Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Lincoln City (H) F A Cup First Round Reply Tuesday 13/11/12

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Lincoln City (H) F A Cup First Round Reply Tuesday 13/1

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:30 am

oldimpsfan wrote:
Bernie wrote:Congratulations to Lincoln, but they won by default. They are a poor Blue Square Premier team, and played like that throughout - but we never looked as if we had the beating of them.

Is there anyone left who denies that Smith is a useless manager who should be sacked?

I think that a tad harsh. I don't think we are currently a poor BSP side but we are certainly only at that level. If our players could be at a higher level than us they wouldn't be playing for Lincoln City and, without being disrespectful, the same applies to Walsall and any other League One clubs surely? You are a much higher level than us. I always regard League One (a marketing ploy) as the Third Division although League One sounds better I agree.

I certainly know that we are only a Conference side and that our level of skill is far below clubs in League One. But we are not that bad although only by Conference standards.

Congratulations to Lincoln City and good luck in the next round! Sounds like sour grapes Bernie, sometimes you just have to suck it up. :|

Absolutely disappointed at the result though and as many are saying where next? If it's any consolation, the 1989 run was seemingly without end too - until we went to Roker Park and won 3-0. Bizarre. The real sickener will be if there's a plum draw in round 3. If it's Millwall etc away or the like then it's not that bad (financially). Also, Lincoln were a league club until recently, so in 50 years hopefully people won't remember they were non-league, but that really is straw clutching.

Overall, I'm kind of more numb than anything and probably living abroad takes the edge off witnessing the humiliation in person. Balls. :|

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Re: Lincoln City (H) F A Cup First Round Replay Tuesday 13/

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:54 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:I'm going. Why? I have no idea.

Ditto.

I don't like to point this out but I've attended all of our cup defeats by non-League teams since the FA Cup resumed in its present form in 1946 - Peterborough United (1959), Yeovil Town (1960 & 1991) and Slough Town (2004). Am I a jinx? Don't answer that! :mrgreen:

You went then i presume Ped?

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:55 am

crodonilson wrote:4-1, league class will show

Audience: 2,406

Keep calm and carry on.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:58 am

Surrey Saddler wrote:Is this a watershed for Walsall football Club? Out of the FA cup to a non league club, free fall in the league, and 1700 home fans?

Make that 1,100 because Lincoln brought 600 odd apparently.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Re: An Elderly Imp thinks what to say............

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 am

oldimpsfan wrote:That's a famous victory for us and we really have not had that many in our very long history. Our Trophy cupboard has contained only cobwebs for many years. I understand the emotions of the home supporters very well because, in recent seasons, they have been broadly shared by our own supporters. Our disappearance from the Football League was particularly painful because all we had to do was to win ONE of our remaining 12 matches to stay up. We failed to do that and, broadly, that was thanks to a set of players who clearly did not give a wotsit for the badge on the shirt they were playing in. Their failure did not matter to them.

Not only that but, more importantly to me, they also didn't care from a professional point of view given that most of them then were earning far more than the daft souls buying the season tickets and hoping against hope on behalf of the club. No doubt most of you also share some of those emotions - BUT, you are still in the Football League and I am sure that is where you will remain.

So it is a bad night for you and a great night for us. It can be argued - and probably will be - that the success of the Imps tonight was down to poor play on your part as much as wonderful play on our part. But there was something much more important on show tonight from a Lincoln perspective - our heads did not drop when you equalised in the 81st minute. We kept going.

Where we do meet, I think, is worrying that the players are "not that concerned". That has been the story of our recent history. I doubt there is anyone in our team (and only one or two) on more than £800 a week and MANY are on considerably less than that because the vast majority are rejects - rejects from some in our Division and occasionally rejects from clubs in lower divisions than us. Rejects who couldn't get a game anywhere else in many cases or were confined to the subs bench.

Tonight they are temporarily heroes and what our Manager (who is also on very little money has achieved is to weld this bunch of "misfits and unwanteds" into a TEAM who, compared with League One clubs are short on skill (otherwise they wouldn't be playing in our Division) but are big on HEART.

I think I would have posted the same had you won 3-2 because we would have given you a game which, after 60 years of supporting the Imps, is all I ask. I can take losses on the chin very easily provided the team give everything and never give up.

We did that tonight and won. We will do that again and lose. That's okay by me.

