Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) League 1 Saturday 2/3/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H) League 1 Saturday 2/3/13.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Fellows Park was sold to Morrisons for £5.75m with other ‘budgeted income’ of £660,000 giving a total income of £6.41m.

Having originally unveiled plans for a state-of-the-art ground featuring cantilevered stands and undersoil heating, the final design for the new stadium was a straight copy of Scunthorpe’s recently completed Glanford Park.

The contract for building the ground is awarded – without tender – to GMI Construction, owned by one Peter Gilman.

The final “stadium cost” is £4.1m, although another £1,297,000 is spent on “land reclamation, catering equipment, professional fees and furbishment of public areas” according to the media document released by the club itself at the time.

Glanford Park, built just two years earlier, cost Scunthorpe £2.5m.

Another £1,297,000 was spent on “land reclamation, catering equipment, professional fees and furbishment of public areas”, while other costs listed in official documents include “debt to Glen International: £398,000” and “overdraft and sundry fees: £688,000”. When added to the ‘Site Assembly’ costs (purchase of houses, the supporters club and land owned by the council at Fellows Park) of £1,576,000 total expenditure on the move to the new ground comes to £8,059,000 – a loss of £1,649,000.

Three years later, in 1994, the issue of the Bescot land arises once more as Severn Trent Property mysteriously decide to sell. Faced with the opportunity to reunite the club with the land its ground is built on, Jeff Bonser, the club’s owner and chairman buys it himself, becoming the club’s landlord. It is not known whether the land was ever offered to the club itself and the deal was never publicised at the time. For tax purposes the land is actually owned by Jeff Bonser’s personal pension fund.

SWS1

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks.
Not a pretty sight (site?).
Or smell. (And I do not mean the Gents).
:(

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:56 pm

SWS1 wrote:Thanks.

But the stadium and retail park were built partially on the site of an old sewage treatment plant and sewage beds, so a smell is not to be unexpected. :D

wivenj
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:32 pm

I heard out of someone's own lips once...."if you see a deserted big house somewhere, move in,pay the rates for ten years....Its yours"....Exactly the same but different if you know w hat I mean.UTS.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:55 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Fellows Park was sold to Morrisons for £5.75m with other ‘budgeted income’ of £660,000 giving a total income of £6.41m.

Having originally unveiled plans for a state-of-the-art ground featuring cantilevered stands and undersoil heating, the final design for the new stadium was a straight copy of Scunthorpe’s recently completed Glanford Park.

The contract for building the ground is awarded – without tender – to GMI Construction, owned by one Peter Gilman.

The final “stadium cost” is £4.1m, although another £1,297,000 is spent on “land reclamation, catering equipment, professional fees and furbishment of public areas” according to the media document released by the club itself at the time.

Glanford Park, built just two years earlier, cost Scunthorpe £2.5m.

Another £1,297,000 was spent on “land reclamation, catering equipment, professional fees and furbishment of public areas”, while other costs listed in official documents include “debt to Glen International: £398,000” and “overdraft and sundry fees: £688,000”. When added to the ‘Site Assembly’ costs (purchase of houses, the supporters club and land owned by the council at Fellows Park) of £1,576,000 total expenditure on the move to the new ground comes to £8,059,000 – a loss of £1,649,000.

Three years later, in 1994, the issue of the Bescot land arises once more as Severn Trent Property mysteriously decide to sell. Faced with the opportunity to reunite the club with the land its ground is built on, Jeff Bonser, the club’s owner and chairman buys it himself, becoming the club’s landlord. It is not known whether the land was ever offered to the club itself and the deal was never publicised at the time. For tax purposes the land is actually owned by Jeff Bonser’s personal pension fund.

PUKE

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Exile wrote:Clueless waster, Wayne? Yes, yes you are, because your own personal universe is divorced from financial reality, if I can borrow a phrase.

Once I see a plan to take WFC forward crafted by stayaways I might listen. Once you can come up with a single idea that helps my football club grow and evolve, I might think about taking you seriously.

Haven't seen it yet. Handing out bits of A4 paper outside the ground does nothing, and moaning when you made some rubbish T-shirts that nobody bought just made me laugh a bit in an ironic manner.

You're nothing, and you don't understand why. That's why you're a clueless waster, which I freely admit is my own opinion and may not be representative of UTS as a whole. Up to you to defend yourself. Hint: Saying "but but Bonser" is not advancing the club. Neither is walking away.

I'm not happy with the reality we have, but at least I recognise that it's reality, not some alternative universe where money grows on trees, Bonser had never been born and everyone could stand to sing in the blue pop noodle end. It's easier to work with reality, I think, but I guess I haven't seen the inside of your head, so I have no idea what La-La Land looks like.

Can't be bothered to argue with you

fudge it

SWS1

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:58 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
SWS1 wrote:Thanks.

But the stadium and retail park were built partially on the site of an old sewage treatment plant and sewage beds, so a smell is not to be unexpected. :D

I remember it well. But that (now non-existent) smell is, of course, not the one I'm thinking of. The smell I'm thinking of is more piscatorial! And permanent. :x

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:04 pm

The stayaways are gutted about this run. You can smell the regret a mile away.

UTS

Walsall Football Club, smashing the Sloppies since 1888.

wivenj
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:59 pm

saddlerken wrote:The stayaways are gutted about this run. You can smell the regret a mile away.

UTS

Not at all Kennybabes...I regret we're not on this run playing in a beautiful ground though.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:10 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
Exile wrote:Clueless waster, Wayne? Yes, yes you are, because your own personal universe is divorced from financial reality, if I can borrow a phrase.

Once I see a plan to take WFC forward crafted by stayaways I might listen. Once you can come up with a single idea that helps my football club grow and evolve, I might think about taking you seriously.

