Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) League 1 Saturday 2/3/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
m&m
Glitterati

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H) League 1 Saturday 2/3/13.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Fabulous result and a great performance for 60mins today. At that point we decided the game was won and eased off. If we had given it 100% for the last 30 i'm sure we would have had 5. Something for Deano to get through to them maybe?

one annoying thing though --What does Will grigg need to do to get the adulation of the faithful? Brandy seems to have done that with his own chant after scoring 5 goals. Grigg has trebbled that and still has no chant of his own.

walter otta fan club

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:56 pm

i started it tuesday night. can we believe at last. MOMENTUM is required in the play offs 26pts from 33, players all fit and brushing teams aside>>>

EEE I EEE I EEE I OW..UP THE FOOTBALL ERE WE GO.

just let the so called "bigger clubs" spend spend spend...and still be no further forward.

Oh and the dingles are certain for the drop, they are worse than the sloppies from what i saw last night!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:57 pm

m&m wrote:one annoying thing though --What does Will grigg need to do to get the adulation of the faithful? Brandy seems to have done that with his own chant after scoring 5 goals. Grigg has trebbled that and still has no chant of his own.

You mean other then the ryan giggs rip off of grigg grigg he'll tear you apart grigg grigg (not to often but it does crop up) as well as international centre forward...or for the sarcastic gits in the crowd international bench warmer.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:58 pm

Will Grigg doesnt really go into a song.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:05 pm

wivenj wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:wivenj is sweet!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Think I have a lisp eh???... You'll wegwet it.

thowwy

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:09 pm

The point is that if I were Will Grigg I would be feeling a tad unloved given the adulation given to strike partner Brandy who has a third of his goals.
Typical Walsall fans though. We don't really like our own do we?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:15 pm

latviancheese wrote:Will Grigg doesnt really go into a song.

Couldn't this be adapted?

Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs,
Running down the wing,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs,
Running down the wing.
Feared by the Blues,
Loved by the Reds,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs

Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs running down the wing,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, crosses like the King,
Beats one and two, beats three and four,
He will score, he will score, he will score.

Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs greatest-ever goal,
Extra-time, Villa Park, ran right past them all,
Beat half the team, straight in the net,
Won't forget, won't forget, no we won't forget

walter otta fan club

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:18 pm

we need to keep butler and taylor out the spot light too..

Leicester and bolton already watching paterson

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 pm

walter otta fan club wrote:we need to keep butler and taylor out the spot light too..

Downing would get more attention than Butler and Taylor, albeit they are playing well. Far more potential in him.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Another crucial 3 points, many have already summed it up pretty much spot on. Shrewsbury were poor - thought Richards was their biggest "threat" in terms of his distribution but we dealt with it well. We did switch off and fell asleep for a period in the 2nd half but can't really moan because the performance levels recently have been outstanding. Never been a big admirer of Westcarr but he certainly did a job today and was pleased to see him get on the scoresheet. Grigg is on flames and hopefully a contract can be signed sooner rather than later, he should blitz 20 goals now. Brandy was the usual Brandy, lively, pacey and completley bamboozled the sloppies defence, inparticularly when earning the penalty. There are some tasty fixtures coming up - goes without saying - but we should fear no one as people have already said. Hopefully a large and vocal backing at Swindon can continue our play-off form. UTS

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:47 pm

walter otta fan club wrote:we need to keep butler and taylor out the spot light too..

Cool, theyve got the ££££

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Maybe not, but I'm sure that KC could do something with
Jimmy Osmond's "Long haired striker, from Solihull".

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:04 pm

walter otta fan club wrote:i started it tuesday night. can we believe at last. MOMENTUM is required in the play offs 26pts from 33, players all fit and brushing teams aside>>>

just let the so called "bigger clubs" spend spend spend...and still be no further forward.

Oh and the dingles are certain for the drop, they are worse than the sloppies from what i saw last night!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn't it "up the football league we go"?

Makes more sense

SWS1

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:34 pm

What has happened this season (long winless run notwithstanding) is surely an endorsement of letting a manager have a decent chance (two, three years) to really get his team and ideas going. If we listened to certain people, Smith would have gone long ago, and some of our great, young prospects (e.g. Grigg, Patterson) would have been kicked out, too. You have to give it TIME and be patient, sometimes.
Keep the faith (especially in the young ones!!).
:D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:39 pm

Leatherman wrote:

Couldn't this be adapted?

Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs,
Running down the wing,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs,
Running down the wing.
Feared by the Blues,
Loved by the Reds,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs

Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs running down the wing,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, crosses like the King,
Beats one and two, beats three and four,
He will score, he will score, he will score.

Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs greatest-ever goal,
Extra-time, Villa Park, ran right past them all,
Beat half the team, straight in the net,
Won't forget, won't forget, no we won't forget

Is there really any need to post all that bilge on here, even if it is in the hope of a new song for one of our own. I just sicked in my mouth and swallowed it.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Worsul wrote:
walter otta fan club wrote:i started it tuesday night. can we believe at last. MOMENTUM is required in the play offs 26pts from 33, players all fit and brushing teams aside>>>

Isn't it "up the football league we go"?

Makes more sense

It is, it is, and it always was.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:12 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:Brandy - I will be surprised if he plays a full game on Tuesday.

Me too. We'e not playing. :wink:

Oooops! I've got a ticket for the Tranmere match! Thought it was next week. :oops: :oops: :oops:

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:44 am

bit pissed, but i ain't seeing double, and i swear i joined in with 4 different grigg chants today. coherent reflections later, if at all. grandad would be proud today.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:39 am

What a nice feeling waking up and the first thought is that we did the sloppies 3-1 !!!!!! Well done boys and a big well done to the ground staff as the pitch was a major Improvement and helped us to play our passing game which was impossible v notts county . I for one am still dreaming of a BIG ending to the season. :D
Up the Saddles forever !!!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:00 am

Grigg had Atleast four chants yesterday, there was "He gets the ball he's boing to score", "get Griggy with it" "Grigg will tear you apart again" and "We all love Will Grigg"

How many chants does one man need!?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:08 am

swiftyboy wrote:
aaaae wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Enjoy it while you can. Mr Bonser will be eying up the situation with £ signs in his greedy leechy eyes!

Expect the promising team to be broken up within months

Whhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait and see......

I appreciate that It must be difficult for you, Swifty, as someone who was a supporter and deep down would like to be again but for stubbornness and pride.

The likelihood is that if we stay in this division then we will lose some players at the end of the season. You will then go into "told ya" mode. The reality though will be that these players will be worth more to another club than we can afford to pay.

You (and others) would argue that this is due to Bonser and the rent and i imagine that everyone else would agree that it is a factor, I am sure. However, if we were averaging 8-9000 per game we would be able to afford the salaries of these players rather than again look for low earners / cast offs and youths to develop and sell. As it is the cycle will repeat.

Take yesterday for example. There were 1500 more Walsall fans than earlier in the season which probably gave the club an extra 20 grand . Multiply by 23 and you have covered the rent With some change.

Instead of all the bitterness, why not just go and enjoy the football?

As for yesterday, worth a 300 mile round trip and I thought the extra thousand made for a good atmosphere.

WWLWWWWLWWDDWW :)

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:21 am

swiftyboy wrote:
aaaae wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Enjoy it while you can. Mr Bonser will be eying up the situation with £ signs in his greedy leechy eyes!

Wait and see......

Utterly clueless waster.

Great win from Deano and the lads. Well done Walsall.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 am

chestersaddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
aaaae wrote:

Wait and see......

I appreciate that It must be difficult for you, Swifty, as someone who was a supporter and deep down would like to be again but for stubbornness and pride.

The likelihood is that if we stay in this division then we will lose some players at the end of the season. You will then go into "told ya" mode. The reality though will be that these players will be worth more to another club than we can afford to pay.

You (and others) would argue that this is due to Bonser and the rent and i imagine that everyone else would agree that it is a factor, I am sure. However, if we were averaging 8-9000 per game we would be able to afford the salaries of these players rather than again look for low earners / cast offs and youths to develop and sell. As it is the cycle will repeat.

Take yesterday for example. There were 1500 more Walsall fans than earlier in the season which probably gave the club an extra 20 grand . Multiply by 23 and you have covered the rent With some change.

Instead of all the bitterness, why not just go and enjoy the football?

As for yesterday, worth a 300 mile round trip and I thought the extra thousand made for a good atmosphere.

WWLWWWWLWWDDWW :)

I'm not stubborn, and not bitter

Just look at the sensible option instead. Extra £20k= another little dent removed from the debt we owe Bonser. A debt we shouldn't have in the first place, but we do- because of Bonser.

Another £20 that COULD, and SHOULD be used towards the team. This is my gripe and it makes me sick. Too sick to return. End of story

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:33 am

Wah wah wah, get on with your life, what a bore.

See you at Swindon, not. :lol:

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:34 am

Exile wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
aaaae wrote:

Wait and see......

Utterly clueless waster.

I'm a clueless waster am I?

Your a tool, but I don't call you names do I? Except in reaction.

