Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers {H) League 1 Tuesday 12/3/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Tranmere Rovers {H) League 1 Tuesday 12/3/13.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:36 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
I'm not angry LC. I'm perfectly fine about it. I'm only bitter towards Bonser for taking my appetite away. I still do all the things I've always done as a fan of WFC, like come on here, buy our son his season ticket and shirts, actively listen to the results and will us to win. Only change is the lack of desire to actually attend.

Okay i understand that, but for a few games at the end of the year, surely Walsall FC is bigger than one man? The team can really push into the playoffs, its not even a bit of a joke anymore.

Just out of interest, what if, one day Bonser put a million quid in in transfer fees? Just a genuine question.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:39 pm

The Tranmere fan has been found on the wrong coach by the way, all ends well and can laugh about it.

UTS

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:42 pm

latviancheese wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
I'm not angry LC. I'm perfectly fine about it. I'm only bitter towards Bonser for taking my appetite away. I still do all the things I've always done as a fan of WFC, like come on here, buy our son his season ticket and shirts, actively listen to the results and will us to win. Only change is the lack of desire to actually attend.

Okay i understand that, but for a few games at the end of the year, surely Walsall FC is bigger than one man? The team can really push into the playoffs, its not even a bit of a joke anymore.

Just out of interest, what if, one day Bonser put a million quid in in transfer fees? Just a genuine question.

That would never happen.

If it did, I'd come back. That would go a little way to repairing the irreversible damage he has done to the club he is supposed to love

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:51 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

That would never happen.

If it did, I'd come back. That would go a little way to repairing the irreversible damage he has done to the club he is
supposed to love

If we go up then we will undoubtably struggle as Bonser will not take the risks he took last time. He will take the opportunity to take back some of the money the club owes him (galling I know). No problem for me, it's just the way it is.
If 10000 got their arses down the Bescot every other week it would be different, but they don't, so it ain't.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:55 pm

Another fantastic result and another three points. I thought the crowd would be below 4,000 tonight but expect over 4,500 Saddlers on Saturday or there is simply no justice - even if it is Crawley.

Incidentally, Yeovil, in the top 6, had an attendance of only 3,338 tonight - even if it was Crawley.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Another fantastic result and another three points. I thought the crowd would be below 4,000 tonight but expect over 4,500 Saddlers on Saturday or there is simply no justice - even if it is Crawley.

Incidentally, Yeovil, in the top 6, had an attendance of only 3,338 tonight - even if it was Crawley.

And Coventry had 9,431 at home to pigging Colchester :shock:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:03 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Another fantastic result and another three points. I thought the crowd would be below 4,000 tonight but expect over 4,500 Saddlers on Saturday or there is simply no justice - even if it is Crawley.

All brought their aunties and uncles out on a date no surprise there.

Rockin robin

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:07 am

Under 4k is shocking !

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:14 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Not a fair comparison, IMO. Anyway, It is a poor attendance for them given their recent history etc.

Less than 3,300 Saddlers is not great, but our attendances on Tuesday are always lower than average, as it is for most clubs. Given we were struggling to get 3,000 'home' supporters at the start of the season at weekends it was too much to ask for a much better attendance tonight, despite our good form. I expect a much better crowd on Saturday and would hope that we can get around 4,500 of our own fans there against Crawley. Even if Bonser does not deserve it, the team and management do.

Win on Saturday and follow it up with good results at Hartlepool and Yeovil and we could get 6,000 Saddlers for the matches against Coventry and Sheffield United. They are out there somewhere.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:15 am

Rockin robin wrote:

Under 4k is shocking !

And 8,000 for Swindon is shocking when you consider the size of the town, catchment area and lack of competition from other clubs.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:36 am

Rockin robin wrote:

Under 4k is shocking !

At least they aint all ginger, and fingering their own dads.

kevin
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:41 am

Rockin robin wrote:Did I hear you lot had another dodgy penalty ? Unbelievable !

Yes.................and a gentle reminder , NEXT time , can you lot clap Febian Brandy off please ?

It IS, after all .......... common courtesy in this division!!!!
Last edited by kevin on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rockin robin

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:44 am

latviancheese wrote:
Rockin robin wrote:

Under 4k is shocking !

At least they aint all ginger, and fingering their own dads.

looks like youve had a good education !!

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:16 am

chestersaddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

That would never happen.

If it did, I'd come back. That would go a little way to repairing the irreversible damage he has done to the club he is
supposed to love

If we go up then we will undoubtably struggle as Bonser will not take the risks he took last time. He will take the opportunity to take back some of the money the club owes him (galling I know). No problem for me, it's just the way it is.
If 10000 got their bum down the Bescot every other week it would be different, but they don't, so it ain't.

The difference in divisional (TV) money in the Championship compared to L1 at this moment in time is massive compared to last time. Makes a much more level playing field, with much less risk. Uncle Jeff is welcome to take back his loans, sooner rather than later, as it helps clear the decks for anyone new.

