Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

A F C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 19/1/13

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: A F C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 19/1/13

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:59 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
saddlerken wrote:Unbelievable Jeff!

Keep it gewin

UTS

When are you going to pull your head out of your backside and give the manager some credit?

Indeed. I don't have any time for the sarcastic "Smith out" comments, inferring they were right all the long or whatever. Anyone who didn't question Smith when we hadn't won for 3 months, and started to look like we never would again.

He has this canny knack Dean Smith of pulling it out the bag just in the nick of time. I am almost certain he was on the verge of the sack last season, and pulled it out the bag with a decent run of results, and as much as they may not have wanted to sack him this season, it was getting to the point where there would have been no other option, you can't just go on not winning forever.

Anyway, credit where credit is due, fine run of form, beat some useful sides along the way too. Best run of form since the back end of Merson's first season in charge ?

During the unwinning run, there were some decent results and some good performances. Drawing away at Tranmere and Crawley, playing well but throwing points away against Crewe and Yeovil are examples.

Smith is on a learning curve, same as any young manager in any walk of life. Some recognise this and some don't, but giving credit to anything and everything bar Smith is churlish, just because it means a bit of humble pie eating.

Alex Ferguson was almost fired by Man Utd early on remember. Our board deserve credit for keeping faith with Smith.

Sure, there were some of the worst performances I have ever seen by any Walsall side too. I agree with you though, I'm not gonna pretend I'm not happy about our upturn in form, or that Dean Smith doesn't deserve any of the credit, of course he does, just the same as he deserved to be questioned after some of our dire performances. Long may it continue too, could be exciting times ahead fingers crossed.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:06 pm

McLoughlin 7 - Decent flapped at 1 or 2 crosses but generally good
Benning 7 - solid and if he can bulk up a little in the next pre season for his strength he will be a real hot prospect
Butler 7 - Solid, commanding useful performance from the skipper
Downing 8- Great as always and his partnership with butler is great he is a major key in our turn around.
Purkiss 7 - great as always thought the yellow was a little harsh but he had beaten purkiss.
A Chambers 8 - Was everywhere all over the pitch working hard linking up with quite a few others
Manton 7 - Did well still have no idea how he managed to get that goal but he deserved it for his work rate.
Paterson 7 - Had a usual game moments of brilliance odd annoying mistake but did well and seemed to track back to defend a little more today.
Baxendale 7 -
Brandy 5 - Poor game from him today didn't really get going and had quite a heavy touch when running with the ball but I put that down to an off day and the conditions not sorting his game. Not sure what his 2nd yellow Express and dingle say dive others say 2nd bookable offence. (Smith didn't look to happy with Brandy)
Grigg 9 - My man of the match he worked his socks off again and won a lot of balls in the air flicking them onto himself and giving their defence a general nightmare. First penalty was obvious he wanted the penalty as he took on james and got himself to a more awkward angle and seemed to brace himself for james tackle knowing he would get the foul. The penalty wasn't a great one just went over james's body. 2nd was the bizzare picking up of the ball but griggs delivery was great for the 2nd.

Grigg has really shown his potential these past few weeks and fair play to him for doing his own hard work quite a few people around me agreed he seems to have an extra bit of pace and ability now which must of come with his confidence which is great to see.

Was with the standing group of singers today again and fair play for doing their best to make an atmosphere in a small crowd with a lot of the older whingers there with them complaining about them as they had to move across due to side of the goal being taped off.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:07 pm

kshammer wrote:Really pleased for Smith. It was only human to have doubts (and I had some) after the run we had and some of the decisions he made but maybe we should all learn something and not be so reactionary. Give him and the players (especially youngsters) more time, don't froth at the mouth after a bad run (we're not Premier League fans after all) and get behind em. They deserve it.

Spot on.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Bet asps was moaning that he couldn't knock one off in the corner of block 6

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:14 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:He could've bought a Walsall coat!

Glad he's good though and that you're getting Griggy with it.

