Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 24/11/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
wivenj
UTS Veteran

Re: Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 24/11/12.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:07 pm

3pts off relegation zone.......Mark Hughes in, lets dream cos we wanna.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:16 pm

They are also winless in 19. So probably always was going to end in a draw.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Smith laughingly suggested it would be a draw in his pre match interview on wm.

I don't find it funny deano that we can't beat the team that is plum bottom at home.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Well played, shocker of a result.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:51 pm

Decided at 2:15 that the rain & traffic were worth it to finally see a win, and wished I hadn't bothered.

Absolutely brainless decision to leave a left footer on the right and a right footer on the left for the entire first 45 minutes. When I saw us line up that way, I expected they'd switch backs & forth, to keep a (surely) confidence-shot defence that conceded 5 at home last week on their toes... but nay, Hemmings on the right, predictably cutting inside until getting hauled off.

I understand why we stick with Paterson, I really do. He has the ability to crucify many sides (including the Hartlepools) in this division, but until he either garners the experience to make better decisions or gets a brain transplant, the frequency with which he takes the wrong option make him too much of a luxury when the other 9 outfielders aren't creating enough by themselves to make it a non-issue. As things stand, I don't get what he does so right that Baxendale doesn't (or Bax has done wrong that Paterson hasn't) to warrant his constant presence on the pitch.

Grigg was a non-factor today, and I'd forgotten Mantom was on the pitch until he had a chance to shoot & fell over instead. Brandy was a worthy MOTM (and got zero protection from 3 hopeless officials), with Taylor the only other contender for me.

Hartlepool were very poor, and there should be no excuses for not putting them to the sword. Only Walsall could manage to play against a side that can't muster a single attack in a first half & go in 1-0 down. But then, it's either tippy-tappy between the defenders in our own half with 8 minutes to go, or high balls to the smallest man on the pitch (to be fair to Brandy, he held his own in the air against 2 blokes 3 times his size).

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Yet another poor game by a poor team managed by a piss poor manager against a poor bottom of the table team who haven't won for 19 games. Terrible effort by 'he's still learning' Dean Smith, it looks like the only thing that has evolved from the new exciting club DNA is the uncanny ability to play like a pub team. There cannot be anyone with a brain who now thinks Smith should continue, Smith out!

LLLLDLDDLLLDDD - PERIOD

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Not the best result on paper, but the best performance since Shrewsbury away. Had we had a clinical finisher and a bit more luck we'd have won that 5 or 6-1. Hartlepool were 1 of the very worst teams I have ever seen visit the Bescot - a clueless bunch of clogging thugs, their manager needs some serious investment and Harry Potter's magic wand if they are to stay up. Didnt think the team deserved boo's at the end, what's that going to achieve? At least the performance, the effort and chance creating was back after the likes of Lincoln, Scunthorpe, Bury and co.

Brandy MOTM for me worked hard and the only way half of their defenders could live with him was by hauling him down left, right and centre. Paterson was garbage, greedy and shoots from ridicolous areas. Mantom did okay. Butler looked back to his best, Holden was decent and Taylor was second in line for MOTM, very cool and composed up the left hand side. Grigg poor in comparison to recent weeks. Westcarr looked lazy when he came on but put a couple of half decent crosses in. Taundry was, Taundry. Featherstone got forward well and kept possession.

Bad result, positive performance. 3 unbeaten and we have some winable games coming up over the next month before Dons away on Boxing day.

Finally, we really missed Flo today. If we had Flo and Ledesma in the side today the 5 goals we scored against Hartlepool 2 years ago would have been literally doubled with no problem.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Paterson is complete cack, DROP HIM!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Easy to understand formula...can't score = relegation end of!

Other teams hire the likes of Cureton,Parkin,Beattie..known to score even if the rest of the team is pap.
We get Westcarr, a second rate conference bound no hoper, is he the answer? I doubt it. What we need is an Akinfenwa type of bulldozer, not an A.N. Other Midfielder who thinks he can score, but hey, this is Worsul, we can't afford anyone decent.

