Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (H) League 1 Tuesday 6/11/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Scunthorpe United (H) League 1 Tuesday 6/11/12.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:49 pm

I look forward to our players talking about their haircuts and new cars on twitter.

Every single Scunthorpe should be released and thrown back onto the footballing scrapheap.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Just on way home. Moved from Smith fan to Smith out clan now.

One of the worst performances I have ever seen.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:51 pm

If as expected, Swindon give us a pasting, don't be surprised to see barely 2,000 for Lincoln.
And that will only be down to their travelling support.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:52 pm

According to "Walsall made-up-stories" we are linked with Keammar Daley of PNE a whopping 5'8". Looks like a certainty then.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:53 pm

leics_saddler wrote:If as expected, Swindon give us a pasting, don't be surprised to see barely 2,000 for Lincoln.
And that will only be down to their travelling support.

Who won 3-0 tonight so will be coming to us more confident than we will be. :?

newjersey exile

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:54 pm

In order to avoid the filter - what in the world of barbie happened?!!!

Just saw the BBC results.

My internet is patchy at best right now - thanks to the hurricane - Sadd Player kept dying on me.

So the 'purple patch' is well and truly over then is it? What a damn shame - I was enjoying that!

Haven't had time or the chance to read the whole of this thread - can anyone tell me in just a few words what happened tonight?

By the way 'We lost' doesn't count !!!!

Thanks chaps

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:57 pm

To quote from George Orwell's 1984

'If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping
on a human face—for ever.’

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Wall to wall c a c k. If there was ever a case for reviving public executions tonight was it.

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:00 pm

This link probably sums up the current situation pretty well:

http://www.hark.com/clips/qtcncztklx-good-grief

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Eagerly awaiting the clubs next move. An extention to the 2 and 1/2 years or a 10 year deal for Grof?

I feel desparately for those poor souls who attended tonight. The only way to make any sort of statement to the lack of investment and incredibly poor decision making from the heirarchy at this club is a total boycott of the Lincoln home tie.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:03 pm

That was so bad that there is no point even trying to describe it on a site with a swear filter. Left with 20 minutes to go so I missed our moment of Irish magic.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:06 pm

just got in from what is one of the worst home matches since 1990

i wont even attempt to get past the swear filter on here but that was absolutely dog turd.

no passion from the kick off a pale imitation of the side i saw 6 weeks ago.

trust me people we are going down this year were just doing it back to front this year with a good start and and an awful middle and end.

i wouldnt pay one player their wage tonight and they all disgust me with their attititudes

to be honest i wouldnt be bothered if 6 or 7 of them went tomorrow as theyre god awful players.

1 expect no more than 1500 next tuesday and a game i thought was winnable we will lose and get knocked out trust me.

wishing i hadnt signed up for the season after tonight and may well tale me a long time to get over it

dean smith 2 and a half years was a massive own goal one which we will rue

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:07 pm

m&m wrote:Eagerly awaiting the clubs next move. An extention to the 2 and 1/2 years or a 10 year deal for Grof?

I feel desparately for those poor souls who attended tonight. The only way to make any sort of statement to the lack of investment and incredibly poor decision making from the heirarchy at this club is a total boycott of the Lincoln home tie.

So do I. The 2,661 deserve so much better.

If Smith does not turn this around over the next few weeks he has to go, whether he has just signed a new contract or not.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:10 pm

The sooner the dwarfs eff off to Panto and take the two ugly sisters on the sidelines with them, the better.

Two and a half year contract my arse

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Look on the bright side.
We are improving under Smith.
I have been told this is FACT on another thread.
Its only a matter of time before we stop conceding goals.
Its only a matter of time before those clubs start knocking on Bonsers door to get Smith out of that contract.
CLAP CLAP CLAP
And all that!

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 pm

oh and forgot to say was that bad they didnt even announce a man of the match!!
ive never known that!!!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:15 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
m&m wrote:Eagerly awaiting the clubs next move. An extention to the 2 and 1/2 years or a 10 year deal for Grof?

So do I. They deserve so much better.

If Smith does not turn this around over the next few weeks he has to go, whether he has just signed a new contract or not.

I am still struggling to understand how, with Smith being a centre half, we are so poor at the back this season and have been shipping goals for fun. I've said a few times in the last month, and from what I've seen in recent games, that's the area we need most work at the moment. Can't seem to defend corners and balls into our box, or deal with any sort of pace being thrown at us. No point getting a striker in if we are going to concede at least 2 a game.

JJunior9
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Two and a half year contract means that we are stuck with what we have.

