Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers {H) League 1 Tuesday 12/3/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
addo
UTS Veteran

Re: Tranmere Rovers {H) League 1 Tuesday 12/3/13.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Highlights are on Saddlers Player now.

Westcarrs strike looks good even in replay. :)

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:42 pm

addo wrote:Highlights are on Saddlers Player now.

How far out was he you reckon? 25-30 yards?

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Westcarr deservedly got man of the match yesterday even if he wouldn't have hit an absolute scorcher. James Chambers was a close second who did fantastic for Westcarr's goal, a committed display from all of the players and the confidence in the team is showing throughout.

Fantastic chance of us reaching the play off's now, a win against Crawley is well within our capabilities and then 2 massive away games at Hartlepool and Yeovil. If we can look to get 6/7 points from these games then we will probably sneak into the play-offs!

Ps, Saddlers fans, we need as many to turn out for games as possible, I know I will be encouraging my mates who haven't been for a while and I hope you can all do the same!

UTS!

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:31 pm

This is getting very real now boys!

When talk of challenging the top six began I looked at our fixtures and felt that the results against Swindon and Tranmere would make or break our season. I thought at the time that four points against them would put us within a real shout.

Dean, his staff and the players should be very proud of themselves and grasp this excellent fully deserved opportunity with both hands!

Super Saddlers vs. Tranmere Rovers

McCarey – 7. Looks mature beyond his years and growing with confidence with each game.

J.Chambers – 9. My MOTM. His reading of the game, confidence in possession and overall defending showed why he has spent his entire career in the top divisions of English football. Excellent challenge across their striker for what would have been a certain goal, double block in the second half and his determination to win the ball for Westcarr to smash home were the highlights for me. He still only looks 80% match fit. If he can continue his recovery and stays injury free will be a real asset for us.

Taylor - 8. Solid. Matt Sadler who?

Butler – 7. Typical performance from Skip. Not showy but very effective.

Downing – 8. I think this lad is class! His reading of the game from someone so young is superb. With the right guidance I believe Downing will be a top Championship centre-half within two or three years. Super sub Manny who?

A.Chambers – 7. Another very good effective performance. His consistency this season has been impeccable. Amazing what a good season he is having considering he was written off by many last season while playing the majority of the season injured!

Mantom – 7. His partnership with A.Chambers is really starting to blossom. My only slight concern with Mantom last night was that at times he seemed to step off the gas.

Brandy – 8. Won yet another penalty with his ability to find space and pace to burn. League One is now well aware of Mr Brandy and his realising ability.

Paterson – 7. Quiet game but at times looked dangerous.

Westcarr – 8. Class. Very close to MOTM. Looked to have plenty of fire in his belly and it showed in what was an excellent all round display topped off by ‘that’ goal!

Grigg – 7. Worked tirelessly and proved a real nuisance to both of Tranmere’s centre-halves. Another goal from the spot.

Subs:

Featherstone – 6. Little time but what he did he did well.

Attendance – Pathetic! Walsall fans and the people of Walsall now is the time to step up. The club, manager, backroom staff and players certainly have!!!!!
Anything sort of 5,000 on Saturday will be embarrassing.

Rockin robin

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:50 pm

Also never a penalty !

traymondo
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Rockin robin wrote:

Also never a penalty !

Swindon fan in "other clubs only win by cheating" shocker!

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Rockin robin wrote:

Also never a penalty !

Nice to see that fans from other clubs are in awe of what we are actually doing at the moment. Thanks for your obsession with the saddlers!

Rockin robin

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:15 pm

traymondo wrote:
Rockin robin wrote:

Also never a penalty !

No just saying you got a big decision at 0-0 In the game last night ! Not cheating just good fortune

traymondo
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Rockin robin wrote:
traymondo wrote:
Rockin robin wrote:

Also never a penalty !

No just saying you got a big decision at 0-0 In the game last night ! Not cheating just good fortune

Ah well, perhaps we are due a bit of good fortune.
What do they say, now...? It all evens out over the season? 8)

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:19 pm

We dicked them

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:45 pm

traymondo wrote:What do they say, now...? It all evens out over the season? 8)

Didn't we recently go almost 2 years without being awarded a penalty?
I'm not going to feel the slightest bit embarrassed that the Gods of Football are still evening up the score.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 pm

saddlerken wrote:We dicked them

That will do.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:01 pm

Can't stop looking at the League table.....we are so high up there, we're in 'nose bleed' territory! :lol: :lol: :lol:
How long has it been since we had so many 'wins', both home and away? just getting better and better, Brandy is a revelation, and Grigg (or his imitation lookie likee), just keeps on scoring...we even appear in the top scorers list for clip sake!
Please keep it up lads, looking forward to the Hartlepool & Scunny games which I will be attending, and hope, at long last, to make it to a home match again before the season is out!
Can an appearance at Wembley be on the cards? would truly make my life complete...come on me babbies!!!

UTS for ever.....

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Westcarr, who otherwise had turned in a hard-working but but very erratic display, redeemed himself with as good a goal as you will see all season but to make him man-of-the-match was, in my opinion, ridiculous.

Westcarr erratic? What game were you watching? CLUELESS!

His link up play with midfield and forwards was sublime, and his work-rate and defending was tireless, all topped off with a strike of pure brilliance. Clearly MOTM.

