Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (A) League 1 Saturday 27/10/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Re: Bury (A) League 1 Saturday 27/10/12.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Cus thay'm tat.

Tracker34
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:09 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:Is that a point gained or 2 points lost. If we cannot beat teams like Bury then unless tactics change (is that possible with squad as it is?) or new players whether on loan or not then we will be in the bottom 4 and in our usual fight to stay in this division. 2 draws in the last 7 matches is not the stuff of staying up.

On what logical basis do you assert that we should be beating teams like Bury away?

They've won one game all season and sit in the penultimate position in the league?

Personally I'd say a draw away from home isn't too bad a result, especially after a battling performance in the week with 10 men and a small squad some of who are already starting to look tired - especially as games get into the latter stages. No mid-week games this week so give them a couple of days off and come out all guns blazing in the cup!

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:10 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:Is that a point gained or 2 points lost. If we cannot beat teams like Bury then unless tactics change (is that possible with squad as it is?) or new players whether on loan or not then we will be in the bottom 4 and in our usual fight to stay in this division. 2 draws in the last 7 matches is not the stuff of staying up.

On what logical basis do you assert that we should be beating teams like Bury away?

cuz dem cheite,ay it.11 games in lge 1 and no home wins :shock:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:11 pm

WarsawPact wrote:Cus thay'm tat.

Good enough to get draws at Stevenage and Sheffield United though.

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:17 pm

We were dire. I will Give the lads the benefit of the doubt and put it down to tiredness after Tuesday

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:18 pm

The stats suggest we got away with that one. Great to get a point. If I was a Bury fan I would have selected home to Walsall as a game to win. As we would want at least a point away. All good.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Decent point. Bold move to go 4-4-2 when he brought Bowerman on. Does this count as a Plan B? Interested to hear whether it had any effect on the game.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:28 pm

bangsection wrote:Decent point. Bold move to go 4-4-2 when he brought Bowerman on. Does this count as a Plan B? Interested to hear whether it had any effect on the game.

No. It is now cemented as FACT until we bring in a large gorilla to play up front, such as Jarvis or Price :wink:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Tracker34 wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

They've won one game all season and sit in the penultimate position in the league?

Personally I'd say a draw away from home isn't too bad a result, especially after a battling performance in the week with 10 men and a small squad some of who are already starting to look tired - especially as games get into the latter stages. No mid-week games this week so give them a couple of days off and come out all guns blazing in the cup!

So by that logic they will lose to everyone above them, both home and away and will be relegated in February. Didn't they finish above us last season?

Tracker34
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:47 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Tracker34 wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

So by that logic they will lose to everyone above them, both home and away and will be relegated in February. Didn't they finish above us last season?

Hence why given the conditions I said I'm reasonably content with a point.

I think it's widely stated that we seem to be a different team to last season and I'm sure with the overhaul in players and management that they have undertaken they will be too, so talk of last season is a bit odd. If we are going to be winning games away from home where do we look at? I know we seem to lift our games against the bigger teams but personally I'd start at the bottom and work up.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:53 pm

I was going to start by saying I look forward to hearing reports from the game but I'm not. Looking at the BBC statistics, reading the twitter feed and with some knowledge of how we play under Smith [ie watching 10 games this season], our playing squad, Bury's position in the league and their results this season together with our recent run of results and the team we played today which included a player we released last season because even Smith thought he was crap and some of Smiths signings it is with some relief that we managed a draw.

Excellent result and very promising, perhaps we can build on our recent form of L L L L D L D :arrow: Periods

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Sounds like this was probably our worst performance of the season. so I guess a point away is probably satisfactory in the circumstances, but it's certainly 2 short of what I'd hoped for from this fixture, given the relative form and positions of the two teams, and especially Bury's dreadful home record.

It seems that we are getting worse rather than better, although midweek at SheffU was a tough tiring game, especially with 10 men, so maybe that's a reason rather than an excuse. I certainly hope so, anyway.

