Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Preston North End (A) League 1 Sunday 13/1/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Preston North End (A) League 1 Sunday 13/1/13.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:36 pm

We werent made to play that well, we just breeezed past what is a truely cack Preston team. Made it look easy.

I got 4/1 on a Walsall win.

I like beer.

Wahey.

UTS

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Gutted to miss this as in Oxford all weekend but mega happy with the result. Well done lads please keep it up and let's just see how this season ends up !
Up the Saddlers forever ! :D

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Super fudge saddlers

love em

mossa

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Not long been back and from our first goal to the final whistle we were superb. Ever player contributed today and our fans have every right to feel proud tonight. Preston were perhaps the better team to start with and could have had a penalty which may have have resulted in a red card for us as well. Within a few minutes we had taken the lead and never looked back. Have to say though as good as we were Prestons defence is the worst I have seen in the leage. They didn't have a clue how to deal with our pace and movement and at times it looked an unfair game. They only really played the long ball which Butler and Downing defended very well.

Mcloughlin- 7 Good debut for him. Great save from a free kick in the second half was vital.
Purkiss- 7 His usual self, solid in defence and got forward well to support attacks as well.
Benning- 7 Think they targeted him today and the whole he dealt well. 1 0r 2 shaky moments but quite carm for his age and a nice composure on the ball
Butler 7 Typical Butler, put his head in whenever it was needed. One mistake in the first half could have been costly but other than that solid.
Downing- 8 I've said it before, i'm really impressed with him. Won nearly all his headers all afternoon and looks good on the ball. Him and Butler complement each other well.
Chambers 8 Great again, looks a totally new player for us. Broke up so many of their attacks and this role suits him.
Manton 9 My MOTM. Always had space on the ball and genearlly passed it round lovely. So happy we have signed him up
Paterson-7 Quiet in spells but a threat when he was involved. Better decision making than usual and when involved dribbled with the ball well.
Brandy 8 constant threat all afternoon. So quick and trickery that I imagine his a knightmare to mark. Very important to us as he is the pace upfront we desperately need,
Baxendale- 8 Slow start but got better and better and deserves an extra mark for a brilliant strike. Lightweight at times but the skill is there.
Grigg- 8 Worked so hard again. Looks carmer and stronger than earlier in the season. 2 good assists as well

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:52 pm

latviancheese wrote:We werent made to play that well, we just breeezed past what is a truely cack Preston team. Made it look easy.

I got 4/1 on a Walsall win.

I like beer.

Wahey.

UTS

Round on you next away game fella. :lol:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Prince Crimson Jnr's first away game.

We were brilliant. Really.

Preston were poor. Very.

Bovril x 2, Accrington-made meat and potato pie x 1, Haribo sweets x loads, Walsall goals x 3, league point x 3.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Just had this texted to me:

" At the Preston game today Walsall's dressing room had no working sockets, no working plumbing, blocked up toilets, the air conditioned had been turned onto ice cold and couldn't be turned off and the flush handles had been removed from the toilets. Apparently this isn't the first time PNE have done this to the away team."

It continues:
"I saw a PNE journo tweet about it earlier. They used to do it week in week out in the 80's but have recently done it again. The journo found out when the Walsall management team went absolutely ballistic. Apparently Dean Smith didn't give a pre-match team talk. He let the dressing room do the team talk for him. Looks like it worked."

Horrid poos.
Last edited by saddlersam on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWS1

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:02 pm

BTW - why such schadenfreude directed towards Graham Westley? TBH I had never heard of him until today. What's his history vis a vis us (the Saddlers)?
:?

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:08 pm

saddlersam wrote:Just had this texted to me:

" At the Preston game today Walsall's dressing room had no working sockets, no working plumbing, blocked up toilets, the air conditioned had been turned onto ice cold and couldn't be turned off and the flush handles had been removed from the toilets. Apparently this isn't the first time PNE have done this to the away team."