I have problems trying to to interpret the "reversing irrepairable damage" comment, by the way. :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:29 am

Pedagogue wrote:A very impressive performance tonight against a strong Tranmere side. Indeed, the plastic Scousers were the better team during the opening twenty minutes or so. However, once we settled down and weathered their early storm, there was only going to be one winner. The Tranmere team appeared to be recruited from the Land of the Giants, apart from Abdulai Bell-Baggie (superb name! :D ). Needless to say, being small, quick and skilful, he didn't last the full 90 minutes, and was subbed off to be replaced by another big 'un (where do you get them from, Ronnie?).

Brandy tormented them all evening with the visiting fans constantly claiming that he was diving (he dived once - which is once too often, in my opinion). The truth was that their Neanderthal defenders couldn't handle him. I do not know why Holmes was not sent off for the penalty as it was clearly denying a goalscoring opportunity. Westcarr, who otherwise had turned in a hard-working but but very erratic display, redeemed himself with as good a goal as you will see all season but to make him man-of-the-match was, in my opinion, ridiculous. He got cautioned for constantly gobbing off at the referee. I'd fine him for that, if I were Dean Smith.

On the subject of hard work, it is that which impresses me most - forwards tackling back and defenders pressing forward. The whole team work ethic is outstanding. Players who caught my eye were Taylor and the Chambers twins. I thought that the latter had just joined us for a final payday in the twilight of their careers but their current form has been a revelation. Taylor was a risk, in view of his injury record, but since I saw him make his début at Queens Park Rangers, he has developed into a top-class player.

We have a difficult fixture run-in but can we do it? I'm confident! :D

Westcarr erratic? What game were you watching? CLUELESS!

His link up play with midfield and forwards was sublime, and his workrate and defending was tireless, all topped off with a strike of pure brilliance. Clearly MOTM.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:37 am

Perhaps he meant erotic?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:43 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Perhaps he meant erotic?

:D In that case, I agree. I had a stonker when he hit that shot.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:05 am

I personally thought James chambers was MOTM. Although his distribution was pretty poor, I thought his defensive work was top class. One block in the first half springs to mind.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:10 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:I personally thought James chambers was MOTM. Although his distribution was pretty poor, I thought his defensive work was top class. One block in the first half springs to mind.

He was second for me. Played very well against the best winger we've faced this season, Ball Bag.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:16 am

Exile wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

That would never happen.

supposed to love

If 10000 got their bum down the Bescot every other week it would be different, but they don't, so it ain't.

The difference in divisional (TV) money in the Championship compared to L1 at this moment in time is massive compared to last time. Makes a much more level playing field, with much less risk. Uncle Jeff is welcome to take back his loans, sooner rather than later, as it helps clear the decks for anyone new.

I have problems trying to to interpret the "reversing irrepairable damage" comment, by the way. :wink:

The irreversable damage, is the years and years of constantly treating fans like cack. Namely due to Bonser and Whalley and they're stubborn ways. Just cos we are having a purple patch, why do you think fans would just come flooding back?

Things may be improving slightly behind the scenes, but I haven't seen any real evidence of changing their ways apart from a couple of two year contracts signed.

Oooooh, let's all cream our y-fronts

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 am

swiftyboy wrote:The irreversable damage, is the years and years of constantly treating fans like cack. Namely due to Bonser and Whalley and they're stubborn ways. Just cos we are having a purple patch, why do you think fans would just come flooding back?

Things may be improving slightly behind the scenes, but I haven't seen any real evidence of changing their ways apart from a couple of two year contracts signed.

Oooooh, let's all cream our y-fronts

Do you bore yourself as you type it?

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:50 am

kevin wrote:
Rockin robin wrote:Did I hear you lot had another dodgy penalty ? Unbelievable !

Yes.................and a gentle reminder , NEXT time , can you lot clap Febian Brandy off please ?

It IS, after all .......... common courtesy in this division!!!!

:lol:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 am

swiftyboy wrote:
kshammer wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:He said "No beggars here, massive lady garden of a town". :D

Or words to that effect

Ar, summat like that. Baffles me that we can only get just over 3000 home fans through the gate with what's going on and the football being played. No chance of keeping decent players with no money coming in.

It's eartha.

They're winning and doing it playing superb stuff.

If the people of Walsall don't get behind em now they never will.

Bull cack. If people feel like me, then they are now so sick of having the carrot dangled, and then taken away that they refuse to believe that it won't happen again

Thought you stayed away because the Whalley Man banned you . If your referring to the fact that Grigg and Brandy may leave they have been made offers. If you and others stopped sulking over the Dann/Fox sale maybe we could offer more money to players and compete with other clubs. Did you go last night ? You posted on Saturday your was thinking about it.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:20 am

swiftyboy wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Its like saying you will never ever ever go to Tesco again, but when your starving, you would rather starve than go there.

Waste of life being that angry.

You can only be so angry for so long ,it eats you up, you eventually have to make a choice.

