Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (H) League 1 Saturday 16/2/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
rogerem
UTS Legend

Re: Notts County (H) League 1 Saturday 16/2/13.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:57 pm

stop arguing you two, if we don't win today I'm blaming you!!!

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Westcarr probably having his best game in a Walsall shirt today, probably becuase its against County.

Takes up better positions and uses posession better than Bexendale, I dont buy that what so ever sorry.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:13 pm

[quote="bleed_red_n_white"]Westcarr probably having his best game in a Walsall shirt today, probably becuase its against County.

Takes up better positions and uses posession better than Bexendale, I dont buy that what so ever sorry.[/

Don't be. It's your view and that's fine. I wasn't arguing as to whether or not he is better / worse than Baxendale, just taking issue with the "complete gash" comment. It is good that we have options and I believe that we should support Smiths decisions even if it is not exactly what we might do ourselves.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm

1-1

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Substutute Arquin gets it.

Time to dig deep...

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Just what County deserve we havent had a shot on goal this half absolute rubbish we could lose this if were not careful

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:34 pm

results around us gash at the moment. Could do with all 3.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Westcarr off, Bowerman on?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:36 pm

latviancheese wrote:Westcarr off, Bowerman on?

Positive move

rogerem
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:42 pm

just under 4500, disappointing , but come on Walsall !!!!!!!!

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:42 pm

The ref is horrendous!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Full time.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:59 pm

rogerem wrote:just under 4500, disappointing , but come on Walsall !!!!!!!!

4,416, including 613 from Notts. 400 less Saddlers than the previous home game.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:21 pm

The pitch is awful. Certainly helped County more than us.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:30 pm

Thought we were lucky to get a point, County really did adapt to the pitch better than we did. Also, the ref was atrocious.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Game of 2 halfs imo.

They were better in the 2nd half.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Fair enough draw. County weren't up for it in the first half, but made a stack of chances in the 2nd. Defence looked more uncertain without Perkiss while Downing's distribution was shocking today.

Someone really should have stopped that fecking farmer from plowing up our pitch with 6 home games left. No chance of a playoff run for a passing team if that's what they have to play on.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm not sure what I saw but I've heard a few mentions of the 'p' word about todays performance - poor. You lost the plot? Again we took control of the 1st half and found a County team that have a superb squad at this level and haven't performed for one reason or another upp it to the required level in the second half to create 2-3 good chances. I thought again we tried hard, worked as a team and fought for every ball on a thoroughly atrocious football pitch that can only have just made it passed inspection. Brandy and Paterson were excellent again and Taylor was my MOTM, he covered every blade of grass whilst providing quality in both attack and defence.

I've also heard mentions of Westcarr's best game? Gash - he and James Chambers were stand out's as the weak links. Again he was lazy, slow, plodding, won nothing in the air, provided no attacking threat and missed our chance of the second half. Poor player overall and has no way of improving interms of pace and height to improve himself.

County have players we would normally be dreaming of, JCR and Judge are superb wingers at this level. Arquin, Zoko and Jeff Hughes have been a range of solid to impressive lower league players for years and Dean Leacock/Andy Liddle are both decent centre halves.

Thought the second half was a good blood and thunder game, end to end with both teams attacking and creating openings. The fact that I was sat in the car park in February even mentioning the playoffs goes to show where we've come, the last 2 years it would have most likely been a depressing look back on another home capitulation or references to games as '6 pointers' in the fight for relegation.

Unlucky lads, well played again. Some good attacking stuff, decent at the back and an overall entertianing performance.

Onwards and Upwards.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:49 pm

Sadders wrote:I'm not sure what I saw but I've heard a few mentions of the 'p' word about todays performance - poor. You lost the plot? Again we took control of the 1st half and found a County team that have a superb squad at this level and haven't performed for one reason or another upp it to the required level in the second half to create 2-3 good chances. I thought again we tried hard, worked as a team and fought for every ball on a thoroughly atrocious football pitch that can only have just made it passed inspection. Brandy and Paterson were excellent again and Taylor was my MOTM, he covered every blade of grass whilst providing quality in both attack and defence.