It continues:
"I saw a PNE journo tweet about it earlier. They used to do it week in week out in the 80's but have recently done it again. The journo found out when the Walsall management team went absolutely ballistic. Apparently Dean Smith didn't give a pre-match team talk. He let the dressing room do the team talk for him. Looks like it worked."

Horrid poos.

If that is true it wouldn't surprise me with any club managed by Westley. twerp him.

Teach them to fudge with the Saddlers. :D

Thor's been quiet this time... maybe the Saville enquiry has caught up with him.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:08 pm

SWS1 wrote:BTW - why such schadenfreude directed towards Graham Westley? TBH I had never heard of him until today. What's his history vis a vis us (the Saddlers)?

He believes in anti-football. Sabotaging changing rooms, feigning injuries and other timewasting tactics, hoofball, fouling, long ball, shirt tugs, etc. He also promises mountains in the media and delivers molehills.

That's for starters.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Very very impressive , Smith reckons Mr Bonser is our lucky mascot . Jeff was there today as he was at MK .

Onwards and Upwards

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Duke wrote:Very very impressive , Smith reckons Mr Bonser is our lucky mascot . Jeff was there today as he was at MK .

Onwards and Upwards

Yes there were a few "Bonser is a barclays" chants :lol:

Personally I was more interested in watching a fine away performance.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Top day gotta meet a few UTSERS put some names and faces to the usernames and got a good result out of a average performance really.

Would love to know what challenge Preston thought was a penalty as they appealed and winged at every touch I didn't see anything deserving of a penalty.

Mcloughlin- 7 Good debut for him. Great save from a free kick in the second half.
Purkiss- 8 good performance in attack and defence solid as ever
Benning- 7 at times looked a lil nervy but held his own and is developing.
Butler 7 Typical Butler performance really solid.
Downing- 8 Great game he has made a good partnership with butler and works well with the other defenders sign him up.
Chambers 8 Great game for him his passes and tackles were bang on.
Manton 8 Same as chambers didn't really put a foot wrong
Paterson-7 Still blows hot and cold but today he played more inside then on the wing and his game was all the better for it getting to turn and shoot or lay the ball off into the box.
Brandy 7 Not quite as involved as previous games but still did great winning fouls and breaking away quickly on the counter, linked up well with pato.
Baxendale- 8 Great goal and worked hard needs to build up his strength like pato though.
Grigg- 8 did well and involved in 2 of the goals I believe looking a more confident player.

Fair play to our fans as well who didn't stop all game great atmosphere and showed the preston fans how it's done seeing as all of prestons atmosphere was a crappy drum.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:50 pm

SWS1 wrote:BTW - why such schadenfreude directed towards Graham Westley? TBH I had never heard of him until today. What's his history vis a vis us (the Saddlers)?

No particular history with the Saddlers but his history in the game makes him a very easy person for football fans to despise. Westley was owner/manager of Farnborough Town when they drew Arsenal in the FA Cup fourth round in 2003. Despite being drawn at home, Westley agitated to move the game to Highbury, thereby increasing Farnborough's share of the match receipts to £500,000. Just three days after the game Westley left Farnborough to join Stevenage - taking seven players with him. It is also alleged that he took the £500,000 with him too. Farnborough limped on for a few more seasons before folding. He's an odious little git, a self-promoting bullshit merchant, and an asset stripper. You can read the full story of his rise to prominence (and opprobrium) here:

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=21479

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 pm

King Crimson wrote:

He believes in anti-football. Sabotaging changing rooms, feigning injuries and other timewasting tactics, hoofball, fouling, long ball, shirt tugs, etc. He also promises mountains in the media and delivers molehills.

That's for starters.

Yep, he's a horrible human being. The personification of a club like MK Dons.

