Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/12/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: Yeovil Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/12/12.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Cully wrote:
boringteacher wrote: I listened to the ginger moron's bleats on dingle fm about 5.30.

What did the idiot say?

Not listening is the easier option.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Resigning until next week.

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Most Walsall fans resigned along time ago darth. I'll be there next week though Gate ......2762

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:45 pm

That stupid giggle when asked if that hurt really wound me up and the fact he does not seem angry with himself or the players for their incompetence. I hate this moronic idiot more than any previous manager since 1986, give me dogface over him anyday and I cant believe im saying that.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:51 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:That stupid giggle when asked if that hurt really wound me up and the fact he does not seem angry with himself or the players for their incompetence. I hate this moronic idiot more than any previous manager since 1986, give me dogface over him anyday and I cant believe im saying that.

I can, never thought Hutchings came across that bad really, just didn't work out here, Smith just sounds like an utter thick easily unlikeable Scunthorpe.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Just rubbish.

We clearly can't beat anybody. Ever.

Good things: Purkiss is a billion times better than Taundry.
Brandy worked really hard.
Chambers had a decent game.

Bad things: confidence is wafer thin.
Paterson scored, so becomes even more undroppable - despite a spineless and generally ineffective performance.
Substitutions that are bewildering and game-changing... not in a good way.

Going for a lie down.

Walsall Loyal
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:01 pm

Happydays2122 wrote:Most Walsall fans resigned along time ago darth. I'll be there next week though Gate ......2762

And it's only going to go one way this season!!

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Another frustrating day at the banks' - as soon as it went 2-1 i think everyone knew exactly what was going to happen. Febian Brandy was outstanding today - he shows the hard work, commitment and desire that is required from any player - shame about some of the others around him. Downing and Holden looked solid for the majority of the game and should be playing against Colchester but this will never happen as DS will bring in captain supremo. Andy Taylor had one of his best games for me in a saddlers shirt - won nearly every header he needed to, looked to get forward at every chance, very impressive. Purkiss had a generally solid game but what he was doing messing about on the floor for the 1st goal i don't quite know. The Brandy for Bowerman change was quite unbelievable - people rave about Bowerman but I really fail to see it myself, yes he's scored a few goals but has very little quality to his game whatsoever. Very good for the majority of the game but the last 12 minutes was inexcusable again. A win is needed big time next saturday!

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:02 am

King Crimson wrote:Substitutions that are bewildering and game-changing... not in a good way.

Yes, indeed. Absolutely baffling.

The best Walsall managers have managed to craft teams considerably greater than the sum of their parts. At the moment Smith's contriving to do the opposite. If he hadn't been on the touchline making daft decisions (and screaming "Face the ball" every couple of minutes) we'd have won the game.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:29 am

Craig Westcarr. Question , what is his role/position in the team. Just seems to amble around the pitch blending into the background. Anyone know?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:47 am

King Crimson wrote:Good things: Purkiss is a billion times better than Taundry.

I am no fan of Taundry, but I don't know why you think that Purkiss had a good game. Yeovil had nothing up front, and absolutely nothing wide left, so Purkiss had little to do as a defender for most of the match. However he was clearly implicated in both of the Yeovil goals: the first one he was out of position and then made a pathetic lunge at the ball, the send one, after the waste of space that is Craig Westcarr headed the ball up in the air it landed on Purkiss's chest, then on his shoulder, but he still allowed himself to be robbed.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:57 am

Bernie wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Good things: Purkiss is a billion times better than Taundry.

I am no fan of Taundry, but I don't know why you think that Purkiss had a good game. Yeovil had nothing up front, and absolutely nothing wide left, so Purkiss had little to do as a defender for most of the match. However he was clearly implicated in both of the Yeovil goals: the first one he was out of position and then made a pathetic lunge at the ball, the send one, after the waste of space that is Craig Westcarr headed the ball up in the air it landed on Purkiss's chest, then on his shoulder, but he still allowed himself to be robbed.

Still better than Taundry.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:53 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:|

And the attendance! :? :oops:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:28 am

Can we have this on front page permanently,updated weekly through the season.

