Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League 1 Saturday 9/3/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Swindon Town (A) League 1 Saturday 9/3/13.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:50 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:A great result in the end. Ticket purchased for Tuesday.

I look forward to the match reports from those who went today.

Whichever way ya dress it up..it was just a great result to come away from Swindon with a point! just gets better an better!
Roll on Hartlepool...the next match I can get too...can't wait...then on to Scunny, by then we will be bangin on Wembley's doors..I hope... :D :D :D :D :D :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Shows great character to come back and draw after falling behind twice. Can't knock it, well done the lads. :)

Kearns and co-commentator on Saddlers World claimed we should have had a nailed-on penalty before Swindon got their 2nd, so it'll be interesting to hear about that from those who were at the match.

Great result, praise all round!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Great stuff from Walsall today. Both teams struggled to settle and we came closest through a header before Swindon scored through a wicked deflection. Walsall pressed for an equaliser and deservedly equalised although not sure about the pen myself. We continued to press but could not find another.

Swindon edged it for me in the second. But were often lacking in the final third. Their goal was absurd. Mccarey shouldbhave pushed the ball around the post from a non chance but instead pulled it in towards himself and let go. The ball squirmed out of his grip and right in front of the goal (duly buried). Walsall went for it after this and should have drawn level when their kweper mishandled an easy catch to Grigg 5 yards out who slammed it over the bar. However the eager (I know)but perhaps tikid Hemmings crossed sweetly for the otherwise below par Patterson - cracking
Great support by us today. MOM would be Butler for me who dealt with all potential threats like a beast. Note to the ref. Useless.
Last edited by Soton Saddler on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:05 pm

On route back.....

It was wana those ones where a Swindon fan would say they deserved to win and a Saddler would say we deserved a draw.

You can see why there up there, there not a bad team.

Were we outclassed ? No

Did we deserve a draw? IMHO yes!

If we do sneak into 6th for the play offs its highly likly we'll face swindon in the double header. If we carry on like this until the end of season im very confident we'll brush them aside over 2 legs!

Up The Saddlers!

Rockin robin

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Another dodgy penalty ! Would like to see it again as I though it was very harsh ! The cider I've just drunk didn't taste good after those 2 dropped points !

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Rockin robin wrote:Another dodgy penalty ! Would like to see it again as I though it was very harsh ! The cider I've just drunk didn't taste good after those 2 dropped points !

oi robin how bout the peno we should of had second half, not out fault your defenders cant handle of pacey forwards

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:54 pm

Rockin robin wrote:Another dodgy penalty ! Would like to see it again as I though it was very harsh ! The cider I've just drunk didn't taste good after those 2 dropped points !

You've got a playing budget 4-5 times ours and here you are blaming the ref. Oh dear.

See you in the playoffs.

traymondo
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Mmmmm, the beer I'm drinking tastes so SWEET tonight, not bitter at all, mmmmmmmm....

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:07 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

You've got a playing budget 4-5 times ours and here you are blaming the ref. Oh dear.

See you in the playoffs.

Correction, Rob: They've got a playing budget about the same size as ours, but they've spent 4-5 times as much as we have.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:17 pm

King Crimson wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

See you in the playoffs.

Correction, Rob: They've got a playing budget about the same size as ours, but they've spent 4-5 times as much as we have.

Ah yes, of course. My mistake.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Paterson was shockingly poor day, same against Stevenage - but both times he makes up for it with important goals. Great supports from us, kept signing throughout whilst Swindon only sang once when they scored their second.

I also would of given McCarey a proper hammering if not for Hemmings delightful cross and Patos "buller header" (As described by their Radio station, who also said they should be beating sides like Walsall.) He did put his hands up at the end when we gave them a standing ovation as an apology, so credit to him for recognizing his complete fudge up.

UTS!
Last edited by JonnyOwen on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Absolutely cracking game between two good teams worthy of play-off status. The ability to come back twice against a team like Swindon shows some serious character. Their second goal was calamitous from McCarey, god only knows what he was doing but our 2nd goal was a cracker, brilliant cross from Hemmings - who I thought looked lively when he came on, and a clinical header from Pato (who had a shocking game other than the goal - but that's the type of player he is!!). On another day we might have nicked it as we had some pretty good chances but more than happy with a point and feel we can beat Tranmere on Tuesday. Only 480 saddlers there which was poor IMO but the noise levels were still very good. Overall, a very very decent point.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:28 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Paterson was shockingly poor day, same against Stevenage - but both times he makes up for it with important goals.

They call them "matchwinners".

:)

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:09 pm

It was just deserved point today. Paterson’s goal the only goal of any quality. Swindon’s goals came from a lucky deflection and then a howler from McCarey as he fumbled a shot that was going wide and presented it to the Swindon player. Grigg’s goal was, of course, a penalty after Brandy had been tripped.

