Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League 1 Saturday 9/3/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Swindon Town (A) League 1 Saturday 9/3/13.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Great result. Well done Walsall!

saddler_nic
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:05 pm

It shows how far we've come to feel a bit disappointed coming away from third in the league with a point. A combination of better luck at our end and better decision making/finishing at theirs would have led to us bringing three points back.

Although they put us under pressure in the second half, we didn't look like conceding. I can't remember them creating a single chance. Not once did they thread a ball through in behind, and we always looked likely to win the ariel contest which we did. On the whole though, it was a fantastic away performance and we can be proud of every single player wearing the shirt today.

Special mention for Butler, Downing, both of whom were excellent, Adam Chambers who hardly put a foot wrong, and Westcarr, who was our best player in the first half. Peach of a ball in from Hemmings for the goal, lets hope he can really push on now. Well done to everyone today, players were brilliant, as we're the fans. We put blue coat to shame!!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:29 pm

saddler_nic wrote:It shows how far we've come to feel a bit disappointed coming away from third in the league with a point. A combination of better luck at our end and better decision making/finishing at theirs would have led to us bringing three points back.

Although they put us under pressure in the second half, we didn't look like conceding. I can't remember them creating a single chance. Not once did they thread a ball through in behind, and we always looked likely to win the ariel contest which we did. On the whole though, it was a fantastic away performance and we can be proud of every single player wearing the shirt today.

Special mention for Butler, Downing, both of whom were excellent, Adam Chambers who hardly put a foot wrong, and Westcarr, who was our best player in the first half. Peach of a ball in from Hemmings for the goal, lets hope he can really push on now. Well done to everyone today, players were brilliant, as we're the fans. We put blue coat to shame!!

About how I saw it. Chambers was immense.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 pm

swiftyboy wrote:Mmmmmm very tempted for Tuesday now......

:D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:29 am

Brilliant! UTS! :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:00 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:eartha on the tannoy. That section holds 1000 and it was at least three quarters full. It's about 25 rows deep x 40 seats wide. Maths can't be their strong point.

Hmm. There weren't cash turnstiles were there? :idea:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:32 am

King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:eartha on the tannoy. That section holds 1000 and it was at least three quarters full. It's about 25 rows deep x 40 seats wide. Maths can't be their strong point.

What are you suggesting? Surely Swindon are squeaky clean with no pending financial problems?

Oh, wait...

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 am

Exile wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

What are you suggesting? Surely Swindon are squeaky clean with no pending financial problems?

Oh, wait...

Paid cash and got a ticket, but a club as experienced in financial irregularity as Swindon should easily find a way around that.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:25 am

Fantastic effort from the lads! After a tough 24 hrs for me and the mrs when that equaliser flashed up on tv I jumped right out of my seat!!!! It put a smile back on my face . Funny how Walsall FC can break your heart at times but also give you the best feeling in the world. Love our football club :D
Up the Saddlers forever !!!!!!!

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:50 am

Very enjoyable day out and a good confident performance from the team. Not sure why Butler has been flagged up as having an outstanding game, I think he is a weakness in the back four in terms of skill, a very average centre half. We all know that his effort cannot be faulted but he is frequently turned and gives far too much space to his opponents. Swindon had some very mobile forwards and if they study the game yesterday then a few more direct balls would have caught out our ponderous centre half's. On a very positive note I have been delighted with the form of Adam Chambers over the past ten games, his contributions [at last after 18 months of below average dross] were vital in gaining our point yesterday, well done and keep it up :D
There were 481 away fans yesterday which looked about right, plenty of spare seats all around the stand apart from a group of fans huddled together near the back. No conspiracy theories or pretending to count seat please just poor [numbers] away support as usual for an important game which I hope will increase if we continue our surprising upturn in form since the Colchester game and featured for the first time the now nearly famous 'lucky burgundy jumper'.

Nice couple of pints of 'Arkles' bitter in the cricket club and some out of date scratchings [free] also helped the day.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:00 am

A result that keeps the belief going, especially when you think of all the collapses we had to witness earlier in the season!

Tuesday's game is huge, beat Tranmere and we are real contenders. I bet Jamie Patterson won't score many more headers in his career, it was a cracking goal though!

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Some good reports of the match on here. Thanks to all. :D

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:36 pm

latviancheese wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:About time Gashley did summat right.

They just wont give in will they. 8)

We said in the car on the way up that ashley really could add something to this team, as soon as he come on you could see that he had the desire to do well.

i think that speaks volumes about the team and the manager. if the person who is the rotten egg/big ego of the team can get 5 minutes of a almost lost cause and give it his all and produce quality. excellent news for everyone at walsall fc.