Better study how to beat the thugs in Division Four, cus that's where we are heading, Barnet, Burton, and Accrington Stanley, the excitement of such destinations on a wet and miserable November Saturday afternoon make the heart pound...not.

Do the decent thing Deano, you ain't making it as a manager......

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Sadders wrote:Not the best result on paper, but the best performance since Shrewsbury away. Had we had a clinical finisher and a bit more luck we'd have won that 5 or 6-1. Hartlepool were 1 of the very worst teams I have ever seen visit the Bescot - a clueless bunch of clogging thugs, their manager needs some serious investment and Harry Potter's magic wand if they are to stay up. Didnt think the team deserved boo's at the end, what's that going to achieve? At least the performance, the effort and chance creating was back after the likes of Lincoln, Scunthorpe, Bury and co.

Brandy MOTM for me worked hard and the only way half of their defenders could live with him was by hauling him down left, right and centre. Paterson was garbage, greedy and shoots from ridicolous areas. Mantom did okay. Butler looked back to his best, Holden was decent and Taylor was second in line for MOTM, very cool and composed up the left hand side. Grigg poor in comparison to recent weeks. Westcarr looked lazy when he came on but put a couple of half decent crosses in. Taundry was, Taundry. Featherstone got forward well and kept possession.

Bad result, positive performance. 3 unbeaten and we have some winable games coming up over the next month before Dons away on Boxing day.

Finally, we really missed Flo today. If we had Flo and Ledesma in the side today the 5 goals we scored against Hartlepool 2 years ago would have been literally doubled with no problem.

Lots of "ifs" in that report. The simple fact is that the record books will show a draw and that result is not good enough. You are spot on that Hartlepool are a terrible team, yet we failed to beat them at home! You say we have some winable games coming up, can I ask whether you think that on paper they are more winable than today's game looked on paper?

Oh and Flo goes back to Stoke in January, and if they don't let us have him back for the rest of the season what do we do then?

The winless streak continues and there was no better opportunity to change that than today, and our team and manager failed again!

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Very very very frustrating game - the statistics speak for themselves but the only important stat is the scoreline, and its a poor one. They were hopeless, completley justified there position at the foot of the table. I'm all for the new style of play rather than hoofball but it staggers me week in week out how the pace of the game can be so slow at times - fair enough if we are smashing teams then fair enough, but even at 1-0 down today and 1-1 it's beyond a joke how long it takes to make a pass, and for christ sake, any chance of passing the ball forward in times of despair!!

You could tell from the opening 5-10 minutes it was going to be one of those days, chance after chance but nothing ever looked like going in.

McCarey (6) - Looks a solid addition to me, by far the best keeper out of the 3 (Grof, himself and Darlow), come for crosses, good communication and a bit of a fumble but put that down to the weather :mrgreen: seems to bring a lot of re-assurance to the back line for such a young lad. Left stranded for the penalty but couldn't do a lot with such a dreadful pass back from Hemmings

Taundry (6) - A few misplaced paces but generally thought he had a decent game, his distribution was quite effective at times and put in a few decent balls.

Holden (6) - Obviously scored the goal, can't fault his passion and effort but is worringly slow when tracking back.

Butler (6) - Solid game from the skipper, will be one of the quieter games he has this season along with Holden but did what he had to do well.

Taylor (7) - Never been a massive fan of Taylor would play Benning instead but he proved me wrong today, very solid - supported the midfield when required and always looked to get forward.

Featherstone (6) - Usual performance from Feathers, rarely wastes a pace, does slow the tempo of the game down somewhat though at times.

Hemmings (4) - Atrocious pass back that eventually led to the penalty, didn't look very effective at all and signs of his poor attitude creeping back into his game.

Mantom (5) - Pretty anonymous for large parts to be honest.

Grigg (5) - Very ineffective, hardly won anything in the air and didn't hold the ball up very well - should not be started next game.

