Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 10/11/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
mossa

Re: Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 10/11/12.

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:34 pm

Well we played a lot better than Tuesday but we were still poor. If we had played like we did Tuesday against a decent side like Swindon we would have lost 6-0. We look low on confidence and we are playing without purpose. We have 5 fairly slow players or average speed players at best in midfield with no genuine pace. Flo and particularly Hemmings are our only midfielders who have pace (not including Brandy as not sure if his a midfielder or even a footballer for that matter). Where has the Hemmings of the start of the season gone? Deano needs to give him a rollicking and get him motivated again as we would be a better team with a hungry and not arrogant Hemmings in.
As to be expected with a winless run we are low on confidence and as a result of this are playing the long ball more and quite simply the ball keeps getting headed away. Grigg worked hard and made as much as a presence as his frame will allow but Deano's refusal to sign a bigger striker is costing us. Swindon were better than us in every department today and 2-0 probably flattered us a bit, cant really remember one decent chance we had.
Grof- decent game to be fair. Don't think he had much of a chance with the first, not sure about the second. Made 2-3 really good saves tho. 7
Taundry- I actually thought Taundry did okay as well, particularly in the first half. His blocked saved us a certain goal. Not as impressive second half 7
Benning- Great debut, looked lively going forward and defended well. Well done Deano for having the balls to start him (that is the only praise ill give Smith today). Looking forward to seeing more from Benning, deserves to keep his place whether Taylor is fit or not. 8
Butler and Holden- Both struggled today, not terrible but shaky at times and struggled when Swindon attacked . Both 6
Featherstone- Tricky one, passed the ball around well at times but too many mistakes as well. Definately looks better with Flo in the team 6
Chambers- Worked hard but not invloved with play enough. Too similar to Featherstone at times 6
Baxendale- I like the lad but he had a shocker today. Gave the ball away nearly all the time and muscled off the ball when he didn't. Id give him a rest for a couple of games. 4
Paterson- If he had Hemmings pace he would be so much better. Lots of trickery but gets caught by defenders after going past them and usually gets tackled or wastes a pass. 6
Mantom- Played okay, nothing special. Quiet second half after a promising first half. I think he will improve the team overall tho. 6
Grigg- Worked hard, infact very hard. I've been critical of him in the past but he has slowly improved. 7

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:36 pm

hullsaddler wrote:Swindon fans - Think they said 932 or something similar, so about 3200 saddlers

There's got to have been more than that! There was only block empty.The away end holds 1,900.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Slightly better performance, thought we were in for a 5 or 6-0 job after 2 minutes when they took the lead. Thought we might of snook an equaliser at 1-0, but the 2nd really killed the game. Grof is worse than Jon Brain, he scares our defence and everyone infront of him, his decision making is pathetic, kicking woeful - but of course he made 2 regulation saves (that I could have made) and he'l be accepted as a decent league 1 keeper - my arse, he's garbage. Richard Taundry pathetic, skinned all afternoon by Roberts, then Ritchie and then De Vita. Holden paceless, old and shaky. Featherstone has forgotten what 'forward' means, Chambers did okay. Worst performance of the afternoon goes to Paterson, who didnt look for the ball, didnt beat his man, didn't get involved and everytime the ball came near him he put it back out of play with a woeful 1st touch. Baxendale has lost all confidence and needs a rest/changing back into central midfield. Mantom was okay, but should have shot a few times.

Grigg tried hard, but got nothing out of their centre halfs who doubled up on him. Thoose calling for 4-4-2 need to realise we need 5 in midfield, we already look weak at the back with 5. Last season 2 central midfielders, Flo and Mantom played and we got trounced on at the back frequently, they need protection.

Butler and Benning were okay, Mantom, Grigg and Chambers worked hard but had no effect really.

We need Purkiss, Taylor and Cuvelier back fit ASAP as Richard Taundry, Featherstone, Baxendale and Grof all need a rest/reserving/loaning out.

Positives?
The attitude was slightly better, Brandy looked better in the 2nd half when he came on and might be worth a start, Butler and Benning look okay on the left hand side of the defence.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Where do you start with that shower of sh!te?

Starting line up: You've just come out of a home hammering with the fans on your back, so you leave your top scorer on the bench. Not a good start.

You then concede a silly goal after 59seconds, and straight away your 4-5-1 tactic looks rather inept.

You then wait until the 82 minute to bring on said top scorer.

I've never known any team in any league go from one extreme to another like Walsall. Although I had my reservations after the Preston match, it was still a solid performance. Compare that to the way this team are playing now, and its just unbelievable - but thats what happens when you fill a team full of youth inexperience of most importantly of all, no physical presence whatsoever.

Grigg had a terrible game today, he didnt win a single header. He may not like playing up front on his own, but that was his job today and he didn't even bother to jump most of the time.

