Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 2/2/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 2/2/13.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Not the most fluid performance but dug in and ground out a well deserved win against a team that mirror their manager perfectly.

Chambers for MOTM surely?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:50 pm

tinned wrote:Chambers for MOTM surely?

Absolutely.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Just saw the goals on SSN - Paterson's first touch for his 2nd goal was remarkable and something I doubt you will see much at this level!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:03 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:A thoroughly professional performance on a bog of a pitch. My only gripe was the poor vocal support from our fans (congrats to the dozen that tried) the players deserved better, I was sat in line with the halfway line in the wheelchair area and if it wasnt for the Oldham fans im sure I would have heard a pin drop, is it the way the stands built or was it just a guano effort by the majority including the corpestand (the grave yard stand)?

The Oldham fans sang? Only heard them once after they scored and that was it.

As the for the attendance, I think there were a few extra everywhere in the ground today, even the family stand had more than the usual 20 odd in there, hopefully this will be a continual trend!

Solid performance, and as someone else said, this is a game we'd have lost just a few months back. Credit to the lads for showing the guts and delivering that result against a very big and dirty Oldham side.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:A thoroughly professional performance on a bog of a pitch. My only gripe was the poor vocal support from our fans (congrats to the dozen that tried) the players deserved better, I was sat in line with the halfway line in the wheelchair area and if it wasnt for the Oldham fans im sure I would have heard a pin drop, is it the way the stands built or was it just a guano effort by the majority including the corpestand (the grave yard stand)?

As the for the attendance, I think there were a few extra everywhere in the ground today, even the family stand had more than the usual 20 odd in there, hopefully this will be a continual trend!

Solid performance, and as someone else said, this is a game we'd have lost just a few months back. Credit to the lads for showing the guts and delivering that result against a very big and dirty Oldham side.

Yes they did abit not excessively but alot more than us, must be the Stadium then

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:22 pm

King Crimson wrote:
tinned wrote:Chambers for MOTM surely?

Absolutely.

Damn right

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:25 pm

A superb performance after an indifferent first 20 minutes.

The team performance IMHO.

McLoughlin 7 - Dealt with everything that came his way (apart from the goal - where I think he was left horribly exposed) with aplomb. A nice punch off the goal line under pressure and generally bossed his area.

Downing 6.5 - Poor first 20 minutes or so. Did a couple of cheeky shoves on Oldham attackers that had there fans screaming for penalties. Different ref may have given them. A good second half though and appeared just in the right places at the right time.

Butler 7 - A solid performance as ever. An enjoyable moment when held two attacking player by the scruff of the neck as they jostled during a corner

Taylor 7 - Showed that he was worth the contract. Committed and always looking to set up Paterson for a run.

Purkiss 8 - Another one that deserves a contract. His ball control was the best on the park today. No one's caught on yet that he is not the fastest of right backs and tried to exploit it. Some great defensive blocks.

Mantom 6.5 - A bit anonymous in the first half but improved in the second. Nothing spectacular but did the simple things well. Compliments Chambers.

Chambers 7 - Broke up lots of attacks but couldn't seem to put his foot on the ball and deliver a killer pass (am I being a bit harsh). A great work rate and enjoyed his cheeky back heeled flick that pbroke up an Oldham attack.

Baxendale 7 - Took his goal brilliantly from an acute angle. I expected it to hit the side netting (Good to see Brandy and Grigg attacking the goal line. If it hadn't gone in, Brandy would have got it). Some silky passing but ran out of steam after 70 minutes. Needs to work on his stamina.

Paterson 9 MOM - An excellent all round display. Can't recall a wasted ball or a bad decision today. Oldham defence couldn't handle him when he ran at them. Was chasing the ball all afternoon and even tried a few tackles!

Brandy 7 - Did some good runs and unlucky not to score. Though he should have done better against the lumps in the Oldham defence. I hope the leg injury isn't too bad. I think it was the same leg he did at Telford.