We really need to put an unexpectedly disastrous October well and truly behind us, and begin to up our game and start to accumulate points again, to avoid getting sucked into a battle around the bottom four, which we are only 5 points away from after today's latest disappointment.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:43 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:a point away is probably satisfactory in the circumstances, but it's certainly 2 short of what I'd hoped for from this fixture, given the relative form and positions of the two teams, and especially Bury's dreadful home record.

It's relative form that makes me quite satisfied with a point to be honest, Geoff. They went in today's game having just got their first win, whereas we were coming off the back of a winless five games - the most recent of which saw us play for 80 minutes with 10 men.

I'm genuinely surprised by the doom and gloom on here following today's result.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:46 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:a point away is probably satisfactory in the circumstances, but it's certainly 2 short of what I'd hoped for from this fixture, given the relative form and positions of the two teams, and especially Bury's dreadful home record.

It's relative form that makes me quite satisfied with a point to be honest, Geoff. They went in today's game having just got their first win, whereas we were coming off the back of a winless five games - the most recent of which saw us play for 80 minutes with 10 men.

You're surprised by doom and gloom on here?

:D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:03 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

No doom and gloom here, happy with the point :) .

Worsul
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Although I'm happy with a point, it was easily our worst performance of the season against one of the worst teams in the division.

Bury had a certain goal cleared off the line and another shot hit the inside of the post and trickled near the goal line. We never looked scoring either.

For that reason I'm in the doom and gloom brigade tonight.

Contrast with the Leyton orient game where although we lost we looked a constant threat.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:32 pm

As they will be down there with us probably ,at the business end of the season a point away isnt too bad, but i would have looked at this game for an away win.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:32 pm

318 Saddlers at Gigg Lane today.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Back after watching the most dire performance all season...we were woefull, made Bury look like world beaters, looked as if they could have scored on every attack, lost count of the number of corners they had in the game. They hit the post, Sodje missed a sitter of a header, and Grof made some impressive saves. No goalkeeper on this earth could have saved thier great goal.
And yes Grigg scored a goal!! though it was a poor backpass (reminiscent of Bramhall Lane) and yes, I have to admit pressure from Grigg on the goalie leading to him trickling the ball over the line.
Bury (almost bottom of the league) looked strong and threatening (probably because we were having such a stinker) throughout the match....Us? toothless, lethargic, pith poor generally, no threat on goal whatsoever, relegation candidates in the making. We NEED a striker, can the mangement not see this???
The luckiest point ever gained, Bury should have buried us (note the evil pun?) 6/7-1 would have been a more realistic scoreline..To make things even worse, it looks like Flo was very badly injured right at the end, though he got up to run it off, at the end of the match he collapsed in agony.
No standing ovation this time, our fans had filed through the gates well before the teams had left the pitch...says it all really...hope things improve, otherwise as Frazer would say "were doomed" :(

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Back after watching the most dire performance all season...we were woefull, made Bury look like world beaters, looked as if they could have scored on every attack, lost count of the number of corners they had in the game. They hit the post, Sodje missed a sitter of a header, and Grof made some impressive saves. No goalkeeper on this earth could have saved thier great goal.
And yes Grigg scored a goal!! though it was a poor backpass (reminiscent of Bramhall Lane) and yes, I have to admit pressure from Grigg on the goalie leading to him trickling the ball over the line.
Bury (almost bottom of the league) looked strong and threatening (probably because we were having such a stinker) throughout the match....Us? toothless, lethargic, pith poor generally, no threat on goal whatsoever, relegation candidates in the making. We NEED a striker, can the mangement not see this???
The luckiest point ever gained, Bury should have buried us (note the evil pun?) 6/7-1 would have been a more realistic scoreline..To make things even worse, it looks like Flo was very badly injured right at the end, though he got up to run it off, at the end of the match he collapsed in agony.
No standing ovation this time, our fans had filed through the gates well before the teams had left the pitch...says it all really...hope things improve, otherwise as Frazer would say "were doomed" :(

Enjoyed it then?

