Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stevenage (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/1/2013

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
asimpson
UTS Regular

Re: Stevenage (H) League 1 Tuesday 1/1/2013

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Stevenage hit post from freekick

asimpson
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Another injury. Andy Taylor groin strain. Benning to come on.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:41 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
asimpson wrote:Flo hamstring gone again. Baxandale on to replace him.

The 'omens' dont look too good for the prospects of Flo being much help in our relegation battle, will have to rely on Brandy
to do the biz....

Relegation battle?

Chester, we all have to live in the 'real' world, luckily there are some relegation certainties down there, Colchester look as likely as any, Pompey still have a ten point deduction to come (Their mercanaries seem to have eaten too many mince pies on todays evidence!), Bury are poor, but Scunny will escape, I fear we are amongst the 'other' candidates, ask any Bookies, they aye all rich by being wrong most of the time!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:So we have conspired to injure our best player. Brilliant management again.

Behave

A player has had a hamstring injury - which is a long time for a Hamstring with delayed comebacks. He hasn't played more than 25 mins as a sub and it's a cold day. The pace of a game is much higher at the start.

Anyone with an ounce of logic can work out throwing a player like that in is a massive risk and the negatives of that defInitely outweigh the positives.

Seems to me like they have shoe-horned him in.

I would imagine that Stoke would have been involved in the determination of his fitness. Given that he was declared fit before the Colchester game, but only today has been included in the starting line up, suggests that due care has been taken.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
asimpson wrote:Flo hamstring gone again. Baxandale on to replace him.

The 'omens' dont look too good for the prospects of Flo being much help in our relegation battle, will have to rely on Brandy
to do the biz....

Relegation battle?

Chester, we all have to live in the 'real' world, luckily there are some relegation certainties down there, Colchester look as likely as any, Pompey still have a ten point deduction to come (Their mercanaries seem to have eaten too many mince pies on todays evidence!), Bury are poor, but Scunny will escape, I fear we are amongst the 'other' candidates, ask any Bookies, they aye all rich by being wrong most of the time!

We ay been in the relegation places all season and I don't see that changing. Going on your logic, anyone from 12th down is in a relegation battle. I prefer my glass to be half full, looking forward to a mid table finish.

SWS1

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:48 pm

As an aside - can anyone tell me whether BLOCKED SHOTS are included in the shot-count on the BBC Footy website stats? :?:
And while I'm at it, do shots that hit the woodwork count as off-target or on-target? :?:
Also, is it a coincidence that several goalies have had their best performance of the season - or at least pulled off a couple of wonder saves - against us? It was certainly true of Shrewsbury and, by repute, Orient and several others.
Last edited by SWS1 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asimpson
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Half Time 0-0

Pretty even game. Walsall have passed the ball quite well but lacking finishing touch. Stevenage have had better chances.

Bad news is the injuries to Flo and Taylor. Good news is that Darlow seems to be doing well.

First goal will be vital in this match.

SWS1

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:54 pm

asimpson wrote:Half Time 0-0

Pretty even game. Walsall have passed the ball quite well but lacking finishing touch. Stevenage have had better chances.

Bad news is the injuries to Flo and Taylor. Good news is that Darlow seems to be doing well.

I always think it's the winning goal (or the drawing goal) that is vital :lol:
Oh, and it's lovely if you get one late on. :D It's gutting when you concede one late on. :evil:
I wonder which way it has gone most often for us this season. :evil: (Don't answer that).

SWS1

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:56 pm

[quote="asimpson"]Half Time 0-0

Pretty even game. Walsall have passed the ball quite well but lacking finishing touch.

Story of our whole season so far, perhaps?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:So we have conspired to injure our best player. Brilliant management again.

Behave

A player has had a hamstring injury - which is a long time for a Hamstring with delayed comebacks. He hasn't played more than 25 mins as a sub and it's a cold day. The pace of a game is much higher at the start.

Anyone with an ounce of logic can work out throwing a player like that in is a massive risk and the negatives of that defInitely outweigh the positives.

Criticism for criticism's sake there, I'm afraid. He's been back to Stoke for treatment, returned and come through training matches and two substitute appearances unscathed. How long were we supposed to leave it before playing him from the start?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:05 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Behave

Criticism for criticism's sake there, I'm afraid. He's been back to Stoke for treatment, returned and come through training matches and two substitute appearances unscathed. How long were we supposed to leave it before playing him from the start?

I don't think two brief substitute appearances is enough - especially In cold weather. That is my point.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:09 pm

3301 with 207 egg chasers

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Still playing ok. Set pieces are cack.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Yay :D :D 1-0

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Get in there! Paterson doing the business of late, as infuriating as he can be at times.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:52 pm

As they say uuup North ..Gradely!!! get in there me babbies........

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:52 pm

Yes!!!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:56 pm

1-0 FT :D :D

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:59 pm

9 points out of a possible 12 and 2 clean sheets. Can't complain really. Well done lads. The comment on rushing Cuvelier back is one of the silliest things i've ever heard.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:01 pm

A great three points, and now three wins out of four. I hardly expected that return after the way we threw away the points against Yeovil, but that is football, and that is Walsall.

Now, surely Pompey are there for the taking after their hammering at Swindon today?

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Stuck in traffic.... didnt think the goal was going to come but it did :D

Gutted about Flo

We've now taken 10 points from 15 and our next 2 games Pompey at home & Preston away, maybe another 4 points? Why not! :D

UTS

SWS1

SWS1 wrote:
asimpson wrote:Half Time 0-0

I always think it's the winning goal (or the drawing goal) that is vital :lol:
Oh, and it's lovely if you get one late on. :D It's gutting when you concede one late on. :evil:
I wonder which way it has gone most often for us this season. :evil: (Don't answer that).