I do understand your pain but you are still in League One and hopefully it will be a wake up call for the Manager/Players/Chairman. I am of course delighted but my ambition remains to see my club out of the God Awful Conference Premier. In your misery remember you aren't in that.

Every good wish to you Saddlers for the rest of the season. Usual daft words: it's your club so Keep The Faith, hard though that is on many, many occasions.

The players, the Manager, the Chairman/Owners come and go. Only we fans are the constant.

Told you you'd enjoy yourself.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:06 am

JJunior9 wrote:I wonder whether Jamie Taylor fancies a move to the Banks's.

:lol: he'll cost MONEY

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:11 am

oldimpsfan wrote:I do know that Lincoln studied your use of the back pass to your keeper. Whether that made any difference to the goal concerned I have no idea.

Yeah and we STILL keep passing it backwards :x

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:42 am

Having had time to reflect on last night I can now say with full confidence that we will be playing Lincoln City in league game very very soon.
This club is en route to oblivion.What Bonser has done means there will be nobody left to witness the final demise.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:54 am

Dear Saigon, I'm in Melbourne, and it still isn't far enough away to stop this feeling bloody awful. Raised voices in the dressing room - I should bloody hope so. I'm just glad I wasn't close enough to spend money on watching this shambling excuse for a football team. What has happened? Get a grip guys - by now the sirens should be going full blast. And well done Lincoln - our abject failure should not lessen your delight and pride in what your team achieved. From what I hear, you were the better team in both matches, and have thoroughly deserved your victory.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:20 am

Some are being far too kind to Lincoln, no doubt shy because there's a sweet old Gimps fan on here being all diplomatic and everything.

Let's just get this straight - Lincoln were and are cack. They're not average, they're visibly below average for Conference level. Yes, Walsall's performances were equal and worse respectively over 2 legs, but I'm not joining this Lincoln love-in. Bite me.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 am

ihatethecorps wrote:Ignore Bernie, won by default? What a load of betties the best team won and to be fair it should never have gone to a replay.

Sometimes a team from a lower league beats a higher team by playing out of their skins. I can think of times when Walsall went to top teams and played them off the park. That did not happen last night. Lincoln thoroughly deserved their win, but never looked better than a Blue Square team. Most of the Walsall team would not shine in the Blue Square.

And I should also mention the Lincoln supporters. There were not all that many of them, but they certainly got behind their team.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 am

So glad I didnt bother wasting my time and money on watching another "performance" from Walsall FC.

What else do you expect from a team full of very poor players? I said at the start of the season that the signings of Featherstone, Baxendale, Brandy, Hemmings, Holden et al were all below our usual standard of player (even when comparing against the Hutchings and Mullen eras). I highlighted the fact our squad was physically small in July, and now finally, every one else has come to see that too. If I could see that in July, why, oh why couldn't Dean Smith?

In terms of the quality of players - there's a reason why Featherstone, Purkiss and Baxendale were at League 2 Hereford... there's a reason why Hemmings was at League 2 Plymouth...theres a reason why Holden was at a relegated from League One to League Two Rochdale... there's a reason why Brandy was playing in some obscure Greek league (and barely getting a game)... can you see a common theme here?

I dont particularly blame Dean Smith, I know how poor the budget he has to work with is - and if you pay peanuts you will get monkeys. What disappoints me about Smith is that he's failed to see the obvious regarding the physicality of the lower leagues, and failed to bring any players in who can cope with the hustle and bustle of League 1. I'd also blame Smith for the lack of a Plan B, we never see a winger darting for the byline anymore, getting a cross in and a striker attacking the ball, never. Thats partly because a) we havent got a winger capable of beating a man and b) we haven't got a striker with any presence.

All I can say regarding the 2 year contract given to Dean Smith is to pass on what a knowledgeable friend of mine pointed out to me. It is so out-of-sorts of WFC to hand out a long term contract that there must be something in it that benefits the club, maybe a January get-out-clause that didnt exist in Deans old contract, who knows, I'm only speculating.

When you were all jizzing in your beers after the Preston game, I was the one to point out the flaws in our performance, the luck of that performance, the luck that occurred in the previous games etc, and thats why I'm not all that bothered about the current predicament, because I saw this coming back in July when I saw how our squad was shaping up with no real wingers, no height, no strength, no senior striker, a stable of full backs that included Taundry, Purkiss and Chambers, barely any cover at centre half... etc.

