Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (A) League 1 Saturday 27/10/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Bury (A) League 1 Saturday 27/10/12.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:53 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Back after watching the most dire performance all season...we were woefull, made Bury look like world beaters, looked as if they could have scored on every attack, lost count of the number of corners they had in the game. They hit the post, Sodje missed a sitter of a header, and Grof made some impressive saves. No goalkeeper on this earth could have saved thier great goal.
And yes Grigg scored a goal!! though it was a poor backpass (reminiscent of Bramhall Lane) and yes, I have to admit pressure from Grigg on the goalie leading to him trickling the ball over the line.
Bury (almost bottom of the league) looked strong and threatening (probably because we were having such a stinker) throughout the match....Us? toothless, lethargic, pith poor generally, no threat on goal whatsoever, relegation candidates in the making. We NEED a striker, can the mangement not see this???
The luckiest point ever gained, Bury should have buried us (note the evil pun?) 6/7-1 would have been a more realistic scoreline..To make things even worse, it looks like Flo was very badly injured right at the end, though he got up to run it off, at the end of the match he collapsed in agony.
No standing ovation this time, our fans had filed through the gates well before the teams had left the pitch...says it all really...hope things improve, otherwise as Frazer would say "were doomed" :(

Enjoyed it then?

No...hate it that we are now soooo poor after a good start to the season.....if this is what the bottom team can inflict upon
our feeble efforts, I hate to think what is in store..........possibly starting with the Lincoln City banana skin......
:oops:

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:A couple of days ago I'd of hoped for maximum points from our trip to Gigg Lane but with Grof between the sticks I'd be delighted with a point.

Will the positive comments from those at the game change your mind about Grof, or will you continue to deny facts?

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Without a win in 6 games , Just 2 points gained from the whole of October , only 5 points clear of the drop zone

ones concerned
Last edited by Duke on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Duke wrote:Without a win in 6 games , lust 2 points gained from the whole of October , only 5 points clear of the drop zone

ones concerned

By the eck lad, you do have such a delicate way with words..I'm sure sentiments are a tad stronger from the majority that witnessed that shambles today!! :?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:04 pm

tinned wrote:
Walsall_Casual wrote:A couple of days ago I'd of hoped for maximum points from our trip to Gigg Lane but with Grof between the sticks I'd be delighted with a point.

Will the positive comments from those at the game change your mind about Grof, or will you continue to deny facts?

Grof is only proving what most fans knew already, that he is quite proficient at this level thus providing evidence that Smith completely and utterly wasted the clubs resources in bringing in Darlo to not keep any clean sheets and make glaring errors conceding soft goals during his pointless loan spell..

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:15 pm

Very disappointed with that, especially after being gifted an early goal. It seemed more reminiscent of some of our performances from last season. Thought Bury looked much better than their league position suggested and they would not have been flattered if they had won by at least a couple of goals. Still I suppose we were due some luck and we certainly needed some to come away with a point.
Goodness it was cold too!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:36 pm

"That Richard Taundry, he's put on 2 stone!"

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Glass half empty

It is disappointing to not get 3 points away to the team who are bottom of the league.

It is worrying to not get a win in 7 games.

Our form today showed confidence is draining away

Glass half full

After a third of the season gone we are 13th when we expected to be bottom.

We are above teams like Coventry and Portsmouth larger clubs who spend more (even if they cant afford to) and both Championship teams last year.

Bury have recently appointed a new manager, had won their previous game, have won 2 and drawn one of their last 5, in better form than us and were at home so a point is not too bad. Never is really away from home.

My glass is still half full -just about- need to see what November brings. A good cup run will help to bring confidence and, fingers crossed, revenue to sign some additions to the squad. If we lose in the cup definately in glass half empty territory :|

walsallfcconnor
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:08 pm

utterally woeful today but take the positives we didnt lose and its an away point maybe the fa cup will do us good get minds off the league

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:12 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:"That Richard Taundry, he's put on 2 stone!"

Yeah he is gerrin a bit chunky aye'e, however he may be even chunkier the next time we see him in our team! pity after such a good performance at Bramhall Lane. Gonna be spreadin his enlargened butt on the bench from now on.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:55 pm

tinned wrote:

What are the facts exactly?.... He made a couple of decent saves against a team destined for relegation this season?

He isn't good enough and my opinion will be proved over time.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:45 pm

I'll bet JB is sleeping better.
No need to worry about financing a club in the Championship now by the looks of it.
Hovering above the relegation spots is ideal for him.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:
tinned wrote:

What are the facts exactly?.... He made a couple of decent saves against a team destined for relegation this season?

He isn't good enough and my opinion will be proved over time.

What has their league position gotta do with it? Shots (to be saved or missed) are still shots regardless of the teams league position.

He is good enough for a team such as Walsall and it will be proved (to those who realise we'll struggle to ever fill Wacker's gloves).

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:12 pm

tinned wrote:
He is good enough for a team such as Walsall and it will be proved (to those who realise we'll struggle to ever fill Wacker's gloves).

