Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 26/1/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
wfc & chips
Glitterati

Re: Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 26/1/13.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:36 pm

Bernie wrote:Brandy came to us with an record of not having scored for about three years, but I for one was always impressed by him. I think that Smith was very slow to give him a run in the side.

I would add that I think Smith was far too quick to cast both Hemmings and Bowerman into the outer darkness of the subs-bench. As a winger Hemmings is likely to be inconsistent - but being inconsistent has not been any problem for our ever-present Jamie Paterson. And now that Grigg is being a bit more dominant up-front he and Bowerman could make a better partnership.

you didn't come across as impressed in the vale thread!;-)

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:37 pm

We're a bang average League One team. Bang average League One teams have days like yesterday when, by all accounts, we were a shadow of the side that started the new year so well. If we'd established some kind of consistency by October time, we'd probably be a top six side at the moment - but we didn't, so we're not.
As long as the manager and his players recognise that yesterday wasn't good enough and do something about it, we'll be fine.

I'm not going to knock Smith too much after one defeat, but did Featherstone really play just behind Grigg? Surely that's where Baxendale should have played? I agree with Bernie in that Smith's treatment of Hemmings and Bowerman could have been better. Bad attitudes or not, we realistically have a squad of around 15 capable players who we should be able to call upon to do a job in their preferred position when required.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:02 pm

wfc & chips wrote:except hindsight's nothing to do with it, i'm saying, from the admittedly limited amount we saw of him, i & those around me thought he looked the part from the off. really i don't see how he warranted any criticism.

He didn't warrant criticism but he still got it. Brandy suffered by association during the winless run because he fitted neatly into the accepted wisdom that Smith and O'Kelly had signed useless midgets associated with a team relegated to the Conference.

He had actually played very little football at all for us before the Crawley game. But he was another Hereford United dwarf and was therefore clearly another hopeless signing.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Bernie wrote:Brandy came to us with an record of not having scored for about three years, but I for one was always impressed by him. I think that Smith was very slow to give him a run in the side.

I would add that I think Smith was far too quick to cast both Hemmings and Bowerman into the outer darkness of the subs-bench. As a winger Hemmings is likely to be inconsistent - but being inconsistent has not been any problem for our ever-present Jamie Paterson. And now that Grigg is being a bit more dominant up-front he and Bowerman could make a better partnership.

Brandy took a knock at the friendly at Telford. I think he may have come back too soon because he certainly wasn't up to it in the early matches. At Shrewsbury he was useless and I posted so. However, he seemed to get more pacey as time went on so Iput his early poor form down to that injury.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:37 pm

bangsection wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:except hindsight's nothing to do with it, i'm saying, from the admittedly limited amount we saw of him, i & those around me thought he looked the part from the off. really i don't see how he warranted any criticism.

He didn't warrant criticism but he still got it. Brandy suffered by association during the winless run because he fitted neatly into the accepted wisdom that Smith and O'Kelly had signed useless midgets associated with a team relegated to the Conference.

He had actually played very little football at all for us before the Crawley game. But he was another Hereford United dwarf and was therefore clearly another hopeless signing.

Possibly something to do with more "Twitter Wars" When a fan was complaining after two and a half months without a win, his genius comment was " You weren't complaining in September" :lol:
Of course, everyone knows footballers are thick, so should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, footballers will get stick, sometimes they deserve it, sometimes they don't. You can either do a Grof, and sulk your way out of the club, or get on your high horse and do something about it. Brandy (and Grigg for that matter) did the latter, to their credit.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:52 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
bangsection wrote:

Possibly something to do with more "Twitter Wars" When a fan was complaining after two and a half months without a win, his genius comment was " You weren't complaining in September" :lol:
Of course, everyone knows footballers are thick, so should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, footballers will get stick, sometimes they deserve it, sometimes they don't. You can either do a Grof, and sulk your way out of the club, or get on your high horse and do something about it. Brandy (and Grigg for that matter) did the latter, to their credit.

