Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (A) League 1 Saturday 23/2/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Re: Brentford (A) League 1 Saturday 23/2/13.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Worsul wrote:
Cully wrote:
Worsul wrote:
Cully wrote:
boringteacher wrote:Good result. Bodes really well for NEXT season

Why? I wouldn't be happy drawing 0 - 0 with a bunch of cockerneys next season, we should be thrashing the pants off dregs like them with our glorious team of ball carriers.

And with that comment your credibility plummets to absolute zero.Well done the lads today. Those who were there know they worked very hard.

I had no idea that credibility was a requirement or desirable asset when posting after reading your posts.

You have no idea full stop

I feel a massive wo-o-o-o-o-sh just passed you by un-noticed! :D

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:36 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Worsul wrote:
Cully wrote:
Worsul wrote:
Cully wrote:[quote="boringteacher"]Good result. Bodes really well for NEXT season

Why? I wouldn't be happy drawing 0 - 0 with a bunch of cockerneys next season, we should be thrashing the pants off dregs like them with our glorious team of ball carriers.

And with that comment your credibility plummets to absolute zero.Well done the lads today. Those who were there know they worked very hard.

I had no idea that credibility was a requirement or desirable asset when posting after reading your posts.

I feel a massive wo-o-o-o-o-sh just passed you by un-noticed! :D[/quote]

Oh, that again.

Ha.

Can i claim a whoosh on the whoosh?

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Cully wrote:

You been drinking?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Worsul wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
Worsul wrote:

I feel a massive wo-o-o-o-o-sh just passed you by un-noticed! :D

Oh, that again.

Ha.

Can i claim a whoosh on the whoosh?

Not sure. I need to check the site rules! :D

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:49 pm

boringteacher wrote:
Cully wrote:

You been drinking?

I never drink when posting and thus avoid making stupid pointless statements.

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Maybe I was a bit hasty to respond but when the players have run their socks off against a physical team on a bitterly cold day when they could just lie down and let the season become meaningless, then I for 1 am grateful, and I don't appreciate digs at them even if it is in jest.

Apologies if I offended anyone especially you Cully.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Worsul wrote:Maybe I was a bit hasty to respond but when the players have run their socks off against a physical team on a bitterly cold day when they could just lie down and let the season become meaningless, then I for 1 am grateful, and I don't appreciate digs at them even if it is in jest.

There is absolutely no chance of me ever being offended Worsul, post what you like with impunity, you certainly don't owe me an apology and don't forget to post after next seasons game at Griffin Park :D

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:05 pm

Cully wrote:
Worsul wrote:Maybe I was a bit hasty to respond but when the players have run their socks off against a physical team on a bitterly cold day when they could just lie down and let the season become meaningless, then I for 1 am grateful, and I don't appreciate digs at them even if it is in jest.

There is absolutely no chance of me ever being offended Worsul, post what you like with impunity, you certainly don't owe me an apology and don't forget to post after next seasons game at Griffin Park :D

Why is it important i post after next seasons game? Could Brentford not get promoted? Could walsall? :)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:33 pm

On the face of it, a very good result. Probably not good enough for our dreams, but still a long way to go :D

Walsall FC.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:08 pm

Cracking point.

Just outside the play offs... what a season.

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:22 pm

A deserved draw today. We were overran at times in the first half but got more into it in the second half and created a lot more chances.
Trotta for Brentford was superb and caused Butler all sorts of problems. George, making his debut, coped well and cleared one shot off the line.
McCarey made some decent saves, although they were saves you should expect him to make. Taylor, who was a bit flustered in the first half, poked a clearance against our bar. Grigg was completely isolated as our midfield never got a look in.

Second half we were a lot better. Brandy, Paterson and Baxendale came into the game more and finally got the ball up to Grigg. Struggling to think of a decent chance we created, although we had lot more possession. A bit more intelligent use of the ball could have seen us with a lot more clear cut chances. Most of our shots came from Taylor, bombing forward from left-back. Westcarr did well when he came on and provided a bit more muscle. We got to grips with Trotta in the second half and they didn't trouble us as much. Fetherstone almost snatched it at the end but blasted over, when he was off balance.

