Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Portsmouth (H) League 1 Friday 4/1/13.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
UTS Legend

Re: Portsmouth (H) League 1 Friday 4/1/13.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:24 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Louise wrote:Really enjoyed the game - a rare emotion this season.
i would like to mention Grigg who I thought was outstandng in leading the line and should have been Man of the Match.
Portsmouth were poor and its a sad reflection of the game today that they are where they are - whatever we think of the financial dealings the fans are always the ones that suffer.
Overall though a good solid performance and another win can only breed confidence.
Taylor mentioned the P word in his prematch Interview - its nice to dream.........

Louise, Grigg was Sky's MOM. I Couldnt hear who got the sponsors version.

Paterson

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 am

Blimey, that goes against the rules of sponsors MOM namely

If we win it has to be one of the goalscorers

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:49 am

bostin

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Grigg gave their two centre halves an absolute nightmare for the whole game. He's always been one of those neat and tidy strikers who, for me, was a bit of a luxury when he first came back into the side for Bowerman. At the moment though, he's scoring goals, winning a surprising amount in the air for his size and holds the ball up really well - long may that continue.

Special mentions too for Adam Chambers who grabbed that game by the scruff of the neck and was an absolute powerhouse in the middle of the park. I also thought Ben Purkiss was excellent - never beaten by their left winger and got forward really well.

They have some really good players in their side, but no heart whatsoever for the nitty gritty. Fair play to their fans though - I know it's almost a cliché to praise Pompey's away following, but last night was gallows humour at its best.

One final word on the attendence - and consequently, our pricing structure. Last night's game saw an attendence of over 4,000, despite an average away following and the match being televised. Given that it's early January, money is tight and many would have been quite happy to stay at home to watch on TV, the 'friend for a fiver' offer must have added the best part of 800 to the gate. Surely that tells the board that £22 to see us play the likes of Stevenage and Yeovil isn't attractive enough.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Decent performance by Walsall, but they were playing against a Pompey team clearly playing at 50%.

Did you notice how Pompey players never went in for 50/50s? Or appeal to the ref for fouls? Or appeal to the ref for what could have been a pass-back (when Purkiss controlled it and Darlow picked it up) Or how the centre-halves allowed Grigg to win a few headers? All signs of a team who simply cannot be arsed, they were backing out of challenges, not chasing anything down etc.

This was a pompey team who, on paper, looked half decent - but you can see why they're in such poor form, those players last night were the definition of going through the motions - I wonder if they actually being paid?

I personally dont rate Grigg, he scored a scuffed goal last night (lucky) then fluffed 2 other good chances that any other striker would have at the very least tested the keeper.

Agree with what has been said about Chambers, he had a decent game, as did Purkiss, as did Downing (who looks head and shoulders above the positionally dreadful Holden).

Westcarr was clearly playing for the camera's, as he was a totally different beast to the bloke who played vs Stevenage - he still managed to fluff two easy-ish chances, so I dont see what he brings to the team that George Bowerman doesnt.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:59 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Decent performance by Walsall, but they were playing against a Pompey team clearly playing at 50%.

Did you notice how Pompey players never went in for 50/50s? Or appeal to the ref for fouls? Or appeal to the ref for what could have been a pass-back (when Purkiss controlled it and Darlow picked it up) Or how the centre-halves allowed Grigg to win a few headers? All signs of a team who simply cannot be bothered, they were backing out of challenges, not chasing anything down etc.

This was a pompey team who, on paper, looked half decent - but you can see why they're in such poor form, those players last night were the definition of going through the motions - I wonder if they actually being paid?

I personally dont rate Grigg, he scored a scuffed goal last night (lucky) then fluffed 2 other good chances that any other striker would have at the very least tested the keeper.

Agree with what has been said about Chambers, he had a decent game, as did Purkiss, as did Downing (who looks head and shoulders above the positionally dreadful Holden).

Westcarr was clearly playing for the camera's, as he was a totally different beast to the bloke who played vs Stevenage - he still managed to fluff two easy-ish chances, so I dont see what he brings to the team that George Bowerman doesnt.

A kit that looks like it's been played in ? Can't really argue with any of the rest of it though, we played well, they didn't really care. Might have been different if they hadn't fluffed a great chance before we scored.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Clean sheet?
Won on the telly?
Comfortable performance?

2013 is looking bright already!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:08 pm

King Crimson wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:DDDLDWWLWW

Lost 2 in 10. Form.

I was waiting for Cully to post that.

