Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

A F C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 19/1/13

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
PT
Site Addict

Re: A F C Bournemouth (H) League 1 Saturday 19/1/13

Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:34 pm

It's a shame that the weather cost us around 1,000 on the gate (myself included :evil: ), but this has been a truly team effort. From everyone who picked up a shovel and helped clear the snow to the players who continue to play some great football and deliver some great results and finally to Dean Smith who has got a group of lads digging very deep for him.

Fantastic being a Saddler right now.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
saddlerken wrote:Unbelievable Jeff!

Keep it gewin

UTS

When are you going to pull your head out of your backside and give the manager some credit?

Indeed. I don't have any time for the sarcastic "Smith out" comments, inferring they were right all the long or whatever. Anyone who didn't question Smith when we hadn't won for 3 months, and started to look like we never would again.

He has this canny knack Dean Smith of pulling it out the bag just in the nick of time. I am almost certain he was on the verge of the sack last season, and pulled it out the bag with a decent run of results, and as much as they may not have wanted to sack him this season, it was getting to the point where there would have been no other option, you can't just go on not winning forever.

Anyway, credit where credit is due, fine run of form, beat some useful sides along the way too. Best run of form since the back end of Merson's first season in charge ?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:02 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
saddlerken wrote:Unbelievable Jeff!

Keep it gewin

UTS

When are you going to pull your head out of your backside and give the manager some credit?

Indeed. I don't have any time for the sarcastic "Smith out" comments, inferring they were right all the long or whatever. Anyone who didn't question Smith when we hadn't won for 3 months, and started to look like we never would again.

He has this canny knack Dean Smith of pulling it out the bag just in the nick of time. I am almost certain he was on the verge of the sack last season, and pulled it out the bag with a decent run of results, and as much as they may not have wanted to sack him this season, it was getting to the point where there would have been no other option, you can't just go on not winning forever.

Anyway, credit where credit is due, fine run of form, beat some useful sides along the way too. Best run of form since the back end of Merson's first season in charge ?

During the unwinning run, there were some decent results and some good performances. Drawing away at Tranmere and Crawley, playing well but throwing points away against Crewe and Yeovil are examples.

Smith is on a learning curve, same as any young manager in any walk of life. Some recognise this and some don't, but giving credit to anything and everything bar Smith is churlish, just because it means a bit of humble pie eating.

Alex Ferguson was almost fired by Man Utd early on remember. Our board deserve credit for keeping faith with Smith.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:14 pm

I don't think Dean Smith suddenly became a bad manager during the bad run. A lot of football, and any other sport, is about confidence and momentum. We just needed that first win again after not winning for 16 games and then the players started to believe again. Wherever we finish this season, you have to say that Deano and Rich O'Kelly made some astute signings in the summer. Brandy, Downing, Purkiss and Taylor as well as Mantom are doing the business. Well done the lads - here's to a Wembley play-off final in May. C'mon you Reds!

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:14 pm

A simply stunning result that carries on this remarkable run and a faultless start to 2013. Before the game I would have been more than happy with a point but to take all 3, and thoroughly deserved might I add, was a bonus. Thought we dominated the first half - looked a lot sharper than Bournemouth, created the better chances despite them hitting the bar and we looked solid. Mantom's goal was a cross come shot but found it's way through the group of players and past calamity James who had a horror show for the majority of the game. Will Grigg was superb yet again today and I think can easily go on to get 15+ goals this season as I previously stated - made something out of nothing to win the 2nd penalty and deservedly put us 2 up despite it not being the greatest penalty. The first 20 mins of the second half was tough, B'mouth came out fighting and got an early goal which I thought would inspire a comeback and potentially lead them onto victory, but it wasn't the case. The lads showed great determination and fighting spirit even when going down to 10 men. The 2nd penalty decision was hilarious, Grigg got brought down just outside the box, Eunan O'Kane thought the ref had blown for a foul so picked the ball up when he hadn't and subsequently the ref gave a penalty for hand ball :lol: it was quite something. Cool, calm composed finish from Grigg and could have picked up his hattrick but flashed wide after a quick free kick. Player ratings:

McLoughlin 7 - Like the look of this lad as I did at PNE - Safe hands from crosses, has one hell of a kick on him and couldn't really do much with their goal. Seems to have built up a decent rapport with the squad aswell.
Benning 7 - Really one for the future, didn't put a foot wrong today as far as i'm concerned against a high quality player like Grabban.
Butler 7 - Solid, commanding useful performance from the skipper
Downing 7 - As above, superb partnership between him and Butler - baring a bad injury/suspension can't see Holden getting a sniff for a long time
Purkiss 7 - Had my doubts at the start of the season but he has come on leaps and bounds, in a different league to @Taundz
A Chambers 8 - The man is on fire - workhorse, strong in the tackle, just what we need and put in another blinder today - close behind Grigg for my MOTM
Manton 7 - Good performance from Sam, passed the ball around nicely, dangerous ball in the box for his goal, great acquisition to the squad.
Paterson 7 - Quietish game from him but didn't really do much wrong and continues to look threatening - still a key player in my eyes because I think he has still got so much to give.
Baxendale 7 - Worked hard throughout and always on offer to receive the ball - can add a lot to the squad.
Brandy 4 - Disappointing end to his game, didn't have his usual spark today - will just count it as an off day as I still think he is a class act that has a lot to offer.
Grigg 9 - My MOTM, superb display and he continues to look like a new player, just shows what confidence can do for you. Poor 1st penalty but he had no right to win it in the first place, brilliant work and commitment. Can't sing his praises enough today and if he continues developing could easily get 15-20 goals this season.

Subs:
J Chambers 6 - Didn't have much time to make an impact.

Played 4 won 4 in 2013 and 6 wins in the last 7 - the stats speak for themselves and the great run continues - how far can this side go? I'd still settle for a 10th-12th placed finish but you can't help but think of a late play off push! Professional determined performance today that clearly warranted 3 points against a side that hadn't lost since October - quality stuff saddlers. UTS

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:17 pm

McLoughlin 6.5, flapped at acouple of crosses but steady

Butler 8, Lead like a captain should
Purkiss 7, steady eddie likes to get forward
Benning 7, getting better and better
Downing 8, possibly our best defender at the club

A. Chambers 8.5, contender for M.O.M won everything and added afew tricks
Baxendale 7, started busy then seemed to go quite
Mantom 8, goal and steady game

Grigg 9.5, M.O.M, 2 goals, ran them ragged, held the ball up, unlucky to be pulled down for the pen in the sense that it would have been a great goal
Paterson 7, does some brilliant things but then can spoil it by doing something needless
Brandy 6.5, do not blame him for the 2nd yellow card and subsequent red card as the ball was loose 2 yards out and if a forward is not desperate to get to it from there then there is something wrong (Smith gave him a right shove down the tunnel). Pace to burn but lost control at vital times.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:Downing 8, possibly our best defender at the club

Absolutely, when he first came into the squad he struggled to win balls in the air but that has all changed, he dominates aerially know and he is a very technically gifted player who can distribute the ball well on the floor - very promising future and would be one of the lads i'd be offering an extended contract to pronto!

Tracker34
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Great win and a great performance!

We started well but missed a few chances, Grigg firing at the last defender with the goalkeeper stranded being the main one. Then after some decent pressure Mantom whips a freekick across the area, beating everyone and sneaking in at the back post. Then Grigg got the reward for being a serial pest to defenders - heading a high clearance then picking up the ball, running at defenders and taking on David James before being hauled down for a penalty. (Definitely a yellow card-never a red). Grigg tucked it away for a 2-0 lead.

After half time we gave them a chance to get back into the game - two defenders shadowing a player on their right wing but neither going to put in the block an let the cross go in - decent header 2-1. Then our third; Grigg takes on his man again on about 2 yards from the corner flag and is blatantly fouled. No Free-Kick. While he and Paterson berate the officials the ball roll into the area and is picked up by the Bournemouth player. Got to give a penalty, tucked away by Grigg to the keepers right and 3-1. Job Done.