I've also heard mentions of Westcarr's best game? Gash - he and James Chambers were stand out's as the weak links. Again he was lazy, slow, plodding, won nothing in the air, provided no attacking threat and missed our chance of the second half. Poor player overall and has no way of improving interms of pace and height to improve himself.

County have players we would normally be dreaming of, JCR and Judge are superb wingers at this level. Arquin, Zoko and Jeff Hughes have been a range of solid to impressive lower league players for years and Dean Leacock/Andy Liddle are both decent centre halves.

Thought the second half was a good blood and thunder game, end to end with both teams attacking and creating openings. The fact that I was sat in the car park in February even mentioning the playoffs goes to show where we've come, the last 2 years it would have most likely been a depressing look back on another home capitulation or references to games as '6 pointers' in the fight for relegation.

Unlucky lads, well played again. Some good attacking stuff, decent at the back and an overall entertianing performance.

Onwards and Upwards.

Are you listening chester? :lol:

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:05 pm

I thought we were playing Stonewall FC when I saw the pink County shirts.

My humble thoughts on todays performance on what was an atrocious pitch.

McLoughlin 6.5 - Not his busiest of afternoons and dealt with most things without too much drama. Perhaps should have come out for the cross that resulted in a goal.

J Chambers 5 - @taundz-esque performance really. Gave the ball away and couldn't clear it. However, he is a lot faster than Purkiss and their No. 20 skinned him easily. Defensively, I'm not sure Purkiss would have faired any better today.

Downing 6 - I think he was pushed over just before they scored. Did seem to hoof the ball a lot today but then again the pitch was hardly conducive to passing play.

Butler 7 - Another solid and unspectacular performance. Stuck his head where feet were flying. Talked to the ref alot today, probably reminding him what his job was.

Taylor 7.5 - Worked his socks off trying to create chances. Kept popping up all over the park. Robbed of MOTM

A Chambers 5 - Not much of a midfield maestro today. He played like he was during our miserable patch. Hopefully just a blip

Mantom 4.5 - Didn't notice him at all!!! Contributed nothing that caught my eye. A performance to forget. Should have been subbed. Was Featherstone on the bench?

Westcarr 6 - I can't agree with those who call him lazy because I thought he put in a good shift today. Perhaps should have done better with his chance and he linked up well with Brandy. Definately should have got a penalty but Brandy's dive seconds before probably clouded the refs mind.

Brandy 7 - Worked really hard to day but doesn't do himself any favours with his theatrical falls. Maybe some contact has been made but the way he goes down you would think he had been shot. If an opposition player did the same we would be calling for his nadgers. I am always impressed with defensive contribution and today was no exception .

Paterson 7 - Some great dribbling and fancy footwork but kept taking it a yard too far and losing possession. The pitch didn't help his game at all. County defence looked a bit jittery when he ran at them but he made it easy for them to stick out a foot and stop him. Decent work rate though.

Grigg 7 - Unlucky in the first half when he got round the keeper only for his effort to be cleared off the line. Another player who put in a tireless shift. Did well with penalty after the delay caused by the lady garden with a smoke bomb. Not sure why he goes to the empty stand to celebrate. Is he taking the wee folowing the criticism he got earler in the season?

Bowerman 5 - Didn't contribute much apart from a decent flick on header that created a half chance. Needs more first team action if Smith wants him to be an impact player.

1 - 1 was a fair result and the pitch was the real winner today. I hope it has time to recover as it's present state isn't going to sustain our passing game. Very poor ref today. Not even booking their goalie after he clattered Paterson for the penalty. Should have been a red.

A game to forget and move on.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Thought J Chambers was poor today and looking at their goal on sky just it seemed he was the main culprit. Thought Grigg worked well and was a handful, but he`s never a centre forward and never will be compered to their forwards,second half they bought on another big man and just pumped the ball into the box, success.

