Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crawley Town (H) League 1 Saturday 16/3/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: Crawley Town (H) League 1 Saturday 16/3/13.

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:01 pm

The beard. The beard. The beard.

It stays!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Like Swindon showed last week, this team definitely has sizeable gonads.

Crawley did what I expected Tranmere, another big physical team with a good tactical manager, to do - they shut down Brandy who was faced by three defenders every time he got the ball. Unlike Tranmere, however, they had an excellent cutting edge on the break scoring one screamer and one after an excellent save by our irish dingle. The main problems to me today were that Westcarr was mediocre (making little use of the available space) and most critically Chambers had an off-day in central midfield rather than the stormer he's normally had for the past few months.

I'm thankful for the point because I don't think we can make any slipups if we are to get the unlikely playoff spot. We deserved it - Patterson's shot against the post seemed that it had to go in and if we'd equalised I'm certain we'd have gone on to win. I said to the bloke next to me that we had to score now just as Patterson got the first. The second goal felt significant.

Now boys, kick on - 4 points is the minimum acceptable return from the next two away games if we are going to make it to the north London industrial park, UTS.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:12 pm

boringteacher wrote:Like Swindon showed last week, this team definitely has sizeable gonads.

Crawley did what I expected Tranmere, another big physical team with a good tactical manager, to do - they shut down Brandy who was faced by three defenders every time he got the ball. Unlike Tranmere, however, they had an excellent cutting edge on the break scoring one screamer and one after an excellent save by our irish dingle. The main problems to me today were that Westcarr was mediocre (making little use of the available space) and most critically Chambers had an off-day in central midfield rather than the stormer he's normally had for the past few months.

I'm thankful for the point because I don't think we can make any slipups if we are to get the unlikely playoff spot. We deserved it - Patterson's shot against the post seemed that it had to go in and if we'd equalised I'm certain we'd have gone on to win. I said to the bloke next to me that we had to score now just as Patterson got the first. The second goal felt significant.

Now boys, kick on - 4 points is the minimum acceptable return from the next two away games if we are going to make it to the north London industrial park, UTS.

And, I need the cash from my payout, the wife has toady chosen a new kitchen, and American style Fridge freezer, so I'm a bit 'strapped'! Good point today, 2-0 down with 3 minutes to go, to come away with a point is nothing short of a 'good team spirit' if nowt else! looking forward to Hartlepool on Sat... :) :)

saddlernoggin
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:25 pm

saddlernoggin wrote:As well as we have been playing we have yet to give anyone a right dicking and my gut feeling is that today could be the day. I fancy us to stick in 5 or 6.

I'll get me coat.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Fantastic comeback by the lads today and 2-2 ended up feeling like a win. The pitch didn't help the way we play from the first minute and credit to Crawley for having their tactics spot on for most of the game. They doubled up on our wide men, defended resolutely and hit us with pace and good delivery when they had chance. It felt like it was going to be one of those days were we huff and puff but get nothing from the game, especially when Pato's shot hit the post, but they kept going and they're showing bottle to add to their skill.

It's disappointing there is a game on the pitch on Saturday as it needs as much time without any football as possible.

traymondo
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Listening to Radio 5 whilst putting up shelves in the bathroom.
Vile went ahead. Then the dingles. Then the blouse. We were still 0-2 down.
Only wish I could have been there for the last 5 minutes, if only to hear 1000 schoolkids sing "let's go jolly well mental, let's go jolly well mental, da na naaa na, da na naaa na..."
We are still very much in this. Just like the dingles and the Vile are still very much in their relegation battles, regardless of today's results... :)
Love this jolly well team, and hope Ibragriggovich keeps his tally ticking over by netting a couple for my adopted homeland this week...
UTS

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:37 pm

That was some comeback from being undeservedly 2-0 down. It looked like it would be one of those days even though we still played some great football.
The never say die attitude is fantastic.I would still have applauded them off if we had lost today.
Brandy mom though? Paterson stood out head and shoulders today.They could not get the ball off him.
We can still do this!

andyley

Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:38 pm

How does the song about having a team of Will Griggs go?

