Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 2/2/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 2/2/13.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:09 pm

I don't think anybody has ever said that he is integral, they've just been saying that he does his role well.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I don't think anybody has ever said that he is integral, they've just been saying that he does his role well.

Like i say I respect people's opinions - that's the type of person I am :)

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:20 pm

mossa wrote:I have a season ticket and usually make the trip from Tamworth on my own. Yesterday 5 of my mates decided they would come along to see "little Walsall". After 25 minutes i was quite embarrased by our performance but after that we got into the game and never really looked back. Everyone of out players had a good second half I thought and as other have said Paterson and Chambers were definately our best 2 players. However for me Paterson was definately MOTM, he tormented Oldham all afternoon, as well as his 2 brilliant goals he played a peach of a ball for Grigg which he should have probably scored. That is without doubt the best game I have seen Paterson have for us, truly outstanding. I thought Chambers was fairly mediocre first half but his second half performance was brilliant. He tackled well and even looked dangerous going forward. The last 2 months In my opinion Chambers has been our best player, he has pretty much every game been in our top 2-3 players every game.

Better attendance, another win and playoffs are in sight. I wake up a very proud saddler this morning.

So Mossa, what did your Tamworth mates make of watching "little Walsall"?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:30 pm

DYSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Just shows you how you can see things differently, as I thought that was an immense 10 minutes from Westcarr, including an incredible pass to set Paterson up for a one and one that he missed. Chambers was MOM fir me - incredible second half

It's a game of opinions mate, I respect anyone's opinion on a player, I personally don't rate Westcarr that's all.

Try being objective and you might change your mind. When we have a view or belief, our brains filter information in order to support our views (religion being a good example). So because you do not rate Westcarr, the chances are that you will focus on any negative aspects of his play rather than the positives.

Westcarr has been involved in the majority of games during this successful run and was not in the team last week when we lost at Colchester - these are facts not opinions.

Whoever coined that unfortunate phrase did the game a disservice- football is a game of facts for the most part.

At the same time you will have an opinion on a performance, and I will have an opinion, not neccesarily the same one - everybody sees things differently apart from the blinding obvious - I don't agree with your view that I only see negative aspects of Westcarr's play, I'm the type of person to give anybody a chance over a period of games when they have a Walsall shirt on. My opinion is simply this, I don't see Westcarr as an integral part of this team, people will agree whereas people will also disagree, that's life.

DY - I don't know if you do or don't see the only the negative aspects of his play, just pointing out that it is the way our brains work to look for evidence which reinforces our beliefs.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:58 pm

I suspect the same fans who were blind to Macken's ability on the ball because all they could see was his lack of pace, are the same ones who cant see what Westcarr does.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:07 pm

latviancheese wrote:I suspect the same fans who were blind to Macken's ability on the ball because all they could see was his lack of pace, are the same ones who cant see what Westcarr does.

Difference between Macken and Westcarr....2 strikers, allegedly, erm, one was a quality footballer who held the ball up well and knew where the net was, the other being an average player who does a bit of link up play and doesn't know how to score. :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
latviancheese wrote:I suspect the same fans who were blind to Macken's ability on the ball because all they could see was his lack of pace, are the same ones who cant see what Westcarr does.

Difference between Macken and Westcarr....2 strikers, allegedly, erm, one was a quality footballer who held the ball up well and knew where the net was, the other being an average player who does a bit of link up play and doesn't know how to score. :lol:

Average yes. Effective for us, yes.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:00 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:

Exactly the point. He gives us something nobody else we have does.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:

Agree. Pleased that we resigned him, but I just hope we can sign a similar player who might be able to get a dozen goals a year. I thought that Baxendale might be the player, but I'm not sure after yesterday (not too bad but I was crying out for Brandy to come in off the wing).

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:06 pm

boringteacher wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
latviancheese wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:

Agree. Pleased that we resigned him, but I just hope we can sign a similar player who might be able to get a dozen goals a year. I thought that Baxendale might be the player, but I'm not sure after yesterday (not too bad but I was crying out for Brandy to come in off the wing).

Horses for courses. Depends if you want the ball held up (Westcarr), or extra pace (Baxendale). That could be dictated by the opponents style, personnel, or whether home or away. To have flexibility at our level is an unusual luxury.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:41 pm

I've got this theory* as to why match threads on here are shorter when Walsall win.

When we win, the crowd are more involved, so...
When we're winning they're more likely to sing to egg the team on, and...
When they sing and support the team they're more likely to be standing, so...
The people who normally post on here can't see the match and therefore don't comment, except...
When they start threads in another part of the forum to moan there instead. :mrgreen:

* - actually an untested hypothesis, much like catastrophic anthropogenic global warming, but if I say it often enough it'll be accepted as truth by people too stupid to question it**

** - :wink:

mossa

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:12 pm

So Mossa, what did your Tamworth mates make of watching "little Walsall"?[/quote]

They enjoyed it a lot thanks. They all support prem clubs so certain things were a bit of a shock such as Kev. They thought we played some good stuff second half and couldn't understand how Paterson was not playing at a higher level (I had to explain he doesn't play that well every week).

