Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (H) League 1 Saturday 16/2/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
PT
Site Addict

Re: Notts County (H) League 1 Saturday 16/2/13.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Bernie wrote:
Happydays2122 wrote:Purkiss was a big miss yesterday. We never win without him in the team.

Good stat.

With Purkiss this season: P26 W14 D4 L8 Pts per game 1.77 - comfortable play-off form.

Without Purkiss this season: P12 W0 D7* L5 Points per game 0.58 - relegation certanties.

* counting the Port Vale penalty shoot off as a defeat

It's like the exact opposite of an @Taundz. Should be in the curriculum - "what's the opposite of a Purkiss?" "Is it an @Taundz, sir?" "correct, go to the top of the class"

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm

County fans lived up to their reputation of being absolute shite, 700 odd, the 99 Colchester fans made more noise.

Never seen such an uninterested following in my life. They didn't even outsing us! :o

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Was an ugly game thanks to the pitch, to be fair we tried to play our style instead of lumping it up so we were positive and I think Patto was a nightmare for them he seems most dangerous when he has space in front of him it's if 2 players are closing in around him he seems to struggle more and picks the wrong option. I think Westcarr had a pretty decent overall game minus that horrific miss 1 on 1 with the keeper he could of placed it anywhere for the goal and the keeper didn't need to move just went right into him.

My only real negatives of the game were:
1) James Chambers he had a good game at Donny but he made a lot of errors and other players had to track to his position when he came more up field as he took longer to get back. I hope Purkiss is back soon as he is more solid and has a bigger attacking threat
2) George Bowerman the guy chased shadows and that is being generous his only real contribution was backheel into the box to Brandy, as was previously said the guy comes off cleaner then he comes on most the time. Needs to do a Grigg and pick up his attitude and play a bigger overall game or he will be a wasted talent.
3) DIVING! and it wasn't just Brandy for once, in the second half when we had the few opportunities we seemed to slow it down or move hoping for a challenge and going down for some horrificly weak efforts was embarrassing.
4) The Pitch

McLoughlin 6 - Nothing to say most their shots went over or wide so he had very little to do. Possibly should of came for the initial cross that lead to the goal but it looked a tough one to get.

J Chambers 5 - Couldn't cope with their wingers pace and was caught out on the break quite a few times as well as some mis placed passes. Day to forget for him.

Downing 6 - His passing was a little off and seemed a little more nervy but think the pitch didn't help and county seemed to try and exploit him and chambers.

Butler 7 - He made 2 or 3 errors but he sorted himself out after and put in a usual performance

Taylor 7.5 - solid as per usual and he ran well with the ball to give patto chance to run inside.

A Chambers 5.5 - he tracked all over the pitch especially to RB where his brother should of been, made some good tackles but not his best game

Mantom 4 - I barely realised he played chambers was the far more noticeable CM.

Westcarr 6 - Decent game should of took his chance and going for the penalty instead of the shot was a bit embarrassing. There was contact but not nearly enough and he was never going to get it after Brandys dive moments before.

Brandy 6 - had a few decent runs but certainly wasn't at his best and his dives were taking the pee at times.

Paterson 7 - When he has space he looks so dangerous, sometimes he tried to do to much though descion making needs working on and he needs more support when he goes on those runs as nobody keeps up with him.

Grigg 7 - Unlucky in the first half he had 1 cleared off the line and took another good chance, think his 1 on 1's need a little work but he looks a much better player these days.

Bowerman - Won't give him a rating, barely touched the ball and everytime he comes on I just think he doesn't look up to it. If he can get some more pace and contribute more to the overall play he would be ok but it seems like he is a striker and striker only give him the ball in the box he will shoot but gives nothing else to the team. Did have 1 very good backheel to Brandy in the box but other then that don't remember him doing anything really.

Although we rode our luck with some of their missed sitters if we play like we did in the first half against Brentford I reckon we could have a real chance there, it's the sloppies I wander about as anything can happen in a derby and the pitch desperately needs work.

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:06 am

Pah, I ask you to do one thing and you blew it :roll:

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:11 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Westcarr probably having his best game in a Walsall shirt today, probably becuase its against County.

Sunday mirror only gave him a 4!

Takes up better positions and uses posession better than Bexendale, I dont buy that what so ever sorry.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:13 am

Aldridge_saddler wrote:The ref is horrendous!

Totally agree, he wasn't the original ref, it should have been Brendan Malone but that pillock was Trevor Kettle.So he's that good he was just a reserve ref on Saturday.I think he missed a push on Mantom i think it was for their goal.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:Westcarr probably having his best game in a Walsall shirt today, probably becuase its against County.

Sunday mirror only gave him a 4!

Takes up better positions and uses posession better than Bexendale, I dont buy that what so ever sorry.

Read my previous posts in this thread arguing with Chestersaddler on how gash Westcarr is.

I posted at half time he was having a good game, second half he was his normal useless self and i was rite.

I was laughed at before the game for suggesting Smith has again upset the balance of the team by dropping Bexendale for that carthorse and it would cost us, which it did.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 am

I don't want to knock Westcarr too much because it was only last week he was supposed to have had a crucial role in us winning, but I thought he wasn't great on Saturday, especially in the second half. He didn't lack in effort but so much of our forward momentum was ruined when it got to him. I can understand Smith wanting a bit of presence up front but on a bog of a pitch it became apparent that we needed players with technique and unfortunately he has very little on the best of pitches. He'll do a job until the and of the season, but I wonder if he's the type to bring on rather than start with, ie he can put himself about a bit against tired opponents.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Bernie wrote:
Happydays2122 wrote:Purkiss was a big miss yesterday. We never win without him in the team.

Good stat.

With Purkiss this season: P26 W14 D4 L8 Pts per game 1.77 - comfortable play-off form.

Without Purkiss this season: P12 W0 D7* L5 Points per game 0.58 - relegation certanties.

Interesting. Never realised it was that clear cut.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:30 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Good stat.

It was obvious during the whole of our lean spell. That was my only criticism of Smith at the time. I don't know how injured Purkiss was, but his omission from the team was glaringly obvious, made more so by the fact @taundz was replacing him.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Purkiss is a marauding stallion!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:15 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Good stat.

It was obvious during the whole of our lean spell. That was my only criticism of Smith at the time. I don't know how injured Purkiss was, but his omission from the team was glaringly obvious, made more so by the fact @taundz was replacing him.

Correct. Smith's failure to address this is for me his single biggest failing of the season.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:22 am

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:Pah, I ask you to do one thing and you blew it :roll:

Sorry. :oops:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:09 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Bernie wrote:

Good stat.

On the standard of play, it was. I said from the start he was our best option at right back from the start and couldn't understand the criticism of him, other than the standard Walsall "hate the new boy". It's like those who were having a go at Brandy before he played!

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:51 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Highlights http://www1.skysports.com/football/live ... 3085/video

Would help the Magpies fans if they looked again at the penalty decision. Many were screaming at the linesman for offside when it is clear Paterson runs from an onside position. At least flare man got chucked straight out by a burly steward.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Who is that defender flying through the air?

Man up you berk.

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season