PT
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:02 pm

It was indeed the worst I've seen us this season. We didn't have the kind of assurance on the ball we've had earlier in the campaign. Poor results, despite promising performances will diminish confidence at some point and today seemed to be that point as we constantly gave possession away and failed to create any meaningful threat.

When you lose that confidence on the ball, the long ball becomes the option but when you've just one up top it tends to come back pretty quickly.

I don't know if Smith uses any Opta type stuff but Jamie Paterson must give the ball away more than any player in the league.

Flo looks 90% to me. Still good enough to walk into our team but not quite the detsroyer we know he can be.

For the second week running, Taundry looked like a baby giraffe as another third division winger teased him before taking two points from us.

Not that we desereved to win, but having been gifted a lead, hopes were high.

On the plus side, Butler was immense and probably shared MOTM with Grof who made some superb saves. Smith got the subs right, which is nice, though Taylor going off with a hammy does once again cast an inquisitive eye at the physio as it is the latest in a string on such injuries, which together with recent 60 minute walls we've been hitting does suggest something in our preparation isn't quite right. James Chambers looked pretty assured though and if he can replicate that form at right-back I'd happily slot him in as he seems an athlectic lad who will get forward. Downing was pretty solid too. The fact that the positives were all defensive kind of tells you all you need to know about the kind of afternoon it was.

A poorish perfromance then but a decent result which feels better than a great performance and gash result. Also a decent and noisy turnout.

lichsaddler

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Poor performance today, would only credit Butler, Downing and Grof with decent games. Taundry was woefully exposed by their pacey left winger and was at fault on quite a few occasions - including the goal. Wouldn't be surprised to see chambers start at rb for the next game providing andy taylor isn't out for too long. Paterson was again poor - don't understand how many bad performances it's gonna take from him until he gets dropped but I suppose that is partly due to our lack of depth. Hardly remember baxendale touching the ball all game but again not entirely his own fault - we resorted to long ball a lot today. Definitely lucky to come away with a point, with Grof pulling off some great saves, them hitting the post and Butler with a flying header to clear off the line.

Let's hope today was a one-off rather than a sign of things to come.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:17 pm

"He's one of our own, He's cost us two goals...." Get rid, not good enough Laundry. Get Purkiss back in straight away.

Also although I like that Chambers chap as a footballer it seems that to accomodate him in the middle Flo tends to go wide,thus being less effective and now seems we have lost all the freshness and pace that was winning us matches from the midfield earlier in the season.

Unfortunatly too many times today we reverted to hoofing and it reminded me of last season. Not good enough........

lichsaddler

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Also if anyone hasn't heard/seen - alex nicholls got a horrific injury today, potential career threatner by the looks of the picture! Although he was cack for us, he was starting to do well in league 2 - hope it's not as bad as it looks.

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/46241_10151065068036886_1967989645_n.jpg

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:32 pm

poor poor performance, we were tat from start to finish. would be gutted if i was a Bury fan,

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:33 pm

grof and Butler saved us from being embarrassed

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:43 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Why are you surprised that fans react in a positive and expressive way about the team after today's performance? Do you think it has anything to do with the last 7 results, the players performances, Smiths management skills because, if you went today and to the games in the last month, I would be surprised that anybody could possibly be delighted and proud of our performance today. It was obviously utter garbage exacerbated by Smiths continued selection of players who are not performing [and I'm being kind]

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:46 pm

PT wrote:
I don't know if Smith uses any Opta type stuff but Jamie Paterson must give the ball away more than any player in the league.

We do indeed employ an analyst.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:46 pm

McBentos wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:I'm genuinely surprised by the doom and gloom on here following today's result.

You're surprised by doom and gloom on here?

:D

Wrong time of the month guys?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:48 pm

latviancheese wrote:
PT wrote:

We do indeed employ an analyst.

Does he have any evidence of the existence of Smiths brain?

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season