Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stevenage (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/1/2013

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Stevenage (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/1/2013

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Also serves them right for being knobs and changing ends :)

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:50 pm

9 points out of 12 and some massively improved performances could we really start feeling optimistic again??

In terms of the game we really bossed the game but seemed to lack the final threat everybody mentioned with the orient game just couldn't get the ball in the net. I feel we missed Brandy after Flo went off injured as baxendale made very few touches let alone passes first half though in the second he did improve and start playing in purkiss who has a great cross on him to be fair although he looks more of a central attacking player then a winger (Baxo).

Flos injury was predictable didn't seem to lively in the warm up from what I remember and a lot of the early attacks that were not aerial all went to him who ran a lot gets into a 1 on 1 with a keeper and defender pulling him and he clearly pulled up and dropped to the floor. I agree with another poster with the weather and how he looked in previous sub appearances signs were not to good but what other options did we have other then baxendale or hemmings which really wouldn't be the full strength dean wanted.

Early tactics were poor long balls to grigg and patterson in the corners of the pitch but Grigg really worked every ball and put himself about today and would of been my MOTM especially considering some of the balls were terrible, we bossed the first 20 minutes or so then stevenage had a short spell of dominance then we were in charge again until half time.

Second half was much better we played our style of football more and some of the players clearly had a kick up the backside as the energy and tempo seemed to pick up.
By no means was it a pretty game so many sloppy fouls from both teams and a soft ref and few mistakes from both teams but really a scrappy 1-0 seemed fair to us as I would say we had much more control of the game and Patos goal was a belter I hope the FL show is on this time so we can see it again.

Darlow - 6 made a few good stops as well as 1 or 2 shaky moments with his defenders about collecting the ball and kicking was hit and miss but overall a decent return.

Butler - 7 bog standard game for butler really roughed up their players and pushed up on set pieces which he got his head to a fair few times.
Downing - 6 looked a little more nervous after the orient game 1 or 2 errors but generally consistent and coped well with some strong stevenage players
Taylor - 7 seemed to be doing fine on the wing closing the man and clearing the ball I didn't see if he was injured or not when being replaced
Purkiss - 7 solid going forward and defending my only worry is counter attacks due to how high he attacks as long as somebody covers we'll be fine.

Pato- 6 His usual self, but a great goal and thats what we need in a game like this.
Chambers- 5 frustrating game from him everytime he got the ball he passed it backwards immediately as if he didn't want the ball, also gave away some very sloppy fouls and everyone around me was expecting him to get sent off with his style of play and the soft ref.
Mantom - 6 he seems to blow hot and cold a pretty meh first half but a great second half with some fantastic balls to purkiss and baxendale.
Flo - can't really rate him for around 5 minutes of game time but he got himself about and got into some dangerous positions.

WestCarr - 5 slow and looks disinterested a lot and seems keen to get a foul rather then run with the ball. However he did make some good passes and links up well with other players almost in the macken role.
Grigg- 9 Did everything but score for me today he looked confident, won balls in the air and at his feet, ran a lot more and beat defenders. Had a header or 2 saved and was unlucky sending another shot to high. My only criticism was how much he went down today seemed to dive and complain a lot.

Baxendale - 7 poor first half but made up for it in the second half with a good partnership with purkiss and mantom overlapping and cutting inside looks dangerous when near the middle of the park compared to out wide.
Benning - 6 Tidy player did his job to a decent standard not quite at first team level yet but he is certainly getting there

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Big win today and a deserved one too. Was a poor first half but much the better team in second and you won't see many better strikes to win a game. Tremendous points haul over the festive season and a perfect way to go into Fridays match . Would be good to put another nail in pompeys coffin !!!

Well done to all concerned for this much needed and enjoyable return to form :D
Up the Saddlers , forever !!

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:03 pm

SaddlerCraig wrote:9 points out of 12 and some massively improved performances could we really start feeling optimistic again??

In terms of the game we really bossed the game but seemed to lack the final threat everybody mentioned with the orient game just couldn't get the ball in the net. I feel we missed Brandy after Flo went off injured as baxendale made very few touches let alone passes first half though in the second he did improve and start playing in purkiss who has a great cross on him to be fair although he looks more of a central attacking player then a winger (Baxo).