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Great to see Paterson's 2nd goal again, what a touch for his own run onto the keeper. His pass for Grigg's missed effort was special too.

Grigg could have had a hat trick yesterday but after what was a pretty grim first half hour or so, it was a very decent result.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 am

Made an absolute charlie of the defender. Cheeky oi oi

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:24 am

It wor quite Gazza against Hendry but it reminded me of it.

That defender is still out on the pitch now trying to work out where Patto is.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 am

Yeah, he's the only Walsall player who wears bloody gloves! And it wasn't that cold!

windowman
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 am

well thats it then,he wears gloves, was they black gloves tone

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Oh no, Gloves.

Whatever next, white boots!? :roll:

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:17 pm

it was pretty cold. some of us deal with raynauld's phenomenon. running about a bit doesn't warm our hands. i've heard this bollocks off people with no idea my whole life, & i'm sick of it.

cracking result btw! good to see we can battle when needed, as well as the pretty stuff.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:56 pm

wfc & chips wrote:it was pretty cold. some of us deal with raynauld's phenomenon. running about a bit doesn't warm our hands. i've heard this betties off people with no idea my whole life, & i'm sick of it.

cracking result btw! good to see we can battle when needed, as well as the pretty stuff.

Indeed. The wife has Raynauld's and its not fun. Don't see why people go on and on about it, anyway.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:07 pm

What about mittens?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Raynauld's or not, I've never understood this stupid obsession with not wearing gloves. So you WANT players to be distracted by something when they should be concentrating 100% on their game? If it's a distraction, it's not good. If they truly are cold, then that will sap their energy, which is also not good. Wear whatever you need to I reckon. To be fair, the neck things players wore last year did look daft (we call them "buffs", can't remember what they got called by the footballers) but you don't half lose a lot of heat from around your neck and modern football shirts rarely cover that area. If you need to wear one, do it!

Anyway, cracking win, fantastic goals and that first touch for the third one really was premier-class.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Raynaud's Disease/Raynaud's Syndrome is indeed very unpleasant (I had an uncle who suffered from it). However, it is also quite rare, particularly among fit young professional sportsmen. Are you really suggesting that the plethora of players who wear gloves are ALL sufferers?

What bewilders many spectators is the practice of wearing gloves with exposed arms with a short-sleeved shirt - or, as I saw recently, a player wearing gloves and a long-sleeved shirt, with the sleeves rolled up!!! What is that all about?

Gloves, like snoods, are, in the vast majority of cases, merely a fashion item - nothing more and nothing less.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:01 pm

although now middle-aged i've always been athletic, & only last year, while seeing a nurse, discovered reynauld's even existed. i'd always just put it down to poor circulation. but in either case your hands get cold through reduced blood flow, your forearms don't. besides, if players wanna wear gloves with shirt sleeves or snoods, so what? makes zero difference to my life, nor to those who complain about it.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

wfc & chips wrote:although now middle-aged i've always been athletic, & only last year, while seeing a nurse, discovered reynauld's even existed. i'd always just put it down to poor circulation. but in either case your hands get cold through reduced blood flow, your forearms don't. besides, if players wanna wear gloves with shirt sleeves or snoods, so what? makes zero difference to my life, nor to those who complain about it.

Absolutely spot on. It is extremities that get cold, not arms, and what the hell does it matter anyway?

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Match report AND POLL! now on the front page:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... -scousers/

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:although now middle-aged i've always been athletic, & only last year, while seeing a nurse, discovered reynauld's even existed. i'd always just put it down to poor circulation. but in either case your hands get cold through reduced blood flow, your forearms don't. besides, if players wanna wear gloves with shirt sleeves or snoods, so what? makes zero difference to my life, nor to those who complain about it.

Absolutely spot on. It is extremities that get cold, not arms, and what the hell does it matter anyway?

Sorry i spoke.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Raynaud's Disease/Raynaud's Syndrome is indeed very unpleasant (I had an uncle who suffered from it). However, it is also quite rare, particularly among fit young professional sportsmen. Are you really suggesting that the plethora of players who wear gloves are ALL sufferers?

What bewilders many spectators is the practice of wearing gloves with exposed arms with a short-sleeved shirt - or, as I saw recently, a player wearing gloves and a long-sleeved shirt, with the sleeves rolled up!!! What is that all about?

Gloves, like snoods, are, in the vast majority of cases, merely a fashion item - nothing more and nothing less.

You can't say that! They all suffer from Raynaulds disease, end of.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Think Shrops nails it best.

If it takes his mind off of cold hands and onto playing better, I couldn't give a fudge if he wore them in August.

Stupid fudge picking if you ask me.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season