Shame about the red for Brandy. Wish referees would use a bit of common sense at times. The first yellow was late but not reckless and his first real foul, could have been a talking to (same for Purkiss). The second one involved the ball bobbling around in the goalmouth and Feb sliding in to try and tuck it in. What else is he meant to do? Stand there and let them clear it? Not reckless, no bad intent, just an effort for the ball. Use your common sense referee. Also the throwing the ball away from Baxendale- I see why he has given this (even if the ball was caught by Grigg and went about 5 yards in total), but why was their player not booked for kicking the ball into the goal after the ref had blown for a free-kick (it actually went further than Baxendales!!)

Bournemouth did miss some sitters and hit the post/bar 3 times from an aggregate total of about 7 yards - may need to look for refunds on some of these new forwards.

Only downside is that hear there were a helluva lot of scouts there today.... but overall, great win and great credit to the club for getting the game on!!

Player ratings: solid 7.5 all around, 8 for Chambers & 9 for Grigg!

kshammer
Site Addict

Really pleased for Smith. It was only human to have doubts (and I had some) after the run we had and some of the decisions he made but maybe we should all learn something and not be so reactionary. Give him and the players (especially youngsters) more time, don't froth at the mouth after a bad run (we're not Premier League fans after all) and get behind em. They deserve it.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

DDDLDWWLWWWW

Two losses in 12 since the Lincoln loss.

Just beaten a team who brought on a sub who cost nearly as much as our annual wage budget.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:26 pm

DYSaddler wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:Downing 8, possibly our best defender at the club

Absolutely, when he first came into the squad he struggled to win balls in the air but that has all changed, he dominates aerially know and he is a very technically gifted player who can distribute the ball well on the floor - very promising future and would be one of the lads i'd be offering an extended contract to pronto!

His role in our turn around in form shouldn't be understated. From the earliest games in the season, even when we were winning, I thought the similarity of Holden/Butler didn't work and so Downing's emergence has been crucial. Agree whole heartedly on the contract point.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Tracker34 wrote:Only downside is that hear there were a helluva lot of scouts there today

You're always going to get a lot of scouts, opposition managers and the like in the stands when yours is one of the only games to take place. It was the same when we played Lincoln in the cup.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:45 pm

Tracker34 wrote:Only downside is that hear there were a helluva lot of scouts there today.... but overall, great win and great credit to the club for getting the game on!!

I saw one from Middlesborough in the Bonser suite at HT making extensive notes!! Who else did you see?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:54 pm

DYSaddler wrote:
Tracker34 wrote:Only downside is that hear there were a helluva lot of scouts there today.... but overall, great win and great credit to the club for getting the game on!!

I saw one from Middlesborough in the Bonser suite at HT making extensive notes!! Who else did you see?

If anyone saw a man with an Albion coat on in the Dead Stand dont worry that was the plonker better known as my Dad and not a scout :oops: he's been there more times this season than the stayaways have in 10 years so no abuse please thanking you kindly very much :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:57 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:

If anyone saw a man with an Albion coat on in the Dead Stand dont worry that was the plonker better known as my Dad and not a scout :oops: he's been there more times this season than the stayaways have in 10 years so no abuse please thanking you kindly very much :D

I abused him inwardly.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:57 pm

Fantastic match today. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was worried when Brandy went off. Not so much for his attacking but more for his defensive role. I was impressed with him tracking back on the right and in supporting Purkiss. However, it was a good substitution by Smith by bringing on James Chambers just to give us that little bit of security. Purkiss is great in getting forward but no speed merchant in getting back. His yellow came for a late challenge on player that left him for dead.

I had to explain to my young lad that David James was once the England goalie. I don't think he believed me!

Grigg was awesome today, I think there will be some offers that Bonser can't refuse before the end of the month.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:

I abused him inwardly.

Thats ok as I called him a twonk but it kept him warm and healthy :wink: (collapsed after a bitter cold Walsall home game 3 years ago and nearly passed away :cry: )
Last edited by IHTC. on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:01 pm

He could've bought a Walsall coat!

Glad he's good though and that you're getting Griggy with it.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:He could've bought a Walsall coat!

Glad he's good though and that you're getting Griggy with it.

