Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/12/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Yeovil Town (H) League 1 Saturday 15/12/12.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:17 pm

bangsection wrote:effective percussion.

Is it repeatedly beating your head against a brick wall, Tone?

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm in discussions with WFC about having my own percussion area behind the goal. All twunts with drums welcome.

The club have suggested that it is named the "bangsection bang section".

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:18 pm

bangsection wrote:I'm in discussions with WFC about having my own percussion area behind the goal. All twunts with drums welcome.

Sponsored by the West Bromwich Building Society? :idea:

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:27 pm

King Crimson wrote:
bangsection wrote:I'm in discussions with WFC about having my own percussion area behind the goal. All twunts with drums welcome.

Sponsored by the West Bromwich Building Society? :idea:

Not sure I follow, old bean.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:49 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Can we have this on front page permanently,updated weekly through the season.

Smith gets 2.5 year contract
LLLLDLDDLLLDDDLD

Put up part of it for you. Let's see how many more times it has to go up.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... -the-draw/

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:20 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I didn't bother going yesterday, I was still seething at the Coventry performance, so much so I couldn't bring myself to pay money to watch a crud bunch of players lead by an increasingly daft manager.

I don't portion to much of the blame to Dean, he's got a miniscule budget and you get what you pay for, which is average league 2 players. Dean does take the blame for the lack of motivation of the players tho, and lack of organisation at the back, especially considering he was a defender

Stevenage have a similar budget to ours i would have thought? Are they struggling?

I think you would be surprised what Stevenage's budget is to be honest. I am almost certain it is better than ours.

I do agree with Phil that all in all we have a very poor bunch of players, but there is no doubt in my mind a half decent manager could get at least another 50% out of them than Dean Smith does.

Tranmere? Crewe?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:53 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I didn't bother going yesterday, I was still seething at the Coventry performance, so much so I couldn't bring myself to pay money to watch a crud bunch of players lead by an increasingly daft manager.

I don't portion to much of the blame to Dean, he's got a miniscule budget and you get what you pay for, which is average league 2 players. Dean does take the blame for the lack of motivation of the players tho, and lack of organisation at the back, especially considering he was a defender

Stevenage have a similar budget to ours i would have thought? Are they struggling?

I think you would be surprised what Stevenage's budget is to be honest. I am almost certain it is better than ours.

I do agree with Phil that all in all we have a very poor bunch of players, but there is no doubt in my mind a half decent manager could get at least another 50% out of them than Dean Smith does.

Tranmere? Crewe?

I don't honestly know, If I had to say, I would say that they have a better budget than us. However, Dean Smith is unable to use this as an excuse anyway. He has signed no fewer than 4 goalkeepers so far this season. There was no need at all to sign Taundry, even if he is cheap, it all counts. Add this to the fact he is getting no where near 100% out of what he has got anyway.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:30 am

I didn't want to post until the dust had settled on Saturday's result, mainly because I was livid about the way we'd chucked two points away so easily. My mood might have improved since 5pm on Saturday, but I'm still reeling.

In short, the last 20 minutes of Saturday's game was a lesson in how not to manage a football team. It completely destroyed what had been, up to then, a routine afternoon, so it's this last 20 minutes that I'll focus on, rather than the rest of the game, which has been fairly well summed up in the E&S match report.

The game turned when Grigg had the chance to put us 3-0 up and out of sight. His lobbed effort was a decent attempt, but still goes down in my book as one he should have scored. Had Bowerman seen that ball land in that position, I think the chances of us losing the game would have been a lot slimmer. What happened next? Yeovil inevitably went down the other end and scored straight away.

Now, despite not looking remotely interested in playing Bowerman when we were 3,4 or 5-1 down at Coventry, Smith decided that the time was right to put Bowerman on just after Yeovil had nicked a goal back. Not only that, but he decided to sacrifice Brandy, our best player, who still looked full of beans at this point. I hate seeing teams drop deeper and deeper to defend a lead, but having seen Yeovil peg us back, that was all we had to do for the last 5 minutes, which is a lot more difficult when you have Westcarr, Grigg and Bowerman on the pitch, none of whom offer anything defensively, nor did they even know where they were really supposed to be playing.

Low and behold, the equaliser, and our 16th game without a win, followed. As did a firm handshake and a "thanks for the point, Dean" from a very grateful Gary Johnson at the final whistle, I'm sure.

I don't have a problem with us drawing at home to Yeovil, but to see a decent performance and a first win in 15 chucked away by managerial incompetence left me feeling pretty sick.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:51 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:

Tranmere? Crewe?

I don't honestly know, If I had to say, I would say that they have a better budget than us. However, Dean Smith is unable to use this as an excuse anyway. He has signed no fewer than 4 goalkeepers so far this season. There was no need at all to sign Taundry, even if he is cheap, it all counts. Add this to the fact he is getting no where near 100% out of what he has got anyway.

