Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League 1 Saturday 22/12/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Colchester United (H) League 1 Saturday 22/12/12.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:56 pm

aaaae wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:We have won a game and the thread is only 3 pages long, compare that to the previous 16 match threads.. :roll:

Because people are happy when we win and get on with a nice Saturday night and are pead off when we lose and want to vent. Nothing untoward about that as far as I'm concerned. I wish the manager was more pead off when we lose.

More like people can't really justify moaning on here when we put in a performance like today, whereas any excuse for a poor display/result the threads are booming.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 pm

PT wrote:As we left the ground today, some Colchester fans told me we'd been "lacky". If anyone speaks Essex perhaps they'd like to translate. I thought we were worthy of the win.

Sh@ it, you slaaaaag.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:02 pm

DYSaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:We have won a game and the thread is only 3 pages long, compare that to the previous 16 match threads.. :roll:

Because people are happy when we win and get on with a nice Saturday night and are pead off when we lose and want to vent. Nothing untoward about that as far as I'm concerned. I wish the manager was more pead off when we lose.

More like people can't really justify moaning on here when we put in a performance like today, whereas any excuse for a poor display/result the threads are booming.

One win (however welcomed) and all the moaning has been proven wrong?

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:04 pm

tinned wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:

Never mentioned that previous criticism hasn't be justified, but it wasn't just the result that warranted praise today, the performance was there aswell - if you want to criticise that then feel free but would be a tad foolish i think :mrgreen:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:07 pm

At long last!

Hopefully the players can gain some confidence from that and start to win some more games.

We needed to play a team so inept to get over the line but it's a good job we did.

Wouldn't get too bowled over by the performance given the opposition but we actually CROSSED the ball more today and even though Brandy is 4ft tall we looked more dangerous.

UTS

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:07 pm

DYSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:

Never mentioned that previous criticism hasn't be justified, but it wasn't just the result that warranted praise today, the performance was there aswell - if you want to criticise that then feel free but would be a tad foolish i think :mrgreen:

I ain't criticising the performance but neither am I wristing myself off about it either. We were average (IMHO), no more. Better but nowhere near where need to be.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:20 pm

Completley agree, we have played a lot better but got nothing out of games, I know what I prefer. Onwards and upwards. UTS :mrgreen:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Cully wrote:LLLLDLDDLLLDDDLD W and Dean Smiths PERIOD finally comes to an end.

I am prepared to accept all the credit for today's win. Please lay a carpet of flower petals at my feet and anoint my head with oil at our next home match.

Smith out, someone else in.

:arrow: :D

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Cully wrote:I am prepared to accept all the credit for today's win.

Perhaps purple jumpers are a lucky omen.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:26 am

tinned wrote:
Cully wrote:I am prepared to accept all the credit for today's win.

Perhaps purple jumpers are a lucky omen.

Burgundy to those in the know, purple for those that shop at Paul's Boutique'. Any way, don't be so ungrateful, I intend donating it to be part of Walsall's Walk of Fame, 'The Lucky Seventeen Jumper' so you can always remember the moment.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:26 am

A deserved win against what was admittedly very poor opposition. They managed to hit the bar twice, but we were well on top for most of the game and this was a good win against a team who are likely to be one of our rivals in the relegation dogfight.

Here's how I saw it:

Mccarey: Nothing to do all game, but dealt with a horror backpass from Purkiss which he had to take on his chest very well
Butler: Kept Colchester quitet, easier task once Jabo went off
Purkiss: Good going forward, but he is poor when wingers attack him, just got to hope not many teams notice this
Downing: Quietly impressive
Taylor: Solid enough
A Chambers: Had a good busy game in the middle
Mantom: First decent performance since returning this season
Grigg: Can't fault his effort, but he should have scored twice and just doesn't have it in him to score many goals at this level in my opinion
Paterson: A better performance than what we've seen in recent weeks
Brandy: Excellent, took his goal very well, always positive, gives the opposition something to think about, pace to burn, works hard
Westcarr: Linked up well with Brandy a few times, seems to float about the pitch in all sorts of positions though. Jury still out

Bowerman: Amazingly got on for a whole half an hour, perhaps Smith finally realised he is much more likely to bury a chance than Grigg. Did alright when he had the ball, didn't seem too bothered about tracking back though
Cuvellier: Barley had a kick, played out of position on the left wing, which is strange decision if you ask me

bush360
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:50 am

I saw that a win was worthy, concerned that they hit the bar twice, we had our moments also but the first half performance warranted the win.
Thought Bowerman was a better forward than grigg, however he seemed actually knackered after about 15mins, stop running down the channels and closing down towards the end which helpedColchester get back into the game

Hope this gives us the confidence to kick on, nice to see Flo back and just gave him a run on the wing to ease him hamstring back, will need him in the coming games

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:36 am

Thank goodness that auwful run is over , hope we can build on this .