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:03 pm

andyley wrote:How does the song about having a team of Will Griggs go?

We all want a team of Willy Griggs, a team of Willy Griggs, a team of Willy Griggs,
We all want a team of Willy Griggs, a team of Willy Griggs, a team of Willy Griggs,
Number one, Willy Grigg
Number two, Willy Grigg
Number three, Willy Grigg
Number four, Willy Grigg
Number five, Willy Grigg
Number six, Willy Grigg
Number seven, Willy Grigg
Number eight, Willy Grigg
Number nine, Willy Grigg
Number ten, Willy Grigg
Number eleven, Willy Grigg
Number twelve, Willy Grigg
Last edited by kshammer on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Credit to Crawley, they executed their tactics to perfection for 90 minutes, unfortunately for them there was 4 added on at the end of that! They came to frustrate us and play on the counter. They did this rather well and deserved their 2-0 lead. We tried and tried again, but with Pato and Brandy constantly isolated we struggled. The game changed with the introduction of Featherstone for the ineffective Westcarr. Featho linked everything up superbly and opened up the play for us. As a result, we got back into the game and stole what could be a very vital point from the clutches of defeat.

As for Pato, I thought he was poor today. Rarely beat his man, held onto the ball too long and constantly lost possession because of his inability to release the ball. Tries to do to much, he'd be so much more effective if he used those around him rather than trying to be the next messi.

My MOTM was Paul Downing, who I though was superb. Defensively solid and calm and composed on the ball throughout.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Credit to Crawley, they executed their tactics to perfection for 90 minutes, unfortunately for them there was 4 added on at the end of that! They came to frustrate us and play on the counter. They did this rather well and deserved their 2-0 lead. We tried and tried again, but with Pato and Brandy constantly isolated we struggled. The game changed with the introduction of Featherstone for the ineffective Westcarr. Featho linked everything up superbly and opened up the play for us. As a result, we got back into the game and stole what could be a very vital point from the clutches of defeat.

As for Pato, I thought he was poor today. Rarely beat his man, held onto the ball too long and constantly lost possession because of his inability to release the ball. Tries to do to much, he'd be so much more effective if he used those around him rather than trying to be the next messi.

My MOTM was Paul Downing, who I though was superb. Defensively solid and calm and composed on the ball throughout.
:lol:

Seriously? Paterson terrorised them throughout,hit the inside of the post and started the comeback. His running with the ball is great to watch.OK occasionally he loses it but so does Messi. The clowns shouting for him to get rid of the ball as soon as it's at his feet are typical lower league football fans.
Yes Downing did well but could he have cleared the ball for their second?.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Credit to Crawley, they executed their tactics to perfection for 90 minutes, unfortunately for them there was 4 added on at the end of that! They came to frustrate us and play on the counter. They did this rather well and deserved their 2-0 lead. We tried and tried again, but with Pato and Brandy constantly isolated we struggled. The game changed with the introduction of Featherstone for the ineffective Westcarr. Featho linked everything up superbly and opened up the play for us. As a result, we got back into the game and stole what could be a very vital point from the clutches of defeat.

I would agree with all of this apart Paterson was the MOM for me! Yes he did his usual one-defender-too-far thing but he did create lots of chances too. The shot he got in that hit the post was superb.

It was obvious that Crawley had done their homework on Brandy. I think he needs a rest. I would be tempted to play Hemmings at Hartlepool and leave Brandy on the bench and bring him on in the unlikely event of us being behind.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:52 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:

I would agree with all of this apart Paterson was the MOM for me! Yes he did his usual one-defender-too-far thing but he did create lots of chances too. The shot he got in that hit the post was superb.

It was obvious that Crawley had done their homework on Brandy. I think he needs a rest. I would be tempted to play Hemmings at Hartlepool and leave Brandy on the bench and bring him on in the unlikely event of us being behind.

