Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (A) League 1 Saturday 8/12/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Coventry City (A) League 1 Saturday 8/12/12.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:57 pm

1,072 Saddlers in a crowd of 10,986.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Me dad and the wife really enjoyed this... Cash turnstile , friendly stewards who let us sit where we wanted. Good noise from the large Walsall following and a deserved early lead.

Then my beloved Walsall copitulated big time!! Find it hard to critise the players as they are poor quality on poor money and that's not their fault and I never feel they don't care or try ( I did miss cup game tho as on honeymoon )
My anger is at the man at the top who clearly gave a failing manager a huge contract so not only will take us down this year but out of the league conpletely so he can cash in and sell the land leaving us with no club at all. That has to be his plan . We left before the fifth went in. Just couldn't take anymore punishment from a club getting away with financial murder.
Walk now Smith its our only hope. David Kelly sits near us quite often please come and save our club :cry:
Love Walsall Fc forever
Up the Saddlers and all us poor suffering fans x

stourportsaddler

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Well what was that? As said above we were good going forward for the first 20 minutes but Coventry could have had 2 before we scored.
Taundry looked slower than a tortoise who was hibernating and was skinned numerous times, Westcarr didnt look much quicker and did nothing apart from the goal
4-4-2 just doesnt work as we get over run in the middle of the park and neither fullback has any cover in front of him.
For one of the goals Taylor overlapped Patterson who then gave the ball away trying to be clever in his own half............ Like people have said he is a liability at the moment and needs to be dropped.
Butler and Holden are nearly as slow as Taundry and spent most of the time complaining to the officials.
I cant be arsed to say any more but suffice to say I wont be watching that dross in the near future, my last two away games have been Lincoln and Coventry...... I can safely say I'm embarrased to be a Walsall fan today as we are a laughing stock.

Beer needed tonight me thinks

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:04 pm

Worsul wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:If you're not familiar with the history & finances of Walsall it's easy to find on the net.

Why is that the 'natural' state of affairs?

Generally, the average of anything is how it has performed over time - football clubs are businesses.

Of course it fluctuates, but looking at history, current attendances, finances, we are actually in a higher division that we should be!

On the football front, its tragic that our two largest followings in memory (Shrewsbury & Cov) have had to suffer. I think footballers are that far detached from their employers and the fans these days, all that matters is that their inflated wages are in the bank each month. These prima donna's don't care if there are 12 or 1,200 in the away section.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Worsul wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:I simply understand Walsall's natural place in the footballing world. It's basic intellect.

Now I can understand why so many on here have a problem with that.

It's easy in football to let passion rule head.

What is Walsall's natural place in the footballing world?

in a league position approximately commensurate with turnover.

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:20 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Worsul wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:If you're not familiar with the history & finances of Walsall it's easy to find on the net.

Generally, the average of anything is how it has performed over time - football clubs are businesses.

Of course it fluctuates, but looking at history, current attendances, finances, we are actually in a higher division that we should be!

On the football front, its tragic that our two largest followings in memory (Shrewsbury & Cov) have had to suffer. I think footballers are that far detached from their employers and the fans these days, all that matters is that their inflated wages are in the bank each month. These prima donna's don't care if there are 12 or 1,200 in the away section.

Perhaps this needs a separate thread but look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_En ... population

I know things fluctuate, and I know the big cities will get the big support.

But how come the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Blackburn, Watford, Bolton, West Brom, Norwich, Luton, Oxford all have a better history and are arguably bigger clubs than Walsall.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Worsul wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Worsul wrote:

But how come the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Blackburn, Watford, Bolton, West Brom, Norwich, Luton, Oxford all have a better history and are arguably bigger clubs than Walsall.

And how does population come into it????

I kind of see the angle your going for, but there's no basis for argument!

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:42 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Worsul wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Worsul wrote:

And how does population come into it????

I kind of see the angle your going for, but there's no basis for argument!

If population comes into it then China or India would be world cup winners every 4 years.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:42 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:McCarey- This will be his last game, Grof back next week. Rubbish positioning and feels it's ok to have a go at his own supporters. Heart is not in it so go back to the Dingles

When did this happen? Really curious.
Last edited by JonnyOwen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:45 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Of course it fluctuates, but looking at history, current attendances, finances, we are actually in a higher division that we should be!

Exactly.
It's just that it's embarrassing sinking to that level with scores like this.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:48 pm

There is nothing "natural" about Walsall's history of mediocrity. It is not "fate" or "destiny" that has meant that despite being in an area with a high population the club has usually been unsuccessful. We are in this division because of pathetic decisions made by the club's owners over many years.

Over the club's 124 year history there have been a succession of bad owners who have appointed about five bad managers for every good one. If you have a bad manager then you will not do well.

