Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (H) League 1 Saturday 6/4/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Sheffield United (H) League 1 Saturday 6/3/13.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:53 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:From the Sheff Forum.....

"Seeing the young pacy walsall playeres up close, as they attacked the goal end where we were standing was frightning. The pace and movement was very good and led many blades to be asking "why can't we have one or two players that can do that"

Its ashame we did not put our chances away in the first half and we did appear to tire with 30 mins to go and this was when Smith should have acted, Deano has done wonders this season but has still failed to learn how to use his subs properly.

p.s I understand that no players deserves to be dropped and rightfully so but I do feel that WBA may get alittle peeved that Romaine Sawyers is only getting 3-4 minute run outs and will think whats the point in him being here if he's not getting any decent 1st team experience (I don't think they sent him here hoping to be a bench warmer)? Hope this does not burn any bridges as we seem to have a good connection with the Albion of late.

We spoke to a couple of Blades fans on the walk back to the car, they weren't the knock you out type :lol: The way they were talking they are really peed off with their team, the one bloke said we are better than them, which I agree with, and the other said tongue in cheek we'd finish above them, which is doubtful. Think they were relieved to get a point, and realise it is a fantastic result for them. They said they haven't looked like scoring for ages.

I also agree with King Crimson regarding the Benning sub, I'm not so critical of Benning, I am willing to give him the chance to progress, but today wasn't the time for him to come on. Smith seems so reluctant to use Holden as a full back, but given the game situation when the sub happened, it seemed a far better move to drop Holden in at full back.

That said, I am just so happy with this Walsall side, I don't really like to be critical at all, it is fantastic, and a real shame that we have run out of games, because a few more and I have no doubt we would make the play offs and win them.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:58 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

"Seeing the young pacy walsall playeres up close, as they attacked the goal end where we were standing was frightning. The pace and movement was very good and led many blades to be asking "why can't we have one or two players that can do that"

Its ashame we did not put our chances away in the first half and we did appear to tire with 30 mins to go and this was when Smith should have acted, Deano has done wonders this season but has still failed to learn how to use his subs properly.

p.s I understand that no players deserves to be dropped and rightfully so but I do feel that WBA may get alittle peeved that Romaine Sawyers is only getting 3-4 minute run outs and will think whats the point in him being here if he's not getting any decent 1st team experience (I don't think they sent him here hoping to be a bench warmer)? Hope this does not burn any bridges as we seem to have a good connection with the Albion of late.

We spoke to a couple of Blades fans on the walk back to the car, they weren't the knock you out type :lol: The way they were talking they are really peed off with their team, the one bloke said we are better than them, which I agree with, and the other said tongue in cheek we'd finish above them, which is doubtful. Think they were relieved to get a point, and realise it is a fantastic result for them. They said they haven't looked like scoring for ages.

I also agree with King Crimson regarding the Benning sub, I'm not so critical of Benning, I am willing to give him the chance to progress, but today wasn't the time for him to come on. Smith seems so reluctant to use Holden as a full back, but given the game situation when the sub happened, it seemed a far better move to drop Holden in at full back.

That said, I am just so happy with this Walsall side, I don't really like to be critical at all, it is fantastic, and a real shame that we have run out of games, because a few more and I have no doubt we would make the play offs and win them.

Who would have thought at the time that those 2 dropped points against Yeovil when 2-0 up and minutes to go would/could be so crucial. If we were told at the time how important they would be and asked why we would have all thought as its Walsall and Yeovil it has to be part of a relegation battle.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Sheffield United (H) League 1 Saturday 6/4/13.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 pm

The pitch, the pitch, the effing pitch! It was perfect for Sheffield's team of hoofers. It really needs to be sorted out in the closed season, because it is costing us points. Having said that we could have had this game sewn up if our finishing was just a tad better. Perhaps with a fit Grigg in the team we would have won, but it's all if and buts.

I keep thinking we are done, but I couldn't believe the league table when I looked at it after the game. We're still in there, just, but we are relying on Tranmere and Swindon both blowing up now.

