Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil Town (A) League 1 Friday 29/3/13

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Yeovil Town (A) League 1 Friday 29/3/13

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:06 pm

A very decent point. Let's win on Monday and then see where we are.

575 Saddlers at Huish Park today.

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 pm

The whole team defended superbly well today with the two centre-halves being the pick of the bunch. Johnstone hardly touched the ball at all and we restricted them to a couple of long range efforts from their big centre-half.
The first half was pretty equal I thought. Brandy going the closest with a long-range effort the keeper could only parry away. Although they had good spells of possession (their right-back appeared to be everywhere) they couldn't do anything with it.
As soon as the second-half started we got Brandy more into the game and were all over them as we had wave after wave of attacks in the first ten minutes but came away with nothing to show for it and no real chances created.
Grigg came the closest just before he was substituted, at last forcing their keeper into a save from a run of successive corners. Hemmings came on for Grigg and Brandy played up top, with Hemmings on the left and Paterson on the right. We still couldn't create a decent chance though and the game huffed and puffed to its inevitable goalless conclusion.
Although we were the slightly better team I think a draw was the best result.
Sawyers had a few minutes at the end and won a couple of headed flick-ons but you can't really judge him on that alone.
Man of the match is anyone from Butler, Downing, James or Adam Chambers. I will plump for Downing who looked in control throughout and also kept possession well.

There were also two farcical moments when we went down to ten men. Brandy came off for five minutes in the first half as he appeared to have lost a shin pad or something like that and disappeared down the tunnel then got called back and after much faffing around on the bench eventually came back on.
Then with a couple of minutes left, Hemmings came off as I think he took a whack in the face. Baxendale was ready to come on, the paperwork handed in, then all of a sudden Hemmings rose from the dead (appropriately, for this time of year) then sprinted back on, leaving Baxendale jilted at the altar. Can anyone clear up what actually happened in both these cases?

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:07 pm

A poor game in all honesty where neither side really took the initiative to go on and grab the game with both hands. Defensively we looked very solid but on occasions ended up trying to do too much when getting into their final third. Brandy's strike in the first half was a cracker and produced a decent save from Stech and there were a few goal mouth scrambles at the start of the 2nd half but nothing really went our way. The pitch was not good and the ball didn't really seem to carry at all which affected our play - thought Manton was poor today, rushed too many things and wasn't as effective as normal. Thought Grigg was struggling with his hamstring at one stage hence the substitution. New keeper wasn't really tested at all but thought his kicking was pretty poor. The Chambers' brothers put in solid displays, particularly James who I thought defended very well. All in all, a good point - whether it will be enough we will have to wait and see, Monday's game his huge and I think a win is the only realistic possibility if the dream is to stay alive.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:19 pm

Two teams knowing full well a draw wasn't a bad result but a loss would be a catastrophe.

Thought we played pretty well but felt we missed something, we didn't seem ruthless enough today. Nevertheless, a good point all the same.

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:28 pm

I went, was late, I queued, was irritated by thickest most stupid Chief Steward [Operations] who told me that the reason they couldn't operate cash turnstiles was because they had to ensure that if 'a large car load of fans suddenly turned up they couldn't enter without a ticket'!!!!? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU COMPLETE IMBECILE? , was searched by two tattooed fudge wit nose stud earring wearing stewards for nuclear devices, Kalashnikov assault rifles and poison tipped umbrellas, was cold, was not entertained, drab match, Westcarr has the mobility and finishing quality of an ironing board, then I went home. The end.

PS Lucky jumper to be burnt as punishment.

SWS1

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:34 pm

Ooh, Cully, perleeeeease don't burn your lucky jumper or we're DOOOOOMED!
:lol:

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 pm

You've got a lucky jumper... you never mentioned it. :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:50 am

TheGilbertAlsop wrote: There were also two farcical moments when we went down to ten men. Brandy came off for five minutes in the first half as he appeared to have lost a shin pad or something like that and disappeared down the tunnel then got called back and after much faffing around on the bench eventually came back on.
Then with a couple of minutes left, Hemmings came off as I think he took a whack in the face. Baxendale was ready to come on, the paperwork handed in, then all of a sudden Hemmings rose from the dead (appropriately, for this time of year) then sprinted back on, leaving Baxendale jilted at the altar. Can anyone clear up what actually happened in both these cases?

According to the commentators on Radio WM, Brandy had a cut on his shin and had to get a dressing on it to stop the blood. Players aren't allowed to bleed on the pitch any more are they, in case they start off an epidemic of the black death or something of that ilk!

In the case of Hemmings, the commentators were calling for Baxendale to be sent on as we were down to ten men and might come under greater pressure, maybe concede a last-minute goal as a result - "there's only two minutes to go, stop messing about with Hemmings and get another player on" was the general jist of what they were saying. Then, they were as surprised as anyone when Hemmings was sent back on, so there was no explanation given of why no substitution took place.