sure that wasn't someone else? grigg maybe? agree regards grof, he deserves criticism, & hate to say it, super jim too, if what we read on here's true. hemmings doesn't seem to be busting a gut to achieve a career i the game either, although obviously i'm speculating.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:53 pm

IN the game

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Just back home after spending a pleasurable night with family in Suffolk . That helped ease the pain of the match and the travelling and it's a good job too as the game was a shocker. Did their keeper make a single save ? Think we will still be ok and finish the season fairly strongly but can't help thinking this season is a mossive missed opportunity . Sorting the Grof walker and Bowerman problems better might just have seen a shorter winless period and put us right in contention. Do think Smith needs a right hand man as priority too. He hardly entered the technical area yesterday and it was clear the players needed some guidance . Lets hope the s just a blip and typical Walsall beating he big boys then slipping up on the easier games. Fair play to fellow Saddlers there as it was blooming freezing too !!
Up the Saddlers forever :)

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:10 pm

wfc & chips wrote:

You didn't come across as impressed in the vale thread!;-)

Brandy was only on the pitch for 13 minutes plus stoppage time against Vale. I was very disappointed that he did not want to take one of the first five penalties in the shoot-out, I think he was the last to take one before Darlow, and then missed. To me that was poor for a striker.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:39 pm

I thought we were supposed to be a team transformed after our recent run of 5 wins in a row, we've just lost to a team that has lost 9 consecutive games prior to yesterdays game.

Smith < manager.

The only positive thing that came out of yesterday were two results, Bristol City @ 17/10 and Colchester @2/1 otherwise known as the O'Kelly effect.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Cully wrote:I thought we were supposed to be a team transformed after our recent run of 5 wins in a row, we've just lost to a team that has lost 9 consecutive games prior to yesterdays game.

That's football.. it happens, end of.

SWS1

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 pm

It was blewdy disappointing to lose late goals YET AGAIN. I'd love some Statto to work out how many points we've lost by conceding goals in the last 11 minutes* of normal time. You can SUBTRACT the number of points we've WON in the last 11 minutes to make it a fair comparison. Anyone done the maths? :?:

*That's so we can include yesterday's game as ONE POINT LOST to very late goals :wink:

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:01 am

Cully wrote:I thought we were supposed to be a team transformed after our recent run of 5 wins in a row, we've just lost to a team that has lost 9 consecutive games

I would argue that we haven't really been that transformed in terms of overall play we have just been more clinical and things have gone our way which it didn't on the bad run.
Preston and Bournemouth were great examples both 3-1 but we never really went out of second gear.
However the players look more up for it now because of that confidence.

I wasn't there today and I've heard they were not up for it today but they have been up for it a lot more lately so I am confident it will pick back up and get a good 3 points against oldham.

We all feared the worst a team on a bad run of form, near relegation with an ex player known for scoring goals it had all the signs of a walsall slip up really but we bounce back from these slip ups especially when Brandy is back in the team as he gives us that extra creative spark.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:43 am

Weren't ever going to win every game to the end of the season.

Will be interesting to see how the lads bounce back next match, mind you.

Onwards and upwards, head held high... :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:41 am

Exile wrote:Weren't ever going to win every game to the end of the season.

:shock:

:mrgreen:

gray
Glitterati

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:00 am

SaddlerCraig wrote:
Cully wrote:I thought we were supposed to be a team transformed after our recent run of 5 wins in a row, we've just lost to a team that has lost 9 consecutive games

I would argue that we haven't really been that transformed in terms of overall play we have just been more clinical and things have gone our way which it didn't on the bad run.

Yeah I think you're right. On Saturday our general play wasn't massively different to how it was against Bounemouth and Preston apart from the crucial thing of a good final pass and a finish. If we'd scored first I think we would have relaxed and played as well as we have done recently. As a young team its clear that if things don't start going our way early on we find it hard. Even against Preston when we were bossing the game at 2-0 I could see us drawing or losing if we conceded, when we scored the 3rd we played some of the best football I've seen us play in years.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:04 am

JonnyOwen wrote:Just got back, and there is only two words to describe the performance.