Flos injury was predictable didn't seem to lively in the warm up from what I remember and a lot of the early attacks that were not aerial all went to him who ran a lot gets into a 1 on 1 with a keeper and defender pulling him and he clearly pulled up and dropped to the floor. I agree with another poster with the weather and how he looked in previous sub appearances signs were not to good but what other options did we have other then baxendale or hemmings which really wouldn't be the full strength dean wanted.

Early tactics were poor long balls to grigg and patterson in the corners of the pitch but Grigg really worked every ball and put himself about today and would of been my MOTM especially considering some of the balls were terrible, we bossed the first 20 minutes or so then stevenage had a short spell of dominance then we were in charge again until half time.

Second half was much better we played our style of football more and some of the players clearly had a kick up the backside as the energy and tempo seemed to pick up.
By no means was it a pretty game so many sloppy fouls from both teams and a soft ref and few mistakes from both teams but really a scrappy 1-0 seemed fair to us as I would say we had much more control of the game and Patos goal was a belter I hope the FL show is on this time so we can see it again.

Darlow - 6 made a few good stops as well as 1 or 2 shaky moments with his defenders about collecting the ball and kicking was hit and miss but overall a decent return.

Butler - 7 bog standard game for butler really roughed up their players and pushed up on set pieces which he got his head to a fair few times.
Downing - 6 looked a little more nervous after the orient game 1 or 2 errors but generally consistent and coped well with some strong stevenage players
Taylor - 7 seemed to be doing fine on the wing closing the man and clearing the ball I didn't see if he was injured or not when being replaced
Purkiss - 7 solid going forward and defending my only worry is counter attacks due to how high he attacks as long as somebody covers we'll be fine.

Pato- 6 His usual self, but a great goal and thats what we need in a game like this.
Chambers- 5 frustrating game from him everytime he got the ball he passed it backwards immediately as if he didn't want the ball, also gave away some very sloppy fouls and everyone around me was expecting him to get sent off with his style of play and the soft ref.
Mantom - 6 he seems to blow hot and cold a pretty meh first half but a great second half with some fantastic balls to purkiss and baxendale.
Flo - can't really rate him for around 5 minutes of game time but he got himself about and got into some dangerous positions.

WestCarr - 5 slow and looks disinterested a lot and seems keen to get a foul rather then run with the ball. However he did make some good passes and links up well with other players almost in the macken role.
Grigg- 9 Did everything but score for me today he looked confident, won balls in the air and at his feet, ran a lot more and beat defenders. Had a header or 2 saved and was unlucky sending another shot to high. My only criticism was how much he went down today seemed to dive and complain a lot.

Baxendale - 7 poor first half but made up for it in the second half with a good partnership with purkiss and mantom overlapping and cutting inside looks dangerous when near the middle of the park compared to out wide.
Benning - 6 Tidy player did his job to a decent standard not quite at first team level yet but he is certainly getting there

Was you at the same match? Very good performance yet again from AC, strong in the tackle, broke up play well - has been a revelation since coming back into the side.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 pm

Glad to hear Baxendale had a good game. It's not that surprising to hear he took a while to get into the game, having barely kicked a ball since September. I still think that after Cuvelier, he's probably the one player we have with an eye for a killer pass.

Nice selection headache for Smith ahead of Friday's game, with Brandy available again.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Well I didn't expect that! Very scrappy first half - both sides were terrible, the second half was better but not by much! It will be interesting to see whether our style of play alters with pitches starting to cut up now. I was very concerned pre-match looking at the size of some of the Stevenage players but we coped with that extremely well. It was also nice to be on the right side of a late goal for once and it was an absolute belter!

Darlow 6 - Good save in the first half and constantly talked to his defence. Still looks shaky to me though, distribution was poor at times and doesn't really like coming off his line. Would prefer McCarey.

Butler 8 - Brilliant display from the skipper - cant remember him losing a header, despite his deadball distribution being woeful he makes up for it in other areas.
Downing 7 - Another very assured display from Paul, continually impresses for me, good distribution and his heading is also improving. Dealt well with Agyemang.
Taylor 6 - Will be a big loss, has impressed me in recent week but fully expect Benning to come in and do a decent job.
Purkiss 7 - Another solid performance, gets forward well and can put in a very decent cross when required.