That's all I can tell you.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:09 am

geoffwhiting wrote:
TheGilbertAlsop wrote: There were also two farcical moments when we went down to ten men. Brandy came off for five minutes in the first half as he appeared to have lost a shin pad or something like that and disappeared down the tunnel then got called back and after much faffing around on the bench eventually came back on.

According to the commentators on Radio WM, Brandy had a cut on his shin and had to get a dressing on it to stop the blood. Players aren't allowed to bleed on the pitch any more are they, in case they start off an epidemic of the black death or something of that ilk!

In the case of Hemmings, the commentators were calling for Baxendale to be sent on as we were down to ten men and might come under greater pressure, maybe concede a last-minute goal as a result - "there's only two minutes to go, stop messing about with Hemmings and get another player on" was the general jist of what they were saying. Then, they were as surprised as anyone when Hemmings was sent back on, so there was no explanation given of why no substitution took place.

That's all I can tell you.

Hemmings took the ball full on in his face. Presume he had nose bleed. Baxendale should have come on,farse.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:45 am

PT wrote:Disappointed I can't go.

Effectively a cup match today, so I hope Dean goes for it a bit more than last saturday.

He didn't.

[Stayaway mode]Bonser must have them all on bonuses to not win games so we miss promotion[/Stayaway mode]

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:32 am

The dream is still there to chase - imagine

Tranmere beaten by the resurgent pompey

Yeovil dumped by Notts C

Coventry taken apart at the fortress Banks

at 5.45 on Monday we are 1 point off the play-offs

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:12 am

canadiansaddler wrote:at 5.45 on Monday we are 1 point off the play-offs

Originally I thought we'd need to win at Yeovil to keep ourselves in contention, but now I think all we need to do is get ourselves within 3 points going into those last three games. Scunthorpe, Bury and Crewe aren't too daunting a set of fixtures to end the season with.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:28 am

After a 5 hour journey and just making kick-off we were left a little disappointed yesterday. Not by the fact that we earned a good under normal circumstances point away at a play-off contender but by the last 15-20 minutes tactics.
Didn't our manager realise these were not normal circumstances. If the dream was to be kept alive we needed a win not a draw. Knowing that Yeovil hardly tested our keeper we should have gone all out for a win not sit back quite happy with a point.
These times define a season and quite frankly I thought Deano seemed more happy to preserve our unbeaten run that go all out to make the play-offs!

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 am

m&m wrote:After a 5 hour journey and just making kick-off we were left a little disappointed yesterday. Not by the fact that we earned a good under normal circumstances point away at a play-off contender but by the last 15-20 minutes tactics.
Didn't our manager realise these were not normal circumstances. If the dream was to be kept alive we needed a win not a draw. Knowing that Yeovil hardly tested our keeper we should have gone all out for a win not sit back quite happy with a point.
These times define a season and quite frankly I thought Deano seemed more happy to preserve our unbeaten run that go all out to make the play-offs!

Disagree. If we had lost to a break away goal then our season would be over. As it is there are still 15 points to play for and we are only 4 points off a play off place.

If it had been the last game of the season I would agree with you.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:16 am

As annoying as a tentative draw could be, our season is still alive. A loss yesterday would've ended our season.

Thinking about it, I agree with Rob. If we can get through Coventry and Sheffield Utd and still be in touch, it's still on.

We've lost three in four and a half months.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:11 am

I was more disappointed in the draw at Hartlepool than yesterday. It's still on, but only just. Not much room for error now.

Win the next two and we may be in with a shout, which given how the season looked not all that long ago is pretty good.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Elsewhere.... Coventry City 1 Doncaster Rovers 0

(and much good it may do them!!) :D

The BBC website just had the following gem - "Febian Brandy takes a shot, save by Sam Johnstone" :shock:

They do get that straight from PA (Press Association)

They do actually, so do Sky

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:45 am

Looking at there remaining fixtures one team more than any other could have a major impact - MK Dons, next four games Brentford, Crawley, Swindon and Orient

They can either knock themselves out of contention (With there two game in hand they would go 7th) or take 3 points of rivals.

Others also have the opportunity to take points off each other

Crawley have MK and Sheff Utd
Tranmere have Doncaster and Bournemouth to play
Yeovil play no one of real consquence
Sheff United have Ourselves, Crawley, Swindon and Brentford
Swindon have Doncaster,MK and Sheff Utd (all away)
Brentford have MK, Sheff Utd and Doncaster
Bournemouth play no one of real consquence
Doncaster have Swindon, Tranmere and Brentford

This is far from over

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season