Obviously, family is a major factor too. Now I work full time as an employee, instead of being self employed as i was for so long when i could do as i pleased, my evenings and weekends are now far more important. Even more so when I'm out gigging, it leaves even less spare time.

I'm just putting a few things straight for once as it's stupid for me to portray Bonser and the clubs previous actions as my only reason for staying away

Ah, so it was all smoke and mirrors after all. You just got fed up. No problem many people do but they don't usually make a song and dance about it to justify their decision. You need to relax a bit.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:32 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Westcarr erratic? What game were you watching? CLUELESS!

His link up play with midfield and forwards was sublime, and his workrate and defending was tireless, all topped off with a strike of pure brilliance. Clearly MOTM.

Westcarr was the difference last night. They just couldn't mark him in that space between their centre halves and midfield.

He won't get too many plaudits for what looked like a quiet game on the face of things, but Paterson's tracking and defensive work last night was as good as I've seen from him. He might not have created much, but when you hassle defenders and keep your shape like he did, you can at least keep the ball in the opposition's half.

James Chambers was a rock at the back too. One goal-saving block in each half if memory serves.

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:17 am

Another great team performance. First twenty mins or so we struggled a bit with their long ball game. As soon as we figured this out we always looked the stronger team. Again our defence protected the goalkeeper superbly, most notable was the last ditch tackle by J Chambers in the first half. Credit must also go to the six played in front of the back four who chased everything down and battled for each other. It's refreshing to see that all the players get on.

On the Westcarr debate, for me he was outstanding. Yes he gave the ball away a few times and didn't win many headers, but his link up play is tremendous, and is vital to us for bringing our match winners into play. He played the ball of the match across the six yard box near the end. If someone would have the presence, or legs to get on the end of it, it would have been one of the best team goals seen here for years.

Also a note on Tranmere, they were up there with the worst teams I've seen down here all season. Aimless long balls played to two big lumps up front. It's great to see us beating teams like this playing "sexy football"

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:00 am

saddler_nic wrote:Another great team performance. First twenty mins or so we struggled a bit with their long ball game. As soon as we figured this out we always looked the stronger team. Again our defence protected the goalkeeper superbly, most notable was the last ditch tackle by J Chambers in the first half. Credit must also go to the six played in front of the back four who chased everything down and battled for each other. It's refreshing to see that all the players get on.

On the Westcarr debate, for me he was outstanding. Yes he gave the ball away a few times and didn't win many headers, but his link up play is tremendous, and is vital to us for bringing our match winners into play. He played the ball of the match across the six yard box near the end. If someone would have the presence, or legs to get on the end of it, it would have been one of the best team goals seen here for years.

Also a note on Tranmere, they were up there with the worst teams I've seen down here all season. Aimless long balls played to two big lumps up front. It's great to see us beating teams like this playing "sexy football"

Agree with your first 2 paragraphs and we really do look like a team. Can't remember when we have stuck with an unchanged 11 for this long either and have as much quality to bring off the bench when we need to. Confidence throughout the side. Taylor, Westcarr and the Chambers twins were awesome in particular.

However I disagree with your last point. I thought Tranmere in the first half were one of the best sides we have played this season. They had pace and agility upfront (I would single out their No 12 who looked a real threat) and came right at us from the off. After Westcarr's goal they were down and out but up til then I haven't seen many better sides at Bescot this season.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:07 am

I think because they played with quite direct tactics (which is probably inevitable with the likes of Sidibe in their team) it masks their quality a bit. Their touch and work rate was excellent at times so to say they weren't a good team is a little unfair.

Walsall just played really well.

ws3
Glitterati

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:15 am

Super Gabor wrote:
saddler_nic wrote:Another great team performance. First twenty mins or so we struggled a bit with their long ball game. As soon as we figured this out we always looked the stronger team. Again our defence protected the goalkeeper superbly, most notable was the last ditch tackle by J Chambers in the first half. Credit must also go to the six played in front of the back four who chased everything down and battled for each other. It's refreshing to see that all the players get on.

Agree with your first 2 paragraphs and we really do look like a team. Can't remember when we have stuck with an unchanged 11 for this long either and have as much quality to bring off the bench when we need to. Confidence throughout the side. Taylor, Westcarr and the Chambers twins were awesome in particular.

However I disagree with your last point. I thought Tranmere in the first half were one of the best sides we have played this season. They had pace and agility upfront (I would single out their No 12 who looked a real threat) and came right at us from the off. After Westcarr's goal they were down and out but up til then I haven't seen many better sides at Bescot this season.

I think Whitney should take the credit for some of this. Fitness really doesn't seem to be a problem which makes team selection that much easier.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:22 am

ws3 wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:

I think Whitney should take the credit for some of this. Fitness really doesn't seem to be a problem which makes team selection that much easier.

Was listening to Radio WM before I parked up last night and some of the recorded interviews with Butler, Paterson and Grigg were giving good recognition to Whitney's role and the impact on their fitness levels. Very encouraging how our energy levels look high even in the last 10-20 minutes of a game.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season