Chambers 9 - Deserving of MOTM for me. Breaks up play well, solid in the tackle and his passing is also improving!
Mantom 5 - Sloppy game for me, his shooting was array - not his usual self.
Cuvelier 5 - Unfortunately this will be the end of Flo in a Walsall shirt. Great shame but he has provided excellent service and contributions to WFC and has a very bright future ahead of him.
Paterson 8 - Keeps on scoring goals and what a beauty it was at just the kind of time you want to be scoring a winning goal. Gave the ball away badly on a couple of occasions but more than made up with it with his strike. I genuinely like the kid and think he could have a very bright future and bring in a decent return of goals this season.

Westcarr 6 - Mixed game for me, did some very good stuff like holding the ball up when required and put in a super cross that no one got on the end of in the 2nd half, but at times the guy looks like he is playing in slow motion - still think he can do a very important job though.
Grigg 8 - Worked his backside off and was unlucky not to score in the 1st half with a very akwardly looking header.

Subs:
Baxendale 7 - Solid display, would like to see him run at players more, i.e. Brandy, as he has the skill
Benning 6 - Probably one of his weaker performances in the senior team but can only improve.
Bowerman 5 - Did nothing of note that I can remember.

Cracking result which sees of a cracking festive period. 3 wins out of 4 and unlucky not to get a point against Orient on Saturday. Pompey are there for the taking on Friday night and I maintain that I will be very disappointed if we are anywhere near the relegation zone come May. UTS :mrgreen:

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:19 pm

DYSaddler wrote:
SaddlerCraig wrote:9 points out of 12 and some massively improved performances could we really start feeling optimistic again??

Was you at the same match? Very good performance yet again from AC, strong in the tackle, broke up play well - has been a revelation since coming back into the side.

It would appear scoring a goal earns you 5 points as Chambers was streets ahead of the largely anonymous Paterson.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:21 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Glad to hear Baxendale had a good game. It's not that surprising to hear he took a while to get into the game, having barely kicked a ball since September. I still think that after Cuvelier, he's probably the one player we have with an eye for a killer pass.

Nice selection headache for Smith ahead of Friday's game, with Brandy available again.

Baxendale had a very good second half and I have been a fan of his since the start of the season, but for me Brandy has to come back in - simply because of his run of form before picking up his suspension and he will tear the Pompey defence apart with his pace.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Good battling win against a physical side. They shaded the first half, we were by far the better team in the second.

Darlow seemed solid enough in goal. Butler and Chambers played very well. Baxendale played quite well in the second. Great goal by Patterson, I've been very critical of him but he does come up with the goods at times and got to remember he's still very young. Any idea why he was so keen to celebrate in front of their fans?

One thing that frustrates me is the whole switching wing policy, Baxendale was roasting their left back but then all of a sudden he has moved to the left wing. I know this tactic is meant to confuse the opposition, but half the time it seems to confuse our players more!

I liked the look of Morais for them, a real proper No.10, would love us to get a player like that.

Lets beat Pompey on Friday now and push up the table!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:34 pm

I think Patersons reaction stems from the abuse he got at their ground, after being kicked about.

I thought it was a bostin celebration.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Chambers - 5?!!!!!

He looked the only player in the first half prepared to mix it at all. Made some great interceptions, unlucky with his yellow card, steadied the younger players with his composure, etc. etc....

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:47 pm

King Crimson wrote:Chambers - 5?!!!!!

He looked the only player in the first half prepared to mix it at all. Made some great interceptions, unlucky with his yellow card, steadied the younger players with his composure, etc. etc....

Thought that myself. Had him down for man of the match.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:50 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Chambers - 5?!!!!!

Thought that myself. Had him down for man of the match.

Him and Mantom battled nicely. Both good on the ball too

Chris
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:43 pm

Chambers played well. I think it's a common mistake to overlook the fact that some players are given a specific role within their position. In Chambers' case it was, as many have said already, to break up play and give the ball to someone else to do something with it. He did what he had to do well and was a big part of the win. Scoring him a 5 is insanely harsh.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:49 pm

#midtablemediocrity :mrgreen:

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:50 pm

NB: The referee was an absolute disgrace today, worst I have seen in some time! Took ages to get play going again when he had given a free kick and the majority of his decision were atrocious. Just saying :mrgreen:

heretosayafewwords

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:51 pm

I was lucky enough to be there with the sponsors today, Kia.

