Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (A) League 1 Saturtday 29/12/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Re: Leyton Orient (A) League 1 Saturtday 29/12/12.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:53 am

Just seen the goals on the tele. It looked to me as if Mccarey should have saved the 1st goal.

I don't really rate the guy, he seems to have a good presence and looks alright at crosses, but shots on target seem to beat him very easily and he gets down very slowly.

Its quite special to manage to go through three duff goalkeepers in half a season.
Last edited by pumajaguar on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 am

pumajaguar wrote:Just seen the goals on the tele. It looked to me as if Mccarey should have saved the 1st goal.

I don't really rate the guy, he seems to have a good presence and looks alight at crosses, but shots on target seem to beat him very easily and he gets down very slowly.

Its quite special to mange to go through three duff goalkeepers in half a season.

Yeah, cracking decisions by Smith :roll:

We may as well have stuck with our own "duff" goalkeeper, rather than give experience to other clubs keepers.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 pm

He really shouldnt be letting in goals from that angle...

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:50 pm

lichsaddler wrote:Can't understand how you can criticise Smith for his subs. He took off Westcarr for Cuvelier so Flo could come on and hopefully have an influence playing in his best position - just off the striker. Grigg was doing OK but didn't look too threatening. We needed a goal and Bowerman did well when he came on against Colchester so that substitution made perfect sense as well. Despite making some awful decisions regarding subs and some point this season, I feel people find it easy to criticise subs when they can't think of anything else to criticise.

It was Brandy who was subbed for Cuvelier, not Westcarr. And that's what I (and many other fans judging by the murmurs going round the stand) couldn't understand. To me, switching Brandy to a central role made more sense - his pace against tiring defenders would have been a decent option for the last twenty minutes. Instead we got Bowerman and Cuvelier who were almost entirely anonymous. That's their fault rather than Smith's, but I stand by my opinion that Brandy going off was strange. We definitely needed to change things as we created virtually nothing in the second half but either bring Westcarr off (who looked tired and is not going to scare defenders like Brandy does) as a straight swap for the Belgian or maybe even go 4-4-2 with Grigg and Brandy up top.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a catastrophic error or anything but I'm afraid given Smith's history of questionable substitutions people are naturally going to analyse his changes more than they might other managers. If we're sometimes guilty of over-analysing them then that's kind of understandable.

If it turns out Brandy had a knock or something I'll be happy to stand corrected!

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:11 pm

bangsection wrote:
Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a catastrophic error or anything but I'm afraid given Smith's history of questionable substitutions people are naturally going to analyse his changes more than they might other managers. If we're sometimes guilty of over-analysing them then that's kind of understandable.

1. Don't understand why it is the players fault when clearly they don't make the decision to substitute and I am assuming that when Smith has sent them, they have a set of clear and precise information regarding their role in the team, what's expected of them, the tactics they should employ etc. Or course they are allowed to be crap as well and that is clearly down to them but if he [Smith] gives them a role that they can neither understand or perform then that is Smiths fault.
2. I don't know whether you'd care to re read what I've quoted above, Smiths record of questionable substitutions ARE the reason why people analyse them, absolutely nothing to do with any other manager :roll:

Oh and I didn't go because I was partly too busy constructing a lucky shrine, something that Dim Deano obviously has great faith in. Get rid of him and my shrine because they asre both rubbish and you know it :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:57 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:We don't have heroes anymore, this is why it is so hard to get kids down there to watch us. Who was the last one we had? I think it's probably Jorge, although I may have missed someone out. There is no one the kids can relate too these days, we probably wont have half the team that played today next season.

When I started going, they players were like gods to me, I loved them, I felt part of something, now it is just 11 players wearing a Walsall shirt, that give or take the odd one, couldn't really care less.

I agree, and I think this is as big an issue as those who no longer go to games because of Bonser. It's all well and good giving away free season tickets to kids, but they still need players they can't wait to watch on a Saturday afternoon.

Of the current crop, is there any name a nine year old kid would want on the back of ther replica shirt? Probably not.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:13 pm

Cully wrote:
1. Don't understand why it is the players fault when clearly they don't make the decision to substitute and I am assuming that when Smith has sent them, they have a set of clear and precise information regarding their role in the team, what's expected of them, the tactics they should employ etc. Or course they are allowed to be crud as well and that is clearly down to them but if he [Smith] gives them a role that they can neither understand or perform then that is Smiths fault.

As I said, it is the player's fault when they don't perform - and that was the case with Bowerman and Cuvelier yesterday. There was no indication that Smith had given them instructions or roles that they couldn't understand yesterday - Bowerman up front on his own and Cuvelier operating behind him are roles that both players are accustomed to. My point was that Cuvelier for Brandy was an odd substitution given how well the wee fella's been playing recently and how his pace and direct running can unsettle tired defenders late in a game.

Cully wrote:
2. I don't know whether you'd care to re read what I've quoted above, Smiths record of questionable substitutions ARE the reason why people analyse them, absolutely nothing to do with any other manager :roll:

Er, yes, that's exactly what I said. Glad you agree!

Really Cully, the deconsecration of your miracle jumper seems to have discombobulated you somewhat. I suggest a lie down and a flick through a knitwear catalogue. Another day, another mohair waistcoat!

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Cully - will miracle sweater (jumper is not a term us colonials use) be worn at the Stevenage RUFC match - need to know before predicting scoreline

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:57 pm

canadiansaddler wrote:Cully - will miracle sweater (jumper is not a term us colonials use) be worn at the Stevenage RUFC match - need to know before predicting scoreline

I prefer the term 'HMP Stevenage' as a more accurate reflection of their footballing... erm... 'qualities'.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:54 pm

canadiansaddler wrote:Cully - will miracle sweater (jumper is not a term us colonials use) be worn at the Stevenage RUFC match - need to know before predicting scoreline

The so called 'lucky jumper' [sweater] has been banished to the spare room wardrobe while I try to think of a suitable punishment for it's lack of performance despite my explicit instructions for the Orient match. I will therefore be wearing a Royal Blue Jumper purchased from the same batch to improve the luck performance ratio of this particular style. Early indications, jaunty hanging angle and position in jumper wardrobe, promise a positive result ie D or W therefore I advise placing a modest bet of say £25 at 7/5 to win [av. current odds] which will return £60, just enough to be able to purchase the Violet version of said jumper.

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season