Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crawley Town (H) League 1 Saturday 16/3/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Crawley Town (H) League 1 Saturday 16/3/13.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Also thought paterson had a poor game. Strange how opinions differ.

Some people get blinded by fancy runs, but its end product that counts for a player like Paterson. Me and you could run at people and lose the ball. His one moment of quality when he got it right was his run, and hit the post. Fortunately his workrate and covering at the back is brilliant so he's contributing to the team, even when he's not at his best.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:22 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Me and you could run at people and lose the ball.

And me. Apart from the running bit.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:37 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Also thought paterson had a poor game. Strange how opinions differ.

Some people get blinded by fancy runs, but its end product that counts for a player like Paterson. Me and you could run at people and lose the ball. His one moment of quality when he got it right was his run, and hit the post. Fortunately his workrate and covering at the back is brilliant so he's contributing to the team, even when he's not at his best.

That's Paterson though, ay it. He does try to beat one too many and he often fails to pick out the right pass, but he is always available, never hides and is always likely to come up with a vital goal or assist. He also keeps it going for 90 minutes, evidenced by the late impact he has had in numerous games.

I think that he will be a hell of a player in two or three years time.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:48 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

That's Paterson though, ay it. He does try to beat one too many and he often fails to pick out the right pass, but he is always available, never hides and is always likely to come up with a vital goal or assist. He also keeps it going for 90 minutes, evidenced by the late impact he has had in numerous games.

I think that he will be a hell of a player in two or three years time.

Oh yeah, I've no doubt about that. He's got as much potential as any other young player I've seen. You're that it is Paterson (and wingers in general), but until recently it looked like he'd grown up with his decision making. It might be that he's a little tired and needs a rest, but like I say, its a brave man to drop him when he's chipping in with vital goals.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:49 pm

bangsection wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Me and you could run at people and lose the ball.

And me. Apart from the running bit.

I was being a bit ambitious with that comment. Waddle would have been more appropriate.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Hang on a second Mystic, you just said he should be dropped or subbed :? Make your mind up or is this one of your cunning plans?

On the subject of Paterson, it's embarrassing the number of our fans that burst into tears every time he loses the ball, misplaces a pass or blasts a speculative shot into the stands. After the dross we've had to suffer over the last 6 years he has my full support to carry on entertaining me, he is without doubt a very talented player. Whether we get to see that on a consistent basis or some other team benefits from some proper coaching is beyond our control.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:53 pm

Cully wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Hang on a second Mystic, you just said he should be dropped or subbed :? Make your mind up or is this one of your cunning plans?

On the subject of Paterson, it's embarrassing the number of our fans that burst into tears every time he loses the ball, misplaces a pass or blasts a speculative shot into the stands. After the dross we've had to suffer over the last 6 years he has my full support to carry on entertaining me, he is without doubt a very talented player. Whether we get to see that on a consistent basis or some other team benefits from some proper coaching is beyond our control.

He should be dropped, to give him a rest, and the kick he needs. However we can't afford not to have him in the team unfortunately.

You say you're not sure you'll see the consistency while he's at Walsall, but that's my point, he has been consistent this year up until the Swindon game.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:40 pm

There is no doubt Paterson makes bad decisions at times, tries to shoot to often when a pass would be better etc etc, the day he learns to do those things better, he wont be in a Walsall shirt for long. It's hard to knock his contribution this season, unless you would prefer Kevan Hurst, Alex Nicholls, etc etc.

Paterson has the potential to be one of the best attacking players we have had for years, if he keeps working hard, learning and gaining experience, we could have one hell of a player on our hands. As it is, he is already doing a fine job for us.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Waddle would have been more appropriate.

:shock: :?: :?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Up in diamond lights.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:39 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Up in diamond lights.

Thanks. Thanks for that particularly awful earworm.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 am

I wouldn't say Pato was awful yesterday, but he was never in the MOTM catagory either. His decision making at times is poor. The instance where it was him and Brandy against two of their defenders. He beat one and, for me, instead of shooting he overhit a pass that forced Brandy wide and narrowed the shooting angle. You can't knock the lad though as previously said, he's the one player who never hides, demands the ball, and has that knack of scoring crucial goals.

He's an instinct player, and For me, that's when he's at his best. When he's surrounded by defenders he's at his best. He doesn't have to think about anything because he's got no time to. It's when he's got time to get his head up that he struggles a bit, but like we say, it comes with experience, and he's proven that he's learning. I'd say its just abit of fatigue why his standards have dropped a bit.

Think I'd have gone for Mantom as MOTM. He played some lovely cross field balls, and put his foot in where it hurts. Overshadowed Chambers which hasn't been the case for a few weeks.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Yeehaaaaa!!

Never, ever, ever give in!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And never ever ever leave early!

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 pm

PT wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:
Wyrley_saddler wrote:Credit to Crawley, they executed their tactics to perfection for 90 minutes, unfortunately for them there was 4 added on at the end of that! They came to frustrate us and play on the counter. They did this rather well and deserved their 2-0 lead. We tried and tried again, but with Pato and Brandy constantly isolated we struggled. The game changed with the introduction of Featherstone for the ineffective Westcarr. Featho linked everything up superbly and opened up the play for us. As a result, we got back into the game and stole what could be a very vital point from the clutches of defeat.

As for Pato, I thought he was poor today. Rarely beat his man, held onto the ball too long and constantly lost possession because of his inability to release the ball. Tries to do to much, he'd be so much more effective if he used those around him rather than trying to be the next messi.

My MOTM was Paul Downing, who I though was superb. Defensively solid and calm and composed on the ball throughout.

I would agree with all of this apart Paterson was the MOM for me! Yes he did his usual one-defender-too-far thing but he did create lots of chances too. The shot he got in that hit the post was superb.

It was obvious that Crawley had done their homework on Brandy. I think he needs a rest. I would be tempted to play Hemmings at Hartlepool and leave Brandy on the bench and bring him on in the unlikely event of us being behind.

Not a bad shout about Brandy, but he'll pick up his booking at some point and get his two game rest then. I rather worry he'll get his booking next week and miss Yeovil and coventry which are season defining games. But you're right - Hemmings is the most like-for-like replacement. He's made a couple of decent cameo appearances recently and even as an un-used substitute always seems dead happy when we're winning. So hopefully he's chomping at the bit to get a start and show us what he can do.

According to the programme on Saturday since his last suspension for picking up 5 bookings, Brandy has picked up 3 yellows so he still needs 2 more for another suspension but the programme might be wrong.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Tremendous. We'll need to play for 90 minutes against Yeovil and Coventry if we're going to do this.

On another not Paterson needs to buck his ideas up. He needs dropping or subbing, but won't because he's always likely to pop up with a goal. That might be enough to satisfy some, but we're not gonna make the play offs if he keeps playing below the high standards he's set himself. In the last 3 games is decison making has gone back to 6 months ago so he's keeping the ball too long instead of passing and passing when he's got a shot on. If he and Brandy had been on form at Swindon and yesterday, we'd be right in the mix already.

I think that's a slight dig at the Paterson moaners :lol: but i thought he was by far and away our best player.And Brandy probably had his worst game in a Walsall shirt.

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season