Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

A F C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 19/1/13

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
saddlerken
Site Addict

Re: A F C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 19/1/13

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:55 am

I might have given Smith some utterly deserved criticism on this here message board but I never fail to get 'behind the lads' because it's the lads that are doing this.

We've some fine young players at the club, it's something that I've enjoyed most about Walsall since Colin Lee and then Merson signed a load of journeymen mongs who couldnt be arsed. As the squad gets younger, watching Walsall gets more enjoyable. Long may it continue.

Hopefully, after 2 years of his mossive apprenticeship Smith HAS picked up some tactical and selectional nous to add to his ability to get his players to play for him/the club (N.B, Smith jizzmongerers, I have ALWAYS given him CREDIT for this particular trait).

Credit where credit is due, O'Kelly is doing a damn fine job 8)

UTS

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:08 pm

saddlerken wrote:I might have given Smith some utterly deserved criticism on this here message board but I never fail to get 'behind the lads' because it's the lads that are doing this.

We've some fine young players at the club, it's something that I've enjoyed most about Walsall since Colin Lee and then Merson signed a load of journeymen mongs who couldnt be arsed. As the squad gets younger, watching Walsall gets more enjoyable. Long may it continue.

Hopefully, after 2 years of his mossive apprenticeship Smith HAS picked up some tactical and selectional nous to add to his ability to get his players to play for him/the club (N.B, Smith jizzmongerers, I have ALWAYS given him CREDIT for this particular trait).

Credit where credit is due, O'Kelly is doing a damn fine job 8)

UTS

:lol:

I agree, anyone who watches us regularly is absolutely entitled to vent on here. What boils my piss is when things are going bad, those who don't watch us from one season to the next let alone one week to the next just love jumping on the current "out" bandwagon and calling our football club cack at every available opportunity. Then they disappear into the long grass when things get better.

Watching walsall at the moment is indeed enjoyable. Some with an alleged Walsall heart, need to get from behind their keyboards from in front of Sky (economically a Walsall Season ticket is about the same as a Sky Sports subscription) and get their backsides down there to see a really promising young team lead, dare I say it, by a really promising young mananger.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:38 pm

A great performance and well deserved win.

Grigg has improved in key areas of his game. He now leaves the ground when trying to win a ball in the air, he can now hold the ball up well, and has some new tricks. He has also bulked out - whether by weight training or a special "diet" it certainly seems to be working.

Lee McLoughlin is clearly the worst goalkeeper we have had this season, and he could easily have cost us the match.

Brandy's sending off was very harsh. He was only trying to score a goal - there was no malicious intent.

We were very lucky with the second penalty, it was only a terrible decision by the referee in not awarding a foul when Grigg was brought down, that caused O'Kane to pick up the ball.

SWS1

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Ah, but have you seen the bilge Howe was spouting on the BBC about the incident of the penalty?
"It was a bizarre incident really, I mean it was clearest free kick you'll ever see - Steven Cook's almost in desperation because he's been done by the centre forward, who's hacked him down to almost stop him coming into the box, rightly or wrongly. [Wrongly, you stupid berk]

"Everyone in the ground expected a free kick. Bizarre. It was a free kick, it should never have been a penalty". [Course not: we wuz aiming for a free kick outside the box. Pity O'Kane thought it such a bad challenge it had to be a free kick Ha Ha Ha]
What he is saying here is, "My centre half was skinned, so he did what any centre half of mine does - tried to smash him to the ground before he got in the penalty area". Well, if that's your attitude I'm soooo delighted the ref either was a bit slow to blow, made a daft decision or (I hope) decided to play an advantage for a few seconds with the result that followed. :lol:

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 pm

SWS1 wrote:Ah, but have you seen the bilge Howe was spouting on the BBC about the incident of the penalty?
"It was a bizarre incident really, I mean it was clearest free kick you'll ever see - Steven Cook's almost in desperation because he's been done by the centre forward, who's hacked him down to almost stop him coming into the box, rightly or wrongly. [Wrongly, you stupid berk]

"Everyone in the ground expected a free kick. Bizarre. It was a free kick, it should never have been a penalty". [Course not: we wuz aiming for a free kick outside the box. Pity O'Kane thought it such a bad challenge it had to be a free kick Ha Ha Ha]
What he is saying here is, "My centre half was skinned, so he did what any centre half of mine does - tried to smash him to the ground before he got in the penalty area". Well, if that's your attitude I'm soooo delighted the ref either was a bit slow to blow, made a daft decision or (I hope) decided to play an advantage for a few seconds with the result that followed. :lol:

Agree with that.

One of the first things you're taught when you start playing organised football is to "play to the whistle". Basic, basic, basic and if a lad playing for my lads junior side (under 9's) had done that we wouldn't have even mentioned the referee, foul, no foul, advantage, no advantage - we'd have reminded him of that very basic mantra.