Which makes it all the more sweet that we've done the double over both. :D

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Sensational performance and result - can't really argue with much that other people have posted on here. Mcloughlin looked solid on debut, has got a great strike on him and looks a bit of a unit so all is good there. The football at times was superb and really cut Preston apart who were very poor! Defence was solid and rarely troubled, the Butler-Downing partnership goes from strength to strength whilst Benning and Purkiss also had solid games (Purkiss inparticular I thought had a very good game, stopped crosses coming into the box and his general footballing skills are head and shoulders above what Taundry could ever achieve). Midfield dominated the game, Chambers and Mantom had so much time on the ball in the middle of the park and used it wisely - Mantom will be a key signing and AC continues to be a revelation. Paterson needs to stay - he is a key asset to this side, he still needs a lot of guidance but has the ability to break quickly and has some skill! Baxendale had a decent game and his goal was stunning, great connection and the lad seems to have a lot of passion and enjoy his football. Two lads upfront continue to work well with each other, Grigg ran his socks off and looks like he's put some beef on whilst Brandy was his usual self - skillful, pacey and caused a heap load of problems.

A clinical and emphatic away performance - agree that key members of the squad need to be signed up pronto - 5 points of the play-offs yes, but I would still settle for a top half finish this season and build on the foundations and who knows what could happen next season! The only downside was conceeding late on but that really is picking at straws. Massive turn around from the lads and management - supporters were top notch today, especially considering Preston's woeful support. As mentioned by another poster, it would be pleasing to see a decent crowd next Saturday to see the unbeaten start to the year continue :mrgreen: UTS!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:43 pm

It is a measure of the effect of our good run that I actually felt slightly disappointed as I walked out of Deepdale today. Why? We had conceded a stoppage-time goal. The confidence and energy now steadily developing in the team mean that a clean sheet is expected.

McLoughlin - sound début - little to do apart from one excellent second-half save.

Purkiss - Steady - did nothing wrong
Downing - see Purkiss
Butler - see Purkiss
Benning - growing in stature with every game. Taylor may find it difficult to regain his place.

Mantom - neat and tidy, supports team-mates well
A. Chambers - combines well with Mantom in a solid defensive midfield partnership

Paterson - not so involved as normal but made fewer mistakes
Baxendale - gradually came into the game as it progressed. Took his goal well.
Brandy - always a threat, particularly judging by the number of times he was fouled

Grigg - a willing worker but still lacks that killer instinct in front of goal. He needs a strike partner in closer contact.

Substitutes (J. Chambers, Hemmings and Bowerman) were only on the field briefly, near the end.

I enjoyed the anti-Westley banter. I wonder if he will be sacked in the morning? :lol: In fairness, Preston were nowhere near as crude as his old Stevenage team, apart from their systematic and deliberate targeting of Brandy for rough treatment.

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:08 pm

An all round great performance.
Saddler's sang and drum got quieter.
A wet and snowy Sunday afternoon doesn't get much better than this.
My last away day was Coventry????? What a difference a month makes? Must say the third goal was one of the best i've seen. I was right behind the post, it looked like it was going to miss.That was until the devilish swerve the young boy put on it kicked in :D :D Can't wait for my next journey out of the Walsall borough.
Say's it all when their goalie gets MOM :D :D :lol: :lol:
UTS

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:09 am

Great work lads!
Lovely - another Sheff-free week coming up.
Good job Smith is tied down on a long term contract eh as the bigger boys will start sniffing around....

Graydon48
Glitterati

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:21 am

saddlerphil wrote:An all round great performance.
Saddler's sang and drum got quieter.
A wet and snowy Sunday afternoon doesn't get much better than this.
My last away day was Coventry????? What a difference a month makes? Must say the third goal was one of the best i've seen. I was right behind the post, it looked like it was going to miss.That was until the devilish swerve the young boy put on it kicked in :D :D Can't wait for my next journey out of the Walsall borough.
Say's it all when their goalie gets MOM :D :D :lol: :lol:
UTS

Not sure what your back to front name sake will think of your post. Opposite name opposite veiw probably :D

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:23 am

Great Result, sounds like a great performance

is Brandy the new Buckley
is Mantom the new Shakey
is Downing the new Hawker

Were on our way

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:36 am

Whitters wrote:Great work lads!
Lovely - another Sheff-free week coming up.
Good job Smith is tied down on a long term contract eh as the bigger boys will start sniffing around....

