Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Lincoln City (A) F A Cup First Round Saturday 3/11/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: Lincoln City (A) F A Cup First Round Saturday 3/11/12.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:10 pm

MILO5 wrote:Does anyone think that today's performance may have increased the odds of us winning the cup?

We'll win the fudge' lot!

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:48 pm

Cully wrote:Long throw from Taundry, flicked on and headed in by Bowerman.

Brilliant substitution, who'd have thought it and we've nearly done the same again............4 mins added time

Listen and listen well he is one of our own.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:53 am

Whitters wrote:So when we're in the Conference it won't be as easy as people think....

The conference is the hardest division in football to get out of and one of the easiest to slip into

You have to spend to escape something we probably would never do.

WelshWalsallBen
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:02 am

Anyone know when replay is yet.

sounds like we were lucky

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:13 am

Spot on report Sadders.

Still have a dozen or so brain dead glass licking mongs who clapped that shambles of a display at the end.

WFC players and management should hang their head in shame after today, but they should remember that they are only temporary custodians/incumbants & in 10 years time these gutless losers won't be at the club, but the fans still will be.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:21 am

There i was enjoying a nice gin and tonic and then i read that, now i just want to jump out the window. :lol:

All sounds familiar, same old Walsall. UTS

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:29 am

King Crimson wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Is that Douglas Bader?

Are you planning on getting legless on the back of tonight's stunning result? :idea:

;-)

Not quite as 'baderer' as I thought :D , although reading some of the match reportage...... :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:48 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Is that Douglas Bader?

Are you planning on getting legless on the back of tonight's stunning result? :idea:

;-)

Not quite as 'baderer' as I thought :D , although reading some of the match reportage...... :?

Whatever your Bader expertise, I am never, ever playing 'stoolball' with you... :mrgreen:

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 am

reading the reports it sounds bad, very bad but looking at the other results this afternoon count your blessing your not

Hartlepool
Scunthorpe
Shrewsbury
Stevenage
Swindon
Torquay

Were still in the cup, still the greatest competition in the world

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:33 am

canadiansaddler wrote:reading the reports it sounds bad, very bad

Believe me it was bad, very bad.

I was there.

SadsMad

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:26 am

Asps wrote:Spot on report Sadders.

Still have a dozen or so brain dead glass licking mongs who clapped that shambles of a display at the .

They payed 15 quid a ticket, travelled two hours plus each way. If they want to clap them it's up to them. I think they let the fans down today. Payed a good 70 pound with petrol tickets and fuel for that match and wasn't happy that they didn't even seem bothered they were losing! I didn't clap, I was too furious with the shambles of a performance. The Hemings chants were too much for me tbh, I thought he was terrible but I don't think he was any worse than the other ten players who were also dire!!!

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:06 am

WFC should make the replay free of charged who those who witnessed that fraud of a performance yesterday.

Just heard dumbass on the radio blaming the sun for perforance yesterday. "We lost the toss and the sun was in the players eyes first half" :roll:

Hemmings deserved all the abuse he got and the fans forced that change. Nobody wants to heckle and boo thir own players but it had to be done.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 am

Up there with the worst.

Hemmings deserved all he got the useless Scunthorpe, the cheek some of the players had to come and clap us off at ft, straight down the tunnel that was utter sh*te.

Was still a good day though. :D

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:45 am

Darth Vader wrote:Up there with the worst.

Hemmings deserved all he got the useless Scunthorpe, the cheek some of the players had to come and clap us off at ft, straight down the tunnel that was utter sh*te.

Disagree with the bit in bold. They should HAVE to clap fans who have dug deep and spent the time. I hope Smith ordered that yesterday. If that means some of them getting a few home truths shouted or gestured their way then tough cack.