Taundry had a woeful game also, constantly getting caught out of position, or caught out for pace.

Paterson, again, woeful, if you counted the amount of times he gives the ball away you would be amazed. He's stopped being a winger and has turned in to a poor wide midfielder who tries to cut in all the time and ends up getting tackled cos he so weak and small.

Swindon didnt even have to break in to a sweat today, thats the most worrying thing, they looked head and shoulders above WFC, and theyre just an average side in this league.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:54 pm

The positives.

1. Smith has confirmed that he is a clueless, brain dead idiot with absolutely no idea how to even attempted to draw a game let alone win one. What a ridiculous selection and formation to play at home, one striker, no instructions to play it wide but just mess about a bit in the middle, get put under pressure by more mobile and physical players pass the ball under pressure back to the slow and ponderous defence [Benning excepted, who today had the best début of any player for Walsall since I can remember] and then play numerous suicide balls an back passes to Grof who proceeded to thump the ball upfront or anywhere including to their players.
2. Benning was superb and thoroughly deserved his man of the match award.
3. Finally bringing on some attack minded players who despite being rubbish and midget like at least attacked down each wing and produced a little excitement [Brandy and Hemmings]

Negatives.

1. Walsall fans who booed Hemmings when he came on. Absolute morons situated in the lower pot noodle, blue pop, Pauls Boutique stand [copyright Asps]
2. Posters who still think that Smith should stay because they think that there is nobody who can do a better job, think he is still learning, think that having 'some stability' for two and a half years is somehow beneficial, think that we have the players to play like Barcelona, blame lack of money, the owner, the score board, the stayaways, the fans, stating the bleedin' obvious in fact anything that doesn't point the finger at Smiths poor performance as manager.
3. Smith is still manager for two and a half years.

LLLLDLDDLL :arrow: PERIOD

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Sadders wrote:Slightly better performance, thought we were in for a 5 or 6-0 job after 2 minutes when they took the lead. Thought we might of snook an equaliser at 1-0, but the 2nd really killed the game. Grof is worse than Jon Brain, he scares our defence and everyone infront of him, his decision making is pathetic, kicking woeful - but of course he made 2 regulation saves (that I could have made) and he'l be accepted as a decent league 1 keeper - my backside, he's garbage.

Grigg tried hard, but got nothing out of their centre halfs who doubled up on him. Thoose calling for 4-4-2 need to realise we need 5 in midfield, we already look weak at the back with 5. Last season 2 central midfielders, Flo and Mantom played and we got trounced on at the back frequently, they need protection.

Rubbish.

Firstly, you criticise Grof heavily... Was it Grof who let their winger in behind our defence after 59 seconds and let him get a cross in from inside the box? No. Grof has no chance if thats the way theyre going to defend. And the 2nd goal was a hard low shot, I dont think he had a chance with that. He then made 2 good saves, one he tipped on to the post, one he palmed out, so it could have been 3 or 4 nil without Grof.

I do agree that he's not the best keeper we've ever seen, but theres only so much blame you can lay at his door. Did you see some of the passbacks to him today? The defence is nervy, and that doesnt help the keeper either.

Secondly, you then go on to say Grigg tried hard... were you watching the same game? I didnt see the centre halves doubling up on him, were you seeing double? Did he make a single run? Did he chase anything down? Did he win a single header? Did he have a single shot?

The answer to the questions above is the same... NO.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Cully wrote:The positives.

1. Smith has confirmed that he is a clueless, brain dead idiot with absolutely no idea how to even attempted to draw a game let alone win one. What a ridiculous selection and formation to play at home, one striker, no instructions to play it wide but just mess about a bit in the middle, get put under pressure by more mobile and physical players pass the ball under pressure back to the slow and ponderous defence [Benning excepted, who today had the best début of any player for Walsall since I can remember] and then play numerous suicide balls an back passes to Grof who proceeded to thump the ball upfront or anywhere including to their players.
3. Finally bringing on some attack minded players who despite being rubbish and midget like at least attacked down each wing and produced a little excitement [Brandy and Hemmings]

Negatives.

1. Walsall fans who booed Hemmings when he came on.Did you see him at Lincoln? He deserves all the abuse he gets.I don't mind so much if a player is cack, but to not try is unforgiveable.He was the only one at Lincoln who looked as though he didn't give a stuff.It's amazing he tried at Sporting Khalsa on Wednesday or has he finally found his level? Absolute morons situated in the lower pot noodle, blue pop, Pauls Boutique stand [copyright Asps]
2. Posters who still think that Smith should stay because they think that there is nobody who can do a better job, think he is still learning, think that having 'some stability' for two and a half years is somehow beneficial, think that we have the players to play like Barcelona, blame lack of money, the owner, the score board, the stayaways, the fans, stating the bleedin' obvious in fact anything that doesn't point the finger at Smiths poor performance as manager.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:05 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:Slightly better performance, thought we were in for a 5 or 6-0 job after 2 minutes when they took the lead. Thought we might of snook an equaliser at 1-0, but the 2nd really killed the game. Grof is worse than Jon Brain, he scares our defence and everyone infront of him, his decision making is pathetic, kicking woeful - but of course he made 2 regulation saves (that I could have made) and he'l be accepted as a decent league 1 keeper - my backside, he's garbage.