Nothing like the sniff of promotion(bonus) to buck players ideas up :) :lol:

I bet Jeef is offering a bigger bonus for finishing 7th than for promotion :mrgreen:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Exile wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Oh, wait...

Paid cash and got a ticket, but a club as experienced in financial irregularity as Swindon should easily find a way around that.

Even if unsold tickets are audited, they could easily reprint a couple of hundred of those that were sold.

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:32 pm

We spent lunchtime and a post-match curry with a group STFC fans we have met through going to England games and they were grateful to "get two goals without actually having a meaningful shot on target". I think that about sums up how dominant our defence was throughout the game.

As for our attacking, both Paterson and Westcarr should hold their heads in shame at their wayward finishing, but what stands out again for me was how this group of players simply never give up. I was giving Deano dogs abuse for leaving Paterson on and introducing Hemmings instead of Baxendale; how wrong I was :D. With regard to the blatant Grigg penalty that wasn't given, I don't know why people were surprised. Brandy was barged over on the halfway line and no foul was given; within 5 seconds, Butler made an identical challenge and was booked! One thing that the poor refereeing display did highlight though was just how well drilled Deano has the team with regard to dissent (our Captain excepted :oops: ). Just before Brandy was taken off, he won a clear throw in by their corner flag that the ref converted to a free kick to Swindon by inventing some phantom offence; Brandy just trooped away and got on with it. This concentration on the game instead of poor officialdom is now at the level we had under Sir Ray and IMHO is a key factor on just how well we are playing and in particular the ability to score late on. Many teams lose focus; right now we don't. Well done Deano.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:29 pm

PeruSaddler wrote:We spent lunchtime and a post-match curry with a group STFC fans we have met through going to England games and they were grateful to "get two goals without actually having a meaningful shot on target". I think that about sums up how dominant our defence was throughout the game.

As for our attacking, both Paterson and Westcarr should hold their heads in shame at their wayward finishing, but what stands out again for me was how this group of players simply never give up. I was giving Deano dogs abuse for leaving Paterson on and introducing Hemmings instead of Baxendale; how wrong I was :D. With regard to the blatant Grigg penalty that wasn't given, I don't know why people were surprised. Brandy was barged over on the halfway line and no foul was given; within 5 seconds, Butler made an identical challenge and was booked! One thing that the poor refereeing display did highlight though was just how well drilled Deano has the team with regard to dissent (our Captain excepted :oops: ). Just before Brandy was taken off, he won a clear throw in by their corner flag that the ref converted to a free kick to Swindon by inventing some phantom offence; Brandy just trooped away and got on with it. This concentration on the game instead of poor officialdom is now at the level we had under Sir Ray and IMHO is a key factor on just how well we are playing and in particular the ability to score late on. Many teams lose focus; right now we don't. Well done Deano.

No one needs to hang their heads in shame, not even the keeper. Every player is giving their all for the team, if they didnt make mistakes they wouldn't be playing at this level.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:38 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
PeruSaddler wrote:We spent lunchtime and a post-match curry with a group STFC fans we have met through going to England games and they were grateful to "get two goals without actually having a meaningful shot on target". I think that about sums up how dominant our defence was throughout the game.

No one needs to hang their heads in shame, not even the keeper. Every player is giving their all for the team, if they didnt make mistakes they wouldn't be playing at this level.

i thought Westcarr did okay, Pato saved himself big time with the goal, he appeared very lightwieght, and at times lost concentration because of looking to the ref for a foul. it is lovely keeping the happy thought of "were fudge awesome, something will happen" even at 2-1 down

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:05 pm

ChopperWFC wrote:Fantastic effort from the lads! After a tough 24 hrs for me and the mrs when that equaliser flashed up on tv I jumped right out of my seat!!!! It put a smile back on my face . Funny how Walsall FC can break your heart at times but also give you the best feeling in the world. Love our football club :D
Up the Saddlers forever !!!!!!!

too right mate,like friggin kids

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:33 pm

chestersaddler wrote:No one needs to hang their heads in shame, not even the keeper. Every player is giving their all for the team, if they didnt make mistakes they wouldn't be playing at this level.

Exactly - A+ for effort is all we ask*. UTS!

* and clean sheets, lots of goals, points and promotion on a shoestring :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Exile wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:No one needs to hang their heads in shame, not even the keeper. Every player is giving their all for the team, if they didnt make mistakes they wouldn't be playing at this level.

And chips.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:54 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Exile wrote:

And chips.

