Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (A) League 1 Saturday 27/10/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
bangsection
Site Addict

Re: Bury (A) League 1 Saturday 27/10/12.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:59 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Easy ay it.

Ken IN.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:If a player runs with the ball, opposition players will back off or give a foul away.So we have players with pace (Hemmings, Paterson and Brandy) and they don't use it.Total waste

I assume that it is a direct result of the coaching of Smith and O'Kelly that no Walsall player is allowed to run with the ball.

We can have players who lose the ball time and again through poor passing or poor control and that is forgiven, but if ever someone tries to beat a man with the ball and it does not work then they are always to blame, and told not to do that again.

No wonder Hemmings, Brandy, Paterson and Baxendale have all become much less effective as the season has continued.

chesterperry

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:46 pm

tinned wrote:
Walsall_Casual wrote:A couple of days ago I'd of hoped for maximum points from our trip to Gigg Lane but with Grof between the sticks I'd be delighted with a point.

Will the positive comments from those at the game change your mind about Grof, or will you continue to deny facts?

He's cac. Fact. Oh and I was at the game.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:18 pm

chesterperry wrote:
tinned wrote:
Walsall_Casual wrote:A couple of days ago I'd of hoped for maximum points from our trip to Gigg Lane but with Grof between the sticks I'd be delighted with a point.

Will the positive comments from those at the game change your mind about Grof, or will you continue to deny facts?

He's cac. Fact. Oh and I was at the game.

:roll:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Perhaps yesterday's combination of poor performance but a point on the board was actually what we needed in a funny sort of way. We battered Orient and lost, then battered Shrewsbury and lost. Regardless of quality of football, we're playing for league points and yesterday showed we're capable of grinding out a point when we're really not at the races.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Nothing wrong with Grof yesterday I thought, nothing I noticed anyway. The team overall were just cack, and never got going. Lucky to get a point, so I'm happy with 1-1, roll on the next league game now, to the ones who haven't committed suicide by then.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:I must have been watching a different game because i thought Butler was poor for his standards.Apart from the goal-line clearance he made he was lucky not to be booked after barging one of their players off the pitch when he was going nowhere, gave away a stupid free kick right on the edge of the box which could have cost us the game if Bury had scored from it.

Have to say I agree. Seems to do one or two full blooded tackles or challenges and he is everyone's hero and we instantly get the 'du du du Andy Butlers...'

Yes, he does show total, 100% commitment in a game, which is fantastic, and the goal line clearance was ace (typical of the man), but the foul on the edge of the box near the end was simply embarrassing, he was so done that all he could do was fall into the man. As for his use of the ball yesterday, it was laughable, hardly found a player of ours when he tried to pass it anything but sideways. Now I know he isn't in the team to be a great passer or playmaker, and featherstone / chambers weren't their usual selves to come and get the ball off him, but when he did have the chance to make a pass, it more often than not muffed it up.

On another note, first time I have seen downing play yesterday, and he did alright overall I thought.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:grof and Butler saved us from being embarrassed

I must have been watching a different game because i thought Butler was poor for his standards.Apart from the goal-line clearance he made he was lucky not to be booked after barging one of their players off the pitch when he was going nowhere, gave away a stupid free kick right on the edge of the box which could have cost us the game if Bury had scored from it.Flo for me was MOM and he was average closely followed by James Chambers, the only player who actually made a purposeful run with the ball and he's not a winger (take note Paterson and Hemmings)

Butler may have been poor, but belg's statement is still true.

Flo was average, which was as good as anyone else managed.

If Bury had won by 4 or 5, it wouldn't have been an injustice.

Still had a nice weekend in Manchester, would happily recommend the Manchester Airport Marriott, which has a cracking breakfast and swimming pool and cost nowt on Tesco clubcard vouchers, although the Boddingtons which was the only ale they had was tasteless. :mrgreen:

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:10 pm

KoloSaddler wrote:We where lucky to get a point.

Taundry shocking yet again, how does he still get in the team ?

Pata is going backwards , lacking confidence. Give the lad a break before he become the new boo boys target.

Ref was whistle happy and never let the game flow.

Thought the ref was good; let loads of crunching tackles go and was happy to play advantage where possible. Made it more of a man's game instead of primadonnaship big girl's blouse cack

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:32 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:As long as Smith has some money left to strengthen for the second half of the season, we will be OK.

I wouldn't trust Smith with any money, he's already wasted money on Darlo, Brandy, Hemmings, Taundrey and who knows what ex premiership promising talent might be coming our way. He's a chancer when it comes to signings and I don't believe for one minute he ever watches them before signing but instead prefers to read their stats/bullshite.

Of course you wouldn't. You wanted him out last season and still do.

My view, judgement and position on Smith is based on his teams performances, both this season, and the last two albeit he only had a few months after Hutchings was sacked two seasons ago. Saddler Ken has already identified his greatest strength, that of engendering a good team spirit. It was more than likely that it was this 'togetherness' that enabled us to stay up after Hutchings left and for that he must be praised. Last season, his first when he had to assemble his own team what exactly did we end up with and what progress was made? Well the tactics and general play could best be described as predictable, direct and uninspiring, His lucky break was to link up with Richard O'Kelly and finally sign a couple of decent players [a result of his chancing in the player loan market] Flo Culvelier and Ledesma to join us and thus rescue our season once again at the end. This season has been remarkable for the change in the way we have been playing, playing a slick passing possession game which initially caught teams by surprise, captured and delighted fans and promised us some relief from the struggles of the past few years. It is no surprise that the players that have made the difference are players that have a past connection with Richard O'Kelly, Nick Featherstone alone has been a brilliant signing, I can't imagine for one moment that he was on Smiths radar. What about the way we have been trying to play, again it is no coincidence that Richard O'Kelly has undoubtedly influenced the way we are trying to play.

