Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 2/2/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
wfc & chips
Glitterati

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 2/2/13.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:40 pm

nobody's claiming they all have reynaud's, my point is the claim "run about a bit, your hands will warm up" doesn't hold good in every instance. why should anyone be criticized for avoiding discomfort?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:33 am

They shouldn't. same as no fans should be critical of each other standing or sitting down, but the internet polarises viewpoints, and civil discourse generally takes a backseat. :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:12 am

Exile wrote:They shouldn't. same as no fans should be critical of each other standing or sitting down, but the internet polarises viewpoints, and civil discourse generally takes a backseat. :wink:

Oh, shut up! :x

:smile:

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Raynaud's Disease/Raynaud's Syndrome is indeed very unpleasant (I had an uncle who suffered from it). However, it is also quite rare, particularly among fit young professional sportsmen. Are you really suggesting that the plethora of players who wear gloves are ALL sufferers?

What bewilders many spectators is the practice of wearing gloves with exposed arms with a short-sleeved shirt - or, as I saw recently, a player wearing gloves and a long-sleeved shirt, with the sleeves rolled up!!! What is that all about?

Gloves, like snoods, are, in the vast majority of cases, merely a fashion item - nothing more and nothing less.

As someone else has pointed out, its the extremities that get cold and therefore it would seem perfectly reasonable to wear gloves but have short sleeves.

I'm basing this on personal experience. I go running in the hills. At races, you'll quite often see runners wearing vest and shorts but with a pair of gloves and, increasingly, a buff. You're protecting the core temperature and protecting the cold extremities. Once you get going, the rest takes care of itself!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:46 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Raynaud's Disease/Raynaud's Syndrome is indeed very unpleasant (I had an uncle who suffered from it). However, it is also quite rare, particularly among fit young professional sportsmen. Are you really suggesting that the plethora of players who wear gloves are ALL sufferers?

What bewilders many spectators is the practice of wearing gloves with exposed arms with a short-sleeved shirt - or, as I saw recently, a player wearing gloves and a long-sleeved shirt, with the sleeves rolled up!!! What is that all about?

Gloves, like snoods, are, in the vast majority of cases, merely a fashion item - nothing more and nothing less.

As someone else has pointed out, its the extremities that get cold and therefore it would seem perfectly reasonable to wear gloves but have short sleeves.

I'm basing this on personal experience. I go running in the hills. At races, you'll quite often see runners wearing vest and shorts but with a pair of gloves and, increasingly, a buff. You're protecting the core temperature and protecting the cold extremities. Once you get going, the rest takes care of itself!

Doesn't fit in with football's old stupid macho image of "we get frostbite and our fingers drop off, but we carry on", though, does it?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Whats wrong with not wanting cold hands? I dont see the problem.

Some of us get really cold hands when we run around! You know, all that cold air about. :roll:

Snoods were YGA though.

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season