Rubbish.

Firstly, you criticise Grof heavily... Was it Grof who let their winger in behind our defence after 59 seconds and let him get a cross in from inside the box? No. Grof has no chance if thats the way theyre going to defend. And the 2nd goal was a hard low shot, I dont think he had a chance with that. He then made 2 good saves, one he tipped on to the post, one he palmed out, so it could have been 3 or 4 nil without Grof.

I do agree that he's not the best keeper we've ever seen, but theres only so much blame you can lay at his door. Did you see some of the passbacks to him today? The defence is nervy, and that doesnt help the keeper either.

Secondly, you then go on to say Grigg tried hard... were you watching the same game? I didnt see the centre halves doubling up on him, were you seeing double? Did he make a single run? Did he chase anything down? Did he win a single header? Did he have a single shot?

There were people having a go at Grof when we nearly conceded a second goal in the first half.That was featherstone's fault for passing it back to Grof in the first place! I'm sure our players have got a fetish about passing it sideways and backwards.We look like Ray Wilkins!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:

Negatives.

1. Walsall fans who booed Hemmings when he came on.Did you see him at Lincoln? He deserves all the abuse he gets.I don't mind so much if a player is cack, but to not try is unforgiveable.He was the only one at Lincoln who looked as though he didn't give a stuff.It's amazing he tried at Sporting Khalsa on Wednesday or has he finally found his level? Absolute morons situated in the lower pot noodle, blue pop, Pauls Boutique stand [copyright Asps]

You know what, I don't care what he did or didn't do for you or the team at Lincoln. When a player comes onto the pitch, regardless of your opinion, booing him is not beneficial to either him or the team. If you want to boo a player that's up to you but why don't you wait until the match has finished, go and wait outside the changing rooms and then tell him face to face what you think. You might be surprised with what he might say to you. Look how some fans constant jeering can upset the confidence of the goalkeeper when most of the time it is other players poor play that puts them in an onerous position.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Cully wrote:

Negatives.

You know what, I don't care what he did or didn't do for you or the team at Lincoln. When a player comes onto the pitch, regardless of your opinion, booing him is not beneficial to either him or the team. If you want to boo a player that's up to you but why don't you wait until the match has finished, go and wait outside the changing rooms and then tell him face to face what you think. You might be surprised with what he might say to you. Look how some fans constant jeering can upset the confidence of the goalkeeper when most of the time it is other players poor play that puts them in an onerous position.

Well stop worrying about what other people say then if you don't care :roll:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:15 pm

The ball boys at the Villa game are bigger than half of our first team squad.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:16 pm

When I got the message through whilst on my hols that we'd conceded after 1 min was histerical as I'd text after thirty seconds if we,d lost yet ?!?!? I then threw my phone away . I quickly replied that our club is run by clowns for giving a two and a half year contract out for nothing . I'm a very angry Saddler who sits very close to our brain dead board. My god I can't wait for the first home game on my return. I doubt your ever reading this board but fluke off every single one of you useless lady gardens in charge of our yes our football club. :evil:
Up the Saddlers . Forever !!

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:24 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:

He would have had to have a rocket attached to him to make runs skywards to the service we provided him today! Everyone cried for Bowerman to come on, but it is pointless when you play the kind of hoof and hope football we are resorting to, they have no chance as witnessed by the last two performances! Oh and Grof was to blame for that as his distribution is terrible and generally isn't within the same vicinity as a Walsall player, our forwards have more chance of winning the lottery than guessing where he is going to kick it!!!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:44 pm

The only thing we had to hold onto was losing narrowly, now all we do is lose without a whimper. I wasnt there, but it doesnt suprise me we are now a limp apendage.

We will be bottom four in january, the time teams naturally strengthen for their goal for the season. Or, so im led to believe :lol:

Its even more depressing when you are lulled into a false sense of optimism, because we are stupid enough to love football, clinging onto it as we have been cack for many years. We have reverted to type, that normally wouldnt bother me, but the future is bleak as we have just given Smith a two year contract, im not saying sack him now really, but if we lose the next 5 on the trot, we will have too. But, we wont(cant).

As if life wasnt a struggle enough moneywise, i have been lumbered with some kind of strange feeling towards Walsall FC, im sick of this crap. I probably wont be back this season im afraid unless some horrible fool buys me a ticket to torture me. As its impossible for me to turn that down usually, good luck to all the lads who will turn up every week. Your gonna need it, i salute you.