That is just greedy.

bilko

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 am

For those of you Walsall fans who thought you should have got more than one point are i think a bit deluded. We didnt play well and ithought we made it easy for you to defend as normally we have two wide players but we played into your hands.
I though the antics of your players feigning injury and diving was pathetic and time wasting but the really poor ref let your players get away with it.
A disappointing game i thought the first 25 minutes we totally dominated and dominated the second half but we didnt create enough and your only chance of the second half you scored from.

Anyway you always seem to do well at our place but hey weve taken four points of you this season when really it should have been 6.

Any way good luck for the rest of the season.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

It really shouldn't of been 6 points from us, you hardly troubled our defence and only managed to get a goal when we gifted you them.

Also, fudge that guy in the blue top.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am

bilko wrote:For those of you Walsall fans who thought you should have got more than one point are i think a bit deluded. We didnt play well and ithought we made it easy for you to defend as normally we have two wide players but we played into your hands.
I though the antics of your players feigning injury and diving was pathetic and time wasting but the really poor ref let your players get away with it.
A disappointing game i thought the first 25 minutes we totally dominated and dominated the second half but we didnt create enough and your only chance of the second half you scored from.

Anyway you always seem to do well at our place but hey weve taken four points of you this season when really it should have been 6.

bias ay :)

i think in the first half we carved out two very good chances, brandys unmarked header and westcarr surely ad to make the keeper work as it opened up for him, we got behind your full backs quite well first half but the final ball was awful on a couple of occassions, first half was ours, your goal was so so lucky but thats football.

second half you kept the ball well as you did in the first but yet again you never made us worry, if anything we caused more dangerous problems second half then yourselves, your deffender making an excellent recovery takcle as he was about to be lef ton the floor with grigg on goal and also grigg getting pulled down in the box.

you guys got two very fortunate goals, take that out the equation then you find yourselves with a team who just pass and pass and concede, i would be depressed at the sight of things form your perspective, you have players who think there worth x amount a week yet they get made to look very average and harmless by a walsall side who has probably 4 times a smaller wage bill.
Last edited by brummie saddler on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:44 am

bilko wrote:For those of you Walsall fans who thought you should have got more than one point are i think a bit deluded. We didnt play well and ithought we made it easy for you to defend as normally we have two wide players but we played into your hands.

Personally I wasn't impressed with your players kicking our players, your lack of width, and your lack of noise but I wasn't about to write this on your forum. You've clearly come on this page to get some kick out of reading reviews of "how good Swindon played" that would hopefully offset your disappointment in how average you looked, now we've confirmed what you dreaded you're annoyed. I would suggest that you were perhaps the deluded one. Some quotes from your fans (over just two pages of the nineteen) via TheTownEnd:

Not a great game but i was quite impressed with walsall , looked to have what we lacked which was lots of pace upfront - GoSwindon

Very impressed by the way Walsall committed men forward and broke with pace in numbers yesterday, yet remained solid and compact at the back. Fully deserving of a draw. - BruceChatwin

Thought the game was there for the taking for either side yesterday, both sides played some good football in spells, Walsall were quite wasteful with their chances, whereas we never worked their keeper enough. - Benzel

A few sides who have come to the CG recently have been there for the taking but thought Walsall deserved their point today. They missed a couple of sitters and worked hard from the 1st to the last whistle. - Notts Red

I quite like Swindon, I don't like you though...... :evil: :twisted:

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:35 pm

So you start off trying to be the matey opposition fan who's cool enough to chat on these boards but when you don't win you think we're "deluded". :roll:

That who post reads... "waaahhh , waaaah... we day win... waaaahhh :cry: ." No grace at all until you redeemed yourself with a good luck message at the end that i'm sure you meant.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:37 pm

kshammer wrote:

So you start off trying to be the matey opposition fan who's cool enough to chat on these boards but when you don't win you think we're "deluded". :roll:

That who post reads... "waaahhh , waaaah... we day win... waaaahhh :cry: ." No grace at all until you redeemed yourself with a good luck message at the end that i'm sure you meant.

i think he tried the ferdinand tactic of be a little barclays and then shake your hand to keep his head above water :lol:

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:41 pm

Nawtee Saddler

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 pm

bilko wrote:For those of you Walsall fans who thought you should have got more than one point are i think a bit deluded.

Are you trying to mug us off on our own board? What a liberty. You're lucky Swindon's still in one piece you mug.

Mug.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Nawtee Saddler wrote:
bilko wrote:For those of you Walsall fans who thought you should have got more than one point are i think a bit deluded.

Are you trying to mug us off on our own board? What a liberty. You're lucky Swindon's still in one piece you mug.

Mug.

Mug.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season