You wish.
Excellent result today, although playing a team who had 1 won of their previous 9 or 2 of their previous 13.
Was an expected win in all honesty.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:10 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Duke wrote:Very very impressive , Smith reckons Mr Bonser is our lucky mascot . Jeff was there today as he was at MK .

Onwards and Upwards

Yes there were a few "Bonser is a barclays" chants :lol:

I didn't hear any.Where were you sitting/standing to hear those?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:49 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Onwards and Upwards

Yes there were a few "Bonser is a winner" chants :lol:

Virtually right behind the goal, nearish to the back of the stand. Didn't last long, but there were a few chants.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Onwards and Upwards

Virtually right behind the goal, nearish to the back of the stand. Didn't last long, but there were a few chants.

I was in that location, about 3 rows from where they had covered the back few rows with that sheeting.

ws3
Glitterati

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Onwards and Upwards

I was in that location, about 3 rows from where they had covered the back few rows with that sheeting.

WAW was in the row in front of us willers.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 am

You know me :shock: :lol:

I haven't made it up, start of the second half, few chants about Bonser.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:You know me :shock: :lol:

I haven't made it up, start of the second half, few chants about Bonser.

Even if he does know you I am surprised he recognised you as you were sober :D

Great day. Good to meet Latvian and Saddler Craig. Walsall away matches never cease to amaze me, Evo's niece gets more gorgous everytime I see her, Asps kept his tackle in :shock: Darth bought a round :shock: and Evo and WAW were in a pub sober :shock: :shock:

All of these were shocking enough but the latter is unlikely ever to happen again. In years to come I will be able to say I was there :D

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Song of the day award goes to MMF for his rendition of "you're the best keepr we've had this week" :D

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 pm

That was a game plan executed to near perfection. The only blip was the last minute consolation we conceded. We defended well throughout, Preston never really broke us down. On the ball we looked very comfortable, and at times were just toying with the opposition. Going forward we looked effective and for once, looked like we could score each time we attacked.

McLoughlin - 7 - Had a good game, not too much to do but made a couple of good saves and commanded his box well. His distribution is excellent

Purkiss - 8 - Solid in defence and got forward well. Cracking cross for Downing's goal.
Butler - 7 - Solid defensively, looks to be developing a good partnership with Downing
Downing - 8 - Pick of the defence, dominated, rarely beaten, comfortable in possession and a well took goal.
Benning - 7 - Nervy start but soon grew into the game. Solid.

Chambers - 9 - My MOTM, superb performance, he was everywhere, rarely wasted a pass, broke up play well and got all over the pitch.
Mantom - 8 - Full of energy and never stop going. Very good on the ball, good performance from him.

Brandy - 8 - Constant threat, Preston just couldn't deal with him. Close contender for MOTM.
Baxendale - 8 - Such a good player and we looked so much better with him in the team. Full of energy and creativity. Scorcher of a goal!
Paterson - 7 - For me, worst of the bunch, but then again it wasn't a bad performance from him which is testament to the team performance. Main criticism is that he never beats his man, meaning he cuts back nearly every time.

Grigg - 8 - Lead the line superbly, played up top on his own for a lot of the game and did it rather well. Rewarded with two assists for his hard work.

Bowermnam, Chambers and Hemmings didn't really have much time to make an impact when they came on.

Overall, cracking performance. Solid at the back, good in possession and threatening going forward. It's amazing what a bit of confidence can do. Credit to the lads and hopefully more performance like this to come so we can keep this run of form going! Onwards and upwards, UTS,

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season