Im off to get muntered. UTS

PS, im not a stayway, i just ay got no pennies :(

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:05 pm

We where cack , that's all that's need to be said.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Negatives.

1. Walsall fans who booed Hemmings when he came on. Absolute morons situated in the lower pot noodle, blue pop, Pauls Boutique stand [copyright Asps]

Agreed - to break into the 1st team and get man of the match is tremendous for the lad

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:12 pm

So I take it:
1. The DNA needs adjusting.
2. The honeymoon is over for Smith.
3. The coach driver will be swotting up on the whereabouts of Division 3 grounds.
4. We won't be raiding Hereford's playing staff again.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:27 pm

philthesaddler wrote:The ball boys at the Villa game are bigger than half of our first team squad.

But at least our ball boys are the same size as half of our players apart from Baxendale.

Side Saddle

Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:40 pm

The only thing wrong with baxendale is that he spends most of his energy waving his hands in the air in acres of space and none of his so called team mates acknowledge hes there. its been like that since day one and hes the only one in the team with any genuine class and thats the problem....this is not the baxendale appreciation society but if you think about it the wanna be superstars in the team by pass him and each other and thats the trouble we are not a team...

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Three points away from the drop , something must be done quickly

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:11 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Rubbish.

There were people having a go at Grof when we nearly conceded a second goal in the first half.That was featherstone's fault for passing it back to Grof in the first place! I'm sure our players have got a fetish about passing it sideways and backwards.We look like Ray Wilkins!

Featherstone played the ball back to Grof and all he had to do was put his foot through it. Instead, Grof decides to give it him straight back when he has three opposition players on him and no one to pass to. Grof was saved by a very soft free kick given by the ref

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:32 pm

Yeah but I don't know if you noticed that Grof is right footed? So what does Featherstone do with time and no one around him? Pass it to Grof on his left foot!!!!! Most outfield players fall over if they try and kick the ball with their wrong foot so Grof will be no different. At the end of the day Featherstone shouldn't be bloody passing the ball back! Especially when we're losing

TWM1962
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Another defeat. What did we expect. Paulo where's nice shoes. Waves his hands and tries to encourage a poor side that won!,,,, DS look AT the positives.... BRANNING.. Well done kid. You did your dad proud today and of you had put effort in to score from half chance. you were MOTM. You have a bright future. Get out now

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:24 am

I said I felt Di Canio had watched us and knew our passing back system so put more pressure on us and he pretty much says so himself in his own interview.

We simply need to be passing better and not panicking so much under pressure, the "pros" could learn from benning.

Here's dicanios interview http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20283895#asset

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:02 am

TWM1962 wrote:Another defeat. What did we expect. Paulo where's nice shoes. Waves his hands and tries to encourage a poor side that won!,,,, DS look AT the positives.... BRANNING.. Well done kid. You did your dad proud today and of you had put effort in to score from half chance. you were MOTM. You have a bright future. Get out now

Who the hell is this Branning kid you speak of? sounds like 1 hell of a player.

You are right about Di Canio he has so much passion yet our gormless twit just stands there with his hands in his pockets, how the hell does that motivate players? My god you cam imagine how dull team talks are

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:43 am

Flumpodism! :( :x :(

Implosion of 1989 proportions!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:03 am

Cully wrote:

Negatives.

Indeed, Cullyvinder.

The crowd behind me were an embarrassing shower when he came on.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:46 am

LLLLDLDDLL :arrow: PERIOD. What's all the moaning it could be worse.

bush360
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:06 am

SaddlerCraig wrote:I said I felt Di Canio had watched us and knew our passing back system so put more pressure on us and he pretty much says so himself in his own interview.

We simply need to be passing better and not panicking so much under pressure, the "pros" could learn from benning.

Here's dicanios interview http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20283895#asset

You have to wonder if we can pass under presuure at the back, from the start of the season we have tried to play the game from the back, however the better managers have now found out that Taundry and Chambers cannot move the ball as effectively as Purkiss and Taylor. Benning was a better choice but Baxendale looks like he has lost all confidence. So we go hoof ball to Grigg, who is fine when it goes to his feet but no good giving him a ball at 7ft. We have not got a plan B.
I thought both Brandy andHemmings offered more than Baxendale and Patterson. Holden looks like he is carrying some knocks as he his as slow as a carthoss. The back line consisted of Butler, Taundry got sucked to the ball for the first goal, and did not a lot else to inspire me with confidence. Perhaps he knows he is second choice and is just going through the motions

We need to get a good striker in who either Grigg or Bowerman can feed off.

WelshWalsallBen
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:02 am

Just out of interest did anyone make any money betting on Swindon???

Could never do it myself betting against Walsall but to me looking at the coupons it was a banker on current form.

Did win a few quid on Scunny though

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season