As I said on a previous post earlier up the thread, I'm chuffed the team are doing well, and chuffed fans are enjoying it. I'm just reminding you blinkered folk of the reality, yet you continuously reject it

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:00 am

swiftyboy wrote:I'm not stubborn, and not bitter

Just look at the sensible option instead. Extra £20k= another little dent removed from the debt we owe Bonser. A debt we shouldn't have in the first place, but we do- because of Bonser.

Another £20 that COULD, and SHOULD be used towards the team. This is my gripe and it makes me sick. Too sick to return. End of story

And that's not bitter and stubborn?

Your argument is not entirely logical either. Bonser may have tucked us up with the freehold, but he has also managed to run the club far more professionally than many others over the years who have ridiculous debts compared to us, despite not paying rent to their Chairman. And for what? To line the pockets of players and agents in order to appease fans who then desert the club in droves as soon as the sun fades away.

We are stuck with the rent and as I said earlier, 400 grand would be easily covered by a thousand or two extra fans - something that a town the size of Walsall should be able to deliver easily, and in the short term, if the money helps reduce the Directors' loans then that has to be a benefit to the financial stability of the club.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 am

Clueless waster, Wayne? Yes, yes you are, because your own personal universe is divorced from financial reality, if I can borrow a phrase.

Once I see a plan to take WFC forward crafted by stayaways I might listen. Once you can come up with a single idea that helps my football club grow and evolve, I might think about taking you seriously.

Haven't seen it yet. Handing out bits of A4 paper outside the ground does nothing, and moaning when you made some rubbish T-shirts that nobody bought just made me laugh a bit in an ironic manner.

You're nothing, and you don't understand why. That's why you're a clueless waster, which I freely admit is my own opinion and may not be representative of UTS as a whole. Up to you to defend yourself. Hint: Saying "but but Bonser" is not advancing the club. Neither is walking away.

I'm not happy with the reality we have, but at least I recognise that it's reality, not some alternative universe where money grows on trees, Bonser had never been born and everyone could stand to sing in the blue pop noodle end. It's easier to work with reality, I think, but I guess I haven't seen the inside of your head, so I have no idea what La-La Land looks like.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:04 am

swiftyboy wrote:
Exile wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
aaaae wrote:

Wait and see......

Utterly clueless waster.

I'm a clueless waster am I?

Your a tool, but I don't call you names do I? Except in reaction.

As I said on a previous post earlier up the thread, I'm chuffed the team are doing well, and chuffed fans are enjoying it. I'm just reminding you blinkered folk of the reality, yet you continuously reject it

Adding into Chester's point, nobody has rejected it. I honestly don't know anybody who has said the freehold situation is a good thing. That's something you like to harp on for to keep your stubborn, pride driven point going.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:15 am

I bet I could name a dozen clubs that don't pay rent, that would give anything to be where we are at right now. Teams that have thrown more money at the footballing side, that haven't achieved what we have, and in some cases aren't even in the football league anymore.

Everyone knows the score now, even if they should have known it years ago, but apparently it only came to light post Scott and Dann leaving. If Grigg, Brandy and co leave in the summer, then so be it, we can't be held to ransom by players, if they wish to leave for more money, even though another season at Walsall may enhance their career and future earnings, then not a lot we can do. I am sure their agents will be on their cases already, telling them the benefits of moving away, without stopping to explain the downsides.

Good things are happening at Walsall right now, it's a shame it always has to be overshadowed by this argument, which quite frankly no one has come up with any better answer to, than simply stopping going, which in reality makes the problem worse.

SWS1

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:05 pm

I really can't remember the details, BUT:
Can someone tell me how much the club got for Fellows Park, how much was paid for Bescot and who paid it? What would the debt have been had the club taken on the whole thing rather than letting Bonsewer and his cronies get hold of the ground? What would be the on-going cost of servicing any debt incurred?
I genuinely have no idea about these things but would be interested to know, if figures are available (with so much discussion over the years, someone must have them).
Like most people, I simplistically think what the club could have done over the years with the rent money, but it has to be offset against expenses like the above.
Moreover, there is no guarantee that extra cash would not have been squandered "chasing the dream" ( or whatever) and dropped us in worse financial situations than we currently have. (There is also no guarantee that we would have had Uncle Jeff around to nurture the club with his, ahem, sensible husbandry (!) either - get out crash helmet - although I'm only 10% serious here).
We've had a lot of difficult times in the recent past and what is happening now is not so much a golden era as a purple patch. It could become a golden era if the team can be kept together for a season or so, perhaps even strengthened a little, although I share at least a little of the pessimism regarding that (we are Walsall, after all).
For the moment, let's just lie back and enjoy it.
And it's good to talk!
:D

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season