Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (A) League 1 Saturday 23/3/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Hartlepool United (A) League 1 Saturday 23/3/13.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:04 pm

It was very very very cold. If it was a boxing match, we'd have won on points, but we just didn't have enough up front to break the deadlock. This is where the Goodman / Benjamin type of player would have come into his own.

I liked the ground though. Nice & neat with a terrace for the home fans. Reminded me of Rochdale.

Last edited by aaaae on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:07 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Is Bowerman already signed up for next year? I'd of played him in this game instead of Featherstone

I'd have played him up front instead of Westcarr, maybe play Westcarr instead of Fetherstone.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Didn't go, glad I didn't go. You can't win them all, but in reality if they were serious about promotion, they would have gone there and took these today. 4 wins and 2 draws may not even be enough given our poor goal difference.

Not quite over, a win at Yeeeooovil could swing it again, keep it alive as long as we possibly can, it's been a great season.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:10 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Not quite over, a win at Yeeeooovil could swing it again, keep it alive as long as we possibly can, it's been a great season.

I agree. For us to have something to play for as we approach April other than survival is a refreshing change.

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:41 pm

A disappointing day.

I can take losing or drawing but to approach this game the way we did has left me more disappointed. Why did Featherstone play? I like him but he is not a creative player. We should have played Baxendale instead and played more positively.

When Featherstone came off we looked a lot better. Hemmings had an impact straight away and had our best chance of the game as we dominated the last 30 minutes. It also Brandy more into the game. Loads of half-chances were created and on a better day and with Grigg in the team we would have taken those.

Johnstone had a decent debut making a fine save in the first half as Hartlepool coped with the windy conditions better and twice narrowly missed scoring. His distribution could be better but it was very windy so I can let him off with that.

We scrapped and fought throughout an awful game. We needed some quality and only got that towards the end when Hemmings came on. As well as Hemmings' miss, Bowerman, Paterson, Mantom and Brandy all squandered decent chances as we panicked in front of goal.

Roll on Yeovil.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Don't think we are out of playoff contention at all. Yeovil have taken 1pt from their last 2 games. Throwing a 2 goal lead away will feel a lot worse to them than our 0-0 at Hartlepool. Tranmere are in freefall . The dream is still alive.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Its not over yet ,but only because of other results. :( We must beat yeovil. :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:02 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Don't think we are out of playoff contention at all. Yeovil have taken 1pt from their last 2 games. Throwing a 2 goal lead away will feel a lot worse to them than our 0-0 at Hartlepool. Tranmere are in freefall . The dream is still alive.

Hope you are right, today was deffo two points dropped, but the way this team has turned round our season from a relegation scrap to a challenge for a 'play off' spot has been nothing short of a footballing miracle!
I have dreamt of an appearance at Wembley for all my 55+ years watching my beloved Saddlers, ever since standing at the Laundry end watching Colin Taylor smash in another thunderball left footer!
If Dewsbury can see 8" of snow a week before Easter, Walsall F.C. can reach the play offs, here's to a scarf being wrapped around Sister Dora once again!!

UTS for ever....

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:05 pm

It's one out of Yeovil down to Orient. If we don't win on Friday, celebrate the progress and focus on next year.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:14 pm

That's 4 points squandered against Hartlepool this season.
Smith got the changes just about right but at least 15 minutes too late. Featherstone was nearly as much a fish out of water as he was during the Colchester debacle ; Westcarr is not a central striker/targetman.
To be fair, the conditions were very tricky - perhaps Mantom needs to bulk out a bit since the wind appeared to knock him over at critical moments.
After a distinctly dodgy 15 minute spell in the 1st half, Hartlepool were there for the taking during the 2nd half. Unfortunately, despite a lot of huffing and puffing, we did not manage one shot on target.
Underwhelming and disappointing.
One major plus point - Johnstone was excellent.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:32 pm

TheGilbertAlsop wrote:A disappointing day.

I can take losing or drawing but to approach this game the way we did has left me more disappointed. Why did Featherstone play? I like him but he is not a creative player. We should have played Baxendale instead and played more positively.

When Featherstone came off we looked a lot better. Hemmings had an impact straight away and had our best chance of the game as we dominated the last 30 minutes. It also Brandy more into the game. Loads of half-chances were created and on a better day and with Grigg in the team we would have taken those.

Johnstone had a decent debut making a fine save in the first half as Hartlepool coped with the windy conditions better and twice narrowly missed scoring. His distribution could be better but it was very windy so I can let him off with that.

We scrapped and fought throughout an awful game. We needed some quality and only got that towards the end when Hemmings came on. As well as Hemmings' miss, Bowerman, Paterson, Mantom and Brandy all squandered decent chances as we panicked in front of goal.

Roll on Yeovil.

You've said all I was going to say. Deano got it wrong today, and when he put it right it was too late. We looked far better with Bowerman and Hemmings on the pitch and Brandy down the middle.

Ultimately we're a point closer, so all is not lost.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 pm

I see the "I didn't go" brigade are saying release Hemmings...

IMO he's livened things up in the last three games when hes came on.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Cheesebag wrote:I see the "I didn't go" brigade are saying release Hemmings...

The commentary on WM seemed to suggest the same, which left me a bit bemused by some of the earlier comments on here.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Don't think we are out of playoff contention at all. Yeovil have taken 1pt from their last 2 games. Throwing a 2 goal lead away will feel a lot worse to them than our 0-0 at Hartlepool. Tranmere are in freefall . The dream is still alive.