Good grief, this is bad, I'm being reduced to supporting MK Dons on Tuesday night.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Because basically they were a slightly better version of Coventry. 11 6 foot 2 ers who have the creative ability of a jackhammer drill. Eventually they will break through though.

We should have been 3-0 up by then

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:14 pm

After due consideration, I thought Adam Chambers' performance reminded me of the kind of style and commitment we used to get from Martin O'Connor. My man of the match today.

SWS1

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:27 pm

"The young, pacy Walsall players..."
I just love to hear stuff like that! :D
Even two seasons ago, Bristol Rovers supporters were saying "Why don't we give younger players a go, like Walsall..." BUT we had to have two very rocky seasons before the "younger" players blossomed: just think what might have happened if we'd got rid of Grigg and others, like some fans advocated. Of course, it's a gamble: it might not have come off, but I reckon we could be the best footballing side in the division, even though we will probably just miss the playoffs.
Even Preston fans were really jealous when we did 'em earlier on and wanted their management to go down our route rather than their "seasoned professionals on big (ish) money" route.
What a great season!
Excelsior!! :D :D :D :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:36 pm

SWS1 wrote:"The young, pacy Walsall players..."
Even two seasons ago, Bristol Rovers supporters were saying "Why don't we give younger players a go, like Walsall..." BUT we had to have two very rocky seasons before the "younger" players blossomed: just think what might have happened if we'd got rid of Grigg and others, like some fans advocated. Of course, it's a gamble: it might not have come off, but I reckon we could be the best footballing side in the division, even though we will probably just miss the playoffs.
Even Preston fans were really jealous when we did 'em earlier on and wanted their management to go down our route rather than their "seasoned professionals on big (ish) money" route.
What a great season!

I don't just think we are the best footballing side in the division, I think we are the best team in the division. Obviously the table tells a different story, but everything is just right now. The will to win throughout this team is amazing. Long may it continue.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:57 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
SWS1 wrote:"The young, pacy Walsall players..."
What a great season!

I don't just think we are the best footballing side in the division, I think we are the best team in the division. Obviously the table tells a different story, but everything is just right now. The will to win throughout this team is amazing. Long may it continue.

It's all what if but if we'd have had half decent form in that bad run we had, we'd have shitted this league.

It would have been us and whatever hoofers managed to scrap second.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:24 pm

longdogs wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:I've a feeling we'll be without both Butler and Brandy, for the next two.

Steve Madeley from the E&S reckons they're both now on 9 bookings.

I'm going by the official Football League stat which, now updated,
shows both players having amassed ten yellows.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:31 am

geoffwhiting wrote:After due consideration, I thought Adam Chambers' performance reminded me of the kind of style and commitment we used to get from Martin O'Connor. My man of the match today.

Congrats on your return to The Bezla. Well done, fella.

mossa

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:34 am

A strange game in many ways, until they scored I could only see one winner. After they scored we just faded and Sheffield looked the likely winner. For me Benning had a shocker when he came on, he looked decent going forward but defensively he was caught out a few times and Sheffield seemed to target him. However I thought he was excellent when he played earlier on in the season and he definately has a talent. A bad 30 minute sub apperance does not make him a bad player.

MOTM for me was Baxendale, I thought he was everywhere in the first half and a real threat. He had a quieter second half but was still dangerous when involved. Other players I thought played well were Downing, Chambers, Taylor and Brandy. I will say this though, we are a pleasure to watch at the moment. I took a friend who was basically laughing at league 1 football being a Man UTD fan, he was very impressed with us and said it was a much better standard than he expected. We will probably miss out on play offs but next season looks promising. I can see us losing Brandy but hopefully we can sign everyone else up we want to keep, if we can perform consistantly next season who knows what might happen.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:20 am

They won't be peeved now. Wasn't that Brandy's 10th yellow, and, therefore, a two game ban? Sawyers is the natural replacement. The other worries are Taylor's injury and the fact that Butler was struggling for the last ten to fifteen, which is why Holden had to be saved.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:42 am

Small margins.