As I said to Willenhall Saddler hes getting better and better and im pleased he's ramming mine and others criticism down our throats :wink: absolutely brilliant today

p.s that was bought for him as he's a tight old git :wink: his latest trick is that he dosnt tell hes going to a Walsall game so he dosnt have to offer to pay for me :lol:
Last edited by IHTC. on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:05 pm

DYSaddler wrote:A simply stunning result that carries on this remarkable run and a faultless start to 2013. Before the game I would have been more than happy with a point but to take all 3, and thoroughly deserved might I add, was a bonus. Thought we dominated the first half - looked a lot sharper than Bournemouth, created the better chances despite them hitting the bar and we looked solid. Mantom's goal was a cross come shot but found it's way through the group of players and past calamity James who had a horror show for the majority of the game. Will Grigg was superb yet again today and I think can easily go on to get 15+ goals this season as I previously stated - made something out of nothing to win the 2nd penalty and deservedly put us 2 up despite it not being the greatest penalty. The first 20 mins of the second half was tough, B'mouth came out fighting and got an early goal which I thought would inspire a comeback and potentially lead them onto victory, but it wasn't the case. The lads showed great determination and fighting spirit even when going down to 10 men. The 2nd penalty decision was hilarious, Grigg got brought down just outside the box, Eunan O'Kane thought the ref had blown for a foul so picked the ball up when he hadn't and subsequently the ref gave a penalty for hand ball :lol: it was quite something. Cool, calm composed finish from Grigg and could have picked up his hat-trick but flashed wide after a quick free kick. Player ratings:

McLoughlin 7 - Like the look of this lad as I did at PNE - Safe hands from crosses, has one hell of a kick on him and couldn't really do much with their goal. Seems to have built up a decent rapport with the squad as well.
Benning 7 - Really one for the future, didn't put a foot wrong today as far as I'm concerned against a high quality player like Grabban.
Butler 7 - Solid, commanding useful performance from the skipper
Downing 7 - As above, superb partnership between him and Butler - baring a bad injury/suspension can't see Holden getting a sniff for a long time
Purkiss 7 - Had my doubts at the start of the season but he has come on leaps and bounds, in a different league to @Taundz
A Chambers 8 - The man is on fire - workhorse, strong in the tackle, just what we need and put in another blinder today - close behind Grigg for my MOTM
Manton 7 - Good performance from Sam, passed the ball around nicely, dangerous ball in the box for his goal, great acquisition to the squad.
Paterson 7 - Quietish game from him but didn't really do much wrong and continues to look threatening - still a key player in my eyes because I think he has still got so much to give.
Baxendale 7 - Worked hard throughout and always on offer to receive the ball - can add a lot to the squad.
Brandy 4 - Disappointing end to his game, didn't have his usual spark today - will just count it as an off day as I still think he is a class act that has a lot to offer.
Grigg 9 - My MOTM, superb display and he continues to look like a new player, just shows what confidence can do for you. Poor 1st penalty but he had no right to win it in the first place, brilliant work and commitment. Can't sing his praises enough today and if he continues developing could easily get 15-20 goals this season.

Subs:
J Chambers 6 - Didn't have much time to make an impact.

Played 4 won 4 in 2013 and 6 wins in the last 7 - the stats speak for themselves and the great run continues - how far can this side go? I'd still settle for a 10th-12th placed finish but you can't help but think of a late play off push! Professional determined performance today that clearly warranted 3 points against a side that hadn't lost since October - quality stuff Saddlers. UTS

tracker34 wrote:Great win and a great performance!

We started well but missed a few chances, Grigg firing at the last defender with the goalkeeper stranded being the main one. Then after some decent pressure Mantom whips a free-kick across the area, beating everyone and sneaking in at the back post. Then Grigg got the reward for being a serial pest to defenders - heading a high clearance then picking up the ball, running at defenders and taking on David James before being hauled down for a penalty. (Definitely a yellow card-never a red). Grigg tucked it away for a 2-0 lead.

After half time we gave them a chance to get back into the game - two defenders shadowing a player on their right wing but neither going to put in the block an let the cross go in - decent header 2-1. Then our third; Grigg takes on his man again on about 2 yards from the corner flag and is blatantly fouled. No Free-Kick. While he and Paterson berate the officials the ball roll into the area and is picked up by the Bournemouth player. Got to give a penalty, tucked away by Grigg to the keepers right and 3-1. Job Done.