Swindon are a good team. Well organised and keep possession well. But so are we, and although Swindon got on top in the second half they didn’t create a notable chance until McCarey’s howler.

When Brandy was taken off for Hemmings in the 82nd minute, I thought our chance had gone, but, what do I know. Hemmings skinned the full-back late on and waited and waited for Paterson to arrive then delivered the best cross of the game for Paterson to head home. You beauty!

Butler gets my nod as man of the match. You need leaders in games like this and he stood out today. When we were under pressure just before half-time he ran 30 yards to win one header and give us relief.

Downing was composed. The Chambers’ twins did well. Adam, in particular, kept scrapping against a physically imposing team. As did Mantom.

We were not as creative as we have been. Taylor hardly got forward at all. Grigg worked hard but fed off scraps. Brandy was too deep to do any damage apart from winning the penalty. Westcarr linked up play well but his shooting was on a par with Ian Roper’s.

Paterson? He was muscled out of it for most of the game but he never gave up. That is why he was there at the end to bag us a share of the points. An amazing end to an amazing game.
Last edited by TheGilbertAlsop on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:14 pm

I don't even think the shot for their second goal was actually on target and going in!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Great point today and a very deserved one. We battled very hard to get it and showed a lot of character [and style] along the way to come back twice against a decent side.

The foul on Grigg was a 'nailed on' penalty in the second half but we should always play to the whistle, and failed to do so. This referee was never going to give us a second penalty and made some odd decisions throughout the match, to the chagrin of both sets of fans.

I thought it was Paterson that blazed over when their keeper misdhandled the simple catch, but I might be wrong. I would not say that Paterson was poor, but he was certainly wasteful at times, although I will forgive him for his equaliser :D, a bullet header from about 8 yards from a Hemmings cross [who had a good 5 minute cameo IMO. hopefully more to come from him].

Although the home side had a lot of possession I thought that we countered quickly and with intelligence and the back line defended well. James Chambers was often exposed and perhaps slightly off pace but Brandy, for all his qualities, did not offer much cover on the right handside and this caused us problems, particularly in the first half.

MOTM? Adam Chambers was excellent and I thought Westcarr was very effective linking up play. Swindon's defence did not like our pace and we perhaps could have exploited it more and at times gave them a bit too much respect, playing far too deep at the start of the second half in particular. Overall, no one played badly and all put a 'shift' in. The spirit and character is excellent and in terms of attacking football this is as good a Walsall side as I have seen.

Swindon? Decent enough, but then they should be when you consider how much it cost to put together. I would not swap any of them for our side today.

Less than 500 Saddlers was a disappointment, but it certainly sounded more than that, particularly when we made it 2-2 :D :D .

UP THE SADDLERS
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:42 pm

cack following in numbers then, good noise anyway, good point.

I'm off down Walsall for a piss up. xxx

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:48 pm

We cost fudge all, and we're taking the piss!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:56 pm

With all the money you have spent, you would think it would have bought a couple of decent centre backs. The number 4 did a good impression of a donkey throughout.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Less than 500 Saddlers? Says who? A blind man? 800ish at least, I'd have said.

Excellent result, but I can help feeling disappointed as we weren't at our best today. If Paterson and Brandy would have been on form, we'd have tatered em. As it was Paterson had a shocker, but played his get out of jail card. Excellent ball from Hemmings.

It was a nailed on pen in the second half, Grigg was clearly being dragged away from simple header 6 yards out. As already said though, the ref was never going to give two to the away team.

Two home wins now required.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:03 pm

BathSaddler wrote:

With all the money you have spent, you would think it would have bought a couple of decent centre backs. The number 4 did a good impression of a donkey throughout.

He was awful. We should have tested him more, especially Brandy.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:03 pm

We said this coming out all that money spent and what did they get an average walsall team. Not the real thing, but a close replica.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Great point and a performance that illustrated we are a well rounded team. Some good attacking play in the first half, end to end with Taylor looking superb down the left and Brandy/Westcarr missing a couple of good openings. Swindon passed it well and were organised themselves, but we matched them in every department. Second half was a different story, we couldnt utilise our attacking players like we have in recent weeks but remained well drilled, retained a great shape and defended really well. Swindon's goals were extremely jammy, one a deflection of Butler and the second goal a 1mph dribbling shot going a yard or so wide that McCarrey could have put his foot on and then kicked away, instead he let it squirm from his body to Simon Ferry who had an open goal from 2 yards.

Felt a little bit like it wasn't going to be our day as we got forward numerous times the ball just wouldnt bounce our way or get stuck under our feet, but late on Hemmings broke away down the left waited for Paterson to drift into the area and delivered a perfect cross that Paterson nailed back in the direction it came from. Great scenes in the away end.

Good atmosphere from us, garbage from them - not even a peep until they scored the second goal. Normally quite a good atmosphere down there to.

