a tap-in after a long distance shot bounced off both posts.

Benning, who had to come on for an injured Taylor, was caught out for the goal. Although you cant blame him directly, there was certainly a lack of understanding between him and Paterson, who was on the left. First of all they both left the ball so it went out for a United throw-in and then a few moments later Benning allowed the attacker to run into a large space for the goal to be scored.

After the goal it was fairly equal and we almost got caught out at the end with Butler playing on with an injury and Downing having to make a well timed last-ditch tackle.

Defensively we were sound up until Taylor came off and then looked a bit shaky after that. Purkiss, who doesn't offer as much going forward as James Chambers, did ok.

Adam Chambers was man of the match. He carried the ball forward a lot and also tracked back, he seemed to be everywhere. Mantom was content to do the basics and did that very well. Paterson was quiet, offering only a glimpse of his talent. Baxendale faded towards the end but was involved in a lot going forward. Westcarr did well, linking up play and scoring. I think he lacks a little confidence at time though, particularly when faced with making decisions. Sawyers had a decent cameo in his usual three minutes. Playing a great pass to send Paterson free.

And then to Brandy. In many ways he was the best player today. The United defence struggled with him throughout. He just couldn't score today and with a goal return of only six for the season, for all his talents, this appears to be his weakness. He had five chances today, one quite easy, two he should have got on target and two that were difficult.

Bloody hell! What could have been? Nine points from the last three games may not be enough, but I haven't given up hope and will be at Scunthorpe next week.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season