Grigg 7 - Team orders were to man mark him I think. Two players took it turns. That big lump of a number 5 who Grigg was never going to out muscle and an annoying twonk who wanted share Grigg's boots at set peices. Grigg should have scored a couple really. He had a free header in the first half that he should have buried. There were a couple of one on ones with keeper he should scored from as well. However, he got himself in the right positions and his work rate is to be applauded.

Westcarr 7 - I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and that he was a bit rusty as he seemed half a yard off the pace. I'm glad he is back though because he can play some killer passes. He put Paterson (or was it Grigg?) through with a fantastic pass to run on to. It deserved to be buried.

Chambers not on long enough to be rated but did make a welcome hoofed clearence when it was squeaky bum time at 2-1.

A great performance and a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon in the sun.

But just like when O'Kelly was here, it was nothing to do with Smith (he only does defeats). Well done Ned! :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

Great result! Well done the lads.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:48 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:Paterson 9 MOM - An excellent all round display. Can't recall a wasted ball or a bad decision today. Oldham defence couldn't handle him when he ran at them. Was chasing the ball all afternoon and even tried a few tackles!

I thought there were a fair few bad decisions made by Paterson today, but that's just part of his game at the age he is. One shot springs to mind, when he could have played Taylor clean through on goal instead. Still, if we didn't get the od bad decision, we probably wouldn't get the moments of brilliance like the turn for his second goal.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:58 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:A superb performance after an indifferent first 20 minutes.

The team performance IMHO.

McLoughlin 7 - Dealt with everything that came his way (apart from the goal - where I think he was left horribly exposed) with aplomb. A nice punch off the goal line under pressure and generally bossed his area.

Downing 6.5 - Poor first 20 minutes or so. Did a couple of cheeky shoves on Oldham attackers that had there fans screaming for penalties. Different ref may have given them. A good second half though and appeared just in the right places at the right time.

Butler 7 - A solid performance as ever. An enjoyable moment when held two attacking player by the scruff of the neck as they jostled during a corner

Taylor 7 - Showed that he was worth the contract. Committed and always looking to set up Paterson for a run.

Purkiss 8 - Another one that deserves a contract. His ball control was the best on the park today. No one's caught on yet that he is not the fastest of right backs and tried to exploit it. Some great defensive blocks.

Mantom 6.5 - A bit anonymous in the first half but improved in the second. Nothing spectacular but did the simple things well. Compliments Chambers.

Chambers 7 - Broke up lots of attacks but couldn't seem to put his foot on the ball and deliver a killer pass (am I being a bit harsh). A great work rate and enjoyed his cheeky back heeled flick that pbroke up an Oldham attack.

Baxendale 7 - Took his goal brilliantly from an acute angle. I expected it to hit the side netting (Good to see Brandy and Grigg attacking the goal line. If it hadn't gone in, Brandy would have got it). Some silky passing but ran out of steam after 70 minutes. Needs to work on his stamina.

Paterson 9 MOM - An excellent all round display. Can't recall a wasted ball or a bad decision today. Oldham defence couldn't handle him when he ran at them. Was chasing the ball all afternoon and even tried a few tackles!

Brandy 7 - Did some good runs and unlucky not to score. Though he should have done better against the lumps in the Oldham defence. I hope the leg injury isn't too bad. I think it was the same leg he did at Telford.

Grigg 7 - Team orders were to man mark him I think. Two players took it turns. That big lump of a number 5 who Grigg was never going to out muscle and an annoying twonk who wanted share Grigg's boots at set peices. Grigg should have scored a couple really. He had a free header in the first half that he should have buried. There were a couple of one on ones with keeper he should scored from as well. However, he got himself in the right positions and his work rate is to be applauded.

Westcarr 7 - I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and that he was a bit rusty as he seemed half a yard off the pace. I'm glad he is back though because he can play some killer passes. He put Paterson (or was it Grigg?) through with a fantastic pass to run on to. It deserved to be buried.