Lethargic, and HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF.

McLoughclin: 6, had not much to do, did what he had to well but was pretty helpless with the goals as the defence sort of abandoned him.

Purkiss: 5, slow, of the beat, was not the normal Purkiss.
Downing: 5, headed well but got caught out with the ball on the ground on more than one occasion, as well as making a couple bizare decisions. Such as booting the ball out for a corner when he could of just sent it out for a throw in, hoofed the ball up a hell of a lot more than usual too.
Butler: 5, headed well again, just got caught on the break a lot when he had gone up pitch for a header - if I recall both of their goals came from a rapid counter attack that hammered us.
Benning: 7, put himself about, made a few brilliant crosses and defended well - as well as making some neat runs and clever passes, very impressed.

Baxendale: 6, made a few clever runs, and should of scored from one in the first half, but he was very ineffective as he would just get stopped dead in his tracks by the Colchester defence.
Mantom: 5, he was just sort of there, he passed the ball and that was it, didn't stand out at all, barely noticed him.
Chambers: 8, worked his arse off, he got stuck in and put in so many tackles, nifty passes and important interceptions - too bad nobody else seemed bothered to move.
Paterson: 5, he had so much potential to be a great player - but I don't think I need to describe a cold Paterson performance, blind alleys, poor passes etc...and not keeping his mouth shut.Kept berating the ref for a throw in that we should have had.Good God Jamie, it's a throw in! Get on with it

Featherstone: 4, not entirely Nicky's fault but my god was he useless - Dean Smith did play him completely out of position and in return he seemed to do absolutely nothing, no link up play, in fact I don't remember him doing anything but pass backwards and get stampeded by the center halves. This was the completely wrong decision to make with Brandy out of the team, even though Hemmings is dire, him on the left and Baxendale behind Grigg would of been MILES better than this.
Grigg: 6, feed the Grigg and he will either fall over or score - when he was fed we got a free kick and maybe a half decent chance, but he left on light stomach because nothing but HOOOOOOF'S from every other player on the pitch came to him.

We really did miss Brandy, and Dean Smith must of been on the Brandy to play Featherstone there. Even worse was that he refused to make a substitution until it was too late and we were a goal down, our game plan wasn't working for an entire half, so why on earth he waited 80 minutes to make a change I will never know. It's better to just forget this ever happened, and move on with Brandy back in the team.

Andy W Taylor
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:05 pm

First half we were the better team but struggled to create chances - mainly down to the pitch being pretty rough and not conducive to our preferred style of playing it on the floor, and also Colchester getting loads of bodies behind the ball so not much room to play through them (defence helped by the ball bouncing off divots when we did) and didn't manage to get in behind them very often.

Baxendale looked lost on the right wing - better when he cut inside. Grigg policed by the 2 centre halves and no service so hardly had a sniff unless he dropped deep or pulled off wide - meaning then no one in the danger area to give the ball to. Mantom looked threatening when running from deep until he got closed down but then no attacking support alongside him to keep it goingt - Featherstone was a fish out of water trying to play in the hole behind Grigg.

They were hardly in our half but Jabo held the ball up well when they did (always had to wait for support because they were all so deep) - never looked like scoring though. except for the time a long high ball was pumped to the the edge of the area and McLoughlin decided not to leave the 2 forwards to the 3 defenders but charged out into the crowd outside the box (luckily the resulting loose ball eluded their players or could have been embarassing).

Main reason they never got near was Chambers who more or less bossed the midfield on his own - won every tackle and was strong in possession. distrributed well and kept putting us back on the attack (or at least in their half with the ball).

Close to halftime Baxendale was put through but missed the back stick when only the keeper to beat and at least 2 other players available for a square ball or pull back. The only other incident of note was Paterson being pulled up by the ref for taking a quick thow a few yards from where he thought it should be taken. Letter of the law he was probably within his rights to award the throw to them rather than make us take it again but Paterson hadn't run yards with it, just took it where he caught it and too quick for ref to pull him back to the right spot. The consequence was Paterson started mouthing and stopped concentrating, leaving Benning 2 on 1 for a while. May have had cause to be aggrieved but doesn't excuse the lack of discipline - didn't seem like he got his head back right for the rest of the game.