Smith gets 2.5 year contract
LLLLDLDDLLLDDDLD

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:30 am

When the equaliser went in I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach. We really should be used to this by now !!!
What the hell was Smith thinking for taking off Brandy ?? Yeovil were a poor side and only seemed up for it when Brandy went off. He had them on the back foot as they knew he would attack when given the ball. When he was subbed you could see their whole body language change they suddenly realised they now could have a go at us and their tempo changed completely . And to make it worse Westcarr was left on the pitch. The guy offers nothing whatsoever !!! When chambers fouled his man on the half way line we all knew what would happen . It's also a good thing the ref blew with the ball in mid air too as there were three lining up to head the ball in and beat us at the death.
As for Smith his interview was nothing but a disgrace. He just doesn't think he's doing a bad job. My language at the radio was enough for mrs chopper to put her fingers in her ears !!
Resign Smith
Come and save us David Kelly
Up the Saddlers

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:06 am

Don`t think much of Smiths pre match comments of along the lines of we are not in as bad a postion as last year at this time and his comments on BBC as follows,

"The season will pan out, but we have to make sure that we're consistent in what we do," Think they are being consistant but in the wrong way and

"Smith points out that the club's directors share his long-term outlook.

"The board have been fantastic," he said. "We sat down together in the summer and came up with a plan on how the club can move forward. But it's not going to be overnight."

We can see where it`s taking us to the basement and beyond.

lichsaddler

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:13 am

I wouldn't consider myself to be a big DS hater, and sometimes think the criticism he has received this season for substitutions has been way over the top, but today.......

The decision to take off Brandy for Bowerman was unbelievable.

Up to that point our 4-4-1-1 was working quite well with either Brandy or Westcarr dropping off Grigg to link the play and enable us to retain possession much better than we have done in recent weeks. At 2-1 down it was more important than ever to keep the ball in order to close the game out easily. So why would you put Bowerman on, a guy that admittedly, I don't rate. For all his finishing quality, he has nothing else to his game and unless he gets service, is non existent. From then on, it was a straight 4-4-2 with no link between attack and defence, meaning more long balls, inviting Yeovil on.

If Brandy was tired, or injured then fair enough, but bring Baxendale or even Hemmings on and sit Westcarr behind Grigg. To bring Bowerman on in that situation was tactically disastrous.

I'm not going to be so simplistic and say that that substitution definitely threw away the chance of three points but it was detrimental.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:29 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:Don`t think much of Smiths pre match comments of along the lines of we are not in as bad a postion as last year at this time

After 22 matches last season we were 18th in the table and knocked out of three cups.
After 22 matches this season we are 18th in the table and knocked out of three cups.

Smith thinks that this is an improvement.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:14 pm

I didn't bother going yesterday, I was still seething at the Coventry performance, so much so I couldn't bring myself to pay money to watch a crap bunch of players lead by an increasingly daft manager.

I don't portion to much of the blame to Dean, he's got a miniscule budget and you get what you pay for, which is average league 2 players. Dean does take the blame for the lack of motivation of the players tho, and lack of organisation at the back, especially considering he was a defender

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Pheasey_Saddler wrote:2-0 Grigg. Surely we can't let this lead slip!

:cry:

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:41 pm

DYSaddler wrote:Another frustrating day at the banks' - as soon as it went 2-1 i think everyone knew exactly what was going to happen. Febian Brandy was outstanding today - he shows the hard work, commitment and desire that is required from any player - shame about some of the others around him. Downing and Holden looked solid for the majority of the game and should be playing against Colchester but this will never happen as DS will bring in captain supremo.Well maybe not because according to some sites i've seen Butler is suspended for 2 games after his red card.Whether that's because he's been suspended once already this season for 5 bookings i don't know. Andy Taylor had one of his best games for me in a saddlers shirt - won nearly every header he needed to, looked to get forward at every chance, very impressive. Purkiss had a generally solid game but what he was doing messing about on the floor for the 1st goal i don't quite know. The Brandy for Bowerman change was quite unbelievable - people rave about Bowerman but I really fail to see it myself, yes he's scored a few goals but has very little quality to his game whatsoever. Very good for the majority of the game but the last 12 minutes was inexcusable again. A win is needed big time next saturday!