We often did the manager's job for him at Fellows ark as players had to run the gauntlet after a shocker - we could even shout into the showers if we felt particularly emotional!.At Bescot and away from home (except say at a Dagenham or Burnley where the away fans are around the tunnel), it's all too easy to slink off. The flip side is that when you've won or even lost and played well (see Sheff Utd away) you get the adoration, knowing you've earned it.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:We have a boo boy, kids.

Hemmings. Despite playing no worse than anybody else.

Woo jolly well hoo.

Yeah but he's been cack all season! That's why!

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:The Walsall crowd laugh at Lincoln rather than celebrate. Hilarious. Apart from the last hour or so.

Dont think even the Saddlers fans there would celebrate equalising against a bottom of the table Conference outfit, though this shows what our REAL level is at present...feeel sorry for Lincoln.....

I didn't cheer or clap, i just stood there! They didn't deserve fudge all out the game so i didn't give them anything either!

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:51 pm

boringteacher wrote:my, I can't wait for the replay. Hope we have a 22 penalty shoot out again.

Yeah and we'll be paying 12 quid for the privilege.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:53 pm

Cully wrote:Can we buy Jamie Taylor from Lincoln?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: made me laugh when we started singing sign him up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He's gonna cost money! Live in the real world people.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:55 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:We'll do a trade with Lincoln! Hemmings and Paterson for Jamie Taylor :D

They ain't stupid enough to have Hemmings and Paterson!

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:01 pm

Sadders wrote:Pathetic, woeful, slow, pedestrian, un-creative, lacking pace, lacking defensive ability, lacking guile, lacking height, lacking presense. Tremendously crud, awful, David Dickinson, crud, lacklustre, childish. Lincoln hammered us, we were pathetic. Back to the dark days of Hutchings, perhaps even worse at times. I dont blame Smith (who by the way kept the players on the pitch at the end hopefully to give them a roasting of their life time) he had no Taylor, no Brandy, no Cuvelier - I'd have gone with the exact same system as him, the only thing I'd have considered was leaving Bowerman on the bench and putting Baxendale back into a 4-5-1. Smith made the right changes IMO, Jones looked lively when he came on and Williams is bigger in size than any other striker in our side. The players need to take a long look at themselves, no urgency, no passion, no 1st balls, no 2nd balls, no presence, no strength - they just werent bothered. We had all the ball in the 1st half, but continued to play it at training pace across the back four, despite repeatedly have opportunities to drive 10 or 20 yards further forward, this allowed Lincoln's 2 banks of 4 to sit in comfortably awaiting our mis-placed pass.

Hemmings is the biggest disgrace to play for this club in yonks. Not one jot of anything he showed today replicates that of a league player. He was weak, slow, couldn't be bothered, didnt track back, showed no effort, no pace, didn't beat his man, didnt break up play, didn't defend, didnt attack - he just brought nothing but an arrogant 'chip on the shoulder' attitude - loan list him or tear his contract up now, we'l soon see how arrogant he is when he repeatedly checks his phone for an agent's call - only to find Hednesford Town are the only team willing to give him a trial. The 'We want Hemmings off chant', the 'Hemmings is a winner' and the huge goal like cheer when he left the pitch were 100% thoroughly deserved - if he plays in a Walsall shirt again, its a crime of managerial proportions.

Jamie Paterson, yes - The Messi of league one. The fancy flicks, the pace, the skills, the turns. Oh sorry? It was almost like I was standing in his boots then. Note to yourself Jamie, you play in league one, you need to pass the ball like a lower league player, you need to look up before you pass, you need to stop running into blind alleys, you need to stop playing with such a stroppy pathetic 'arrogant' attitude - if we release you, who exactly do you think is going to take a gamble on a young kid released by lowly Warsaw? Macclesfield? Barnet? Accrington? You'l be lucky.