Exactly! Can't keep using the budget year in year out.Surely we make more than those off the commercial stuff we do like the Sunday Market, sportsmans dinners etc.Don't let Bonser fool everyone year in year out with the old line "we haven't got any money" because i would be fairly confident we make more money than Bonser says we do.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:52 am

WFC_Rob wrote:I didn't want to post until the dust had settled on Saturday's result, mainly because I was livid about the way we'd chucked two points away so easily. My mood might have improved since 5pm on Saturday, but I'm still reeling.

In short, the last 20 minutes of Saturday's game was a lesson in how not to manage a football team. It completely destroyed what had been, up to then, a routine afternoon, so it's this last 20 minutes that I'll focus on, rather than the rest of the game, which has been fairly well summed up in the E&S match report.

The game turned when Grigg had the chance to put us 3-0 up and out of sight. His lobbed effort was a decent attempt, but still goes down in my book as one he should have scored.AGAIN! Had Bowerman seen that ball land in that position, I think the chances of us losing the game would have been a lot slimmer. What happened next? Yeovil inevitably went down the other end and scored straight away.

Now, despite not looking remotely interested in playing Bowerman when we were 3,4 or 5-1 down at Coventry, Smith decided that the time was right to put Bowerman on just after Yeovil had nicked a goal back. Not only that, but he decided to sacrifice Brandy, our best player, who still looked full of beans at this point. I hate seeing teams drop deeper and deeper to defend a lead, but having seen Yeovil peg us back, that was all we had to do for the last 5 minutes, which is a lot more difficult when you have Westcarr, Grigg and Bowerman on the pitch, none of whom offer anything defensively, nor did they even know where they were really supposed to be playing.

Low and behold, the equaliser, and our 16th game without a win, followed. As did a firm handshake and a "thanks for the point, Dean" from a very grateful Gary Johnson at the final whistle, I'm sure.

I don't have a problem with us drawing at home to Yeovil, but to see a decent performance and a first win in 15 chucked away by managerial incompetence left me feeling pretty sick.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:58 am

This is why the persistence with Grigg is more hindrance than help. Really pleased he scored a well-taken goal on Saturday, but his all-round game was no better than Bowerman's.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:11 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:This is why the persistence with Grigg is more hindrance than help. Really pleased he scored a well-taken goal on Saturday, but his all-round game was no better than Bowerman's.

Turning point of game is a bit harsh. Sure he thinks he should have put it away himself but I have seen Bowerman miss a much easier chance in a similar position earlier in the season and he also offered nothing when he can on AGAIN on Saturday. The turning point if the fame was, YET AGAIN, the abysmal defending. It really was comical to watch! Yes, strikers need to put chances away, but to blame them for losing when they have already helped put the team 2-0 up is unfair. Don't mistake that I am saying that their job is done after scoring 1 goal as it isn't, but the blame for drawing a game when 2-0 up with 10 mins to go falls completely on the shoulders of our defenders and their horrendous decisions and mistakes.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:50 pm

fatboyslim wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:This is why the persistence with Grigg is more hindrance than help. Really pleased he scored a well-taken goal on Saturday, but his all-round game was no better than Bowerman's.

Turning point of game is a bit harsh. Sure he thinks he should have put it away himself but I have seen Bowerman miss a much easier chance in a similar position earlier in the season and he also offered nothing when he can on AGAIN on Saturday. The turning point if the fame was, YET AGAIN, the abysmal defending. It really was comical to watch! Yes, strikers need to put chances away, but to blame them for losing when they have already helped put the team 2-0 up is unfair. Don't mistake that I am saying that their job is done after scoring 1 goal as it isn't, but the blame for drawing a game when 2-0 up with 10 mins to go falls completely on the shoulders of our defenders and their horrendous decisions and mistakes.

I'm not really sure what you expected Bowerman to do inside a ten minute cameo where it was clear he, Grigg and Westcarr didn't have a clue where each of them should have been playing.

We did defend poorly for both goals, but if we kept the ball in their half, as we had done for most of the game prior to Smith's tinkering, we'd have held on.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:14 pm

Perhaps the Bowerman situation is just the same as the Grof situation, so badly handled that Smith has totally ruined the players confidence and self belief?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:20 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:Perhaps the Bowerman situation is just the same as the Grof situation, so badly handled that Smith has totally ruined the players confidence and self belief?

It could well be, but it's about time he realised that the mismanagement of players is only further limiting what small resources we have - and limiting the chance of us staying in this league in the process.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:36 pm

tinned wrote:One question: Craig Westcarr, why?

This calendar year: we ship Claude Gnapka out. We bring Craig Westcarr in.

Talk about swapping a tenner for two fivers.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:27 pm

EvenFlow wrote:

I didn't think Westcarr played that badly on Saturday - but we looked much better with him playing off Grigg and Brandy out wide. That was another of Dean's attempts to fix something that wasn't broken.

windowman
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:21 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:

I didn't think Westcarr played that badly on Saturday - but we looked much better with him playing off Grigg and Brandy out wide. That was another of Dean's attempts to fix something that wasn't broken.

great flick on for second goal

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:38 pm

windowman wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:

great flick on for second goal

If you wait long enough he was bound to have one good touch.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:52 am

EvenFlow wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season