Paterson (6) - A very frustrating footballer as we all know, has the potential to be an excellent player but too often makes the wrong decision, runs into a blind alley and misplaces too many passes. Today was another varied and indifferent performance from him.

Brandy (8) - My MOTM, looked lively when he got on the ball, worked his socks off, should have grabbed himself a goal but that will come. Always thought he had something to offer and if he can stay injury free he will be a key player i think.

Subs:

Westcarr (6) - The jury is still out, won a couple of decent flick ons and delivered a couple of decent crosses - looks like being a case of being no better than what we have got but no worse.

Bowerman (5) - Did virtually nothing however thought he could have done better with the chance he had and potentially could have ended up scoring the winner.

Don't get me wrong we should be absolutely smashing teams like Hartlepool, but it's good to see the chances being created again even if we aren't taking them. We were all cheering after 30 minutes of the Scunny/Lincoln game when we had a shot but that wasn't the case today it was shots in. They were dire and will be in league 2 next season without doubt - DS has just got to be careful we don't follow suit!

Att: 4562 (I'd be surprised if there were 100 poolies there)

SWS1

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:44 pm

This is not the first time this season we have not won when playing "well". This is getting tooth-grindingly frustrating.
I'm stumping off for a bevvy.
:(

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Easy to understand formula...can't score = relegation end of!

Other teams hire the likes of Cureton,Parkin,Beattie..known to score even if the rest of the team is pap.
We get Westcarr, a second rate conference bound no hoper, is he the answer? I doubt it. What we need is an Akinfenwa type of bulldozer, not an A.N. Other Midfielder who thinks he can score, but hey, this is Worsul, we can't afford anyone decent.

Better study how to beat the thugs in Division Four, cus that's where we are heading, Barnet, Burton, and Accrington Stanley, the excitement of such destinations on a wet and miserable November Saturday afternoon make the heart pound...not.

Do the decent thing Deano, you ain't making it as a manager......

So if we can't score, then how come we drew 1-1 :?

Home form continues to be a worry.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:51 pm

That was such a frustrating afternoon on so many levels.

The pitch was heavy and was never going to suit a free-flowing passing game - certainly not with that Hartlepool team on it anyway, who were the poorest League One outfit I've seen for some time. I wasn't sure of the thinking behind starting Westcarr on the bench at 2:30pm and to be honest, I'm still struggling with that one.

The first few minutes seemed to be a case of both sides feeling their way into the game and finding out what their opposition's approach was going to be. Whilst Hartlepool looked anxious and panicked on the ball, we didn't look like we had the balls to take the game to them and put them on the backfoot. Yes, we did create one or two openings, but we didn't take advantage of them, thanks to either wayward shooting or last ditch defending from them.

Having watched Walsall for 18 years, I knew what was likely to come next, and I was right to fear the worst. Hemmings' backpass wasn't the act of a poor player, but the act of an inexperienced one, and it was a nailed on penalty. Whilst we did seem to play with a little more urgency after their goal, we weren't really able to play through them thanks to our lack of movement through the middle.

A half time change was needed to give us something different, and Westcarr for Hemmings was a fairly sensible change to make. Westcarr gave us a bit more of a presence, and an attacker who was actually capable of winning a header, which allowed us to threaten a bit more. Thankfully, we stuck to our principles, the ball stuck in the final third a bit better, and after Griggs volley was well-saved, Holden tapped in to equalise with 40 minutes of the game still to play.

I thought Mantom was excellent in midfield today and Featherstone certainly plays better alongside him than he does when paired with Chambers. Both of them kept us moving forward throughout the second half, but we didn't do enough to test their goalkeeper. All too often, the ball found its way to Paterson, who either blazed it wide, over the bar, or just gave it away. Jamie Paterson certainly isn't the only reason we're on such a poor run, but he's not making enough of a contribution to keep his place in the side. His performance this afternoon was one of a player out of his depth in League One.