As for the rest. Holden and Butler were caught too square frequently, Holden is over the hill sat on his farm. To slow, easily shrugged off the ball and totally not up to it - shame as I like the man. Butler once again couldn't keep his mouth in order and ended up giving 2 stupid fouls away because he'd wound himself up and got frustrated - note to self Andy, we as fans love you for you 'up and at them attitude' but please try not to get booked and give risky free kicks away because you can't as a captain of a football team keep your mouth shut for more than 3.2 seconds.

Adam Chambers worked hard and put a couple of spicy tackles in, but went missing like most of last season and found himself in 'crab mode' at numerous points in the first half - especially on 2 occasions where he decided to play a 10 yard pass sidewards or backwards when he had a pass forwards on. James Chambers was relatively solid, but his ball retention in the 2nd half was poor and he was not his usual composed self. Featherstone had his worse game, his ball retention was the worst of anyone and despite 'always' trying, he was thoroughly lightweight, thoroughly wasteful and the only thing he tried to do was get at my patience.

On to David Grof. Why on earth do half of our fanbase back this clown? 3 times today he nearly cost us, flapping for a corner, parrying a weak long distance effort to the feet of Jamie Taylor and not communicating with Butler almost causing a goal both in the 1st half and 2nd half. The man is a walking liability. He is very close at times to being on Jon Brain level of liability. He can't command his box, his kicking is generally hit and miss, his shot stopping is dire, he gets beaten from distance, he's a walking 'chip' candidate, he instills no confidence in the squad or the defence and he is a 'walking clanger'. Yet some people have him primed as the next candidate for Joe Hart's position at City. Talk about blinkers, he's mostly dire.

The only players that can take anything from the game are Grigg, who again tried hard, ran the channels well in the opening 20 minutes and did look like scoring for once. Bowerman works hard but doesn't really have any attributes to his game bar the actually scoring part (okay that's a good thing, but in a side like this it's really not) and Purkiss who was literally standing that far over on the right hand side at times he wasn't in the lines of play!

Sorry to sound so doomful and 'write slashy'. But today wasn't an off day like Bury was last week, this was 10 times as bad, this was lazy, un-motivated. This consisted of little attacking play, this consisted of arrogance from half of our squad and this consisted of quite frankly at times an embarassing lack of quality. This isn't a worrying sign, this is a sign that we really need to pull the trigger on some loans before we lose all momentum and memory of a very good opening start to the season.

Without Cuvelier we looked less than a conference side. We had no physical edge against a bigger Lincoln side and our football was more 'tippy tappy' and 'side to side' than a conference side. If you can't hoof it and get results, then you have to play football and get results - correct? We were frankly terrible at both today. Okay so Lincoln were up for it and had absolutely nothing to lose, but they were miles better than us, better on the ball, more penetrative, they had a classy looking little striker in Jamie Taylor, they had it over our backline all afternoon and for it - they looked far more threatening. If I was a Lincoln fan tonight, i'd be truly devastated. It says it all that I felt embarassed celebrating a Walsall FC goal.

This wasn't a bad day because we drew to a side 50 places below us, this was an embarassing day because we had a squad that thought they'd walk all over Lincoln City and they were well and truly taught a lesson. Not been this dissapointed/angry about a performance since the darkest of dark days under Hutchings. Finally, an apology to Lincoln fans - I apologise that you will have drive 80 miles to our ground on a cold Tuesday night in 2 weeks, I apologise you will have to spend your hard earned cash on playing a replay against us and finally, I apologise that you wont be sat tommorrow afternoon watching the draw in the comfy knowledge that you have a place in the 2nd round, as you justly deserved.

Positives?
- We get a 2nd crack at it.
- We can't play that badly again in any official fixture this season.
- Jake Jones looked lively.
- Hopefully Hemmings wont play in our team ever again.

Grof 1 - Useless excuse for a goalkeeper. A flying purple potato.

Purkiss 6 - Tried his best. Got forward at times, still frighteningly slow though.
Holden 4 - Given the run around by a BSP striker.
Butler 5 - Skinned too easily and gave fouls away, won his fair share of headers though. Nothing like captain fantastic.
J Chambers 6 - Solid enough at the back, frustratingly wasteful in possession.