As I said to Willenhall Saddler hes getting better and better and im pleased he's ramming mine and others criticism down our throats :wink: absolutely brilliant today

From the Stevenage away thread back in September -

aaaae Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:16 pm wrote:Special mention goes to the idiots that booed when Grigg came on, well done.

aaaae Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:13 pm wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:I agree, i'm not Grigg's biggest fan, far from it, but when he was booed on i stood there shaking my head.You don't boo your own players, well not when they come on as sub anyway.

Also agree, you know better than anyone what I think of Grigg but you will never hear me boo him. Boo'd the 'team' many times after a poor performance but not an individual. He's still rubbish though :wink:

I've only ever booed the ref or opposition. My view is the players know better than us if they've had a stinker, so what's the point?

PS - Grigg will come good.

Told you! :mrgreen:

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:19 pm

aaaae wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:He could've bought a Walsall coat!

Glad he's good though and that you're getting Griggy with it.

As I said to Willenhall Saddler hes getting better and better and im pleased he's ramming mine and others criticism down our throats :wink: absolutely brilliant today

From the Stevenage away thread back in September -

aaaae Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:16 pm wrote:Special mention goes to the idiots that booed when Grigg came on, well done.

aaaae Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:13 pm wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:I agree, i'm not Grigg's biggest fan, far from it, but when he was booed on i stood there shaking my head.You don't boo your own players, well not when they come on as sub anyway.

Also agree, you know better than anyone what I think of Grigg but you will never hear me boo him. Boo'd the 'team' many times after a poor performance but not an individual. He's still rubbish though :wink:

I've only ever booed the ref or opposition. My view is the players know better than us if they've had a stinker, so what's the point?

PS - Grigg will come good.

Told you! :mrgreen:

You've been waiting to do that haven't you? :lol:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Two players seem to have be left out in our player ratings so let me do it.
James 9
O'Kane 10

rusky
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:23 pm

First home game for me since the Scunthorpe game back in November.

What can I say that hasn't already been said above. I thought we played some tremendous stuff the whole game. When we didn't have the ball we worked so hard from back to front to get it back.

At the back the new keeper looked fine and was pretty vocal, Butler was organising and bossing his back line really well and I like how calm him and Downing seem to be together. Benning is all left footed at the moment (when sometimes taking a touch on his right foot might be the better option) but he looks composed and gets his head up to see where the pass is, and hopefully we see a lot more of him.

The holding two of Mantom and Chambers were magnificent breaking things up and moving the ball on with quality.

The holy trinity of Baxendale, Brandy and Paterson were quite a handful with their movement, flair and work ethic. It just shows how football is a game of opinions that someone earlier gave Brandy a score of 4, I didn't quite see that myself I thought he tracked back, switched wings and offered an outlet all throughout his time on the pitch, first booking looked harsh, second looks like it was justified to me. Paterson is going to be quite a prospect, he wants to run at defenders, he has an eye for goal and seems to be growing in confidence.

Grigg never stops does he? Superb performance ran the line really well and is definitely coming of age. Could have had a hatrick too.

Referee was poor, has anyone seen a decent referee performance at home this season?

A big well done to everyone for getting the game on (even Jeef was out there with his shovel this morning I hear) and hopefully we can keep everyone together for the season, dare we dream of a push to the play offs?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:28 pm

kshammer wrote:You've been waiting to do that haven't you? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Wow, treble delight today.

1. The game went ahead - well done to all involved there.
2. A tremendous win against another (relatively) big time Charlie outfit (esp according to BBC)
3. Will Grigg - so much abuse but has the character to come through it and the nerve to tuck in two penalties. (Who did do that last for the club in a game?)

Well done all the fans, players, management for all being involved in that win.
Two fingers to stayaways like me and Jeff!

chesterperry

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:21 pm

tinned wrote:Great performance. Funny as **** second penalty. Jambo should a walked for the first pen.

Why? have the rules changed? he wasn't last man, or do my highlights deceive me?

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Chambers looks three times the player when he doesn't have to do the job of three players!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:46 pm

chesterperry wrote:
tinned wrote:Great performance. Funny as **** second penalty. Jambo should a walked for the first pen.