MOTM has to go to McCarey, although he almost blew it in the 94th minute trying to come for a cross through a crowd of players.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Just imagine if we had just won just one game in 17? Would be a season changer.

Oh well :D

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:54 pm

T'was very cold. Brentford were a good side but we just about matched them. Had we shown them less respect and pushed forward more, we might have got something more. One point is not enough to challenge for a play off place. Only three will do. Three at Carlise might just keep our play off hopes alive. Anything less and its over. (Zimmer frame broke down this morning - had to borrow Mrs Surrey Saddlers's Smart Car. Horrible, its not smart at all.)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:27 am

WALSALL FC

xxxxx

My only true love.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:08 am

Got an almighty half a second of highlights on the football league show, must of been riveting stuff Jeff.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:55 am

No attendance given yet, either, which is odd :o .

casemine

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:00 am

Reading the BBC website match report it sounded like we got battered and came away with a hard won point. Watching the football league show looked very different as if one team cancelled the other out with off the line clearences by both sides. What actually happened?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:41 am

casemine wrote:Reading the BBC website match report it sounded like we got battered and came away with a hard won point. Watching the football league show looked very different as if one team cancelled the other out with off the line clearences by both sides. What actually happened?

The football league show had it right. They had the better of the first half and although they created lots of chances, we defended very well, so not many were that clear cut.

We were better second half, and but for the final ball being often misjudged we might have nicked it. We finished strongly, and I think if the game had gone on for another 5 or 10 minutes, we would have done.

Brentford are a strong side, in both senses of the word, and to grind out a point shows how strong we are at the moment.

It's just a pity Grigg wasn't at his best, as he's the difference when we're on form.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Didnt go but I think Brentford have a realistic chance of nicking an automatic promotion spot, especially with the forward line of Clayton Donaldson, Marcello Trott and Bradly Wright-Phillips so this was a very impressive point regardless of any form we are . Perhaps people have got used to beating teams in the automatic promotion spots every week. Been on the Brentford forum and there is some complements for us, how we are a form team, how we defended well in the 1st half and controlled the ball nicely in the second half. Particular mentions for Brandy consistently skinning their full back and our number 4 (Butler) who headed everything away.

Another solid point. We have to hope playing Saturday/Tuesday at opposite ends of the country doesn't affect our performance on Tuesday as we could really do with 6 points from the next 2 games, as Swindon away the following week will be a game where we take 0 points.

gray
Glitterati

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Just back from London, really impressed by us again. Brentford were the better team first half and we were the better team in the second. As the game went on we grew in confidence and played some really nice football again. I thought Adam Chambers was immense again, we just lacked a bit of a cutting edge when it came to getting the goal. The playoff dream continues, just about. UTS!

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Going there, getting a point and not conceding is a good result. That's three games unbeaten against Brentford this season.

Did that Harvey Dean play? He seemed like a right douche in the two home games.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:03 pm

latviancheese wrote:WALSALL FC

xxxxx

My only true love.

You have me crying.:lol:

K cider ain't it.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:14 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
latviancheese wrote:WALSALL FC

xxxxx

My only true love.

You have me crying.:lol:

K cider ain't it.

Nah my other best mate Ron Bacardi.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:59 am

pumajaguar wrote:Going there, getting a point and not conceding is a good result. That's three games unbeaten against Brentford this season.

Did that Harvey Dean play? He seemed like a right douche in the two home games.

His actual name is HARLEE Dean, he's got a girly name....... and yes he did.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am

On another note why was our game the only one that didn't have an attendance announced out of all the games at the weekend? I know they were having problems with their electrics just before the game but their turnstiles are about as old as the old Fellows Park turnstiles, so i wouldn't imagine there would be electrics involved in counting how many went through them.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Any reports on how Ben George played?

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:Any reports on how Ben George played?

With his 2 feet, For 90 minutes, at RB? :mrgreen:

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Rob Harvey wrote:

Boom, and indeed, boom. :lol:

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:
Rob Harvey wrote:

Boom, and indeed, boom. :lol:

Although in all seriousness, I heard that he played OK! Cleared one off the line.

gray
Glitterati

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:52 pm

Yeah he played well. Definitely didn't look out of his depth.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season