PERIOD

:D

You know what, I missed the fact that we've now turned the corner, incredibly we've only lost 10 games out of the last 21 games, winning an amazing four and drawing 7 games. Apart from unluckily getting knocked out of the FA cup by a non league team and dumped out of the Johnstone Paint Trophy by 4th division Port Vale we're doing just fine. PERIOD

I feel sorry for all those posters who apparently are just hoping and waiting for Walsall to lose so that they can criticise Smith, slate the players and generally post some obscure facts about Smiths fantastic record as one of Walsall's worst ever managers.

Me, I'm enjoying our fantastic run, I'm hoping that Smith will eventually be so successful that he will manage England to win the next world cup. I can't wait for the next game............see you all at Preston, now what colour jumper shall I wear?

traymondo
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
i would like to mention Grigg who I thought was outstandng in leading the line and should have been Man of the Match.
Portsmouth were poor and its a sad reflection of the game today that they are where they are - whatever we think of the financial dealings the fans are always the ones that suffer.
Overall though a good solid performance and another win can only breed confidence.
Taylor mentioned the P word in his prematch Interview - its nice to dream.........

Paterson for some reason.

I thought it was between Grigg and Chambers.

Bit harsh. I thought Paterson had a great game. He's still fond of shooting early, but I thought last night there were glimpses of (gulp) composure on the ball, some silky skills playing out of defence, and awareness of the game such as the quick free kick for Grigg. He has potential and the club should be ensuring he's at the Bezla for some years yet.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:35 pm

traymondo wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Paterson for some reason.

I thought it was between Grigg and Chambers.

Bit harsh. I thought Paterson had a great game. He's still fond of shooting early, but I thought last night there were glimpses of (gulp) composure on the ball, some silky skills playing out of defence, and awareness of the game such as the quick free kick for Grigg. He has potential and the club should be ensuring he's at the Bezla for some years yet.

Don't take it as me having a pop at Paterson, but Grigg and Chambers were a cut above him.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:38 pm

Cully wrote:see you all at Preston, now what colour jumper shall I wear?

How about a hair shirt?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:03 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Westcarr was clearly playing for the camera's, as he was a totally different beast to the bloke who played vs Stevenage - he still managed to fluff two easy-ish chances, so I dont see what he brings to the team that George Bowerman doesnt.

Bowerman does all of his work in the box, whereas Westcarr links the play outside. We all saw what happened when Smith decided to play Grigg and Bowerman together for the last few minutes against Yeovil - we couldn't keep the ball in their half, the whole team fell apart and we dropped two points.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:21 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Westcarr was clearly playing for the camera's, as he was a totally different beast to the bloke who played vs Stevenage - he still managed to fluff two easy-ish chances, so I dont see what he brings to the team that George Bowerman doesnt.

Bowerman does all of his work in the box, whereas Westcarr links the play outside. We all saw what happened when Smith decided to play Grigg and Bowerman together for the last few minutes against Yeovil - we couldn't keep the ball in their half, the whole team fell apart and we dropped two points.

Spot on, Rob.

Anyone with a modicum of football understanding can see that.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:03 am

belgiansaddler wrote::D Happy

Are you happy then? :)

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:55 am

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote::D Happy

Are you happy then? :)

How did you guess :D

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Ooh i don't know, may have been the countless :D smillies that you posted.I totally agree with you though :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 pm

May I add my fourpenneth of congratulations to the lads 'outstanding' run of form...makes a great change to see us winning matches again, makes my life more bearable, working with seven Huddersfield fans...especially after the Leicester result!

Brandy reminds me of a younger Defoe, or has anyone mentioned that before? Great to see him 'coming good', earlier this season we were all writing him off with Hemmings, but he now seems to be able to frighten lumbering 3rd Division defences, which is great to see.

Keep up the good work UTS always

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:May I add my fourpenneth of congratulations to the lads 'outstanding' run of form...makes a great change to see us winning matches again, makes my life more bearable, working with seven Huddersfield fans...especially after the Leicester result!

Just remind them, gently, their dad is their cousin, and sheep dont count.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:58 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Brandy reminds me of a younger Defoe, or has anyone mentioned that before? Great to see him 'coming good', earlier this season we were all writing him off with Hemmings, but he now seems to be able to frighten lumbering 3rd Division defences, which is great to see.

I'm one of many who had written Brandy off not long into the season, but glad he's making me eat my words at the moment.

Game by game, he seems to be able to stay on his feet more - he had a tendency to run with his face about a foot away from the turf when he first came into the team. Taking the term low centre of gravity to extremes. :lol:

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season