Why? have the rules changed? he wasn't last man, or do my highlights deceive me?

Quite correct, people by me were going mental that he should have been sent off but there were 2 men covering and its not certain Grigg would have scored :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:50 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
kshammer wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:3-1 :D :D Grigg

Grigg scored TWO penalties? we been havin lessons or summat? .......Grigg TWO goals? never.......
I'm free from a heart attack for one more week then surely?

..and 11 for the season for our international striker.

He's showing that prolific class that only top internationals strikers do.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

laugh you might but he was seriously different class today.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:52 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
chesterperry wrote:

Quite correct, people by me were going mental that he should have been sent off but there were 2 men covering and its not certain Grigg would have scored :lol:

Also, Grigg's last touch took him away from goal.

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Danny Sonner scored 2 pens in one match some years back.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Bet asps was moaning that he couldn't knock one off in the corner of block 6

Had a free upgrade to the upper Gaultier stand. Mossiv view

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:25 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:... people by me were going mental that he should have been sent off but there were 2 men covering and it's not certain Grigg would have scored :lol:

True - but the referee has to consider the opportunity, not the skill level of the possible scorer - so the judgement should be same whether it is Will Grigg or Robin van Persie.

My opinion on the referee's key decisions:-
Both penalties - correct
James's caution - on balance, correct
Brandy's 1st caution - wrong - a telling-off would have sufficed
Brandy's 2nd caution - correct (it was a wild lunge)
Purkiss's caution - wrong. It didn't even merit a telling-off
Baxendale's caution - correct. In fact, Smith should fine him for such a stupid bit of childish petulance.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 pm

Great result. Well done everyone who made it happen!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:... people by me were going mental that he should have been sent off but there were 2 men covering and it's not certain Grigg would have scored :lol:

True - but the referee has to consider the opportunity, not the skill level of the possible scorer - so the judgement should be same whether it is Will Grigg or Robin van Persie.

My opinion on the referee's key decisions:-
Both penalties - correct
James's caution - on balance, correct
Brandy's 1st caution - wrong - a telling-off would have sufficed
Brandy's 2nd caution - correct (it was a wild lunge)
Purkiss's caution - wrong. It didn't even merit a telling-off
Baxendale's caution - correct. In fact, Smith should fine him for such a stupid bit of childish petulance.

Was not judging by the skill level as it may appear which is my fault, I was just laughing that people really thought and were adamant that he should have got sent off, my fault :wink:

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:47 pm

WarsawPact's Champagne Moment.

Griggy(?) dumping a defender face-first into a snowdrift. :lol:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:41 am

Superb result, well chuffed with the turnaround we are experiencing now, long may it continue

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:06 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
saddlerken wrote:Unbelievable Jeff!

Keep it gewin

UTS

When are you going to pull your head out of your backside and give the manager some credit?

Indeed. I don't have any time for the sarcastic "Smith out" comments, inferring they were right all the long or whatever. Anyone who didn't question Smith when we hadn't won for 3 months, and started to look like we never would again.

He has this canny knack Dean Smith of pulling it out the bag just in the nick of time. I am almost certain he was on the verge of the sack last season, and pulled it out the bag with a decent run of results, and as much as they may not have wanted to sack him this season, it was getting to the point where there would have been no other option, you can't just go on not winning forever.

Anyway, credit where credit is due, fine run of form, beat some useful sides along the way too. Best run of form since the back end of Merson's first season in charge ?

I think its you who should be admitting you were wrong. As others said, we only had a couple of shocker in that bad run. There were good performances, and still a lot of football and effort in that time. Unfortunately the luck and confidence were low during that spell and it showed. I might also add that the fans didn't help, as it was all groans if something went wrong. The confidence comes from the fans getting behind the team, even when it ain't all going well.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:11 am

I think I kind of did admit didn't I ?

Didn't see you at many of those though, getting behind the team.....

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:25 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I think I kind of did admit didn't I ?

Didn't see you at many of those though.