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Ref ruined that game for Walsall

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Hate to say it, but we will win more away than at home if we have to put up with that bog.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:11 am

BathSaddler wrote:
rogerem wrote:just under 4500, disappointing , but come on Walsall !!!!!!!!

4,416, including 613 from Notts. 400 less Saddlers than the previous home game.

The sides of the ground seemed fuller today. The overflow carpark had plenty of cars in it and parking went well past Joseph Leckie. County bought 4 -5 coaches. Really suprised the attendance figures show a dip.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:32 am

what about the overflow toilet? WAs the cack big enough

PT
Site Addict

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:47 am

The ref (fat kettle) and the pitch were as bad as eachother and combined to make playing footall virtually impossible.

Their keeper should have been sent off for his thigh high lunge that lead to the pen and yet after 70 minutes he booked anything that looked like a foul. He couldn't keep up with play which meant he had no idea on the Brandy pen as he was so far behind it and obviously wasn't going to make a guess in our favour.

The pitch - a real shame. As others have said we're paying for the hard work put in to get the games on during the cold snap. Both sides tried to play on it but you just couldn't trust it. I can't see it improving much over the next fortnight either even if the weather helps.

I was relieved when I saw J Chambers in the side rather than@Taundz but he was an undoubted weak link and not surprisingly was caught up in the mess that was their goal. Holden has played most of his career at right-back and as the pitch meant that it was never a day for over-lapping wizardry, with hindsight and having seen their goal again, Holden may have been a better bet.

Finally a big thanks to George Bowerman for helping with the finances. During his last few substitute appearances he seems to have been determined to save on the laundry bill by avoiding any prospect of getting dirty even on mud-heaps. Neat hair, neat kit - well done Goerge!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:30 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Westcarr probably having his best game in a Walsall shirt today, probably becuase its against County.

Takes up better positions and uses posession better than Bexendale, I dont buy that what so ever sorry.

Westcarr was having his best game, but was fading. But we dropped off completely when he went off.

We missed Baxendale's, and more importantly Purkiss's ball into the box yesterday.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:32 pm

PT wrote:The ref (fat kettle) and the pitch were as bad as eachother and combined to make playing footall virtually impossible.

Their keeper should have been sent off for his thigh high lunge that lead to the pen and yet after 70 minutes he booked anything that looked like a foul. He couldn't keep up with play which meant he had no idea on the Brandy pen as he was so far behind it and obviously wasn't going to make a guess in our favour.

The pitch - a real shame. As others have said we're paying for the hard work put in to get the games on during the cold snap. Both sides tried to play on it but you just couldn't trust it. I can't see it improving much over the next fortnight either even if the weather helps.

I was relieved when I saw J Chambers in the side rather than@Taundz but he was an undoubted weak link and not surprisingly was caught up in the mess that was their goal. Holden has played most of his career at right-back and as the pitch meant that it was never a day for over-lapping wizardry, with hindsight and having seen their goal again, Holden may have been a better bet.

Finally a big thanks to George Bowerman for helping with the finances. During his last few substitute appearances he seems to have been determined to save on the laundry bill by avoiding any prospect of getting dirty even on mud-heaps. Neat hair, neat kit - well done Goerge!

Well said. Bowerman needs to take a leaf from Grigg's book, who reacted to a kick up the backside and starting putting in some effort. Your turn, when you get the chance George. And yesterday was as good as any.

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Purkiss was a big miss yesterday. We never win without him in the team.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Happydays2122 wrote:Purkiss was a big miss yesterday. We never win without him in the team.

Good stat.

With Purkiss this season: P26 W14 D4 L8 Pts per game 1.77 - comfortable play-off form.

Without Purkiss this season: P12 W0 D7* L5 Points per game 0.58 - relegation certanties.

* counting the Port Vale penalty shoot off as a defeat

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season