Claridge was at it as well last night on FLR. It was O'kane's stupidity that cost them the pen and nothing else. The ref hadn't blown, the ball was live and O'kane picked it up - handball - penalty.

It's a bit like all that "Mike dean spoiled the game" at Highbury last week for sending off the Arsenal defender in the first five minutes. No he didn't. He did his job, the Arsenal defender didn't do his and was rightly sent off for trying to make up for his professional negligence by denying a clear goalscoring opportunity and therefore receiving the consequence laid down by the laws of the game. If the game was indeed spoiled by this early incident, the Arsenal defender was the cause and not the ref.

To be a pundit on the box or radio you should first have to take an exam in the laws of the game so that you don't make stupid comments that a gullible section of the population will take as gospel, therefore making a ref's job even harder.

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Bernie wrote:A great performance and well deserved win.

Grigg has improved in key areas of his game. He now leaves the ground when trying to win a ball in the air, he can now hold the ball up well, and has some new tricks. He has also bulked out - whether by weight training or a special "diet" it certainly seems to be working.

Lee McLoughlin is clearly the worst goalkeeper we have had this season, and he could easily have cost us the match.

Brandy's sending off was very harsh. He was only trying to score a goal - there was no malicious intent.

We were very lucky with the second penalty, it was only a terrible decision by the referee in not awarding a foul when Grigg was brought down, that caused O'Kane to pick up the ball.

What? We've signed another GK? Who the fudge is Lee McLoughlin?

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Bernie wrote: ...it was only a terrible decision by the referee in not awarding a foul when Grigg was brought down, that caused O'Kane to pick up the ball.

Looking at the comments after the match report in the Bournemouth Echo, I've never seen supporters so annoyed with a referee for not giving a foul against their player! :lol:
Last edited by WarsawPact on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:41 pm

WarsawPact wrote:
Bernie wrote: ...it was only a terrible decision by the referee in not awarding a foul when Grigg was brought down, that caused O'Kane to pick up the ball.

Looking at the comments after the match report in the Bournemouth Echo, I've never seen supporters so annoyed with a referee for not giving a foul against their player! :lol:

Did you see the report that mentioned Grigg's dive? :lol:

'Oh good thought the away crowd thinking that the comeback was on. But no the game had a further twist when, thinking the whistle had been blown for an attacking dive O’Kane just picked the ball up in the penalty. Following a double take by the referee he quite rightly pointed to the spot and the game was done.'

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Rob Harvey wrote:Who is Lee McLoughlin?

Sorry for the mistake. I should have said that Ian McLoughlin is clearly the worst goalkeeper of the season so far. We were lucky that he did not cost us the game.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:21 pm

AKA rectangle!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:18 pm

I really wanna smack Steve Claridge. Infact, i would die happy if i got to clout him.

He is lower in the cack stakes than Garth Crooks, that takes some doing.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:11 am

On another note, where did the disabled supporters sit on Saturday being as the family stand was shut?

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:32 am

Was still open to the disabled supports I think.

windowman
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:35 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:On another note, where did the disabled supporters sit on Saturday being as the family stand was shut?

in a wheelchair, being pushed about and talking behind their backs

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Just reading the E & S, would the Bournemouth manager have said it was a foul if it had been in the box and ref had given a pen. :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:48 pm

clawtheolder wrote:Just reading the E & S, would the Bournemouth manager have said it was a foul if it had been in the box and ref had given a pen. :roll:

Let me think about that for just a moment... NO

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:49 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:On another note, where did the disabled supporters sit on Saturday being as the family stand was shut?

They had the option to go into whichever stand they wanted,

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:14 am

Rob Harvey wrote:

Yeah but there are spaces in the family stand for wheelchairs but the other stands haven't got that much room to walk past as it is let alone having a wheelchair in there as well.

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
Rob Harvey wrote:

Yeah but there are spaces in the family stand for wheelchairs but the other stands haven't got that much room to walk past as it is let alone having a wheelchair in there as well.

A few were upstairs, able to watch from inside the bar area

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 am

Rob Harvey wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:
Rob Harvey wrote:

A few were upstairs, able to watch from inside the bar area

Aah right

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:02 am

200 posts on a match thread? Thought we won this game! :D

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:56 pm

Just found out there was a player on the pitch (James) that was older then me (only just). I never thought I'd see a professional game with that happening again :wink:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:19 pm

tinned wrote:Just found out there was a player on the pitch (James) that was older then me (only just). I never thought I'd see a professional game with that happening again :wink:

And you could tell! :D

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Exile wrote:200 posts on a match thread? Thought we won this game! :D

That's my line, find your own non facts!

windowman
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Highlights http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0 ... 39,00.html

thanks

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:56 am

windowman wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:Highlights http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0 ... 39,00.html

thanks

Great stuff

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season