Chambers not on long enough to be rated but did make a welcome hoofed clearence when it was squeaky bum time at 2-1.

A great performance and a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon in the sun.

But just like when O'Kelly was here, it was nothing to do with Smith (he only does defeats). Well done Ned! :roll:

I'd agree with alot of that. Thought Chambers was probably MOM and Paterson's 9 could be a little high, but then he's in the team for moments of magic and he had two today so maybe it is right. Oh and 7 for Westcarr.... hmmm.

Obviously we win with O'Kelly, he leaves and we lose, and Ned comes in a we win. The usual bellends will be after Smith again. :lol:

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:24 pm

I think we chose to attack the home end first because the sun was low and shining in the keepers eyes. I guess that's why we were playing so many high balls forward in the first 20 minutes. Good idea in theory, but it didn't work out in practice.

We did better when the sun went down.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:05 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
Wyrley_saddler wrote:

Yes they did abit not excessively but alot more than us, must be the Stadium then

Sang much more than us, for their numbers they were cack though, we were just as poor as ever really.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:12 pm

DYSaddler wrote:
SaddlerCraig wrote:Was hard to tell in the Tile choice to be honest but I do hope the figures about right it would be great for us to have that extra few hundred in as it could be the difference between tying someone down to a contract now or having to be their last resort in the summer.

Absolutely mate and hopefully it may start to sneak over 5,000 if performances continue to impress people. Definitely more in both lower and upper though.

According to the Oldham OS, there were 459 away fans today. This means 4,213 Saddlers, comfortably the best home turnout so far this season by over 600, and the best overall since the Wendies came to town on Boxing Day 2011 [4,880].

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:21 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:
SaddlerCraig wrote:Was hard to tell in the Tile choice to be honest but I do hope the figures about right it would be great for us to have that extra few hundred in as it could be the difference between tying someone down to a contract now or having to be their last resort in the summer.

Absolutely mate and hopefully it may start to sneak over 5,000 if performances continue to impress people. Definitely more in both lower and upper though.

According to the Oldham OS, there were 459 away fans today. This means 4,213 Saddlers, comfortably the best home turnout so far this season by over 600, and the best overall since the Wendies came to town on Boxing Day 2011 [4,880].

If that is right then it is well deserved. The club has done well in January in various areas and the team is serving up some good entertainment.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:56 am

Sexual football, I can feel it in me pipes

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 am

WarsawPact wrote:I think we chose to attack the home end first because the sun was low and shining in the keepers eyes. I guess that's why we were playing so many high balls forward in the first 20 minutes. Good idea in theory, but it didn't work out in practice.

My nephew said the same. Are we really that clever?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:30 am

WarsawPact wrote:I think we chose to attack the home end first because the sun was low and shining in the keepers eyes. I guess that's why we were playing so many high balls forward in the first 20 minutes. Good idea in theory, but it didn't work out in practice.

They say it changes when the sun goes down

Around here...

And what a mullet man
Just give him half a chance
I bet he'll charge you if he can
Can see it in his eyes yeah
That he's got a pension plan
Amongst some other tax-efficient assets...

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:07 am

DonningtonSaddler wrote:

Pretty easy to work out if we decided or not (I couldn't go yesterday) If we kicked off the first half then they chose, if they did then we chose. Or at least that's how it used to work.

Fine win, nice to bounce back after a defeat. Super Saddlers.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:03 am

DonningtonSaddler wrote:

Sadly it doesn't matter which end we attack 1st or 2nd half. It ain't Fellows Park is it.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 am

Exile wrote:

They say it changes when the sun goes down

Around here...

And what a mullet man
Just give him half a chance
I bet he'll charge you if he can
Can see it in his eyes yeah
That he's got a pension plan
Amongst some other tax-efficient assets...

cos he's a scumbag dont you know :D

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:07 am

Top reports from boringteacher and WFC Rob.... Saves me writing much the same :-)

Oldham were so dirty I thought Graham Westley had taken them over. Barnard should not have been on the pitch when he scored after that awful elbow on Taylor...