My one criticism of Smith in the second half was that we should have replaced Grigg with Bowerman at least ten minutes earlier. For all Grigg's hard work and ability, he poses no goal threat. He missed four chances on Tuesday night and today he didn't even get a sniff of a chance, other than the shot that Holden ultimately converted to equalise. Bowerman's game still needs some work, but his movement and instinct in and around the box did muster a couple of half chances after he came on. I can understand the justification for playing Grigg as a lone striker rather than Bowerman, but we need to realise that we can't afford to miss the number of chances we're missing at the moment. Having Bowerman in the side at least gives us a half decent chance of converting decent possession and some half decent chances into the odd goal now and again.

The football this afternoon was good, but our finishing and final ball was woeful. Mantom was the pick of the bunch for me, having kept us moving in the right direction for most of the game. Despite some decent performances in the middle of the park however, the absence of any serious goal threat and some really poor use of the ball out wide meant that a draw was a fair result - depressingly so.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:06 pm

cack

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:09 pm

wet

traymondo
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:18 pm

I got slated in February for questioning our ability to convert chances into goals.
We drew 0-0 with Preston and had 30 shots.
Yet the problem continues.
Today we had 20 shots. According to the Beeb. Who I trust.
I can't be bothered to check the stats, but this seems to have been the case since Jorge left.
And is the reason for our perpetual mediocrity.
I would love to see this side with a striker who can score goals. It would be great.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:20 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:That was such a frustrating afternoon on so many levels.

The pitch was heavy and was never going to suit a free-flowing passing game - certainly not with that Hartlepool team on it anyway, who were the poorest League One outfit I've seen for some time. I wasn't sure of the thinking behind starting Westcarr on the bench at 2:30pm and to be honest, I'm still struggling with that one.

The first few minutes seemed to be a case of both sides feeling their way into the game and finding out what their opposition's approach was going to be. Whilst Hartlepool looked anxious and panicked on the ball, we didn't look like we had the balls to take the game to them and put them on the backfoot. Yes, we did create one or two openings, but we didn't take advantage of them, thanks to either wayward shooting or last ditch defending from them.

Having watched Walsall for 18 years, I knew what was likely to come next, and I was right to fear the worst. Hemmings' backpass wasn't the act of a poor player, but the act of an inexperienced one, and it was a nailed on penalty. Whilst we did seem to play with a little more urgency after their goal, we weren't really able to play through them thanks to our lack of movement through the middle.

A half time change was needed to give us something different, and Westcarr for Hemmings was a fairly sensible change to make. Westcarr gave us a bit more of a presence, and an attacker who was actually capable of winning a header, which allowed us to threaten a bit more. Thankfully, we stuck to our principles, the ball stuck in the final third a bit better, and after Griggs volley was well-saved, Holden tapped in to equalise with 40 minutes of the game still to play.

I thought Mantom was excellent in midfield today and Featherstone certainly plays better alongside him than he does when paired with Chambers. Both of them kept us moving forward throughout the second half, but we didn't do enough to test their goalkeeper. All too often, the ball found its way to Paterson, who either blazed it wide, over the bar, or just gave it away. Jamie Paterson certainly isn't the only reason we're on such a poor run, but he's not making enough of a contribution to keep his place in the side. His performance this afternoon was one of a player out of his depth in League One.

My one criticism of Smith in the second half was that we should have replaced Grigg with Bowerman at least ten minutes earlier. For all Grigg's hard work and ability, he poses no goal threat. He missed four chances on Tuesday night and today he didn't even get a sniff of a chance, other than the shot that Holden ultimately converted to equalise. Bowerman's game still needs some work, but his movement and instinct in and around the box did muster a couple of half chances after he came on. I can understand the justification for playing Grigg as a lone striker rather than Bowerman, but we need to realise that we can't afford to miss the number of chances we're missing at the moment. Having Bowerman in the side at least gives us a half decent chance of converting decent possession and some half decent chances into the odd goal now and again.

