Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 26/1/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 26/1/13.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:16 pm

It's one of those things, and today sums up what football is all about. The super run was due to come to an end at some stage and without being at the game today it sounds like it was very much a game of 2 halves and sounds like we really missed Brandy. The main aim for WFC now is to keep key players this week - resist any offers and get back to winning ways next Saturday against Oldham. 50 points is still the main target, February looks a potentially difficult month bar next week but hopefully those 50pts should be achieved by mid March if not earlier. Today's result is far from a disaster, still in the top half of the table and given the terrible run before xmas I think most fans would have taken the current position we are in.

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 pm

Just back and all I can say is that rather than thinking " we couldn't squeeze into the play offs could we?" , its most definitely just about securing those final couple of wins for safety .

Poor pretty much all the way through . Mystifying to have Featherstone in the attacking midfield role , he looked lost. Patterson had a lot of the ball , started brightly with a good ball to Baxendale with our only chance but his distribution was increasingly poor , he doesn't look up enough , and plays it where he thinks someone might happen to be.

A howler from Downing for the first goal , woefully underhit pack pass . Would like to see it again , not sure how much fault should be attached to the Rectangle in goal , but he almost landed us in it in the first half coming to the edge of his box and colliding with Butler when he should have stayed in nets .

The only one who might scrape above 6 out of 10 was Chambers who again was always involved , and looked determined and energetic.

Poor , very very poor. Lets hope we don't now have the fourth section of our season to complete the symmetry , of a 16 match win less run , coz we would need 9 draws at least!

We badly missed Brandy , lets hope he returns with a spark in a winnable home game next week.

Smith took far too long to make changes today , it was obvious the game was heading the wrong way with about 30 minutes left . He should have taken it by the scruff of the neck and changed a shape which simply didn't work today.

Lets hope he employs an assistant with a brain.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:34 pm

kshammer wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Good points for the 'U's' but a SHOCKING result for us, the management should give a refund to all the supporters who stupidly made the trip down there, disgusting result, against a very poor team, with one exception....Jabo, who aught to be wearing a Walsall shirt again....great opportunity missed.

You talk more guano than everybody on this board combined.

And that is a lot of guano... you're not wrong though.

Thanx kids, you lot make my day!! :D :D :D

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:48 pm

Didn't Smith notice that we were basically playing the whole of the 2nd half with 10 men due to his bizarre usage of Featherstone as the main attacking support for Grigg.
It was totally unfair to Featherstone, who does not have the qualities for this role.
If Smith had reacted to this instead of being content to watch it fail until the game was a good as lost, then we would have probably come away with at least a point today.

SWS1

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Very disappointed after such a great (and pleasurable) run: hope this is just a glitch. According to the BBC we "dominated the game until Colchester scored" but this is not the message I'm getting from UTSers. It is a bit worrying that poor (or too late) substitutions and/or poor team choices may have played a part, immediately after O'Kelly put the skis on. People who know have consistently criticised DS's substitutions (and general tactics). Worrying. :( But, Hey! we're still in the top half and 15 points from the black hole. Glass half full :)

mossa

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Poor result and by the sound of it poor performance today as well. However providing we respond well no real harm done. Very strange decision to play Featherstone in an attacking role, surely would have been better to play Hemmings on the left, Baxendale in his preferred position in the centre. I would have given Hemmings a pep talk before the game and let him know the importance of this game and how he can become an important player if he applies himself. The problem is without Brandy is that we have no pace in the team and only Hemmings on the bench has pace. He definately has ability, just doesn't look interested lately.
However i'm not going to slate Smith too much, his done well lately.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:51 pm

mossa wrote:Poor result and by the sound of it poor performance today as well. However providing we respond well no real harm done. Very strange decision to play Featherstone in an attacking role, surely would have been better to play Hemmings on the left, Baxendale in his preferred position in the centre. I would have given Hemmings a pep talk before the game and let him know the importance of this game and how he can become an important player if he applies himself. The problem is without Brandy is that we have no pace in the team and only Hemmings on the bench has pace. He definately has ability, just doesn't look interested lately.
However i'm not going to slate Smith too much, his done well lately.

Without having been there to see it, I'm inclined to agree with all that.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:00 pm

well im glad ive done a 360 mile round trip to what was one of the most awful games ever known to mankind.

cant rememeber any creditavle attack or shot on target for whold 90 mins.

wont be doing that again in a hurry

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:well im glad ive done a 360 mile round trip to what was one of the most awful games ever known to mankind.

cant rememeber any creditavle attack or shot on target for whold 90 mins.

wont be doing that again in a hurry

I admire you for this.