That status will never be filled. No one will play over 500 games in goal for us, and win us so many points.

Pointless even trying to fill that void in this era of football.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Today was only my second away game of the season but I've caught every home game and I can say this was our most dire performance.
I'm normally a fan quite happy to just watch the game and join in the odd chant but even I managed to find myself loosing my temper with dean and the team. Bury had only won one game this season and it was clear to see that they were fragile at the back but we just didn't exploit it after our initial good 15 minute period.

I must say it was great to see grigg score hardly spectacular but a goal is a goal and hopefully it will build his confidence.
I don't get the Groff hate I thought he made some very good saves and came for a few more balls then usual (including one chambers decided to hoof out for a corner when groff pretty much had it in his hands)

We didn't stick to our style of play and that was our downfall in my opinion we opted for the possession game then lumping it to grigg, for most the game I felt myself bemoaning our lack of width because Patto had an off day.

I worry that we stick with Taundry and Taylors injury could mean J Chambers fills in for him so it's between Taundry and Purkiss for that position and the "he's one of our own" brigade make sure he's kept in!.

Anybody who feels a point against a team with one win near the bottom is good needs their head sorting, if we don't beat teams like that then we will certainly end up like them and I think that would be very unfair on us with the style we've played most the season.
Usually I feel quite optimistic but I just couldn't find much to be happy about today other then the great atmosphere by the fans singing a lot and joining in with porky and the others in some older chants.

I think Patterson needs to be taken out of the firing line for a game or two like bowerman did then he will be back at his best I believe and for me Taundry needs to be dropped. I cannot think of anyone else I feel merits being dropped yet.. although we may of lost Flo his injury didn't look good at the end of the game he looked in a fair bit of pain

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:47 am

We where lucky to get a point.

Taundry shocking yet again, how does he still get in the team ?

Pata is going backwards , lacking confidence. Give the lad a break before he become the new boo boys target.

Ref was whistle happy and never let the game flow.

heretosayafewwords

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:41 am

Cant comment on the game in general because I didnt go but having watched the 7 seven second highlights on the beeb I can say their goal was some of the worst defending you will ever see. 2 and 3 men around him and not one actually put in a firm challenge, absolutely awful. Blinding strike by the lad though, top top drawer.

gray
Glitterati

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:56 am

We were very lucky to come away with anything from that game. If it wasn't for some very good saves from Grof, Butler doing an acrobatic clearance off the line, the ball rolling along the line after they hit the post and Sodje missing a free header we could have conceded 3 or 4.

We just never got going at all. I thought Taundry and Adam Chambers had poor games. The game pretty much passed the whole midfield by. Patterson drifts in and out of games too much and Flo, Featherstone and Baxendale failed to control the game.

That was the worst I've seen us play this season but we got a point. I know we can and will play a lot better. UTS.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:01 am

SaddlerCraig wrote:Today was only my second away game of the season but I've caught every home game and I can say this was our most dire performance.
I'm normally a fan quite happy to just watch the game and join in the odd chant but even I managed to find myself loosing my temper with dean and the team. Bury had only won one game this season and it was clear to see that they were fragile at the back but we just didn't exploit it after our initial good 15 minute period.

I must say it was great to see grigg score hardly spectacular but a goal is a goal and hopefully it will build his confidence.
I don't get the Groff hate I thought he made some very good saves and came for a few more balls then usual (including one chambers decided to hoof out for a corner when groff pretty much had it in his hands)

We didn't stick to our style of play and that was our downfall in my opinion we opted for the possession game then lumping it to grigg, for most the game I felt myself bemoaning our lack of width because Patto had an off day.

I worry that we stick with Taundry and Taylors injury could mean J Chambers fills in for him so it's between Taundry and Purkiss for that position and the "he's one of our own" brigade make sure he's kept in!.

Anybody who feels a point against a team with one win near the bottom is good needs their head sorting, if we don't beat teams like that then we will certainly end up like them and I think that would be very unfair on us with the style we've played most the season.
Usually I feel quite optimistic but I just couldn't find much to be happy about today other then the great atmosphere by the fans singing a lot and joining in with porky and the others in some older chants.

I think Patterson needs to be taken out of the firing line for a game or two like bowerman did then he will be back at his best I believe and for me Taundry needs to be dropped. I cannot think of anyone else I feel merits being dropped yet.. although we may of lost Flo his injury didn't look good at the end of the game he looked in a fair bit of pain

Thanks for the medical advice, however, I am happy that my head is OK :wink:

I have to smile when I read the "we should be beating teams like......" because I reckon every team in this league would say the same about beating us at home.

Individual games should be judged as exactly that - one offs. What matters is the amount of points we amass over 46 games. After a good start we have hit the buffers a little, so for me, an away point anywhere is satisfactory.

Maybe the early results and improved style of play has raised expectations? In my view, staying in this league is an achievement given the lack of match day revenue coming in coupled with the half a million pound millstone around the club's neck.