Shame about the red for Brandy. Wish referees would use a bit of common sense at times. The first yellow was late but not reckless and his first real foul, could have been a talking to (same for Purkiss). The second one involved the ball bobbling around in the goalmouth and Feb sliding in to try and tuck it in. What else is he meant to do? Stand there and let them clear it? Not reckless, no bad intent, just an effort for the ball. Use your common sense referee. Also the throwing the ball away from Baxendale- I see why he has given this (even if the ball was caught by Grigg and went about 5 yards in total), but why was their player not booked for kicking the ball into the goal after the ref had blown for a free-kick (it actually went further than Baxendale's!!)

Bournemouth did miss some sitters and hit the post/bar 3 times from an aggregate total of about 7 yards - may need to look for refunds on some of these new forwards.

Agree with pretty well both of the above posts. I thought that the second penalty was hilarious. We should have had a free-kick for a foul on Grigg. O'Kane thought the referee had blown and picked the ball up in his own penalty-area. The referee actually then made the correct decision (for a change!) and awarded us the penalty. Not very impressed by the referee today. No real understanding of the game or willingness to apply common sense. I would love to have seen his assessor's report for today's match.

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:13 pm

So glad I went today for a cracking game. First half we were just great against a very good side. They were always going to come back hard and did so, but we rode it and were doing well. Second penalty was just bizarre - ref was crap all game but thank the good lord that he didn't give the foul and their guy did a Webb Ellis and picked it up. A number of top performances, in fact I can't fault any of them today. Special mentions therefore to Grigg, Benning, Paterson - actually all of them. Would sooner Brandy be diving in to try to finish a ball running along the line than let their guy clear it. The Downing debate is very interesting. He has a mobility and calmness that really complements Andy Butler. I agree with earlier posts about signing him for longer.

Specialest mention of all of all goes to Adam Chambers, who was absolutely awesome. Tackled, passed, carried the ball and allowed the others to play. Definitely my MOTM, although I thought Will Grigg was superb.

Always makes me smile that Bournemouth get lots of praise for being a footballing side, and they do try, but when the the chips are down on comes big Steve Fletcher and its lumped up towards him.

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Huge congrats to the players and staff!!! What a turn around!! Can we dare to dream??? :shock:

Addis Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:33 pm

140 mile round trip for me but worth it to see a superb performance.

Would love us to make the play-offs but we others have too many games in hand I fear.

In fact I would say the most important thing now is not so much where we finish (in all likelihood 10th-16th) but keeping this side together for next season.

Sad that our gate wasn't even 50% of any other game in the division today......

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Great result. Up the saddlers.

See you all at Colchester!!!

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:36 pm

Codsall Saddler wrote:Always makes me smile that Bournemouth get lots of praise for being a footballing side, and they do try, but when the the chips are down on comes big Steve Fletcher and its lumped up towards him.

Have you never heard of a plan B :mrgreen:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Great performance. Funny as fudge second penalty. Jambo should a walked for the first pen.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:40 pm

[live][/live]
boringteacher wrote:There's more chance of finding Shergar's DNA in Tesco's freezer cabinet than the game being on Saturday.

The temperature will do for it if we dont have 59 inches of snow before then.

Well I didn't go because all the gardening experts on here reckoned it wouldn't be on! :wink: so I'm gonna call this site now UpThe"jumptoconclusions"Saddlers :wink: but in all fairness the groundstaff did fantastic to get it on. And wasn't it well worth it?

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:[live][/live]
boringteacher wrote:There's more chance of finding Shergar's DNA in Tesco's freezer cabinet than the game being on Saturday.

Well I didn't go because all the gardening experts on here reckoned it wouldn't be on! :wink: so I'm gonna call this site now UpThe"jumptoconclusions"Saddlers :wink: but in all fairness the groundstaff did fantastic to get it on. And wasn't it well worth it?

And regarding getting the game on, it's now set a precedent, the amount of frost we've had and amount of snow we've had we shouldn't have a game postponed again now should we? :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Who the feck was I talking to then? :lol: :lol:

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:55 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:

Who the feck was I talking to then? :lol: :lol:

A figment of your imagination :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season