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:09 am

It may be 11am on sunday morning but i'm still waiting for Colchester to equalise.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:28 pm

I forgot what it felt like to win.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:48 pm

m&m wrote:It may be 11am on sunday morning but i'm still waiting for Colchester to equalise.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:58 pm

DYSaddler wrote:
McCarey - Had a quiet game but did everything he needed to, thought his deadball distribution was very impressive today
Purkiss - Played very well, solid and didn't really give Sears a sniff and won his fair share in the air
Downing - Impressive again, very composed on the ball and always looks to play to feet, very solid - I like the Butler-Downing partnership and it should continue over the new year.
Butler - Same as Downing but feel less comfortable with him when he has the ball at his feet but is stronger in the air than Downing.
Taylor - Continuing to impress me, very solid performance.

Chambers - Not his biggest fan but thought he did a good job today - intercepted plagy well and attacked with purpose.
Mantom - Great ball for the assist but still dont think he has reached the levels of last season.
Paterson - Non existant for the majority
Westcarr - Strikes me as a lazy player but won some important flick ons today and his service from wide areas is quite impressive.

Grigg - Quiet game.
Brandy - MoM again and deserved too. Lively, energetic, dangerous and a very well taken goal which he thoroughly deserved. Would continue to be the first name on the team sheet for me.

Subs:
Bowerman - Did well when he came on, couple of nice runs and created a couple of chance - one going narrowly wide.
Flo - Didn't really have time to get involved but big relief to see him back.

All in all a good, solid display and an end to a miserable period. Merry christmas :D

I think a pretty spot-on assessment of the team there DY Saddler. I think Taylor would have been 2nd choice for MOTM after Brandy. I like Taylor and looks a solid left back in the way Neil Pointon used to, if memory serves me correct.

Colchester were poor and never seemed to pose much of an attacking threat - our centre backs didn't have much to do all game and a well deserved win albeit not a top quality performance. So glad for the win though.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Well if Twitter is anything to go by Georgy B was out late on Friday night. :?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Well deserved win in an entertaining game.

Jabo Ibehre was as good as ever - a real handful for Butler and Downing. How we miss having a player who can win the ball in the air, hold it up, and pass to another forward. Since going to MK three and half years ago he has been on loan three times, to Southend, Stockport and now Colchester. I would love to see him leading the attack with either Grigg or Bowerman alongside him - I am sure they would then score a lot of goals. Our last three seasons would have been very different if we could have kept Jabo.

Brandy was once again a well deserved man-of-the-match. He is a good League One winger/inside forward. Can Dean Smith explain why he kept Brandy as a substitute during the first half of our 16 match run without a win.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:49 pm

Strange thing happened on Sat. Ginger appeared to make two sensible substitutions. Or did the world really end on Friday after all?

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:05 pm

latviancheese wrote:Well if Twitter is anything to go by Georgy B was out late on Friday night. :?

I saw him in my local friday night with his Dad drinking Vimto :mrgreen:

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:07 pm

MILO5 wrote:On the phone to Sony ...TV is buggered , there is nothing about Colchesters last minute goal or goals .

Have only had it 6 months ...not happy.

:lol: brilliant

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:12 pm

pumajaguar wrote:A deserved win against what was admittedly very poor opposition. They managed to hit the bar twice, but we were well on top for most of the game and this was a good win against a team who are likely to be one of our rivals in the relegation dogfight.

Here's how I saw it:

Mccarey: Nothing to do all game, but dealt with a horror backpass from Purkiss which he had to take on his chest very well
Butler: Kept Colchester quitet, easier task once Jabo went off
Purkiss: Good going forward, but he is poor when wingers attack him, just got to hope not many teams notice this
Downing: Quietly impressive
Taylor: Solid enough
A Chambers: Had a good busy game in the middle
Mantom: First decent performance since returning this season
Grigg: Can't fault his effort, but he should have scored twice and just doesn't have it in him to score many goals at this level in my opinion
Paterson: A better performance than what we've seen in recent weeks
Brandy: Excellent, took his goal very well, always positive, gives the opposition something to think about, pace to burn, works hard
Westcarr: Linked up well with Brandy a few times, seems to float about the pitch in all sorts of positions though. Jury still out

Bowerman: Amazingly got on for a whole half an hour, perhaps Smith finally realised he is much more likely to bury a chance than Grigg. Did alright when he had the ball, didn't seem too bothered about tracking back though
Cuvellier: Barley had a kick, played out of position on the left wing, which is strange decision if you ask me

I did think that about Cuvelier being out on the wing though, but then i thought maybe it was actually a good idea by Deano :shock: Flo has just come back after 7 weeks out and just maybe he wanted to protect him from a few heavy challenges by putting him on the wing? He'd certainly get more challenges on him in the centre of midfield than out on the wing.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:38 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:Strange thing happened on Sat. Ginger appeared to make two sensible substitutions. Or did the world really end on Friday after all?

For once we didn't bring on a defender for a forward with 3 minutes left.
Let's hope that he's learnt this lesson --- at last.

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season