You did mate, I missed your post on this page, sorry. I missed a couple because I was fed up of over the top negativity to be honest, from many who couldn't put into context an occasional bad performance from players low in confidence but still putting in effort, to a group of decent players putting in no effort every week and serving up far worse than we have seen this season. Merson, Hutchings etc.

I've said to you before I didn't go to Lincoln, but I'd want to see a post on here from over half the people that went before I'd believe it was anywhere near as bad as Slough, which you insist it was.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:37 am

You didn't miss as many as me by the way, I miss almost exactly half the games that are on a Saturday , and will do for quite a few years yet, nothing I can do about it. It has just fallen this year that the weeks I can go have usually been away games. Would prefer they were at home really, far easier to pop and see my local side just up the road, but anyway I was only joking with you, there aint many followed Walsall like you have over the years, you were a face I saw in the pubs every week before I even knew you :lol:

As for Smith, despite sarcastic comments and whatever, I am actually chuffed it's going well. Happy to be wrong, there was a point even if it wasn't for that long we looked as bad as under any of the other managers you mentioned, Lincoln away was in my opinion as bad as slough, if not worse, I stand by that, but I can't deny we are a pleasure to watch now, so I guess that does mean I was wrong, it doesn't really hurt to say it.

I think I remember saying to you and others last season, we don't have to accept fighting relegation every season just cos we don't have big money to spend. Seems like the club at least have some kind of plan how to put an end to that cycle, they also deserve some credit along with Deano.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:51 am

Time after time today our midfield two broke up play with tackles ( not easy in the conditions ) then played a simple ball to get us moving forward . This also showed there was always a man looking for the ball. Excellent stuff and a key to our success. Been told Chambers is only recently fully fit and it makes all the difference.
Loving life at the bezzla and off to Colchester too can't wait
Up the Saddlers forever :D

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:24 am

It's great that Smith has turned this side around and the players have confidence to play in a positive way. That's what's so frustrating though. We started the season in fine shape but during that long bad run some performances were shyte, basic mistakes were made and Smith dropped some right clangers, and it was unacceptable. No manager should feel they are not under pressure after that run of results.

As its turned out, Smith has really turned it around for the better which is what we all want and long may it continue, rather him at the helm instead of your usual journeyman managers that float around at our level.

Think the smug squad can calm down a bit though, same principle as the doom squad moaning after a loss. Give it a rest.
Last edited by derbysaddler on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:49 am

Well that was quite an amazing game and for me the the best effort, considering the conditions, I have seen from the team this season. Why have we been so poor at times and then something approaching brilliant on others and before anyone trots out the usual single brain cell excuse that 'we were unlucky' can I cite the example that my 'lucky jumper' has set since the Colchester game :D

Since our 16 game win less run our results have been nothing short of remarkable despite the varied opposition we've been up against, looking through the stats and from watching our performances it would appear that the introduction of Brandy as a regular fixture in the team has been one of the catalyst for improved results, we actually started to look dangerous up front, he terrorises defenders, holds the ball well and his overall play, in particular his willingness to defend has added something extra. I think this in part has helped Grigg and his recent performances have been inspired. We also appear to have started crossing the ball, again no coincidence that Purkiss introduction [back in favour with Smith] has helped. What else? the previous unrated [by me] Adam 'The Crab' Chambers must be playing the best 'football' of his life, his performance yesterday put him in, briefly, in the same league as Martin O'Connor and I would have given him MOM despite Griggs outstanding game. Other stuff, well most people have already stated it in previous posts, just take your pick.

Long may it continue for all Walsall fans who choose [if able of course - you abroad chappies are exempt] to go to the matches and support the team while you are there, we just love it when Walsall win. :D As for those 'people who are hoping Walsall will lose' I've been told about can I assume they must be fans of other clubs because I've never met one at Walsall games :idea:

Oh and Smith [future England manager] out for all my fans out there. :arrow: PERIOD

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:50 am

From the BBC Eunan O`cane is adjudged to have handled the ball :D . No sh*t Sherlock.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season