I agree G48, the dream IS still alive. Isn't it also just 2 points from Yeovil's last 3 games - didn't they also lose a 2-0 lead to Crawley and end up drawing 2-2 about 10 days ago? Can't be good for their confidence losing two 2-0 leads and getting well stuffed by Swindon. On the balance of play, that 2-0 defeat to the Robins could and should have been at least 2 or 3 more against.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:05 pm

Exactly.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:59 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Roll on Yeovil.

You've said all I was going to say. Deano got it wrong today, and when he put it right it was too late. We looked far better with Bowerman and Hemmings on the pitch and Brandy down the middle.

Not going to comment on the game as such, because I didn't see it. A point wasn't really enough today, if we had realistic hopes of making the play offs though. I realise we can't win every game, and it's hard to be negative considering the run we are on. If we really were serious about the play offs then I consider today two points dropped, not one gained. It's not over, but it's getting closer now. 6 points over Easter would make it interesting though.

I'm not going to be disappointed even if it all fizzles out now, we have made huge progress in many areas this season, and at long last there is some light at not so long back was a very dark tunnel.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:08 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Roll on Yeovil.

Not going to comment on the game as such, because I didn't see it. A point wasn't really enough today, if we had realistic hopes of making the play offs though. I realise we can't win every game, and it's hard to be negative considering the run we are on. If we really were serious about the play offs then I consider today two points dropped, not one gained. It's not over, but it's getting closer now. 6 points over Easter would make it interesting though.

I'm not going to be disappointed even if it all fizzles out now, we have made huge progress in many areas this season, and at long last there is some light at not so long back was a very dark tunnel.

I agree it was 2 points dropped, but we're a point closer. Of the Yeovil,Coventry and this game, Hartlepool was the only one we could afford a draw. It's 6 points required now at Easter, which I think is possible.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:56 am

You can see why Smith played Featherstone in the link-up role given the impact he had when he came on against Crawley. Didn't work yesterday though. Ditto, Westcarr as the lone striker - never got into the game. Awful conditions but the fact we suddenly came alive when Smith switched it around showed what could have been.

Hemmings' cameo was a positive. He seems to want to knuckle down and fulfil his potential which is good news if Brandy goes in the summer.

Downing was my man of the match, closely followed by George Bowerman's hair, which has now been teased up into such a vertiginous quiff that they will have to add five inches to his official stats in the Rothmans yearbook.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:02 am

bangsection wrote:You can see why Smith played Featherstone in the link-up role given the impact he had when he came on against Crawley.

I like Featherstone, but I think the line up was too negative, against a side that hadn't scored for 4 games. We only needed to nick a goal, and needed to create more chances, that Baxendale would have done. And Bowerman is much more suited to playing up front on his own than Westcarr, as he proved when he came on. You could see from the body language of the players at the end, that they wasted a good opportunity.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:16 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
bangsection wrote:You can see why Smith played Featherstone in the link-up role given the impact he had when he came on against Crawley.

I like Featherstone, but I think the line up was too negative, against a side that hadn't scored for 4 games. We only needed to nick a goal, and needed to create more chances, that Baxendale would have done. And Bowerman is much more suited to playing up front on his own than Westcarr, as he proved when he came on. You could see from the body language of the players at the end, that they wasted a good opportunity.

this, pretty much. there ain't enough about westcarr's game, in terms of both goals and dynamism, to spearhead an attack.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:15 pm

Spot on cheesebag - he is chomping at the bit and his cameo appearances recently have been impressive! Couldn't make the trip yesterday but good to hear Johnstone made a decent debut, not likely to be recalled either so if he impresses until the end of the season it may be worth looking to get him back on a season long loan next year and bring in a decent no 2. Roll on Yeovil - huge, huge game for both teams and hope we manage to take a few down there.

By the way, people who are saying "season over" and sound really miserable about things - who would have thought we would be in this position when we were smashed 5-1 by Coventry? The club have turned things around unbelievably and people should start praising Deano and the lads for what they have achieved this season based on the last couple of seasons of dross - play-offs or no play-offs! One thing you can be sure about, this group of players are going to give it a bloody good go!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:17 pm

If Grigg ay fit next game, hes gorra play Bowerman. Even if he just goal hangs for 90 minutes.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:37 pm

latviancheese wrote:If Grigg ay fit next game, hes gorra play Bowerman. Even if he just goal hangs for 90 minutes.

Absolutely spot on...

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm

latviancheese wrote:If Grigg ay fit next game, hes gorra play Bowerman. Even if he just goal hangs for 90 minutes.

or start hemmings with brandy through the middle.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:42 pm

Season is far from over, but we have to beat Yeovil or at the very least not lose to them.

Let's hope Stevenage do us a favour latter today.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:33 pm

cack result. All over.

Bonser and smith out.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:14 pm

"I didn't go" but anyway we can't really release him can we? He is under contract for next season, so paying him off seems a bit ridiculous. I have never doubted he has some ability, but his attitude has to come under question earlier in the season.

Maybe by watching the likes of Grigg and Brandy, he has realised what can be achieved with a change of attitude, it certainly worked for Grigg and Brandy, so no reason why it can't for him.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Thats ok then, did someone forget to tell him the season started 8 months ago? ? :roll:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:03 pm

I thought Tranmere were the team to catch until I looked at the Blades fixtures.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:31 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:

Thats ok then, did someone forget to tell him the season started 8 months ago? ? :roll:

So what?

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season