But as I said, it's lovely if you get one :D :D :D :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

BathSaddler wrote:Now, surely Pompey are there for the taking after their hammering at Swindon today?

You'd think so wouldn't you. I can't remember the last time we won back to back home games though - nor can I remember the last time we won a game live on Sky!

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Closer to the playoffs than the relegation places on January 1st? Who'd have thunk it?!

Still think Smith has to goo though as this mini-run is clearly entirely down to Cully's lucky purple jumper.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Saarland Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Behave

I don't think two brief substitute appearances is enough - especially In cold weather. That is my point.

Great hindsight though haven't you.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:9 points out of a possible 12 and 2 clean sheets. Can't complain really. Well done lads. The comment on rushing Cuvelier back is one of the silliest things i've ever heard.

Have a read of SOT. Saarland writes even dafter stuff on there :mrgreen:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Football was also the winner this afternoon.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:25 pm

Ive just got back, first game in a while, quick report before im off out again.

First half was absymal from both teams really, they were unlucky not to score if not for a top drawer save from Darlow and a freekick that hit the bar. Stevenage are proper thuggers, they are guff. How they are tenth is a mystery. We coped quite well with their physicality, Butler was immense, and so was Downing. Really sweet we got the win in the end, great strike from arguably the poorest player on the pitch, but had a sudden burst of energy in the last 15 minutes. Baxendale also had a superb second half. We also looked quite fit considering we have played lots of games and controlled the second half with ease.

Cuvelier has had it for a while, just a heavy pitch and a sprint. No one to blame really. Taylor did the same.

Stevenage amazed me by clearly coming out in the second half to defend, thankfully we kept the pressure up quite well without really making any chances. Special shout out for Anthony Grant, what a knob!

Darlow - Quiet game but he came out and gathered every loose ball, and made one superb reaction save.
Purkiss - Thankfully they didnt run at him, but he played well in the air and was a permanent fixture in their half.
Downing - Holden wont get back in the team if he carries on.
Butler - His kind of game, he loved it. Id play him upfront though for his silky skills :D
Taylor/Benning - Taylor crocked, Benning is another tidy player, but he got done up a kipper a few times.

Baxendale - Pretty poor first half, thought he was superb second.
Mantom- Could easily have been Motm.
Chambers - Whats he been having? Controlled the midfield with Mantom.
Paterson - His usual self, but his goal, shows why we need him, none of our other players would have been able to do that.

Grigg- Tried hard, worked his nadgers off. Probably should have scored his header in the first ten minutes.
Westcarr- He is Michael Ricketts, lazy feck and a bit of a mincer, but knows how to play. Bit quiet today though.

Dean Smith - No dodgy subs! Ace!

UTS

Worsul
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:37 pm

latviancheese wrote:Ive just got back, first game in a while, quick report before im off out again.

First half was absymal from both teams really, they were unlucky not to score if not for a top drawer save from Darlow and a freekick that hit the bar. Stevenage are proper thuggers, they are guff. How they are tenth is a mystery. We coped quite well with their physicality, Butler was immense, and so was Downing. Really sweet we got the win in the end, great strike from arguably the poorest player on the pitch, but had a sudden burst of energy in the last 15 minutes. Baxendale also had a superb second half. We also looked quite fit considering we have played lots of games and controlled the second half with ease.

Cuvelier has had it for a while, just a heavy pitch and a sprint. No one to blame really. Taylor did the same.

Stevenage amazed me by clearly coming out in the second half to defend, thankfully we kept the pressure up quite well without really making any chances. Special shout out for Anthony Grant, what a knob!

Darlow - Quiet game but he came out and gathered every loose ball, and made one superb reaction save.
Purkiss - Thankfully they didnt run at him, but he played well in the air and was a permanent fixture in their half.
Downing - Holden wont get back in the team if he carries on.
Butler - His kind of game, he loved it. Id play him upfront though for his silky skills :D
Taylor/Benning - Taylor crocked, Benning is another tidy player, but he got done up a kipper a few times.

Baxendale - Pretty poor first half, thought he was superb second.
Mantom- Could easily have been Motm.
Chambers - Whats he been having? Controlled the midfield with Mantom.
Paterson - His usual self, but his goal, shows why we need him, none of our other players would have been able to do that.

Grigg- Tried hard, worked his nadgers off. Probably should have scored his header in the first ten minutes.
Westcarr- He is Michael Ricketts, lazy feck and a bit of a mincer, but knows how to play. Bit quiet today though.

Dean Smith - No dodgy subs! Ace!

UTS

I thought we looked more energetic than previous home games. The closing down/tracking back went a long way towards keeping the clean sheet.

Also, nice to be on the end of a winning goal in the last 5 mins rather than the other way around.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Pro's:
3 points
Paterson's great goal
Baxendale's excellent 2nd half performance
Great defending from the CB's
Darlow being just great
Clean Sheet
Played well even without Flo and Brandy, whereas before against Lincoln and such we we worse than dire
No late goals conceded
Great level of fitness
Midfielders looked strong and controlling
Deano not making stupid subs
Beating the fouling dirty bastards that is Stevenage RUFC
Paterson and the team celebrating our goal right in front of the Stevenage fans, as well as rubbing it in!
Darlow's Ronaldo chop!

Negatives:
Flo out
Taylor out
Benning getting murdered
Lack of finishing - or even a shot, from both Grigg and Westcarr
Westcarr having a bit of a howler

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season