As long as Smith has some money left to strengthen for the second half of the season, we will be OK.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:21 am

chestersaddler wrote:As long as Smith has some money left to strengthen for the second half of the season, we will be OK.

I wouldn't trust Smith with any money, he's already wasted money on Darlo, Brandy, Hemmings, Taundrey and who knows what ex premiership promising talent might be coming our way. He's a chancer when it comes to signings and I don't believe for one minute he ever watches them before signing but instead prefers to read their stats/bullshite.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:01 am

a point is a point ugly or not - 31 points to 50

Question

Why is it

Smith = Poor Decision's

O'Kelly = Good Decision's

- just a hunch could it be our management duo actually work as a team , it strikes me that Smith has work by consensus since day one when Nicholl was brought in as the unofficial consultant.

lichsaddler

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:43 am

Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:As long as Smith has some money left to strengthen for the second half of the season, we will be OK.

I wouldn't trust Smith with any money, he's already wasted money on Darlo, Brandy, Hemmings, Taundrey and who knows what ex premiership promising talent might be coming our way. He's a chancer when it comes to signings and I don't believe for one minute he ever watches them before signing but instead prefers to read their stats/bullshite.

Completely disagree. Admittedly, he has made some poor signings but if you can find a manager who has never made a bad signing, i'll be amazed. Yes, he is a chancer, but with our budget, you have to gamble on signings - if a player was proven at this level, he certainly would be out of our wage structure. In fairness to Smith, his signings of ledesma and cuvelier have been two of the best signings this club has made over the past decade, and I know for a fact he went to watch brighton reserves to scout ledesma.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:53 am

loffing at the Grof baiter on here. Hes no worse than Darlow and better than an overweight Walker. Give him the NO1 jersey for keeps.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:10 am

Cully wrote:

Of course you wouldn't. You wanted him out last season and still do.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:11 am

I may have mentioned this before, but why sign someone for the sake of it? It's not an excuse for signing utter rubbish players, consistently for over 2 years with a very few exceptions.

I may have mentioned this also, but it's a good job we have a good youth system.

Im bored of repeating this little point too, Smith has ample resources as far as Im concerned. If you delete at least 5 bad signings per season, loan or permanent, then you could easily replace with 3 good signings in the correct position and of the correct standard to make us a better team. This alleged lack of resources is all coming to a head once again and is pointing to the usual suspects crying their eye's out about the owner. IF we need any players in particular positions then it's another MOSSIVE failure of Smith to recognise this.

Smith looks like he's playing Football Manager on the computer, 2 blokes in this position, cover in that position (regardless of quality).

And still the blind loyalty to this dim bloke continues.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 pm

saddlerken wrote:I may have mentioned this before, but why sign someone for the sake of it? It's not an excuse for signing utter rubbish players, consistently for over 2 years with a very few exceptions.

I may have mentioned this also, but it's a good job we have a good youth system.

Im bored of repeating this little point too, Smith has ample resources as far as Im concerned. If you delete at least 5 bad signings per season, loan or permanent, then you could easily replace with 3 good signings in the correct position and of the correct standard to make us a better team. This alleged lack of resources is all coming to a head once again and is pointing to the usual suspects crying their eye's out about the owner. IF we need any players in particular positions then it's another MOSSIVE failure of Smith to recognise this.

Smith looks like he's playing Football Manager on the computer, 2 blokes in this position, cover in that position (regardless of quality).

And still the blind loyalty to this dim bloke continues.

Easy ay it.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:37 pm

windowman wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:Is that a point gained or 2 points lost. If we cannot beat teams like Bury then unless tactics change (is that possible with squad as it is?) or new players whether on loan or not then we will be in the bottom 4 and in our usual fight to stay in this division. 2 draws in the last 7 matches is not the stuff of staying up.

On what logical basis do you assert that we should be beating teams like Bury away?

cuz dem cheite,ay it.11 games in lge 1 and no home wins :shock:

They won at home on Tuesday against Hartlepool.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:44 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:grof and Butler saved us from being embarrassed

I must have been watching a different game because i thought Butler was poor for his standards.Apart from the goal-line clearance he made he was lucky not to be booked after barging one of their players off the pitch when he was going nowhere, gave away a stupid free kick right on the edge of the box which could have cost us the game if Bury had scored from it.Flo for me was MOM and he was average closely followed by James Chambers, the only player who actually made a purposeful run with the ball and he's not a winger (take note Paterson and Hemmings)

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:51 pm

The barmaids in the Swan and Cemmy were fit.

That is all, get a life. xx

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:56 pm

heretosayafewwords wrote:Cant comment on the game in general because I didnt go but having watched the 7 seven second highlights on the beeb I can say their goal was some of the worst defending you will ever see. 2 and 3 men around him and not one actually put in a firm challenge, absolutely awful. Blinding strike by the lad though, top top drawer.

It was awful defending because their player actually ran with the ball at his feet which Walsall players don't do.If a player runs with the ball, opposition players will back off or give a foul away.So we have players with pace (Hemmings, Paterson and Brandy) and they don't use it.Total waste

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season