I was watching the game at Bescot Stadium, last night - furthermore, from a better vantage point than you, if you were in your usual position in the ASBO Stand Lower Tier. As I said, Westcarr worked very hard and gave 100% (as did his team-mates). However, his passing (a very important part of any player's game) was poor and his first touch let him down at times. Unlike some people on this board, I did not watch the game with any pre-conceived fixed ideas about Westcarr as I had only seen him a couple of times when he had come off the bench as substitute. I gave what I consider to be a fair and balanced assessment of his contribution. Certainly, he never hid and and always offered himself to receive the ball but his use of it when he got it frequently left a lot to be desired. Westcarr appears to have acquired the "urban myth" tag that others have in the past, such as "Macken - outstanding at hold-up play". In Westcarr's case, it's "he links up play well". Really??? I was sitting next to North Staffs Saddler and we made a point of focussing on Westcarr as Westcarr has been the subject of much debate on here. He will concur with what I have written, I am sure.

Just because my opinion does not coincide with yours, I can do without the gratuitous playground name-calling (CLUELESS). I expect that from certain posters but I expect better from you.

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Westcarr, who otherwise had turned in a hard-working but but very erratic display, redeemed himself with as good a goal as you will see all season but to make him man-of-the-match was, in my opinion, ridiculous.

His link up play with midfield and forwards was sublime, and his work-rate and defending was tireless, all topped off with a strike of pure brilliance. Clearly MOTM.

I was watching the game at Bescot Stadium, last night - furthermore, from a better vantage point than you, if you were in your usual position in the ASBO Stand Lower Tier. As I said, Westcarr worked very hard and gave 100% (as did his team-mates). However, his passing (a very important part of any player's game) was poor and his first touch let him down at times. Unlike some people on this board, I did not watch the game with any pre-conceived fixed ideas about Westcarr as I had only seen him a couple of times when he had come off the bench as substitute. I gave what I consider to be a fair and balanced assessment of his contribution. Certainly, he never hid and and always offered himself to receive the ball but his use of it when he got it frequently left a lot to be desired. Westcarr appears to have acquired the "urban myth" tag that others have in the past, such as "Macken - outstanding at hold-up play". In Westcarr's case, it's "he links up play well". Really??? I was sitting next to North Staffs Saddler and we made a point of focussing on Westcarr as Westcarr has been the subject of much debate on here. He will concur with what I have written, I am sure.

Just because my opinion does not coincide with yours, I can do without the gratuitous playground name-calling (CLUELESS). I expect that from certain posters but I expect better from you.

You are not alone in your opinion, we were discussing the very same during the match and I would liken his play to that of a shopping trolley, useful but a little wayward at times. His goal last night was certainly an eye-opener considering ALL his previous performances, it appears that his fine form is just that, fine at the moment but certainly not outstanding or 'essential to the team' as some might promote.

There are a number of posters who would appear to be over egging some of our squad players who are probably playing as well as they ever will - just saying :D

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Look at his turn and through ball he played against Shrewsbury which lead to Will Grigg's shot being turned off the line, if a player in the premiership did that they'd be raving about it. Just one example of his link up play.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 pm

Craig Westcarr arrived, and a few games in we went on this run. No coincidence. Will Grigg is also loving him, as his goal scoring streak points out.

Im quite suprised some football fans cant see what he does on the pitch. No one ever said he was "outstanding", just slotted into the team well and has become an integral part of it.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:27 pm

Cully wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

You are not alone in your opinion, we were discussing the very same during the match and I would liken his play to that of a shopping trolley, useful but a little wayward at times. His goal last night was certainly an eye-opener considering ALL his previous performances, it appears that his fine form is just that, fine at the moment but certainly not outstanding or 'essential to the team' as some might promote.

There are a number of posters who would appear to be over egging some of our squad players who are probably playing as well as they ever will - just saying :D

Pair od old codgers. Get your eyes tested. :D

As for the better vantage point, what a load of bollocks. The better vantage point, is higher up with a better view of the pitch, so you can see the whole picture. I understand you like the cosiness of the Wiltshire Farm Foods stand, and the soup at half time, however.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:28 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8 ... 0-tranmere

Im glad Chambers ducked for the second goal, it would have come sharp :lol:
Last edited by latviancheese on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:29 pm

ARROGANT! :mrgreen:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:48 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Cully wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

Pair od old codgers. Get your eyes tested. :D

As for the better vantage point, what a load of jacksons. The better vantage point, is higher up with a better view of the pitch, so you can see the whole picture. I understand you like the cosiness of the Wiltshire Farm Foods stand, and the soup at half time, however.

If the best view of the game was from the tile stand thats where the cameras would be sutuated,you cannot judge goalmouth action at the far end from there.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:12 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:We've lost three in four months.

that is fudge awesome

kevin
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:38 am

latviancheese wrote:Craig Westcarr arrived, and a few games in we went on this run. No coincidence. Will Grigg is also loving him, as his goal scoring streak points out.

Im quite suprised some football fans cant see what he does on the pitch. No one ever said he was "outstanding", just slotted into the team well and has become an integral part of it.

Excellent summing up.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 am

kevin wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Craig Westcarr arrived, and a few games in we went on this run. No coincidence. Will Grigg is also loving him, as his goal scoring streak points out.

Excellent summing up.

I agree.

Look what's happened to Villa since they got rid of Emile Heskey.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:11 am

Rockin robin wrote:

Also never a penalty !

Oh who cares! You wouldn't moan if it was you?

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:54 am

The Heskey analogy is a good one.

He always looked cack but whoever played off him always benefited.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:29 pm

kshammer wrote:The Heskey analogy is a good one.

Because people cant accept not all strikers score 20 goals a season.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:48 pm

I think Westcarr is a clever player. You don't notice him too much, but he seems to have a good 'football brain'.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:14 pm

latviancheese wrote:
kshammer wrote:The Heskey analogy is a good one.

Because people cant accept not all strikers score 20 goals a season.

Tis true.

I'd love to see Jabo in that role... he'd do it even better.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:31 pm

latviancheese wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8563348/walsall-2-0-tranmere

Im glad Chambers ducked for the second goal, it would have come sharp :lol:

In conclusion, Will Grigg needs a new goal celebration. :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season