We picked Adam Chambers for two simple reasons. In the first half he was the only player on the pitch who performed. Energy, passion, simple but safe passing, retained possesion superbly. Second half he carried that on and did a brilliant job in slowing them down and supporting play as we got forward. Sloppy fouls?! He is a ball winning midfielder, kind of comes with the job im afraid - makes me wonder if some people watching the game have ever, and I mean ever, played football. Bizarre.

Baxendale would have been motm just on the second half - did nothing in the first half when he came on though.

Number 11 for Stevenage had an amazing burst of pace and some skill to boot, he was by far their most dangerous player. I would love us to sign him, exactly what sides in our league need, great player.

A very good display in terms of being stubborn and keeping at them. We could have folded under the relentless kicking they dished out but we didnt, that was excellent to see.

Grigg stll baffles me. People seem to praise for being static and getting fouled - is that really an attribute? He is a striker who truthfully has not got a, enough pace and b, skill. He works reasonably well in our line up but I would take Brandy over Grigg every single time. Pace kills league 1 defenders, Brandy has plenty, Grigg has none. Grigg telegraphs when he is about to shoot - slow opeing his body up, lacks a trick to gain that crucial shooting gap.

3 points, great goal to win from a player who had done nothing for 85 minutes - sign of a good player?! The boy certainly has some great things in his locker. A good end to the festive period and I am certain we can take another 3 points from the bankrupt boys.

UTS.

mossa

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Pleasing battling performance today I thought. Quite an even game we perhaps just shaded but generally defence was on top for both teams today. Don't think I could really think of a bad player for us today everyone put in a shift and was nice to win a game late on for a change rather than concede.
Darlow- 7 Did everything well today with 1 good save in the first half. In my opinion underrated by a lot of our supporters who seemed to blame him for not keeping clean sheets before even though our defence was shocking at that time.
Purkiss- 7 Solid and better than Taundry in every department. We look much better with him in the team.
Taylor- 6 Was doing okay before he got subbed, nothing special though.
Downing- 8 Ran Chamvers very close for my motm. Thought he was excellent, definately better with him in the team. He is better on the ball than Butler and Holden who are too similar to work together IMO.
Butler- 8 usual Butler display, put his head in when needed and didn't give their strikers much of a look in.
Mantom- 7 Starting to perform better now his had a run in the team. Battled and created a lot of speace for himself.
Chambers-8. My MOTM. Battled hard, broke up lots of attacks and played the obvious ball well all afternoon.
Paterson- 8 Took his goal fantasticly well and looked a threat. Being Paterson he did make a few wrong decisions at times but worked hard today and credit where it's due.
Baxendale- 7 Slow first half when he came on but looked very sharp in the second half. Went on some nice runs and also looked a threat
Westcarr- 7 Difficult one this. Haven't read other comments on here but I would say he did fairly well. He does hold on the ball too long at times which makes him look like his being a bit lazy but he won headers and worked hard and deserves his 7.
Grigg- 6 Worked hard, very hard as usual but struggled against two huge strikers.
Benning- 6 Seemed to work up the away fans for some reason. Played okay generally but a few strange passes affected his performance. Definately has abilty though and one for the future.

So overall quite pleasing performance without being spectacular. Smith is a strange manager, just when I had lost all confidence in him he then wins 3 out of 4 games.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:11 pm

Can't really add much to the reports already submitted. I take the point about Flo's readiness for 90 minutes, but presumably the powers-that-be at both Sjoke and Walsall had given the matter much thought. Maybe some strapping might have helped. In the event, a 20-yard lofted pass was scooped forwards to Stevenage's penalty area and Flo set off like a greyhound, accompanied by a Stevenage defender. He hadn't gone more than 8 or 9 yards when he pulled up obviously in pain - he wasn't even able to walk off the pitch, it was a stretcher job and I doubt very much if he will kick a ball in anger again this season. He will be a great loss to us.

That was after 8 minutes, and on 37 minutes Andy Taylor suffered what looked like a similar injury as he stretched to clear a Stevenage forward move. He was able to stand up, but would have been a definite passenger had he stayed on.