Not a bad shout about Brandy, but he'll pick up his booking at some point and get his two game rest then. I rather worry he'll get his booking next week and miss Yeovil and coventry which are season defining games. But you're right - Hemmings is the most like-for-like replacement. He's made a couple of decent cameo appearances recently and even as an un-used substitute always seems dead happy when we're winning. So hopefully he's chomping at the bit to get a start and show us what he can do.

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 pm

seriously mind boggled that you thought pato had a poor game, was motm and was a bit catalyst in our comeback today

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Pato M.O.M followed by Fetherstone who was brilliant when he came on. Special praise to McCarey for the point blank save to keep it at 0-2.

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:20 pm

bigbadsad wrote:seriously mind boggled that you thought pato had a poor game, was motm and was a bit catalyst in our comeback today

In both the first and second half walsall had a 3 attackers v 2 Crawley defenders attacking opportunity with Paterson on the ball.

On both occasions he held on to the ball for too long and the chance petered out.

Don't get me wrong. He had a decent game, but he needs to make better decisions before he starts getting MotM

I agree with the poster who said Downing was MotM.
Last edited by Worsul on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockin robin

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Good comeback but I'm afraid it's 2 points dropped lads ! Still you can see how a top team does it on sky on Tuesday night ! Btw I'm I'n shock you had no penalty today !

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:33 pm

Rockin robin wrote:Good comeback but I'm afraid it's 2 points dropped lads ! Still you can see how a top team does it on sky on Tuesday night ! Btw I'm I'n shock you had no penalty today !

Ay you funny with your little comments.

Going on another teams forum with comments... funny as fudge.

What a guy.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Rockin robin wrote:Good comeback but I'm afraid it's 2 points dropped lads ! Still you can see how a top team does it on sky on Tuesday night ! Btw I'm I'n shock you had no penalty today !

Swindle Town FC, Been cheating since 1990

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:14 am

Trolling is an art. You're at beginner level, so you're more of a twerp.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:48 am

Lost three games in four months.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:05 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Lost three games in four months.

PERIOD

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:07 am

King Crimson wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Lost three games in four months.

PERIOD

The good form keeps Tampax firmly in its box.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:08 am

Gained another point on 6th place.

Keep up our points per game and w will be in the playoffs.

RELENTLESS

PT
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:34 am

WarsawPact wrote:Gained another point on 6th place.

Keep up our points per game and w will be in the playoffs.

RELENTLESS

As others say though we need 4 points from these two away games to just keep pace with 5th and 6th who have two games in hand (admittedly one against eachother). 6 points should see us close the gap and maybe induce a 5 figure crowd for Coventry (even though I gather they've barely sold 1,500 tickets so far!).

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:53 am

Tremendous. We'll need to play for 90 minutes against Yeovil and Coventry if we're going to do this.

On another not Paterson needs to buck his ideas up. He needs dropping or subbing, but won't because he's always likely to pop up with a goal. That might be enough to satisfy some, but we're not gonna make the play offs if he keeps playing below the high standards he's set himself. In the last 3 games is decison making has gone back to 6 months ago so he's keeping the ball too long instead of passing and passing when he's got a shot on. If he and Brandy had been on form at Swindon and yesterday, we'd be right in the mix already.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:56 pm

Team clealry never knows when it is beaten. Can't remember last time we had a team spirit and attitude like this and the fitness levels must be good too. Could be a mossive point come the end of the season. :D

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:11 pm

Remakable , playing against a side who still have play off hopes , 2-0 down not playing well or certainly as well as we have being , come back a draw 2-2.

On this evidence altough we have more big games to come I cannot see us losing again this season .

lichsaddler

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:41 pm

On a slightly more boring note, I think Andy Taylor's performance was superb yesterday. Never put a foot wrong and for a guy that was injured and out of the game for a long time, he doesn't half get up and down the pitch all game long. If only Paterson had have passed the ball to him a few more time when he overlapped :D Didn't think we could get a LB as good as Mat Sadler but comparing them directly yesterday, I think he's better.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Also thought paterson had a poor game. Strange how opinions differ.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season