Paterson 0 - Have fun in the reserves Jamie.
Featherstone 2 - The logic behind football is to pass the ball to one of your own players Nicky.
A Chambers 5 - Best of the midfield, tried hard but lacked the bite of recent weeks.
Hemmings 0 - Are you loan listed yet Ashley? Detestable little prat.

Bowerman 4 - Goal is a goal, but brings nothing else.
Grigg 7 - MOTM. Won a few headers, brought others in to the game and generally was a bright spark in an otherwise terrible occasion.

SUBS
Jake Jones 6 - Impressed, showed the energy and passion we lacked all afternoon.
Williams - Won 1 header, but isn't ready for pro football yet.

That is absolutely spot on! Even the ratings for the players! Best post by a mile on this thread.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:04 pm

canadiansaddler wrote:reading the reports it sounds bad, very bad but looking at the other results this afternoon count your blessing your not

Hartlepool (i bet they played better than us)
Scunthorpe
Shrewsbury
Stevenage
Swindon
Torquay

Were still in the cup, still the greatest competition in the world

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Winston Smith wrote:
canadiansaddler wrote:reading the reports it sounds bad, very bad

Believe me it was bad, very bad.

I was there.

It wasn't that good!

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Hemmings deserved all he got the useless lady-garden, the cheek some of the players had to come and clap us off at ft, straight down the tunnel that was utter sh*te.

Exactly! I told them what i thought, a few expletives off me when they came over and clapped us.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Sadders wrote:Yet some people have him primed as the next candidate for Joe Hart's position at City.

Nothing like a good exaggeration, is there?

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:15 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Sadders wrote:Yet some people have him primed as the next candidate for Joe Hart's position at City.

Nothing like a good exaggeration, is there?

Slight exaggeration yes, but how many more times is Grof going to flap at a ball when there are players around him? Bloody come and grab the bleeding thing!!!!!! Barge players out the way if you have to, you're big enough! Fall over if you have to, you're overprotected, the ref will blow for a foul then.What exactly are Kearns/Walker coaching him? To come and punch everything?

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 pm

@AshHemmz you're a quality player, we love you at Walsall #topclass #walsallfamily

Whoever tweeted this should not be allowed out in public :shock:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 pm

PT wrote:

Disagree with the bit in bold. They should HAVE to clap fans who have dug deep and spent the time. I hope Smith ordered that yesterday. If that means some of them getting a few home truths shouted or gestured their way then tough cack.

We often did the manager's job for him at Fellows ark as players had to run the gauntlet after a shocker - we could even shout into the showers if we felt particularly emotional!.At Bescot and away from home (except say at a Dagenham or Burnley where the away fans are around the tunnel), it's all too easy to slink off. The flip side is that when you've won or even lost and played well (see Sheff Utd away) you get the adoration, knowing you've earned it.

Dunno to be honest mate, I personally think they should just fudge off out our sight after such a gutless performance, don't bother coming over cause you deserve nowt other than abuse.

All raving about the atmosphere on their forum, I thought it was cack all round, few kids to our right in Sergio bikini track tops with a drum and the odd lot behind the goal, that was all, still, at least they've got a few pockets that do sing around the ground. Nice to have a bit of banter, something our ground is atrocious at, probably why it's so boring most of the time. Spot on Sincil Bank, think it is ace.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:20 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:@AshHemmz you're a quality player, we love you at Walsall #topclass #walsallfamily

His dad

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:@AshHemmz you're a quality player, we love you at Walsall #topclass #walsallfamily

Image Plymouth want him back! :shock: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HAVE HIM BACK!
Last edited by Willenhall Saddler on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:29 pm

I agree, and Plymouth fans want him back, they can jolly well have him!
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't avoid the swear filter...

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season