Brandy's uncharacteristic heavy first touch when put through to put us two up and then Taylor's injury. Two moments that cost us two points, otherwise it was a thoroughly professional performance against a very physical side. Unlike his Coventry equivalent, their number six had Paterson in his pocket all afternoon but we showed in the likes of baxendale and brandy that we have several players who can unlock a defence.

I too spoke with some Blades fans. They ain't happy at all and were very complimentary about the way we play.

It's probably beyond us now, but so so proud of this team. Amongst the clamour for the likes of Brandy and Grigg to put pen to paper, I'd love to see Adam Chambers sign for another season. In the form of his Walsall career and would have been my MOTM yesterday.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:18 am

According to soccerbase both have ten yellows but one includes one with the red, since the sending of both have four yellows.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 am

I left quite disappointed yesterday (with the score), but i think that's down to what we've come to expect from this team.

Thought Sheffield United started off better in the first 10 minutes, but then we came into it more and played better than them until they scored. We still weren't as fluent as we were on Monday though, and if we were we'd have been a couple of goals up at half time. After they scored we seemed to loose it, which as someone else said is when Smith should have used his subs. He leaves them too late!

Johnstone - Good again, he's strong at collecting/clearing crosses. And the back four seem happy to pass to him too. He apologised on twitter about the goal, but i couldn't really see it so not sure if it was his fault.
Purkiss - Had a good game.
Downing - Good game.
Butler - Same as the 2 above. Solid
Taylor - Having a great game until he got injured.
Brandy - Looked tricky again. Please offer him a shed load of money from somewhere to stay. Shooting could've been better though. :wink:
Chambers - Solid again, 2 great games this week. My Motm
Baxendale - If Grigg was fit I'd have taken him out because I thought he wasn't that good against Cov, but he was much improved yesterday though. Had a pretty good game.
Mantom - Decent game, did simple things well.
Paterson - Little less creative than the Cov game, but still good!
Westcarr - another strong game, seemed to loose his touch after the Sheffield goal.

Benning - looked dodgy when he came on, not as confident as he was earlier in the season.
Hemmings - didn't have much time do do anything.
Sawyers - didn't have much time either, but looked quite positive in the 2 minutes he was on.

Oh, and the crowd was great. Good atmosphere too! Was suprised when I heard that upstairs had sold out. And the queue to pick up tickets..never seen it so big! Serves me right for saying 'oh its ok, we'll be in the smaller queue on the other side of that big one' when we came round the corner from the away end.

Travelled around 600 miles this week watching Walsall's 2 games, more than enough I think :D

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:52 am

cumbria-saddler wrote:Travelled around 600 miles this week watching Walsall's 2 games, more than enough I think :D

Indeed! There are 'fans' who live in Walsall that can't be bothered to go any more and they don't even seem to know why.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:59 am

saddlerken wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:Travelled around 600 miles this week watching Walsall's 2 games, more than enough I think :D

Indeed! There are 'fans' who live in Walsall that can't be bothered to go any more and they don't even seem to know why.

Don't worry, Kenny. They get shown up whenever they rear their heads.

Well done, Mr Cumbria. An inspiration.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:38 am

Gutted about the result but cannot be annoyed with this team, just feel proud of them. Thought we played some fantastic stuff in the first hour and could only see one winner. Pitch clearly isn't helping but we had enough chances to be out of sight before they scored. After they scored we just didn't seem to be able to get going again. All the balls that were falling to or being won by Mantom and Chambers seemed to be falling to them. I agree that the game was crying out for Deano to make a couple of positive changes at that stage but who am I to criticise a manager that has produced one of (if not the) most exciting teams I have ever seen at Walsall. Small margins and so many ifs and buts. Looks like we will just run out of games now but it's been a bostin ride and it ay over yet. Onwards and upwards to Scunny :D

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:49 am

PT wrote:Small margins.

Brandy's uncharacteristic heavy first touch when put through to put us two up and then Taylor's injury. Two moments that cost us two points, otherwise it was a thoroughly professional performance against a very physical side. Unlike his Coventry equivalent, their number six had Paterson in his pocket all afternoon but we showed in the likes of baxendale and brandy that we have several players who can unlock a defence.