Butler was superb, real captains performance - the defence excellent. Taylor 2nd for MOTM, covers every blade, is defensively sound and is a great assett up that left side attacking. However my MOTM and one of our most improved players in recent times, Adam Chambers. Tackles, passes, runs, covers every blade, gets stuck in, drives forward, sits, holds. Really has been exceptional the last couple of months or so and today it looked like he was single handedly stopping there 4 midfielders on his own. Brillant performance and well worth another year.

Paterson had one of thoose afternoons that your not sure whether you love him or never want to see him wear the shirt again. Lost possession so many times and didn't beat his man once, but popped up with a beautiful late header. We've not had a player like that in a long time but something tells me he'l mature to be a top end championship winger one day.

Still in with a shout, 4 points at least this week required though.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Less than 500 Saddlers? Says who? A blind man? 800ish at least, I'd have said.

Excellent result, but I can help feeling disappointed as we weren't at our best today. If Paterson and Brandy would have been on form, we'd have tatered em. As it was Paterson had a shocker, but played his get out of jail card. Excellent ball from Hemmings.

It was a nailed on pen in the second half, Grigg was clearly being dragged away from simple header 6 yards out. As already said though, the ref was never going to give two to the away team.

Two home wins now required.

It was announced on the tannoy in the last 10 minutes - I could not get the exact number but it was 400 and then some. Cue howls of derision from the home supporters, not that there was much of that when we equalised a few minutes later :D :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Bullshit on the tannoy. That section holds 1000 and it was at least three quarters full. It's about 25 rows deep x 40 seats wide. Maths can't be their strong point.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:22 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:I don't even think the shot for their second goal was actually on target and going in!

i think the exact same thing, makes it even worse, i dont know if people noticed but even in the first half, mcarey sturggled to dive and retain the ball in one movement this happened 2 or 3 times in the first half, it was a sickner.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:32 pm

An excellent game between two sides who for the most part tried to play intelligent football. It should also be mentioned that the pitch quality helped in this respect - you could almost have played cricket on it.

Swindon scored two goals - the first was a sheer fluke because of the deflection to beat all deflections, no defender had any chance of getting to it. The second goal was a gift from Mccarey, who dived down low to his left to save a shot which was actually going out for a goal kick. He didn't take it cleanly and gave a simple tap-in - this exposes a weakness in his positional play, as a goalkeeper should always have a clear idea of where the object is that he's protecting.

After their first goal, Swindon did sit back a bit allowing Brandy in particular some freedom to attack, and on one of his solo forays he was blatantly tripped. Ibragriggovic tucked the penalty away neatly, although I think their keeper almost got to it.
Swindon's second goal was scored with only about 10 minutes left, and I guess most of us thought "Well, that's it" (that was certainly my reaction). Not so Dean Smith who brought Brandy off (tired legs?) and introduced Hemmings, who immediately set his stall out by making a couple of speedy runs down the left wing. The pressure was all on Swindon at this point, and in the 90th minute (bless!!) Hemmings played some one-touch passes down that wing again and crossed perfectly for Paterson to head home. This was right in front of the away supporters' enclosure, and was jolly well well received!!!

Grigg worked his socks off, but wasn't in top form as far as jumping for headers was concerned, I can only remember him winning four or five all afternoon. He did chase down back-passes though, and the Swindon keeper was certainly troubled on a few occasions.

Paterson was irritating for most of the game, trying fancy stuff that never quite came off, shooting from the most improbable positions and so on. But he was worth it because of that goal - do watch out for it on the highlights.

Butler was a tower of strength in defence, also coming forward for corners and free kicks to add the worry factor. Taylor and Downing fitted in well, and as has been said already, everyone put a shift in. My M.o.M. would be Butler.

Going behind twice in the game (especially with only 10 minutes to play) to level matters both times is an enormous test of a team's character. I'm sure that in the days of Merson and Hutchings, heads would definitely have dropped - there was absolutely no sign of that today.

All in all, a thoroughly entertaining afternoon. If we carry on playing to that standard, anything's possible.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:37 pm

About time Gashley did summat right.

They just wont give in will they. 8)

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:45 pm

latviancheese wrote:About time Gashley did summat right.

We said in the car on the way up that ashley really could add something to this team, as soon as he come on you could see that he had the desire to do well.

i think that speaks volumes about the team and the manager. if the person who is the rotten egg/big ego of the team can get 5 minutes of a almost lost cause and give it his all and produce quality. excellent news for everyone at walsall fc.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:48 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:About time Gashley did summat right.

We said in the car on the way up that ashley really could add something to this team, as soon as he come on you could see that he had the desire to do well.

i think that speaks volumes about the team and the manager. if the person who is the rotten egg/big ego of the team can get 5 minutes of a almost lost cause and give it his all and produce quality. excellent news for everyone at walsall fc.

Nothing like the sniff of promotion(bonus) to buck players ideas up :) :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season