Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (H) League 1 Tuesday 6/11/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Scunthorpe United (H) League 1 Tuesday 6/11/12.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:19 am

We could certainly do a lot worse than asking Mantom to come back for a few games, he owuld bring some energy into the middle. I think he gets on the baggies bench these days though doesnt he?

We need someone in midfield, someone in goal, and someone with a fat arse who can be a nuisance.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 am

Cheer up my fellow Saddlers we have another two years of this rubbish to put up with :(

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:48 am

latviancheese wrote:We need someone in midfield, someone in goal, and someone with a fat backside who can be a nuisance.

Absolutely. We hadn't got a clue how to deal with Leon Clarke last night, who proved what sort of player you can bring in at this level without having to pay wages of Pompey/Sheffield utd proportions.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:05 pm

saddla wrote:
leics_saddler wrote:Hands up who thinks Mourinho will put Hemmings on to terrorise their 10?

If Hemmings ever takes the field wearing a Walsall shirt again I'll be handing back my season ticket.

He will.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Duke wrote:Cheer up my fellow Saddlers we have another two years of this rubbish to put up with :(

No we 'effing don't....... Merci et bon soir

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:01 pm

latviancheese wrote:We could certainly do a lot worse than asking Mantom to come back for a few games, he owuld bring some energy into the middle. I think he gets on the baggies bench these days though doesnt he?

We need someone in midfield, someone in goal, and someone with a fat backside who can be a nuisance.

I said on here before the season started that we needed Mantom back but got blasted on here saying that it would be a waste of budget......oh how times have changed

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:11 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:
latviancheese wrote:We could certainly do a lot worse than asking Mantom to come back for a few games, he owuld bring some energy into the middle. I think he gets on the baggies bench these days though doesnt he?

We need someone in midfield, someone in goal, and someone with a fat backside who can be a nuisance.

I said on here before the season started that we needed Mantom back but got blasted on here saying that it would be a waste of budget......oh how times have changed

And at the start of the season you were proved totally wrong as our midfield was doing a lot of dominating. Now, not so much!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:

And at the start of the season you were proved totally wrong as our midfield was doing a lot of dominating. Now, not so much!

It's the same midfield, the same midfield where it now seems we played teams at the right time i.e Bournemouth, Pompey and luckily Brentford etc

It was blatantly obviously we were weak in midfield without Cuvelier and when he finally leaves and does not return (lets face it who would begrudge him not wanting to come back) where will we be? Begging the Albion for Sam? Hindsight is a wonderful thing but clearly not as good as seeing it from the beginning :wink:

Happydays2122
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:31 pm

Baxendale. Feathers tone. Decent players. But when they really needed some experience to help em out. Give them confidence again. Who are they gonna look to ???? Taundry ????? That's the problem. Total lack of investment and foresight. All of our decent proven players turned down contract offers and we replaced them with players no where near as good as we let go. To me it's simple. Smith had some responsibility. Why such a dramatic slump after that Preston performance but basically he's doing an impossible job.

Decisions he's made where I would attach blame

Dropping purkiss. The start of our bad form. Why ?

Darlow. He threw away points and goals !!!!!!!

And the persistence with grigg !!!!!!!!!!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Happydays2122 wrote:Baxendale. Feathers tone. Decent players. But when they really needed some experience to help em out. Give them confidence again. Who are they gonna look to ???? Taundry ????? That's the problem. Total lack of investment and foresight. All of our decent proven players turned down contract offers and we replaced them with players no where near as good as we let go. To me it's simple. Smith had some responsibility. Why such a dramatic slump after that Preston performance but basically he's doing an impossible job.

Decisions he's made where I would attach blame

Dropping purkiss. The start of our bad form. Why ?

Darlow. He threw away points and goals !!!!!!!

And the persistence with grigg !!!!!!!!!!

Never understand why he dropped Purkiss for Taundry, Purkiss had not done anything wrong apart from lack pace.