The only consolation is that days like these make the good times great.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Just got back, and there is only two words to describe the performance.

Lethargic, and HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF.

McLoughclin: 6, had not much to do, did what he had to well but was pretty helpless with the goals as the defence sort of abandoned him.

Purkiss: 5, slow, of the beat, was not the normal Purkiss.
Downing: 5, headed well but got caught out with the ball on the ground on more than one occasion, as well as making a couple bizare decisions. Such as booting the ball out for a corner when he could of just sent it out for a throw in, hoofed the ball up a hell of a lot more than usual too.
Butler: 5, headed well again, just got caught on the break a lot when he had gone up pitch for a header - if I recall both of their goals came from a rapid counter attack that hammered us.
Benning: 7, put himself about, made a few brilliant crosses and defended well - as well as making some neat runs and clever passes, very impressed.

Baxendale: 6, made a few clever runs, and should of scored from one in the first half, but he was very ineffective as he would just get stopped dead in his tracks by the Colchester defence.
Mantom: 5, he was just sort of there, he passed the ball and that was it, didn't stand out at all, barely noticed him.
Chambers: 8, worked his arse off, he got stuck in and put in so many tackles, nifty passes and important interceptions - too bad nobody else seemed bothered to move.
Paterson: 5, he had so much potential to be a great player - but I don't think I need to describe a cold Paterson performance, blind alleys, poor passes etc...

Featherstone: 4, not entirely Nicky's fault but my god was he useless - Dean Smith did play him completely out of position and in return he seemed to do absolutely nothing, no link up play, in fact I don't remember him doing anything but pass backwards and get stampeded by the center halves. This was the completely wrong decision to make with Brandy out of the team, even though Hemmings is dire, him on the left and Baxendale behind Grigg would of been MILES better than this.
Grigg: 6, feed the Grigg and he will either fall over or score - when he was fed we got a free kick and maybe a half decent chance, but he left on light stomach because nothing but HOOOOOOF'S from every other player on the pitch came to him.

We really did miss Brandy, and Dean Smith must of been on the Brandy to play Featherstone there. Even worse was that he refused to make a substitution until it was too late and we were a goal down, our game plan wasn't working for an entire half, so why on earth he waited 80 minutes to make a change I will never know. It's better to just forget this ever happened, and move on with Brandy back in the team.
Last edited by JonnyOwen on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:52 pm

Is this Brandy guy people talk about the same lad who people on this board were hammering at the start of the season - "he offers nothing" "should be non-league with hemmings" i recall some of the comments along those lines... :roll:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Not long got in, a fine day out, fudge the result.

Poor result if we are talking about that irrelevant thing anyway, but what can you do, bad day at the office, never got going, wish I pissed 20 odd quid in the boozer instead.

Uts.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:28 am

Not surprised by the result we are terrible in Essex.
Results in Essex the last 10yrs,
Colchester,
Lost 5
Drawn 1
Won 1.
Southend.
Lost 3
Drawn 1
Dagenham.
Drawn 2.
One win in 13 games .

UTS Legend

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:14 am

Worsul wrote:I'm with the others. Should be an easy win. Just like Carlisle, Bury, Lincoln, Scunthorpe, Hartlepool.

Some people never learn not take anything for granted. I'd be delighted with a draw and a decent performance.

UTS

Prophetic

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:23 am

A really disappointing performance - we badly missed Brandy's pace.
Grigg was far too isolated. Patterson immensely frustrating, he played some good stuff - including the best move of the match where a great reverse pass set Baxendale free with an opportunity he should have given the keeper no chance with - but also too many overhit passes which no one had got any chance of getting on to.
Chambers had another excellent game and Benning stood out too.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 am

The higher up the game you go so the margins become ever more tighter.

During the bad run there were games that we came out just the wrong side of some very tight games that you could argue we were unlucky to lose. Similarly, during the recent good run there were some tight games that result-wise we shaded but were perhaps looked fortunate to take the three points.