At halftime thought that what we needed to do was either bring on Hemmings/J Chambers on for Featherstone and play Baxendale in the middle, or drop Grigg into that position and put Powerman up top. Instead it was them that made a game changing substitution by putting on a pacey winger on the right against Benning - skinned him more than once (no support from Paterson), pushing him deeper and allowing them to get more men forward than in the first half to come onto the ball that Jabo was still holding up very well.

Having said that, they never really looked like scoring but they were keeping us penned in so less and less liklely we were going to either. The best chance we had was from a break after another of their poor corners when Grigg out wide on the right looked up to see Paterson with acres of space in the centre. He knocked the ball over bang on the money, but instead of taking the ball down in front of him for a clear run at goal, Paterson "trapped" the ball yards to the side right to where the nearest defender could get his foot to it. Couldn't blame to poor surface because the ball was in the air! Apart from that we were reduced to lumping it forward aimlessly from the back.

Chanbers still the best player on the pitch but getting more and more ineffectual in terms of attacking play as having to hold onto the ball for too long waiting for a run that never happened, and then forced into a sideways or backwards pass. Featherstone more or less a passenger, along with Paterson, and Benning couldn't get forward as much as he did in the 1st half. Too much huff and puff up the the final third, then everyone scrambling back to avoid the break when we inevitably lost the ball.

As it went on you could see that they were getting more and more encouraged that they weren't losing yet again and they made 2 more early subs in a bid to find a breakthrough, while we seemed content to sit it out for the point. If we had have gone for it I think they would have crumbled - but we didn't (after the match at our place their manager said it was a change for the game not to have been beyond them by halftime - and their run has got worse since then so confidence must have been low).

When the goal came with only 10 minutes left it was self-inflicted - a routine back pass to mop up a loose ball was under hit by Downing, their bloke ran onto it, McLaughlin reacted and managed to slide to the ball first but only knocked it out as far as the onrushing Jabo who ran through our flatfooted defence and scooped it into an empty net.

Too late Smith reacted by putting on Hemmings for Baxendale (why?). and even later Bowerman for Featherstone (stable door time!), but still no urgency in getting forward and when we did we left ourselves wide open to a counter acttack - they'd already hit the bar before the right wing sub was allowed to get away unchallenged down the side and cross to the unmarked Freddie Sears for the clincher in the 90th minute (where was our pace?)

Overall a lack of guile to break them down was the problem. More than matched them physically in the middle but not up front as no support for Grigg, and not enough pace or skill to open them up

Given the state of the pitch and Brandy's performance against Bournemouth last week (didn't think he did much going forward - although he did show Paterson how a winger is supposed to protect their fullback), doubt that he would have made that much of a difference really (our shape would have been better with Baxendale in the middle instead of Featherstone though). What could have done is spotting how Colchester changed things at halftime and their other 2 subs and reacting to that instead of just plodding along with Plan A then making a nothing change once it's too late, so maybe the loss of ROK was more of a factor in the result than anything else.

Hope that it was just a bad day at the office because we know that these same players can play better than that (not saying we were bad, just a bit flat and predictable).

Feet back on the ground, concentrate on the Oldham game and getting to 50 points asap - leave dreams of play offs until after Easter iof we are still in with a shout then.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:38 pm

gray wrote: As a young team its clear that if things don't start going our way early on we find it hard. Even against Preston when we were bossing the game at 2-0 I could see us drawing or losing if we conceded, when we scored the 3rd we played some of the best football I've seen us play in years.

Spot on I remember feeling the same at Preston. It's a shame we didn't have that clinical ball this weekend but I'm sure we will have it back against oldham who are on a bad run of form (minus the liverfool game) so we could easily pick back up from this blip.

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season