Why are you blaming Grigg? everyone knows im his biggest critic but his work rate of late has been very good, just wish he would practice heading the ball. One little criticism and this is towards Bowerman aswel, neither striker makes the effort to make runs into space or take a gamble, 2 or 3 times the ball was put across the 6 yard box and not one person was breaking their neck to get on the end of it, so frustrating.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Story on the front page. No point in having a poll!
http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/2012/11/07/Scunthorpe/

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:28 pm

God last night MUST have been REALLY bad, the Fatboyslim post was utterly negative!
Like a poster above mentioned, how can virtually the same set of players that tore Shrewsbury apart on the tele, be so bad as to be beyond belief...the reason I fear is obvious, we can't score goals! see Shrewsbury result.
Failing to score on a regular basis drains a team of confidence, because they all know they are on a loser as soon as they set foot on the pitch, no threat from a non existent attack means the emphasis is on defence alone...and confidence is totally shot in that department. Smith HAS to act, and act fast, no reaction will be followed by humiliation on Saturday, followed by utter and total humiliation on Tuesday as we are knocked out of the cup by an average Conference team.
Sort out a striker, and the confidence may, may, return in time for us to avoid certain relegation.

And my £100 bet is right up the swanny!!! :x :x :x
might cover it with a few bob on Lincoln....dons tin hat...

heretosayafewwords

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:36 pm

All this was going to happen at some point. We were winning games early on with some long rangers and "worldy" type efforts. When they dry up, and they always do, we cant actually play our way into the opposition box, aside from flo, the rest just dont have it.

Football is a simple game in the end - its all about players. We have a few decent ones and the rest are very very avergage. We could have Pep Guardiola here and he wouldnt do a fat lot better.

Worst of all is our lack of a goal threat. Teams know they can attack us without leaving themselves stretched.

Paterson - too young, too lightweight, needs much more time.
Grigg - less than 1 dimensional, slow and one footed.
Bowerman - also too young but not as far away as Paterson. Potnetial - that will soon be killed of we continue to destroy his confidence by leaving him alone against experienced phyical guys who will eat him alive.

Look at the squad people, its as clear as day. We dont have the players!!!

heretosayafewwords

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:God last night MUST have been REALLY bad, the Fatboyslim post was utterly negative!
Like a poster above mentioned, how can virtually the same set of players that tore Shrewsbury apart on the tele, be so bad as to be beyond belief...the reason I fear is obvious, we can't score goals! see Shrewsbury result.
Failing to score on a regular basis drains a team of confidence, because they all know they are on a loser as soon as they set foot on the pitch, no threat from a non existent attack means the emphasis is on defence alone...and confidence is totally shot in that department. Smith HAS to act, and act fast, no reaction will be followed by humiliation on Saturday, followed by utter and total humiliation on Tuesday as we are knocked out of the cup by an average Conference team.
Sort out a striker, and the confidence may, may, return in time for us to avoid certain relegation.

And my £100 bet is right up the swanny!!! :x :x :x
might cover it with a few bob on Lincoln....dons tin hat...

In a nutshell, yes. Our forward line is the weakest Ive ever known.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 pm

heretosayafewwords wrote:All this was going to happen at some point. We were winning games early on with some long rangers and "worldy" type efforts.

Where's that myth come from. The only 'worldy' goals we've scored this season that arguably had a bit of good fortune about them are Baxendale's two - one at home to Preston and the other at Fratton Park. The rest have been scored via set pieces and fairly well-worked passages of play.

There are plenty of problems with the team at the moment, but to suggest the points we already have on the board are thanks to luck and that last night's performance had been a long time coming is complete rubbish.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:52 am

Just for those of you who weren't there this http://www1.skysports.com/football/live ... 2881/video is how bad we were, and that was only the half of it

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:Just for those of you who weren't there this http://www1.skysports.com/football/live ... 2881/video is how bad we were, and that was only the half of it

That, was painfull on the eye, both on the pitch , and, the empty terraces, things look bad, after this Saturdays mauling,and Tuesdays F.A. Cup exit, I figure attendances wow improve any! :( :(

I see Smith has boosted our situation by hitting the loan market like someone about to lose his job...Not!

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season