The real difference though is those key moments going forward and defending. This is often determined by the confidence of the players which itself is boosted by knowing how we play, the balance of the side and trusting your colleagues to do their job. When the fit Brandy appeared in the autumn these things clicked into place. We attacked with pace and purpose and whilst quite diminutive, Brandy gave us an "out-ball" that meant that we could go a bit more direct knowing that the ball would stick, he'd win a free-kick or produce a bit of magic that would get us the other side of their defence. Brandy also works his rocks off and isn't afraid to get stuck in (hence a disciplinary record that is really poor for a bloke who plays that role).

When the player who has brought such an important balance to the side both in terms of how we set up and his individual contribution is missing as he was yesterday, I'd always favour going with "the most similar thing" in the squad. Keep the shape, keep the tactics and formation. Don't complicate anything for the other 10 players. Don't give them an excuse not to perform, don't disturb their mental positivity and don't fill their heads with needless complication.

As others have said, Hemmings is "most similar thing" we have in the squad. On performances to date he isn't as good but he has shown some spark and quality at times. So if he'd have given us 80% of a Brandy but the rest of the side maintained their levels then that would have given us a better chance than playing a completely different type of player in a different shape. The rest of the side then needs to accommodate this change in the way they play, in other words, the change affects everybody.

Maybe yes then, a "bad day at the office". I wasn't there so can't really comment on how the change did manifest itself in how we played. But I think we gave that bad day every chance of happening

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 am

It's a philosophy that Graydon bought with him, make things simple, make sure everyone knows there job, or for people who don't like Graydon being harped on about all the time, Brian Clough used this his whole managerial career too. Anyway, Graydon moved away from this several times after the first two seasons, and the cracks always began to show. Thinking back towards to even someone as woeful as Merson, we had that great run towards the end of his first season, and okay we bought in a couple of quality players (Joachim and Surman) but for once in the whole season, we played the same system, and players when possible, and all of a sudden we looked like a team.

I think that is the most notable thing about our upturn in form of late, we looked like a team again, each player had a job, they all looked like they knew what they were meant to be doing. Not going to get to disheartened by one bad result, and it is a bad result by the way, they have been in awful form, I would have expected us to get at least a point, but that's football, next week is another game, and hopefully we can get back to our best again.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 am

Was out all day yesterday so didn't listen to the commentary. Sounds like we were not at the races compared with recent weeks.

I saw the home game v Colchester and they didn't seem as bad as their recent run would suggest.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:34 am

I thought we would struggle as soon as I saw the starting eleven.

Chambers, Mantom and Feathersone? Incredibly defensive midfield to put out against a poor team who have lost nine on the spin! Too much graft not enough innovation.

We didn't really need further proof, but Smith clearly doesn't rate and/or trust Bowerman, won't even start him against a dire team like Colchester.

This result really sums Walsall up!

Ah well if we avoid being in a relegation dog fight we've had a decent enough season. Still it's a very weak division this year and with a little bit more investment and some better management at times, we could have had a realistic crack at promotion.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Can we hurry up and sign Westcarr please?

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:00 pm

DYSaddler wrote:Is this Brandy guy people talk about the same lad who people on this board were hammering at the start of the season - "he offers nothing" "should be non-league with hemmings" i recall some of the comments along those lines... :roll:

thats the one,why did you see anything else ? great this hindsight thingy ayit,wheres this roll eyes ,here it is :roll:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:03 pm

DYSaddler wrote:Is this Brandy guy people talk about the same lad who people on this board were hammering at the start of the season - "he offers nothing" "should be non-league with hemmings" i recall some of the comments along those lines... :roll:

Yes, DY I was one of those after seeing some appalling games from both players. The 'good' thing is, that Brandy woke to his situation, and I would now liken him to a Defoe 'lookie likee' (tainted by a slightly woefull disciplinary record) He has deffo made a great impact on our side, yesterdays result confirming that somewhat! Hemming on the other hand............

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Yes, DY I was one of those after seeing some appalling games from both players.

Which "appalling games" did you "see" Brandy have for us? He only made his full debut for us at Crawley nine weeks ago. So which of his substitute cameos at the start of the season convinced you he was tat? There were only a few where he played more than ten minutes or so - shouldn't be difficult to remember. Or perhaps your negative assessment of Brandy is more of a recent thing. Which of the eleven games that he has started for us recently upset you the most? He's scored in five of them so that narrows it down a bit.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Brandy came to us with an record of not having scored for about three years, but I for one was always impressed by him. I think that Smith was very slow to give him a run in the side.