Haven't seen it yet. Handing out bits of A4 paper outside the ground does nothing, and moaning when you made some rubbish T-shirts that nobody bought just made me laugh a bit in an ironic manner.

You're nothing, and you don't understand why. That's why you're a clueless waster, which I freely admit is my own opinion and may not be representative of UTS as a whole. Up to you to defend yourself. Hint: Saying "but but Bonser" is not advancing the club. Neither is walking away.

I'm not happy with the reality we have, but at least I recognise that it's reality, not some alternative universe where money grows on trees, Bonser had never been born and everyone could stand to sing in the blue pop noodle end. It's easier to work with reality, I think, but I guess I haven't seen the inside of your head, so I have no idea what La-La Land looks like.

fudge it

Of course you can't . Loser.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:01 pm

swiftyboy wrote:

fudge it

Thank god for that.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Time to go.....time to go....

Glitterati

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:14 pm

saddlerken wrote:The stayaways are gutted about this run. You can smell the regret a mile away.

UTS

And is there anything more sickening and pathetic than stayaways posting on here while a game is on?

wivenj
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:21 pm

Whitters wrote:

UTS

And is there anything more sickening and pathetic than stayaways posting on here while a game is on?

Do one whitters. :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Whitters wrote:

UTS

Please remember that some of us are not stayaways by choice, but by various domestic circumstances. Posting while the game is on is the nearest experience to "match day" possible without actually being there!! :D

Lilsnappa
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Am i reading correctly that a match reaction thread about one of the greatest local derby victories we have had for some time has turned into another blooming boring argument about the blooming freehold and Bonser?!

He is the best we have for now, he isnt going anywhere for a while and we are unlikely to be brought out by some rich oil baron. We have a cracking young squad and are playing beautiful football. stop arguing amongst yourself and actually look at the state of our club at the minute.

These are good times to be a Saddler, take note.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Whitters wrote:

UTS

Please remember that some of us are not stayaways by choice, but by various domestic circumstances. Posting while the game is on is the nearest experience to "match day" possible without actually being there!! :D

Not talking about that sort of absentee Welsh - or expats obviously.
Talking about the people who COULD be there but aren't.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 am

Lilsnappa wrote:Am i reading correctly that a match reaction thread about one of the greatest local derby victories we have had for some time has turned into another blooming boring argument about the blooming freehold and Bonser?!

He is the best we have for now, he isnt going anywhere for a while and we are unlikely to be brought out by some rich oil baron. We have a cracking young squad and are playing beautiful football. stop arguing amongst yourself and actually look at the state of our club at the minute.

Well said!

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:08 am

Lilsnappa wrote:Am i reading correctly that a match reaction thread about one of the greatest local derby victories we have had for some time has turned into another blooming boring argument about the blooming freehold and Bonser?!

I apologise for digressing and defending my club, and I thoroughly agree with your post! :D

windowman
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:37 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I bet I could name a dozen clubs that don't pay rent, that would give anything to be where we are at right now. Teams that have thrown more money at the footballing side, that haven't achieved what we have, and in some cases aren't even in the football league anymore.

Everyone knows the score now, even if they should have known it years ago, but apparently it only came to light post Scott and Dann leaving. If Grigg, Brandy and co leave in the summer, then so be it, we can't be held to ransom by players, if they wish to leave for more money, even though another season at Walsall may enhance their career and future earnings, then not a lot we can do. I am sure their agents will be on their cases already, telling them the benefits of moving away, without stopping to explain the downsides.

Good things are happening at Walsall right now, it's a shame it always has to be overshadowed by this argument, which quite frankly no one has come up with any better answer to, than simply stopping going, which in reality makes the problem worse.

thing is mark,i didnt understand how bonser got his hands on the freehold until i started reading this forum,even then i thought we owned everything ontop of the land,any how, see you at swindon,uts

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:03 am

Superb post.

I know the usual bores want to spoil everything but couldn't believe it was brought up on this thread. Pathetic.

windowman
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 am

thing is mate,its a popular board with lots of posters,if you want a board where everyone agrees with everyone,use that forum ,saves you from mixing with bores

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:20 am

kshammer wrote:

Superb post.

I know the usual bores want to spoil everything but couldn't believe it was brought up on this thread. Pathetic.

I blame it on the mods - they should police it better and step in when threads get off subject.
Scones anyone?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:29 am

Whitters wrote:
kshammer wrote:

Superb post.

I blame it on the mods - they should police it better and step in when threads get off subject.
Scones anyone?

Should we? Deviation from a thread's original theme can be both entertaining and at times more engaging than the original topic. It is also a more accurate reflection of human interaction: to digress, or progress, discussion.

I would also be concerned where one draws a line between development of a theme and deviation from it. Discussion on the ownership of the club may inevitably occur if, say, following a fine performance there is concern whether we can secure out of contract players.

Technically, your post on board moderation takes this thread more off topic than posts on the club's ownership. But you have used an opportune moment to raise a matter, to which I have responded. To stop such opportunity would make this board much less compelling a read in my view.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:30 am

Can't win can you KC, when you interfere, you are an interfering old so and so, and when you don't.....

traymondo
UTS Regular

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:06 pm

1933 wrote:Highlights now online.... http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0 ... 3,00.html#

Sublime, sexy football.
I could watch those highlights all day.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:45 pm

traymondo wrote:
1933 wrote:Highlights now online.... http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0 ... 3,00.html#

Sublime, sexy football.
I could watch those highlights all day.

Their defence looks even more at sea on the telly.

cack all over them.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:43 pm

No, it wasn't us, it was the biased ref!

:D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Whitters wrote:
kshammer wrote:

Superb post.

Scones anyone?

Oh lovely, yes please! :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season