After the horror show at Lincoln, I was expecting a reaction tonight.

Walker must come back for Saturday now; this result is embarrassing and inexcusable.

I look forward to hearing what the 'excuse' is - having said that, on paper, I would swap most of our players for Scunthorpe's and Scunthorpe are not good.

Maybe the 'Hereford rejects' tag is starting to ring true now

Still, at least we have Brandy and Purkiss to return :roll:

If I was Flo, I would go back to Stoke now and get fit for a Championship move in January (turning down Middlesbro might not have been the best move but I'm sure they would have him back at Xmas) He doesn't deserve to be associated with that shower :oops:

bush360
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:18 pm

No full backs, two centre mids who cannot be creative, no forward line, no goalkeeper, two wide players who cannot cross nor track back. Have I missed Jake Jones, was he on the pitch? Centre Halfs who cannot mark and allow free headers from corners
From the kick off when Taundry went hoof ball, I did not believe we were the same team that played football so superbly to this
Absolute dross, ring the changes, we need a few no many new players, the team is lost, Flo will go back in January after watching this lot

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Well that was abysmal, one shot on target in 90minutes, no passion, no tactics, no nothing.

I said at the start of the season that this squad was small in terms of quantity and small in terms of physicality, as just look at how we are being out muscled in every game now.

It ain't rocket science, trevor Benjamin was lnt a particularly brilliant footballer but he was a big bloke and that alone is enough to cause problems in the lower leagues.

We lack any proper wingers, Holden keeps getting caught out of position and James chambers is not fit clearly.

My prediction from the start of the season stands, I just feel sorry for those who got all excited when we struck lucky a few times

chesterperry

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:28 pm

Makes you think, these people who have just given DS the 2 1/2 year deal are in charge (ish) of a business with a 5 million + turnover (albiet with a tiny profit). How the heck to there people get into a position to make these sort of decisions. Answers on a postcard!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Well that was abysmal, one shot on target in 90minutes, no passion, no tactics, no nothing.

I said at the start of the season that this squad was small in terms of quantity and small in terms of physicality, as just look at how we are being out muscled in every game now.

It ain't rocket science, trevor Benjamin was lnt a particularly brilliant footballer but he was a big bloke and that alone is enough to cause problems in the lower leagues.

We lack any proper wingers, Holden keeps getting caught out of position and James chambers is not fit clearly.

My prediction from the start of the season stands, I just feel sorry for those who got all excited when we struck lucky a few times

Lots of truth in those sentences.

We have been sussed!

WelshWalsallBen
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Just got back from game. Shocking performance outplayed for 90 minutes. Defence shambles, Midfield think they forgot there was a game the young lad Jones out his depth poor lad. Obvious we have no players to change the game and to bring different tatics and plan of action. Just goes to show without Flo we struggle.

Think we need 3-4 players bringing in to halt the slide. Smith says he will ring the changes but who exactly.

The board have backed Smith with a longer contract know he needs to bring players in and quick. I dont care loan freebies whatever.

The article Gamble wrote in programme

I quote

outlined aims and goals.

fluid passing style of play

Hard work

Didn't see that today. And from what people have told me and from what I read and seen on TV I didn't see Saturday.

Would show the door to Hemmings and Brandy. How people can see they would like to see Brandy given a chance is plain daft. U have 2 young strikers who given a chance will at least create chances and with the right players in midfield backing them up score goals.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Saarland Saddler wrote:One of the worst performances I have ever seen.

That is not an exaggeration. It was a shambles of Mersonesque proportions.

Mystifying team selection. Picking an unfit James Chambers over Ben Purkiss (who had a poor 45 minutes towards the end of September and hasn't been seen since)? I know Purkiss isn't great, but just how many points did we win with him in the team compared with how many without him? Dropping Grigg? Again - I know he isn't great but he's as good as we've got. Bowerman does nothing but score - I understand him playing, but not as a lone striker. It's a good job his hair moves all over the place, because his feet don't. What a tactical masterstroke to move James Baxendale - who had a good game a couple of months ago, apparently - into the Lionel Messi position after 20 minutes. He touched the ball five times in the first half - twice got tackled, twice kicked it to an opponent and once kicked it into touch.

Important football lesson for Dean Smith #1: leaving the opposing team's tallest player completely unmarked at corners is not a good idea.
Important football lesson for Dean Smith #2: pumping long balls up to James Baxendale or Jamie Paterson when they're being marked by players 18 inches taller is also not a good idea.
(I wish they taught that sort of thing on the UEFA coaching courses.)

It's always important to look at the positives, and so it's only fair to do so now. The one great positive was that Ashley Hemmings didn't come on.