Stevenage are not just a big side, they use their height and strength in all sorts of legal and illegal ways. Grigg was certainly singled out for rough treatment, and I have to say that today's referee offered no protection whatever to players who were being unceremoniusly dumped on the turf again and again. For the whole of the first half and most of the second, there was only one team actually trying to play football. Eventually Stevenage did adopt some passing ground level moves, but neither side had shown enough invention or ability to be able to score. Darlow had been called upon a couple of times to beat out snap-shots but we hadn't tested their keeper at all, and a final score of 0-0 seemed on the cards. A draw would have been possibly a fair result (and a welcome point and clean sheet for us) but then with 3 minutes left on the clock Jamie Paterson received the ball in what I would have once called the inside-right position, took it to just outside the penalty area and unleashed a left-foot strike that would have graced any ground. The common reaction from those around me was "Well, where did THAT come from???".

Enough of my meanderings....roll on Friday, and the chance to set right that awful injustice the last time we were "live" on Sky (Shrewsbury, remember?)

UTS :mrgreen:

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:25 pm

bangsection wrote:Closer to the playoffs than the relegation places on January 1st? Who'd have thunk it?!

Still think Smith has to goo though as this mini-run is clearly entirely down to Cully's lucky purple jumper.

Please try and keep up, this weeks lucky jumper is Royal Blue. It's a good job Smith has my jumper collection to fall back on to, where would we be without them? If only I'd started wearing them when we were on our luckless win less run of 16 games, we'd probably still be in the FA Cup, the FL Trophy and be top of the league. Dean must be correct, it just goes to show what luck has to play in our results.

I therefore agree with your conclusion, Smith [apparently still learning] out - he's rubbish.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Absolutely delighted with the win today!

While we weren't great in the first half I thought we were the team in control. Second half we came out and had a real go and thoroughly deserved maximum points in my opinion.

Darlow - Personally very pleased to have him back. This kid will be a good Championship keeper one day and has genuine 'potential'. If I were Darlow I'd be insulted even being compared with 'Groffy the clown'. Anyway back to the game - couple of poor kicks but his quality save in the first half more than made up for them. Overall a very good return performance. 7.

Purkiss - Steady performance although he did seem to get caught out on a couple of occasions. Nevertheless if he can maintain this form will be difficult to dislodge. 6.

Taylor - Played well until his injury. Hoping for a speedy recovery. 6.

Butler - Excellent performance from the Skipper. Looked back to his form of old. 7.

Downing - First time I have seriously watched this lad and I have to say I was very impressed. Seemed composed against an experienced and challenging Stevenage forward line. What I really like about him is that he goes about this business quietly but very effectively. 7.

Cuvelier - Gutted for the lad. In an age of very average footballers believing their own hype, Flo is very much the opposite. I know he was desperate to help the club climb the table and will be disappointed how his second spell has ended. Unfortunately we won't be seeing young Flo in a Saddlers shirt again but I'd personally like to thank him for his contribution and commitment - first class pro. 5.

Mantom - Improved as the game went on. I don't believe Sam has yet to show the form of last season's spell but he certainly seems to be improving. Developing a good understanding with his fellow enforcer, A. Chambers. 7.

A. Chambers - Thoroughly deserved MOTM. 8.

Westcarr - One of his quieter games but showed glimpses of what he is capable of. 6.

Paterson - This lad frustrates the hell out of me most weeks but today I thought he was superb. Got on the ball and used it effectively and as for his goal...........! 7.

Grigg - Worked hard but found it difficult against two 10ft 6 centre halfs. Nevertheless he always looked keen to get a shot away and never gave up. 6.

Subs.

Baxendale - Improved considerably in the second half but will need to raise his game considerably to become a regular in the Flo role. 6.

Benning - Steady enough although he did get done on a couple of occasions. 5.

Bowerman - Had little time to make an impact. 5.

Role on Friday!
Last edited by Walsall_Casual on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Cully wrote:
bangsection wrote:Closer to the playoffs than the relegation places on January 1st? Who'd have thunk it?!

Still think Smith has to goo though as this mini-run is clearly entirely down to Cully's lucky purple jumper.

Please try and keep up, this weeks lucky jumper is Royal Blue. It's a good job Smith has my jumper collection to fall back on to, where would we be without them? If only I'd started wearing them when we were on our luckless win less run of 16 games, we'd probably still be in the FA Cup, the FL Trophy and be top of the league. Dean must be correct, it just goes to show what luck has to play in our results.

I therefore agree with your conclusion, Smith [apparently still learning] out - he's rubbish.