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:44 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I didn't bother going yesterday, I was still seething at the Coventry performance, so much so I couldn't bring myself to pay money to watch a crap bunch of players lead by an increasingly daft manager.

I don't portion to much of the blame to Dean, he's got a miniscule budget and you get what you pay for, which is average league 2 players. Dean does take the blame for the lack of motivation of the players tho, and lack of organisation at the back, especially considering he was a defender

Stevenage have a similar budget to ours i would have thought? Are they struggling?

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:22 pm

One question: Craig Westcarr, why?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I didn't bother going yesterday, I was still seething at the Coventry performance, so much so I couldn't bring myself to pay money to watch a crud bunch of players lead by an increasingly daft manager.

Stevenage have a similar budget to ours i would have thought? Are they struggling?

I think you would be surprised what Stevenage's budget is to be honest. I am almost certain it is better than ours.

I do agree with Phil that all in all we have a very poor bunch of players, but there is no doubt in my mind a half decent manager could get at least another 50% out of them than Dean Smith does.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Well I'm glad I went to watch the Hobbit instead of spending more money on this tripe.

Smith just has to go in my opinion. He is demonstrating game after game that he doesn't have a clue how to turn our form around. What other club would stick by such a limited manager for so long? I'm convinced we only stayed up last year due to the individual talents of Cuvellier and Ledesma rather than anything Smith did.

How did Perkiss play? A friend told me he should have done better for both Yeovil goals, I've always thought he looked like a liability but a number of people on here seem to rate him.

Also how was the goal keeper? I thought he was poor for at least two of Coventry's goals and from what I saw on the tele it looked like he could have done better with Yeovil's second.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:05 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I don't portion to much of the blame to Dean

Maybe you should, because it is entirely his fault, he is an appalling manager. His budget might be average but he has wasted the lot.

PS, he is also responsible for performances and tactics.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:14 pm

I'll take an educated guess and say that Stevenage's playing budget is bigger than ours but, as you suggest, not big enough to entirely explain the disparity in our league positions over the last two seasons. However, they also benefit from:

1) A culture of success and overachievement over the last decade.

2) A supportive local council (£3.5m invested in the ground and youth set up so far. £50k rent reduction for five years to help fund further improvements).

3) A chairman who goes to games and regularly communicates with fans and the press.

4) A twunt with a drum.

All adds up.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:19 pm

You could also add, as someone almost certainly will:

5) A series of lucrative cup runs that have boosted morale and the club coffers.

6) A better manager.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:13 pm

bangsection wrote:

I'll take an educated guess and say that Stevenage's playing budget is bigger than ours but, as you suggest, not big enough to entirely explain the disparity in our league positions over the last two seasons. However, they also benefit from:

1) A culture of success and overachievement over the last decade.

2) A supportive local council (£3.5m invested in the ground and youth set up so far. £50k rent reduction for five years to help fund further improvements).

3) A chairman who goes to games and regularly communicates with fans and the press.

4) A twunt with a drum.

All adds up.
bangsection wrote:You could also add, as someone almost certainly will:

5) A series of lucrative cup runs that have boosted morale and the club coffers.

6) A better manager.

Points 2, 3 and 4 are irrelevant , points 1 and 5 are entirely dependant on point number 6, and point number 6 is currently occupied by one of the worst managers ever to be seen at Walsall in living memory. It's a good job he hasn't got much money to spend because he'd waste that as well, probably on 3 or 4 'promising' goalkeepers, a couple of 'have never beens' and some more vertically challenged humans whose CV's run to twenty pages but exclude anything football related.

There is no sane person on this board who thinks Smith is doing a good job - PERIOD

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Once again, Culvinder, your argument has been fatally hamstrung by a refusal to acknowledge the important part played in the modern game by effective percussion.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season