Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dons (A) League 1 Wednesday 26/12/12;

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Milton Keynes Dons (A) League 1 Wednesday 26/12/12;

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Was 7-0 v Chelsea. Rimmers debut, he missed (or rather Beasant saved) his penalty.

Sunderland away was a great day, as was Stoke when we also won 3-0. Not a true comparison though at all, we were far worse that season than we are this year relative to the division we are in. We only won 5 games all season that season. Blues, Sunderland twice, Brighton and Stoke.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:43 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Was 7-0 v Chelsea. Rimmers debut, he missed (or rather Beasant saved) his penalty.

Sunderland away was a great day, as was Stoke when we also won 3-0. Not a true comparison though at all, we were far worse that season than we are this year relative to the division we are in. We only won 5 games all season that season. Blues, Sunderland twice, Brighton and Stoke.

I stand corrected, we didn't score! I may be thinking of an 8-1 drubbing at Bolton at thier old ground, I was with the Bolton fans that day, the wife is from Atherton, a mere few miles away from Bolton, a lot of our friends during that time were ardent Notlob fans, an urged me to accompany them.....a most embarrassing experience, does anyone remember the Bolton defence standing aside to allow us to score the consolation? now THAT WAS embarrassment!! :( :(

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Was 7-0 v Chelsea. Rimmers debut, he missed (or rather Beasant saved) his penalty.

I stand corrected, we didn't score! I may be thinking of an 8-1 drubbing at Bolton at thier old ground, I was with the Bolton fans that day, the wife is from Atherton, a mere few miles away from Bolton, a lot of our friends during that time were ardent Notlob fans, an urged me to accompany them.....a most embarrassing experience, does anyone remember the Bolton defence standing aside to allow us to score the consolation? now THAT WAS embarrassment!! :( :(

Live not far from there Tyldesley hence the name but my mom live's in Atherton. Hag Fold also known as Shag Fold :mrgreen:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Funnily enough, the same year we started on that League Cup run to the semi final!

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 am

Wasn't that the game that Dave Bathurst cheerily announced to Chelsea supporters (as we wearily trudged off the pitch), that videos of the game would be available from the club.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:50 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Yeah I was at Bolton, only a young kid, but was there all the same, and can remember horror flash backs :lol: I also went to Oxford the same season when we lost 6-3. As Neil said was the season we played Liverpool, and in all honesty the closest Buckley ever got to getting us promoted, we looked odds on to go up until after the Liverpool game, all down hill from there on, when we signed Bamber, and got Tony Godden in on loan (Rumour is Buckley blamed Ron Green for the Liverpool defeat, not sure how true that is though) Remember going to Wimbledon towards the end of that season, another drubbing 3-0. Buckley's sides were always good at home, but the away form always let them down.

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:50 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Was a superb goal, the kind we were used to David Kelly scoring. Keep it up Will-I-Am.

Yes , I thought that too.... very Kelly esque , very skilful.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:18 am

MILO5 wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:Was a superb goal, the kind we were used to David Kelly scoring. Keep it up Will-I-Am.

Yes , I thought that too.... very Kelly esque , very skilful.

Even I have to admit that that was a goal like we used to see from a Walsall team years ago (even though we would probably have lost 6-5!! :lol: :lol: )

I say bring back the REAL Grigg, can't take much more humble pie!!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:28 am

I think it is as much to do with attitude as anything with Grigg. He has some undoubted ability, although possibly not enough to be one we sell on for money in the future, enough to do a decent enough job for us (Better than some of the journeymen strikers we have signed over recent years)

However half the time he looks like he'd rather be somewhere else, another day when things weren't going for him, when he couldn't be arsed, that ball would have slid away from him, and he would have stood there with his hands on his hips looking like the whole world was against him.

I still believe one way or another they need to fit Bowerman in though, stories about him having a bad attitude too, fall outs with Dean Smith or whatever, but at the end of the day, if you can supply him, he will score goals. His movement off the ball is far better than Griggs too.

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season