Football isn't rocket science, if you pay peanuts, you'll get a team full of lower-league, inconsistent, cant-be-bothered, uncaring, physically lacking, unfit, injury prone, short-contract failures happy to pick up their pay, train 4 days a week then bugger off to whatever seedy vodka bar they frequent on a saturday after the game and boast about their BMW/Audi that they managed to buy on a PCP finance package.

impyyy

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:56 am

Bernie wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:And I should also mention the Lincoln supporters. There were not all that many of them, but they certainly got behind their team.

I was gonna ask, what you thought of the away following vocally.. i thought it was bloody marvellous from start to finish!

I'm still buzzing this morning!

Good luck for the future, and if i were you.. i'd get a new keeper!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:57 am

Talk of an air of inevitability about last night's result is absolutely right. Last night's game went exactly the same way as the Dagenham game this time last year, albeit we were put out of our misery before it got to penalties this time.

What hurts me the most at the moment isn't that we're losing games and it isn't that we're out of the FA Cup. My main gripe is that having assembled a team to play a certain system and a certain style of football, Smith now sits back and watches as his players play the aimless long ball we deployed under Hutchings two years ago. The problem this time around is, we don't have players who can play that way to good effect - we don't have a Jabo or a Jon Macken any more.

We can't blame the budget for the drastic decline in the way we play football - that's a management issue.

The facts that Grof never plays the ball short any more, that the fullbacks don't drop deep to get the ball from him and that Nicky Featherstone and Adam Chambers don't pick the ball up from the back four all stem from somewhere. If that's the players' decision-making, they need to be dropped. If that's the manager's doing, he needs to be sacked.

There are some players who, to be frank, should never play for us again. When you fail to get the better of your non-league opponent twice in ten days, you've showed you're not good enough. There are at least five who started the game last night, who that applies to.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:10 am

philthesaddler wrote:So glad I didnt bother wasting my time and money on watching another "performance" from Walsall FC.

What else do you expect from a team full of very poor players? I said at the start of the season that the signings of Featherstone, Baxendale, Brandy, Hemmings, Holden et al were all below our usual standard of player (even when comparing against the Hutchings and Mullen eras). I highlighted the fact our squad was physically small in July, and now finally, every one else has come to see that too. If I could see that in July, why, oh why couldn't Dean Smith?

In terms of the quality of players - there's a reason why Featherstone, Purkiss and Baxendale were at League 2 Hereford... there's a reason why Hemmings was at League 2 Plymouth...theres a reason why Holden was at a relegated from League One to League Two Rochdale... there's a reason why Brandy was playing in some obscure Greek league (and barely getting a game)... can you see a common theme here?

I dont particularly blame Dean Smith, I know how poor the budget he has to work with is - and if you pay peanuts you will get monkeys. What disappoints me about Smith is that he's failed to see the obvious regarding the physicality of the lower leagues, and failed to bring any players in who can cope with the hustle and bustle of League 1. I'd also blame Smith for the lack of a Plan B, we never see a winger darting for the byline anymore, getting a cross in and a striker attacking the ball, never. Thats partly because a) we havent got a winger capable of beating a man and b) we haven't got a striker with any presence.

All I can say regarding the 2 year contract given to Dean Smith is to pass on what a knowledgeable friend of mine pointed out to me. It is so out-of-sorts of WFC to hand out a long term contract that there must be something in it that benefits the club, maybe a January get-out-clause that didnt exist in Deans old contract, who knows, I'm only speculating.

When you were all jizzing in your beers after the Preston game, I was the one to point out the flaws in our performance, the luck of that performance, the luck that occurred in the previous games etc, and thats why I'm not all that bothered about the current predicament, because I saw this coming back in July when I saw how our squad was shaping up with no real wingers, no height, no strength, no senior striker, a stable of full backs that included Taundry, Purkiss and Chambers, barely any cover at centre half... etc.

Football isn't rocket science, if you pay peanuts, you'll get a team full of lower-league, inconsistent, cant-be-bothered, uncaring, physically lacking, unfit, injury prone, short-contract failures happy to pick up their pay, train 4 days a week then bother off to whatever seedy vodka bar they frequent on a saturday after the game and boast about their BMW/Audi that they managed to buy on a PCP finance package.

I dont bye that whatsover.
Most football clubs in our league and division 2 "pay peanuts" as you put it.
The problem is with the manager who as employed these players and not getting the best out of them.