With Cuvelier out, the midfield is sub-League Two standard and unless the manager does something about that, we'll see similar scorelines every week.

Appalling. Even in the darkest days of Mullen and Hutchings we didn't scrape those depths.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:45 pm

0/10 for the performance

10/10 to Dean Smith in continuing to be the greatest blagger in the history of football

0.1/10 for people blaming Grof rather than the manager for the mess

-1/10 to BBC WM who again stated on the radio that it would be a successful season if we avoided relegation. Not only is it an false statement but it's so utterly drenched with negativity that some of the planks who support WFC are starting to believe it

mossa

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Done something I have never done before, left after 70 minutes of play. Having to drive back to Tamworth, im highly glad I did. That performance was absoluely shocking. I have a season ticket and have seen us win once in 8 nine games this season (I had to miss the PNE game as i had family commitements). I don't know where to start but we are in serious trouble. The last 2 performances go to show just how important Flo is to our team, he is quite simply vital to our team and any success we have. He will be gone soon and I doubt Stoke will renew which we can't complain about as we have had a brilliant year from him.
My main problem with Smith is why has he decided to still not sign a striker with a bit of presence about him. Our striker force must be the worst in the division. Bowerman has goals in him but is very raw and is certainly not a player who can play on his own up front. When we needed a striker on loan who did he sign, a goalkeeeper. Smith can motivate but clearly only has 1 plan and if that doesn't work then we are undone by teams. He also doesn't set our teams up mentally right, it's not a coincidence that we concede so many late important goals under him.
In an ideal world would I like to see Smith leave? I would now probably say yes and i'm not one of these fans who overreacts. The fact is though this is not going to happen, we don't have the money to pay up a 2 and a half year contracts. Why the board give him these needs addressing though. I think someone hit the nail on the head about Smith before ,his a good youth team coach who seems a nice guy but not a first time manager.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:49 pm

I wanna see Rob and Registered on here tonight mocking us for still being negative panickers. If anyone can still pick positives from that complete shower of white then they have their heads in a dangerously deep bucket of sand.

There are no words to describe just how bad and clueless that performance was. Whoever decided to give Smith a contract extension needs to resign first thing in the morning.

Less than 3k for a league match? Well well Bonser, we really are a club transformed.

If any fan pays good money to go next Tuesday then they are clinically insane. I will most definitely be sat at home. That bunch of so called players don't (even indirectly) deserve our hard earned money.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:51 pm

Pathetic again. Don't know what is going on but it needs sorting out, left after the fourth went in like hundreds of others.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:51 pm

So for all of thoose that didn't go to Lincoln on Saturday that thought my match report was OTT - let me tell you Saturday was more infuriating that tonight. Tonight we just had nothing, it was a flat, lifeless performance devoid in quality in every single pitch. Featherstone is a coward, Holden slow and passed it, Bowerman too weak, Baxendale confidence-less, the Chambers brothers unfit/crabby. Special shout out to Taundry, he may be one of our but he's also one of the worst players to be named professional. Special mention to David Grof, ahh yes Joe Hart's number 2 (as some of our fans would tell you) - after tonight he heads finally into Jon Brain territory for terrible goalkeepers. I count that as 9 or 10 goals he's at fault for this season, including 2 tonight. The mans GARBAGE.

The most dissapointing part of the night, was looking at Butler's face after he failed to connect with a header late on - he looked to the sky resigned and downbeat - NEVER seen that before. If he can't look motivated for a game, then something's seriously wrong in the dressing room, be it confidence or morale.

I did warn thoose that started posting 'we're seeing something special' after Bournemouth away, that we'd run out of form. We were scoring screamers and holding leads we barely deserved (see Mk Dons at home, see Baxendale v PNE & Portsmouth), the second they inevitable dried up, we'd look bang average.

Tonight summed up everything about WFC. An away team bottom, spanked 4-0 by Gillingham in league two on Saturday, winless in yonks, shipping goals for fun. Not only did we get hammered, they looked miles better, miles more confident, they had 10 men for god sake - and best of all, their keeper (sponsored by kodak) made 1 save, to a shot going 3 miles wide.

Walsall 0-10 Swindon
Walsall 0-2 Lincoln
Crawley 5-0 Walsall
Tranmere 3-0 Walsall
Walsall 0-5 Hartlepool.

A hatrick of being in the bottom 4 on christmas day coming. :D

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:52 pm

think that attendence was in top 5 of lowest league attendences at bescot bankss whatever

i wonder what lowest fa cup attendance is down walsall as well smash that next tuesday

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season