Managers are not appointed by the fans, but by the owner. The owners have failed the fans by appointing so many terrible managers, not one of whom has every been poached away from us by a higher club.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:48 pm

in 40+ yeaes of supporting this club ihave rarely come away being embarrassed even when we have been bad and got beat. today i was embarassed. pathetic, i have stuck up for dean smith and the team but no more. do these twerp realise how much it costs to follow them? Gutless spineless performance. flipping pathetic

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Not sure why so many always have it in for Taundry - for some on here he can never be in the right. I think a number of other players today were much more at fault for largely disappearing. I think he, Featherstone and Brandy are the only ones who deserve any credit for the display this afternoon.

For the first 15 mins or so I thought this looks promising - some decent attacking football, Coventry looked on the back foot and we had quite an attacking line up for an away game (if you count Grigg, Brandy, Westcarr and Paterson in the mix) but then the wheels fell off.

I don't usually come on here to moan but so many negatives today....so will select a few:

It is clear we are very slow at the back. As much as I like Taylor he was skinned for their 4th goal (which McCarey should have saved) but Holden and Butler don't provide any speed to cover either.

Holden - what was he thinking of, all over one of their players to give away a needless freekick on the edge of the box towards the end of the 1st half. He was at again late on in the 2nd half but got away with it.

Our beloved captain - oh dear. Not sure why he went to rant at the ref at the half time whistle and as captain and especially as a ref in training, he should know better. Obviously irked you knew he was close to a booking and only has himself to blame for both bookings.

Mantom - not at all convinced by him, made little impression and all those who craved his return should be wondering what it was you saw in him last season that made you want him back. I don't rate him. Not our worst player but adds little to the team.

Westcarr - what does he do? Wasn't sure what position he was taken up, especially in the 3nd half (right side midfielder???) but lightweight and inneffective, doesn't look too fussed to be playing and Bowerman should have replaced him at half time. Not a solution to our goal scoring problems.

McCarey - I think he could have stopped goals 4 and 5. They looked soft. Was welcomed as someone who could catch, command the area a bit and shout for his first couple of games. Has the rot set in with him too?

..and, Mr Smith, why no Bowerman? Had a falling out? And why take off a forward to be replaced by a defender.? Someone please explain.

I actually like Dean Smith - seems a very decent man and we had something great going on in August/September so something was going right with the same squad - but even I am losing my patience and am not convinced him and R O'K can turn this around. A lack of Flo and a massive lack of confidence are a big part of the reason for the decline but this has to be turned around sharpish.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:03 pm

I have supported this club for over 40 years and never felt so apathetic as I do tonight.thank you jeff bonser for killing my passion for my club.

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Whitters wrote:[
If population comes into it then China or India would be world cup winners every 4 years.

I would have thought the following argument would be fairly non contentious

Bigger population -> bigger fan base -> more money -> better facilities/better players-> more success.

Perhaps this argument carries less validity now you get the likes of Abramovich and Man City Oil Sheikhs

The India/China point can be explained with a nanoseconds thought and it's disappointing Whitters lacks the capacity to do so himself, but i'll bite.

Football isn't the national sport in India/China, so they although they have bigger populations, they don't have the requisite pool of football talent.

In years to come I fully expect China to become more successful at football

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Agree with what most have said on here, Smith signed his contract at the right time from his point of view because today surely would have been the final nail in the coffin. The first 20 minutes were very promising, on top and creating good chances which ended with a deserved taking of the lead. The remaining 70 minutes has been described very well by fellow saddlers - absolute dross! Indecision at the back, hesistancy galore, no attacking play and, to be quite frank, no idea whatsover. Taundry was a lost sole throughout and got absolutely murdered down his side. McGoldrick is a superb player at this level and would be an assett to any team in this division, and probably most championship teams (expect him to do very well in the future at Forest if given a chance). The only 'bright' spark for me was Brandy again who looks lively when on the ball and can cause problems - would like to seem him be a bit more composed infront of goal though. Special mention must go to Aaron McCarey who, after today, in my opinion is a complete and utter tool. To start arguing with your own fans who pay your wages and whilst having a mare is absolutely staggering - complete joker. My first visit to the Ricoh wasn't a pleasant one, however the stadium is amazing but wont be in use for much longer and was virtually empty! Great vocal support from the 1100 saddlers present - shame the performance wasn't as enthusing. 2 wins are a must at home now but I know that is a massive, massive ask and is highly unlikely but hey its xmas - who knows.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Bernie wrote:There is nothing "natural" about Walsall's history of mediocrity. It is not "fate" or "destiny" that has meant that despite being in an area with a high population the club has usually been unsuccessful. We are in this division because of pathetic decisions made by the club's owners over many years.