The football this afternoon was good, but our finishing and final ball was woeful. Mantom was the pick of the bunch for me, having kept us moving in the right direction for most of the game. Despite some decent performances in the middle of the park however, the absence of any serious goal threat and some really poor use of the ball out wide meant that a draw was a fair result - depressingly so.

How many did Brandy and Bowerman miss today? Brandy's goal against Crawley was going miles wide until it got deflected in. Paterson shoots from anywhere, despite players often being in better positions. Not defending Grigg for his misses against Tranmere but people need to balance out the situation not just make people scapegoats. Only proper shot was Grigg's volley which led to our only goal. Should have won today but Bowerman had 15 mins and did nothing. Westcarr did virtually nothing as an attacking force either so should just blame the usual. Not sure anyone would disagree Grigg played well despite the finishing on Tuesday...he created most of the chances himself. Same as Brandy did today but nobody slagging him off for poor finishing.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:22 pm

traymondo wrote:I got slated in February for questioning our ability to convert chances into goals.
We drew 0-0 with Preston and had 30 shots.
Yet the problem continues.
Today we had 20 shots. According to the Beeb. Who I trust.
I can't be bothered to check the stats, but this seems to have been the case since Jorge left.
And is the reason for our perpetual mediocrity.
I would love to see this side with a striker who can score goals. It would be great.

Most if those shots were Paty's from 30 yards!! Distorted stats. Some good chances too but he always adds 6-7 to the total and mostly wasteful.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Pathetic. Pool were comfortably the worst div 3 team I've seen for years and they matched us in the 2nd half! Should have been up by at least 3 by half time though. Be playing them next season again I reckon.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:27 pm

fatboyslim wrote:How many did Brandy and Bowerman miss today? Brandy's goal against Crawley was going miles wide until it got deflected in. Paterson shoots from anywhere, despite players often being in better positions. Not defending Grigg for his misses against Tranmere but people need to balance out the situation not just make people scapegoats. Only proper shot was Grigg's volley which led to our only goal. Should have won today but Bowerman had 15 mins and did nothing. Westcarr did virtually nothing as an attacking force either so should just blame the usual. Not sure anyone would disagree Grigg played well despite the finishing on Tuesday...he created most of the chances himself. Same as Brandy did today but nobody slagging him off for poor finishing.

I'm not slagging anyone off in particular (frankly, they were all as bad as eachother), but Paterson is the noteworthy one because he's the only one yet to be dropped.

Being able to create chances for yourself is great, but it's all pointless if you don't take any of those chances. I like Grigg as a footballer, but it's a ruthless world out there and we can't carry a striker who can't score goals. That's why Alex Nicholls never got a run in the side in his preferred position.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:33 pm

'If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all'* If Smith wasn't 'Born Under a Bad Sign' he certainly living under the shadow of one at the moment. If some of those 20 odd attempts had gone in I'm not sure the criticism of Smith would be as hysterical as it is today. However, If he wants to make his own luck I suggest the following:

1. Drop Paterson. I admire his confidence, positioning and willingness to call for the ball. What I don't admire are his selfish, wasteful pot shots at goal from stupid distances. If they forced a save or grazed a post well ok. But most of them balloon to row Z. There is a good player in there somewhere but it needs to be found in the reserves or on loan to the Conference.

2. Drop Taundry. Even when he looks like he is going to have a good game he goes and spoils it with sloppy ball control at crucial times. Bring back Purkiss. We need a competent Steady Eddie rather than a million mile an hour liability.

3. Drop Hemmings. He needs to work what he wants to achieve as a footballer or have a lifetime of regret about what could have been. While he is doing that, Westcarr can do the job he is supposed to.

Alternatively, DS could try weeing on the four corners of the pitch or perhaps being a bit more stringent with the selection process of our mascots.

Albert King*

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Really don't understand how people can be having a go at Bowerman now.