Early injuries today prevented his match-transforming substitutions.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:34 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Cully wrote:

Early injuries today prevented his match-transforming substitutions.

Thank fudge for small mercies eh?

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Beaut result, especially getting the late goal, makes a nice change!

Really got to go at Portsmouth now, there for the taking

Perkwins

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Great result and a nice little run of form that was totally unexpected.

We seem to be more solid at the back with the return of purkiss at right back and the introduction of downing for Holden.

Optimistic for 3 points against Pompey now! Shame about curvelier, really enjoyed watching him play over both loans and fingers crossed he makes a speedy recovery.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:35 pm

Cully wrote:I therefore agree with your conclusion, Smith [apparently still learning] out - he's rubbish.

What's happened to the CuLLy Form Guide, AKA the SmithOut-ometer?

Surely a paltry three wins in four games hasn't been enough to force it into early retirement? For shame!

CuLLy Form Guide OUT! CuWWy Form Guide IN!

SWS1

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 am

Anybody notice, the team we "slaughtered" on TV a few weeks ago but who sneaked one past us did it again: they beat Coventry 1 - 0 (yes, the team that put 5 past us) after being grilled for most of the game and, again, their goalie had a bit of a blinder. :evil:
Looks like we may both be in THIS division next season. :shock:

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:55 am

i have not been so glad to beat a side (other than franchise) for a long long time. they were so dirty it was unbelieveable, elbows, pulling, pushing, kicking, fouling (probably biteing, spiting, gougeing)... i love a good hard game but they may aswell have been playing ruggers! not that the muppet of a ref helped, has the idiot never heard of yellow cards for persistent fouling??? how those neanderthals only got 2 yellows i will never know... anyway, to the game of Football 'we' played....

Darlow - decent game but not as commanding as Mcarey. I dont see much different from a confident groff, but going on Lincoln i'm glad he is here if Mcarey isnt an option longer term. He does need to command his box more and come off his line quicker though- 6

Purkiss - compared to taundry he is a god - 7
taylor - solid performance until his injury - 7
Butler - so much better with a calmer influence who reads the game (ie Downing). he can just get on with his game and beat everyone to the ball as he did today - 8
Downing - Calm, composed, reads the game well, but not the greatest in the air. he complements meat head butler well. centrebacks need to work in partnerships and a meat head/calm guy partnership normaly works - 7

Chambers - did the simple things very well - 8
Manton - better than last few games, few awsome passes - 7
Paterson - good goal, a few bright touches, rest was his usual awful self. how can someone be so good one minute and so tat the rest of the time. I feel harsh as he has won the game for us, but i can not help feeling that if you play hemmings consistentley he woul offer far more correct decisions. He tries that 'chav' turn/pass far too much to show off! One swing of the boot can not hide the defficiencies - 6
Flo - injured, hopefully back post injury/transfer window??

Westcarr - Looks decent but took too long on occasions. kind of like Patterson but obviously more physical. - 6
Grigg - gave their CB's a good game with little service. Held the ball up well considering said service and got a decent header onto the only slightly decent cross he had. could have been more direct rather than looking to pass on a couple of occasions though. As said before, balls into feet, with support, and he will kill teams. Taken off by Smith in a weird change considering Westcarr was knackered and Grigg had been far better... - 8

subs:
Baxendale - performance improved as he went on. started to look back to his Sept best in last 20 mins.
Benning - ok whilst the thugs kicked him around, much better once he got his head together
Bowerman - didnt get the point of taking grigg off, Bowerman is meant to score (fox in the box???) but didnt get on the end of either ball whipped across the box. he offers nothing else...
Taundry = thank god he is nowhere near the team! Pelsall Villa subs bench may be more appropriate

Smith - didnt get Bowerman for grigg but it worked i suppose. still think he was lucky that the cavemens hump it tactics didnt work, and that luckily they have no plan b.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:18 am

Great result. Happy with that!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:23 am

LancsSaddler wrote:Smith - didnt get Bowerman for grigg but it worked i suppose. still think he was lucky that the cavemens hump it tactics didnt work, and that luckily they have no plan b.

I think you've got to give credit where it's due - Stevenage have won seven games away from home, so keeping a clean sheet against them is no mean feat. Plan B or not, they're a tricky side to beat.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season