I would add that I think Smith was far too quick to cast both Hemmings and Bowerman into the outer darkness of the subs-bench. As a winger Hemmings is likely to be inconsistent - but being inconsistent has not been any problem for our ever-present Jamie Paterson. And now that Grigg is being a bit more dominant up-front he and Bowerman could make a better partnership.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:57 pm

windowman wrote:

thats the one,why did you see anything else ? great this hindsight thingy ayit,wheres this roll eyes ,here it is :roll:

yeah, 1st time i saw him come on, he struck me as exciting, pacy, skilful & combative. still got the excitable texts about him i sent to absent friends. next time, he made 1 scintillating run, got clipped, tried to run off an injury that ultimately kept him out for weeks. bewilderingly, next thing i'm reading on here his attitude sucks. weirdly, everyone around me thought he looked promising too. i still fail to understand where that unwarranted criticism came from.

gray
Glitterati

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:29 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Good points for the 'U's' but a SHOCKING result for us, the management should give a refund to all the supporters who stupidly made the trip down there

Maybe I am stupid, but I probably had a better day than you did say in front of your computer screen.

I don't think we played that badly. We controlled the midfield but had no creativity going forward. The game would have been different if Brandy was playing. Colchester didn't offer anything, their goal came from Jabo charging down the keeper and their 2nd came as a result of us stretching to score the equaliser.

One disapointment for me was a few fans getting on Patterson's back. He didn't have a great game but still had more influence on the game most. I really don't see the point in abusing a local young player who is one of our best. It'll be interesting to see how we bounce back from this against Oldham. UTS!

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:40 pm

wfc & chips wrote:
windowman wrote:

yeah, 1st time i saw him come on, he struck me as exciting, pacy, skilful & combative. still got the excitable texts about him i sent to absent friends. next time, he made 1 scintillating run, got clipped, tried to run off an injury that ultimately kept him out for weeks. bewilderingly, next thing i'm reading on here his attitude sucks. weirdly, everyone around me thought he looked promising too. i still fail to understand where that unwarranted criticism came from.

to be quite truthfull,as a season ticket holder and do about 25-30% away games i had not seen that much of brandy to make much of a judgement,hes certainly done well the last couple of months, but like i say hindsight is a great thing,you could remove the name brandy from dy rolling eye comment and insert most of our squad inc smith, and it would still apply,anyway i dont seem to remember much knocking of brandy on here,not to the scale of grigg, groff and hemmings anyway

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 pm

We certainly missed Brandy yesterday, no pace up top (apart from Paterson who was an utter shower of selfish cack all game and should have been subbed), Grigg was in their defences pockets', and getting it lamped up to him all game didn't help.

What a depressive away day it is as well, the ground itself ain't too bad and to be fair to their supporters they were louder than ever are at home. Had to pay full whack too because I couldn't pass for an under 18 nor under 21. barclays.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Bernie wrote:Brandy came to us with an record of not having scored for about three years, but I for one was always impressed by him. I think that Smith was very slow to give him a run in the side.

I would add that I think Smith was far too quick to cast both Hemmings and Bowerman into the outer darkness of the subs-bench. As a winger Hemmings is likely to be inconsistent - but being inconsistent has not been any problem for our ever-present Jamie Paterson. And now that Grigg is being a bit more dominant up-front he and Bowerman could make a better partnership.

Spot on assessment Bernie - can't really fault anything you have said there apart from the Bowerman issue - he had a decent month but I still don't see what he brings to the team unfortunately.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:19 pm

windowman wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:
windowman wrote:

to be quite truthfull,as a season ticket holder and do about 25-30% away games i had not seen that much of brandy to make much of a judgement,hes certainly done well the last couple of months, but like i say hindsight is a great thing,you could remove the name brandy from dy rolling eye comment and insert most of our squad inc smith, and it would still apply,anyway i dont seem to remember much knocking of brandy on here,not to the scale of grigg, groff and hemmings anyway

except hindsight's nothing to do with it, i'm saying, from the admittedly limited amount we saw of him, i & those around me thought he looked the part from the off. really i don't see how he warranted any criticism.

people are too blinkered by results instead of looking at performances i reckon, so during the winless run we were supposedly uniformly crap, whereas in truth their were some dismal performances, but also good ones. i recall walking out after the opening donny game, a heavy defeat, more optimistic about the season ahead than i've felt for a few years. 1 defeat & there's people on here fretting about relegation.

not saying that's you, windows, just amazed at people veering between black & white with no grey inbetween.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season