I too spoke with some Blades fans. They ain't happy at all and were very complimentary about the way we play.

It's probably beyond us now, but so so proud of this team. Amongst the clamour for the likes of Brandy and Grigg to put pen to paper, I'd love to see Adam Chambers sign for another season. In the form of his Walsall career and would have been my MOTM yesterday.

Can't disagree with the above. Better finishing at the start of the 2nd half would have buried the Blades.

While we really have to go for it, I don't think now that even 3 wins will be enough looking at the table. Its been a hell of a year though.

Chambers should be an absolute priority (given that Brandy and Grigg probably will move on). If you put together the Butler/Downing and Mantom/Chambers pairings, the base of our team will be the match of anything in the division. If necessary, I'd keep his brother as a makeweight as he's as good/better than Perkiss if too injury prone - the defence for next season would be completely staffed then imo.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:50 am

Neil I would expect a straight swop of Brandy for Grigg (if fit) and push Baxo on the right therefore leaving R.S on the bench.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:27 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:After due consideration, I thought Adam Chambers' performance reminded me of the kind of style and commitment we used to get from Martin O'Connor. My man of the match today.

been saying this for a while. plus pace and minus the goal threat, but the same dogged physicality and competitive dynamism.

they were desperate to deny us 3 points yesterday. nobody wants us in they play-offs because we are, by a distance, the beat team in the division. in the 1st half brandy regularly had 4 men on him, all terrified to make a tackle. they worked hard and thanks to a forced change in personnel combined with some profligate finishing, got what they came for.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:36 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Bathsaddler must be having a day off today. Just over 7k there with about 1500 thicktards from the republic of Southern Yorkshire. So about 5 and a half of us - not too bad.

At the match and no access to the internet until this afternoon is the main reason, chester. For the record, 1,552 Blades in a crowd of 7,042 leaving 5,490 Saddlers. As you say, not too bad :wink: .
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:44 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:Baxendale - If Grigg was fit I'd have taken him out because I thought he wasn't that good against Cov

You are crazy, he was brilliant.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:49 pm

saddlersam wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:Baxendale - If Grigg was fit I'd have taken him out because I thought he wasn't that good against Cov

I agree - Baxo was superb first half and the early part of the second, him and Brandy combined very effectively. He faded in the second half, but given the physicality of the opposition, it was not surprising.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

May I add my congrats too, Cumbria, you are a brave soul..bet your petrol bill has ben enormous!

Your post should be in the E & S as a 'gee up' to the towns Wolves/Albion/Vile supporting glory chasing (haha) so called townspeople, that are only interested in the Bezza if Liverpool/Chelski/Manure become visitors in cup matches...

aaaae
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:06 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
saddlersam wrote:

I agree - Baxo was superb first half and the early part of the second, him and Brandy combined very effectively. He faded in the second half, but given the physicality of the opposition, it was not surprising.

He should have played at Hartlepool.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:23 pm

aaaae
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Oh what a shame! Chin up son, it's a team game. Keeper could have saved it, other defenders could have been quicker to the ball on the line etc etc.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:18 pm

aaaae wrote:

Oh what a shame! Chin up son, it's a team game. Keeper could have saved it, other defenders could have been quicker to the ball on the line etc etc.

I agree. Good to see the honesty, but there's loads of reasons we didn't win that game. Coming into a game like that on that pitch is really difficult especially at only seconds notice. Learn a bit and move on - no blame at all.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

May I add my congrats too, Cumbria, you are a brave soul..bet your petrol bill has ben enormous!

Your post should be in the E & S as a 'gee up' to the towns Wolves/Albion/Vile supporting glory chasing (haha) so called townspeople, that are only interested in the Bezza if Liverpool/Chelski/Manure become visitors in cup matches...

Going yesterday meant I got to finish work earlier too, so It was worth it just for that. :mrgreen:

Used 2/3 of a tank of petrol yesterday, so not too bad really. Looking foward to Crewe, only 20 mins away on the train when I go back to Uni in Chester.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season