Over the club's 124 year history there have been a succession of bad owners who have appointed about five bad managers for every good one. If you have a bad manager then you will not do well.

Managers are not appointed by the fans, but by the owner. The owners have failed the fans by appointing so many terrible managers, not one of whom has every been poached away from us by a higher club.

Okay, so why have so many of the big clubs been at the top for so long, and why have clubs like Rochdale never been past league one? Are all the small clubs badly managed and that's why they are down there? Population does not come into it on any level.

To be honest I can pull this apart on so many levels, its just, well RUBBISH haha.....

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Bernie wrote:There is nothing "natural" about Walsall's history of mediocrity. It is not "fate" or "destiny" that has meant that despite being in an area with a high population the club has usually been unsuccessful. We are in this division because of pathetic decisions made by the club's owners over many years.

Is this true? :shock: That would indeed suggest our managers have been very bad.

But wait, Wasn't Colin Lee poached by Plymouth? :lol:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:23 pm

BathSaddler wrote:1,072 Saddlers in a crowd of 10,986.

Thought it was a reasonable turnout all things considered, if we weren't doing so pap we'd have probably took close on double that.

I ain't gonna talk about the game, cause they are all a disgrace.

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:24 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Okay, so why have so many of the big clubs been at the top for so long, and why have clubs like Rochdale never been past league one? Are all the small clubs badly managed and that's why they are down there? Population does not come into it on any level.

To be honest I can pull this apart on so many levels, its just, well RUBBISH haha.....

I just don't understand how you can say population doesn't come into it at all.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Worsul wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

It's easy;

It modern day football, a club can have rubbish support but can attract a benefactor that will bank roll success. Population does not come into that.

Previously, if an area had a massive population (catchment) but the primary sport was not football, the Club would not benefit. Population does not come into that.

You cannot force people to be interested in a product, no matter how many there are!

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:43 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Worsul wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

It's easy;

It modern day football, a club can have rubbish support but can attract a benefactor that will bank roll success. Population does not come into that.

Previously, if an area had a massive population (catchment) but the primary sport was not football, the Club would not benefit. Population does not come into that.

You cannot force people to be interested in a product, no matter how many there are!

You have given two possible scenarios where population doesn't have a direct correlation with success

That is very different to saying population does not come into at all

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Worsul wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Worsul wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

It's easy;

You have given two possible scenarios where population doesn't have a direct correlation with success

There's plenty more, I didn't want to ramble.

pco_walsall
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:57 pm

One of the worst performances I've seen in a while... I WISH!

All too familiar with Scunthorpe, Lincoln ( h&A), Swindon etc... Something has to change, but it's very unlikely to be Smith with this contract in place you would hope there's performance related clauses but knowing the clueless idiots in charge I doubt it!

Anyway we have a drum now... good or bad?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 pm

If only the town wasnt full of glory hunting lady gardens.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Isn't it about time someone posted something pointless about the number of pages when we lose........................oh I have done :roll:

Roll on the Colchester game when we break our win less sequence and celebrate with 3 posts on the match thread, all of them failing to mention the number of pages of posts when we win.

Can Duke please start the thread now so that posters have a couple of weeks to think about the difference the 'drum' made?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:59 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Okay, so why have so many of the big clubs been at the top for so long, and why have clubs like Rochdale never been past league one? Are all the small clubs badly managed and that's why they are down there? Population does not come into it on any level.

Big clubs stay big by appointing good managers. When a big club appoints a succession of bad managers then they drop down the leagues. The clubs like Arsenal and Everton who have consistently been in the top division are very much the exception. Others such as Man Utd, Man City, Leeds, Wolves, Villa etc etc did not stay at the top when led by idiots. Small clubs rise when given good leadership - there are countless examples of this. Without good leadership they will stay in the lower divisions.

TWM1962
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:01 pm

I cannot see having wasted my money on this shower of trash, why we are so concerned. We lost at home years ago when Merson dragged in a goalkeeper when we lost at home to CCFC. Don't worry as SMITH will go next week and our saviour RCK will be installed as a very expensive option. This club is absolute CRAP.... Mt season ticket is up for grabs on EBAY. Please don't rush HUFC fans......!!!!!

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:04 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:McCarey- This will be his last game, Grof back next week. Rubbish positioning and feels it's ok to have a go at his own supporters. Heart is not in it so go back to the Dingles

When did this happen? Really curious.

After the 2nd or 3rd goal, don't think any fan provoked anything but McCarey turned around and started giving it the big one..

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:17 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Worsul wrote:

There's plenty more, I didn't want to ramble.

I look forward to the Orkney Isles taking on Sahara Desert FC in next year's World Club final.

I'll let others decide who is correct.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season