Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (H) League 1 Monday 1/4/13

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Coventry City (H) League 1 Monday 1/4/13

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:00 pm

An interesting day, and not just for our superb 4-0 demolition of the Sky Blues......

Swindon Town......LOST
Brentford...........LOST
Tranmere Rovers.....LOST

Sheffield United.......DREW (at home to Carlisle!!!)

There's still an awful lot to play for in what remains of the season. What a season!!!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Payback for the worst performance in the history of football at the Ricoh.

tensaddler

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:01 pm

1 loss in 17. Incredible work by all, proud as punch.

Holbeach Saddler
UTS Regular

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Good day's work. Just need a break with the results on Saturday now :wink:

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:03 pm

Still to play for. Go to it lads.

UTS Legend

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:05 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:An interesting day, and not just for our superb 4-0 demolition of the Sky Blues......

Swindon Town......LOST
Brentford...........LOST
Tranmere Rovers.....LOST

There's still an awful lot to play for in what remains of the season. What a season!!!

Pity about Yeovil ...

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Guest wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:An interesting day, and not just for our superb 4-0 demolition of the Sky Blues......

Swindon Town......LOST
Brentford...........LOST
Tranmere Rovers.....LOST

Pity about Yeovil ...

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought Yeovil were very poor in the televised match last week vs Swindon, and thought we'd take the points on Friday. Sadly for us though, Yeovil improved to take a point against us and three today off Notts C, so I guess we have to take our hats off to 'em for matching us point for point over Easter.

Sheff U on Saturday is now a monster match.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Mossiv.

Utterly mossiv.

Lost three in four and a half months.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:17 pm

We owed them that one, for a variety of reasons, and how sweet it is.

I'm so looking forward to Saturday and the visit of Sheffield United. Let's hope we can exceed todays attendance and get 8,000 down the Banks's because the club deserve it. I'm feeling ten feet tall tonight :) .
Last edited by BathSaddler on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:19 pm

While catching Tranmere & Yeovil should be our immediate concern, Swindon are looking increasingly catchable as well. Only 3 points ahead of us now, and their next two are away at MK & Sheffield United.

Anything can happen in this crazy league this season.

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:28 pm

What a utterly freezing yet glorious afternoon at the Bezzla! Fantastic team performance with every Walsall player to a man deserving the applause they received at full time. Once Coventry (quite rightly) went down to ten men with the sending off of the truly woeful Jordan Stewart, it was just a question of how many really. We toyed with them for the last fifteen minutes.

Loved it!

bushbury red
UTS Regular

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Happy days

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:36 pm

just got in, need to thaw out and go back to bed. Glad i ventured out with the man flu for that. Amazing

We absolutely dicked on them, we deserve the play offs. Every single man fights and plays for the team, we even passed like Barca on that crapheap of a pitch. Today Grigg wasnt even in the squad, and my main man Westcarr was tremendous, and if you still cant see what he does after today take up knitting.

Amazed how Coventry gave up at 2-0. They just did not even try, even so our fourth goal was sublime passing. Cheers to Joe Murphy for being his usual gash self. He couldnt catch a cold. Truely woeful team. Who is that lanky steak of dildo Adam Barton? Where did they get him from, a cave?

The new goalie is the best we have had all season too. Calm, and a huge bloke who aint fussed about playing neanderthals like Coventry.

Me and Pato had a moment when he scored, he was lookin into my eyes :wink:

Johnstone - Easy 7 out of ten, made a few good saves.
Chambers - Beautiful chin of a man. mmm
Butler - His kinda game, barely put a foot wrong.
Downing - Future star.
Taylor - Another fine specimen of a man. Arguably mr consistent of the year.

Mantom - Strange MOTM, he was tidy after a few stray passes early on
Chambers - Solid, good chin. Ace.
Paterson - He was also very good today. Unlucky on a mazy run at the end. He had a good head on him today.
Baxendale - Here there, and everywhere. His tidy footwork set up the first goal. Yow just cor tackle him.
Westcarr - Did all the hard work up front on his own, often isolated, against two/three humungous freaks all the time. His dive in the first half was terrible mind, but he was unlucky to score a hat trick. MOTM by a mile.
Brandy - Another top performance from him, if not for his defensive duties. He made 3/4 outstanding tackles. Unlucky not to score. No chance in hell will he be here next year :(

The ref was terrible and so was the linesman, luckily it all went in our favour. The fact the lino didnt see a blatent Coventry corner in the second half summed him up. Where do they find these useless buggers?

UTS

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:There hasn't been a rape and a pillaging like this since the dark ages.

:lol: Nice one.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Oh and another cheeky 50 quid from Walsall FC. :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Superb performance, would be a shame to miss out on the playoffs now...but it also shows what the club can achieve if they keep Pato, Brandy, Mantom and Grigg for next year. Those 4 have been immense since January.

Oh and will someone tell "Alan" he hasn't got a voice for radio.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:58 pm

4-0 you can`t catch me i know it`s April Fools Day.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Two teams involved at the start.
Suddenly - a massacre.
I was there.
The end.