Watch the runs he makes off the ball, they are excellent, much better than Grigg (who I think is an OK player) can muster. These runs opened up Pool about two or three times, yes we didn't score but Bowerman didn't come until the 76th minute! I really can't understand why he is getting so little game time. His minutes to goals ratio this season must be very impressive. He might not offer a lot else other than goal scoring but neither did Pippo Inzaghi, David Trezeguet or Van Nistelrooy and it didn't do them much harm. Smith isn't giving him a chance.

Patterson was really frustrating today, he has talent but the sooner he realises he isn't Messi, Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic rolled into one the better.

All in all that was a game we had to be winning. Hartelpool were awful and we won't get the chance for an easier three points all season.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:23 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Really don't understand how people can be having a go at Bowerman now.

Watch the runs he makes off the ball, they are excellent, much better than Grigg (who I think is an OK player) can muster. These runs opened up Pool about two or three times, yes we didn't score but Bowerman didn't come until the 76th minute! I really can't understand why he is getting so little game time. His minutes to goals ratio this season must be very impressive. He might not offer a lot else other than goal scoring but neither did Pippo Inzaghi, David Trezeguet or Van Nistelrooy and it didn't do them much harm. Smith isn't giving him a chance.

Patterson was really frustrating today, he has talent but the sooner he realises he isn't Messi, Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic rolled into one the better.

All in all that was a game we had to be winning. Hartelpool were awful and we won't get the chance for an easier three points all season.

Apparently Bowie's mouth contributes to his own downfall, constantly falling out with DS - if that is the case then the manager is making the right decision by leaving him on the bench and teaching him a lesson, no one player is bigger than the club, especially a kid who thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread after having a good month of games.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:05 pm

I think I'd fall out with Dean Smith, my Labradors are twice as clever as that fool.

DYSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:14 pm

Absolutely, and I think a lot of us would on here - but still he is the manager of Walsall Football Club and deserves to be shown respect by his players, especially a 2nd year professional who is nowhere near fully establishing himself yet.

TWM1962
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Lets face the facts.. Top scorer is on the bench. We sign a pint sized striker/winger from a lower club like the rest of DS and ROK'S team, and we expect miracles. We have anough chances to bury the opposition but we just keep playing as if we were Brazil. We need a team of fighters who play for the shirt and not money. Remember they wont be playing at Bescot next season. They know who they are and I hope the messiahs Gamble and Whalley take charge and we can see how we can win without ''US'" supporting this total garbage ??? JB please help us you xxxxx......

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:39 pm

DYSaddler wrote:Absolutely, and I think a lot of us would on here - but still he is the manager of Walsall Football Club and deserves to be shown respect by his players, especially a 2nd year professional who is nowhere near fully establishing himself yet.

Exactly. Plus the fact Bowerman does nothing outside of the box.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:15 am

latviancheese wrote:
DYSaddler wrote:Absolutely, and I think a lot of us would on here - but still he is the manager of Walsall Football Club and deserves to be shown respect by his players, especially a 2nd year professional who is nowhere near fully establishing himself yet.

Exactly. Plus the fact Bowerman does nothing outside of the box.

This thing about Bowerman doing nothing outside the box is becoming fallacy when the alternatives in his position keep failing to put chances away.

I wasn't too sure before, but given our fortunes in front of goal over the last two games, I don't think we can afford to keep Bowerman on the bench. Even if he does very little outside of the penalty area.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:17 am

The manager of Walsall Football Club deserves respect? Just think about some of the people that Bonser has appointed to that position recently: Paul Merson, Kevan Broadhurst, Jimmy Mullen, Chris Hutchings and now Dean Smith. Can you wonder if some of the players are not as respectful as they should be? Doesn't respect have to be earned these days?

I don't think that Ray Graydon and Richard Money had much trouble earning respect from the players when they were at Walsall.

I suppose if a young player like Bowerman is playing up then the next thing we will hear is that Smith has "lost the dressing room."

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season