All this about the budget is a smoke screen to try and pass the blame onto someone else.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:12 am

Utter rubbish no more excuses Smith out

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:31 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:I dont bye that whatsover.
The problem is with the manager who as employed these players and not getting the best out of them.

All this about the budget is a smoke screen to try and pass the blame onto someone else.

Ok, so you think we signed the likes of Brandy, Featherstone, Purkiss, Baxendale, Hemmings et al through CHOICE? And not because of the fact they were the only players desperate enough for a club that they would accept our terms?

You're deluded if you believe we chose to sign those players because we thought they were good enough - I'll ask you this, if I was knowledgeable enough about football to see that this squad, and these signings were not good enough back in July, why couldn't the club?

When we signed Hemmings I immediately voiced my concerns because he'd been let go from one of the poorest (both in terms of quality and finance) clubs in league 2. Ravenscroft piped up and said he'd been a Wolves once therefore must be a premier league player.

And what are you on about regarding a smoke screen re.the budget... did you not see our bench last night??? If thats not an indication of a poor squad, then I dont know what is. You can blame Smith all you like, but at the end of the day what else has he got at his disposal in the squad?

Worsul
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 am

philthesaddler wrote:So glad I didnt bother wasting my time and money on watching another "performance" from Walsall FC.

Football isn't rocket science, if you pay peanuts, you'll get a team full of lower-league, inconsistent, cant-be-bothered, uncaring, physically lacking, unfit, injury prone, short-contract failures happy to pick up their pay, train 4 days a week then bother off to whatever seedy vodka bar they frequent on a saturday after the game and boast about their BMW/Audi that they managed to buy on a PCP finance package.

Worst post of the night.

I'm not happy at the current plight at all, but to claim the Preston performance was lucky is a distortion of the truth. If anything we were very unlucky in some games (e.g v Leyton Orient, Shrewsbury). Unfortunately the evidence doesn't fit your rather simple explanations.

I dare say Dean Smith could have gone out and bought 6ft 6 cloggers in the summer but I for one was glad we were trying something different earlier in the season. I can't speak for other fans but I would rather play attractive football and lose rather than batter teams and win 1-0. In the long term it's the only approach that will work for us anyway (compare the recent history of Swansea, Blackpool and Doncaster to Boston or Chester)

Of course the flaw in my argument is that we're not even playing decent football at the moment, so the losing is especially painful

WFC_Rob wrote:Talk of an air of inevitability about last night's result is absolutely right. Last night's game went exactly the same way as the Dagenham game this time last year, albeit we were put out of our misery before it got to penalties this time.

What hurts me the most at the moment isn't that we're losing games and it isn't that we're out of the FA Cup. My main gripe is that having assembled a team to play a certain system and a certain style of football, Smith now sits back and watches as his players play the aimless long ball we deployed under Hutchings two years ago. The problem this time around is, we don't have players who can play that way to good effect - we don't have a Jabo or a Jon Macken any more.

We can't blame the budget for the drastic decline in the way we play football - that's a management issue.

The facts that Grof never plays the ball short any more, that the fullbacks don't drop deep to get the ball from him and that Nicky Featherstone and Adam Chambers don't pick the ball up from the back four all stem from somewhere. If that's the players' decision-making, they need to be dropped. If that's the manager's doing, he needs to be sacked.

There are some players who, to be frank, should never play for us again. When you fail to get the better of your non-league opponent twice in ten days, you've showed you're not good enough. There are at least five who started the game last night, who that applies to.

Best post of the night. The sheer stupidity of repeatedly playing high balls to Brandy (how tall?) made me want to cry. After setbacks to Leyton Orient, Carlisle etc fans were told to keep faith in our passing style. Someone should have told the players the same.

Special mention for Taundz. I know he (deservedly) gets some stick, but he played well last night (one of the few).

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 am

Worsul wrote:I would rather play attractive football and lose rather than batter teams and win 1-0.

There's nothing more attractive than winning. You've got to be able to 'mix it up', regardless of the level of football. Chelsea bullied their way to a Champions League win last season. It's about being streetwise.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:52 am

Same old excuses off Dean Smith, 2nd goal looked offside blah blah http://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/article/ ... 85500.aspx

Worsul
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:56 am

4143 wrote:
Worsul wrote:I would rather play attractive football and lose rather than batter teams and win 1-0.