:D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Attendance announced as 7,504

With 2,459 from Coventry, meaning 5,000+ Saddlers for the first time this season.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Who is this idiot that keeps phoning Dingle FM?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:16 pm

They were cack. We play sexy football. Easy

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:24 pm

Wowsers! What a performance today. A deserved scoreline for an awesome display.
Grigg wasn't playing so in came Baxendale to tear them apart and Westcarr went up top. Why didn't Smith play this way against Hartlepool?
With Baxendale in the team we look like a really slick outfit. He is good with the ball and allows Paterson and Brandy to create chances as well.
Paterson opened the scoring with some good close control in the box and a great finish from a tight angle.
Westcarr got a penalty after Baxendale had been chopped down. Coventry went down to 10 men and then Westcarr and Paterson helped themselves to more goals.
Westcarr, the least mobile of our attacking players, played well doing the simple things well.
The back five were a compact unit not giving Coventry a chance. Chambers and Mantom protected the back four and ensured our creative players got as much as the ball as possible.
And boy did we create. Brandy did most of it, popping up everywhere and picking up lots of free-kicks. This gave Paterson loads of space to exploit which he did superbly. As well as his two goals he went on some other brilliant runs and could have got more.
A great day to be a Saddler.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Only Swindon & Bournmouth have scored more goals than us at home now both 37 and we are now on 36 :D

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Enjoyed every minute of that today. Thought it was pretty even first twenty then we just got better and better despite the pitch again. It's also so good to watch the lads with a healthy crowd behind the goal too . Barry Fry sat infront of me and he loved Brandy taking the pee at times ! !
As for the play offs we just can't seem to bridge that gap all we can do is go for the win between now and last game and see where it puts us. If we can sneak it I don't think any of the other three would want to play us right now. Keep it up Walsall we are having a ball !
Up the Saddlers forever :D

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:36 pm

Yet again, another fantastic team performance. It's been on the cards for a good few months that someone would come here and get an absolute hammering. What makes it even sweeter is that it was against one of our supposed rivals and rights the wrongs at the Richo earlier in the season. On a personal note, I've been waiting for this since they hammerd us at home a few years ago. I'm sure it was the first time we saw Andy Petterson.

It's wonderful to be in a position where it's hard to choose a man of the match. The previous two seasons saw the same problem, but entirely different circumstances, with pretty much every player being awful. Now, everywhere you look, every one of the players stakes a claim.

Bar the opening ten miniuts of the second half, they never threatened. The second goal came just at the right time, as the pressure mounted. After that we were in complete control. The third goal was just deserved and the fourth put the icing on the cake. The first goal from Patterson was up there with the best individual goals you'll see. If it were from Ronaldo, Messi, or anyone else, we would be talking about it for weeks.

The longer the season goes on, the more apparent it is that we will loose Brandy. The past few games he hasn't quite been at it, but today he was unplayable. One moment summed up just how good he was, when he got two of their players booked in the space of thirty seconds. Equally impressive is his defensive contribution.

Today also confirms that we can play this system without Grigg. Don't get me wrong, you'd rather have him
In the side than without, but Westcarr is a good alternative and links up so well with Baxendale, who, even if Grigg is fit, would be hard to drop.

It's so good to be a Saddler right now. UTS

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:53 pm

5-1 loss and a 4-0 win (5-5) so that makes a Walsall win overall on away goals :lol:

Cracking performance, as mentioned above, very even start to the game chances at either end, great goal from Paterson and we seemed to flourish from then on!

Credit to Cov, decent support, pretty quiet but I suppose that was influenced by the score and recent goings on at the club. Oh and thanks for the extra £50,000 or so for the club as a result of that away attendance ;)

UTS

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:55 pm

TheGilbertAlsop wrote:Wowsers! What a performance today. A deserved scoreline for an awesome display.
Grigg wasn't playing so in came Baxendale to tear them apart and Westcarr went up top. Why didn't Smith play this way against Hartlepool?
With Baxendale in the team we look like a really slick outfit. He is good with the ball and allows Paterson and Brandy to create chances as well.
Paterson opened the scoring with some good close control in the box and a great finish from a tight angle.
Westcarr got a penalty after Baxendale had been chopped down. Coventry went down to 10 men and then Westcarr and Paterson helped themselves to more goals.
Westcarr, the least mobile of our attacking players, played well doing the simple things well.
The back five were a compact unit not giving Coventry a chance. Chambers and Mantom protected the back four and ensured our creative players got as much as the ball as possible.
And boy did we create. Brandy did most of it, popping up everywhere and picking up lots of free-kicks. This gave Paterson loads of space to exploit which he did superbly. As well as his two goals he went on some other brilliant runs and could have got more.
A great day to be a Saddler.

My thoughts exactly. It's difficult to criticise Deano with the job he's doing on "a budget most league 2 managers would turn their nose up at" - Mark Yates (League 2 Cheltenham manager), but I think he was too cautious at Hartlepool and Yeovil. We're always much slicker and create and score more when Baxendale plays, and it would be looking even rosier if he'd played in those games, or at least come on earlier.

Game on though, UTS. We were frickin awesome today. Same again Saturday please to put the pressure on the Blunts.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:55 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Two teams involved at the start.
Suddenly - a massacre.
I was there.
The end.

:D

I was there too. But ended up supping beer in the Saddlers Club. Cheap beer.... No money for Boner.... Mmmmmm

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:59 pm

As someone who has only been to 6 games (approx) this season including the last couple - the main difference for me is the competitiveness of the players in the team. Brandy and Patterson today were niggling away at their players and gave them no time when they had the ball. The Walsall defence is immense - Butler looks back to his best with this line-up. I thought they all did well today, but MOTM for me was Brandy - although he took some brutal tackles - he kept getting up and having another go. I may have been only an occasional visitor this season, but they are winning me over with the "sexy football" - this is more like it. The fans that didn't give in deserve it... UTS

Graydon48
Glitterati

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:02 pm

That so makes up for that hammering at their place. Hope they enjoyed the cold walk back to their cars as much as I did after we lost. Vile ass holes.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season