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:21 am

Good work from everybody after a very shaky first 20 minutes.

Chambers was absolutely amazing. Also, since the Lincoln debacle on November 13th, we've lost only three.

Not bad...

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Since the Lincoln debacle on November 13th, we've lost only three.

Not bad...

PERIOD

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:30 am

King Crimson wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Since the Lincoln debacle on November 13th, we've lost only three.

Not bad...

PERIOD

Tampons removed and eaten.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:39 am

We are going up.

mossa

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:52 am

I have a season ticket and usually make the trip from Tamworth on my own. Yesterday 5 of my mates decided they would come along to see "little Walsall". After 25 minutes i was quite embarrased by our performance but after that we got into the game and never really looked back. Everyone of out players had a good second half I thought and as other have said Paterson and Chambers were definately our best 2 players. However for me Paterson was definately MOTM, he tormented Oldham all afternoon, as well as his 2 brilliant goals he played a peach of a ball for Grigg which he should have probably scored. That is without doubt the best game I have seen Paterson have for us, truly outstanding. I thought Chambers was fairly mediocre first half but his second half performance was brilliant. He tackled well and even looked dangerous going forward. The last 2 months In my opinion Chambers has been our best player, he has pretty much every game been in our top 2-3 players every game.

Better attendance, another win and playoffs are in sight. I wake up a very proud saddler this morning.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:20 pm

Excellent result.

Positives for me are:

The manager has options and there is genuine competition for places in the starting eleven
Flo not being as badly missed as we all thought
Came back from a goal down to win and didn't let the lead slip
3 goals scored
Signs that a few lapsed fans are starting to drift back

Happy days

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:30 pm

DYSaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Just shows you how you can see things differently, as I thought that was an immense 10 minutes from Westcarr, including an incredible pass to set Paterson up for a one and one that he missed. Chambers was MOM fir me - incredible second half

It's a game of opinions mate, I respect anyone's opinion on a player, I personally don't rate Westcarr that's all.

Try being objective and you might change your mind. When we have a view or belief, our brains filter information in order to support our views (religion being a good example). So because you do not rate Westcarr, the chances are that you will focus on any negative aspects of his play rather than the positives.

Westcarr has been involved in the majority of games during this successful run and was not in the team last week when we lost at Colchester - these are facts not opinions.

Whoever coined that unfortunate phrase did the game a disservice- football is a game of facts for the most part.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:33 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Just shows you how you can see things differently, as I thought that was an immense 10 minutes from Westcarr, including an incredible pass to set Paterson up for a one and one that he missed. Chambers was MOM fir me - incredible second half

It's a game of opinions mate, I respect anyone's opinion on a player, I personally don't rate Westcarr that's all.

Try being objective and you might change your mind. When we have a view or belief, our brains filter information in order to support our views (religion being a good example). So because you do not rate Westcarr, the chances are that you will focus on any negative aspects of his play rather than the positives.

Westcarr has been involved in the majority of games during this successful run and was not in the team last week when we lost at Colchester - these are facts not opinions.

Whoever coined that unfortunate phrase did the game a disservice- football is a game of facts for the most part.

Indeed. Somebody was jibbing at Westcarr as soon as he came on. He then held up the ball quite well up their end of the pitch and helped set someone away for a chance.

Star of the team? Not a chance. He's a job-doer doing his job adequately.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:07 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:

At the same time you will have an opinion on a performance, and I will have an opinion, not neccesarily the same one - everybody sees things differently apart from the blinding obvious - I don't agree with your view that I only see negative aspects of Westcarr's play, I'm the type of person to give anybody a chance over a period of games when they have a Walsall shirt on. My opinion is simply this, I don't see Westcarr as an integral part of this team, people will agree whereas people will also disagree, that's life.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season