There's nothing more attractive than winning. You've got to be able to 'mix it up', regardless of the level of football. Chelsea bullied their way to a Champions League win last season. It's about being streetwise.

This is where I disagree. In general, I'd rather lose and play well than win and play badly. Fortunately in the long term winning and playing well should go together anyway.

Of course in an important game, e.g. cup final I'd take the results over the performance, but you get my drift.

I appreciate other supporters may think differently.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:57 am

I don't think Chelsea did any bullying. Out of the four semi finalists, they lost it the least.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:08 am

4143 wrote:

Absolutely spot on
Streetwise and playing to yuor strenghts
Mind you, it does help if your manager as a brain too!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:12 am

philthesaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:I dont bye that whatsover.

Ok, so you think we signed the likes of Brandy, Featherstone, Purkiss, Baxendale, Hemmings et al through CHOICE? And not because of the fact they were the only players desperate enough for a club that they would accept our terms?

You're deluded if you believe we chose to sign those players because we thought they were good enough - I'll ask you this, if I was knowledgeable enough about football to see that this squad, and these signings were not good enough back in July, why couldn't the club?

When we signed Hemmings I immediately voiced my concerns because he'd been let go from one of the poorest (both in terms of quality and finance) clubs in league 2. Ravenscroft piped up and said he'd been a Wolves once therefore must be a premier league player.

And what are you on about regarding a smoke screen re.the budget... did you not see our bench last night??? If thats not an indication of a poor squad, then I dont know what is. You can blame Smith all you like, but at the end of the day what else has he got at his disposal in the squad?

You make a lot of presumptions in your post.
1. How do you know the players you mentioned were not signed through choice?
2. How do you know we didnt sign these players because we thought they were good enough?
3. What budget as Smith got?

My point is you do not know any of the answers to the above, you PRESUME you do, theres a difference.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:28 am

£800,000 was the number from Cully. Thats the whole squad apparently.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:1. How do you know the players you mentioned were not signed through choice?
2. How do you know we didnt sign these players because we thought they were good enough?
3. What budget as Smith got?

1. Hemmings is from the area, obviously still has links in Birmingham, needed a new club, Walsall represented a local club where he wouldn't have to relocate and thus wouldn't need much of an incentive to sign. Featherstone, Baxendale and Purkiss all played for OKelly last season, and therefore were only signed because they have some kind of relationship with O'Kelly who has faith in them and knows how cheap they are.

2. Because, with the exception of Holden, they were all playing in League 2 last season (or some obscure foreign league), theres a reason why they were playing in League 2 (or some obscure league).

3. We can therefore assume, from 1) and 2) that our budget must be miniscule if we have to resort to signing young midgets from League 2. (Oh, and I know how we managed to sign Cuvelier, which also kind of informs me about the budget we have)

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:40 am

impyyy wrote:
Bernie wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:And I should also mention the Lincoln supporters. There were not all that many of them, but they certainly got behind their team.

I was gonna ask, what you thought of the away following vocally.. i thought it was bloody marvellous from start to finish!

I'm still buzzing this morning!

Good luck for the future, and if i were you.. i'd get a new keeper!

I never wrote that quote, I thought the imps fans were great and got right behind there team.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:40 am

Let's stop blaming the budget for the massive drop in form. The fact is, we were playing some good football, which was, in the main, getting us some positive results. Now the same group of players, led by the same manager, have stopped doing that. You can blame the budget for us having a small squad, but that small squad was managing just fine only a matter of weeks ago.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:42 am

WFC_Rob wrote:Let's stop blaming the budget for the massive drop in form. The fact is, we were playing some good football, which was, in the main, getting us some positive results. Now the same group of players, led by the same manager, have stopped doing that. You can blame the budget for us having a small squad, but that small squad was managing just fine only a matter of weeks ago.

The change has been staggering. He must have really cack on something.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:09 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Let's stop blaming the budget for the massive drop in form. The fact is, we were playing some good football, which was, in the main, getting us some positive results. Now the same group of players, led by the same manager, have stopped doing that. You can blame the budget for us having a small squad, but that small squad was managing just fine only a matter of weeks ago.

Can't blame this one on the budget. Lincoln must spend less than us. If I owned the club, Smith would be sacked for this series of results. In fact I would have sacked him after the embarrassment of Scunthorpe and put Richard O'Kelly in charge.

In my world, I think we would have won last night.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season