For those who ask who is the manager and who is responsible ultimately for results, who decides on the substitutions, the team selection and the tactics? well it must be Smith then because he is the manager in name and until he is replaced I am happy to apportion all credit, praise and blame to him. So well done Dean for saving us from relegation for the last two years, well done for signing every new player, well done for the new style of play, team selections, past and present tactics, substitutions and finally well done for the last few games :arrow: PERIOD

Oh and well done for everyone that has burst into tears this season because someone has the temerity to actually question the Ginger Mourinho 'he's still learning' status as Walsall's saviour.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 pm

So by hiring O'Kelly, Smith chanced upon him?

Also the lucky signings of Cuvelier and Ledesma weren't players that he scouted?

Smith is ok at best an some of his decisions make me reach for the bleach. However, he certainly doesn't deserve calls for the sack yet.

Bit of perspective would be good, that's all. Instead of all your tampon filling.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:47 pm

saddlerken wrote:I may have mentioned this before, but why sign someone for the sake of it? It's not an excuse for signing utter rubbish players, consistently for over 2 years with a very few exceptions.

I may have mentioned this also, but it's a good job we have a good youth system.

Im bored of repeating this little point too, Smith has ample resources as far as Im concerned. If you delete at least 5 bad signings per season, loan or permanent, then you could easily replace with 3 good signings in the correct position and of the correct standard to make us a better team. This alleged lack of resources is all coming to a head once again and is pointing to the usual suspects crying their eye's out about the owner. IF we need any players in particular positions then it's another MOSSIVE failure of Smith to recognise this.

Smith looks like he's playing Football Manager on the computer, 2 blokes in this position, cover in that position (regardless of quality).

And still the blind loyalty to this dim bloke continues.

No blind loyalty - he ain't great and has faults, but he has moved us forward. Not quick enough for some but progress is progress and most will be content if he keeps us moving in the right direction - a lower mid-table finish will see that.

By the way, been looking for what you say on the match threads after a win this season but I'm fudge if I can find anything. Can't see anything (but may have missed it all) between the lambast following a great game at home with Brentford where we lost a two goal lead and the Smith 1 : 2 Slade almost jubilant post following Orient.

You go to the games so I will always have time for you, therefore you are absolutely entitled to your critique of the manager. But it seems almost personal when you don't even pay a grudging nod after great results and performances (e.g MK Dons, PNE) and yet are so hot on the trigger when we have the more disappointing results. Your position is clear and your roadmap to successful management above is a blueprint I'm sure Dean will take on board, but a bit of balance please. You can have the satisfaction of knowing you'll be proved right at some point as any Walsall manager will ultimately be sacked nine times out of ten.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:So by hiring O'Kelly, Smith chanced upon him?

Also the lucky signings of Cuvelier and Ledesma weren't players that he scouted?

Smith is ok at best an some of his decisions make me reach for the bleach. However, he certainly doesn't deserve calls for the sack yet.

Bit of perspective would be good, that's all. Instead of all your tampon filling.

Now dry your eyes.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:00 pm

I can't see where you'd be able to think I was upset out of that post.

I'll just take it as the obvious avoidance of points made in my post. Cheers.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I can't see where you'd be able to think I was upset out of that post.

I'll just take it as the obvious avoidance of points made in my post. Cheers.

Apologies McBentos but there was nothing in your post that contradicted my perspective, I assumed you hadn't read it properly and applied your own perspective.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Other way round, surely?! :lol:

Good following as well yesterday, not particularly in numbers but decent backing throughout. Proper ground Gigg Lane. If only the home support were located in a stand as acoustically sound...

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:09 pm

I'll welcome you to address the points.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Worst performance of the season say Smith in today's paper but we can take positives from the game .

Exactly what I'm not sure .

aaaae
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Duke wrote:Worst performance of the season say Smith in today's paper but we can take positives from the game .

Errm it was sunny!
Last edited by aaaae on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Sunny?

I freezed my bollocks off!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:27 am

Duke wrote:Worst performance of the season say Smith in today's paper but we can take positives from the game .

A point while being generally crap is a positive, i suppose.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:21 am

Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:As long as Smith has some money left to strengthen for the second half of the season, we will be OK.

I wouldn't trust Smith with any money, he's already wasted money on Darlo, Brandy, Hemmings, Taundrey and who knows what ex premiership promising talent might be coming our way. He's a chancer when it comes to signings and I don't believe for one minute he ever watches them before signing but instead prefers to read their stats/bullshite.

Of course you wouldn't. You wanted him out last season and still do.

My view, judgement and position on Smith is based on his teams performances, both this season, and the last two albeit he only had a few months after Hutchings was sacked two seasons ago. Saddler Ken has already identified his greatest strength, that of engendering a good team spirit. It was more than likely that it was this 'togetherness' that enabled us to stay up after Hutchings left and for that he must be praised. Last season, his first when he had to assemble his own team what exactly did we end up with and what progress was made? Well the tactics and general play could best be described as predictable, direct and uninspiring, His lucky break was to link up with Richard O'Kelly and finally sign a couple of decent players [a result of his chancing in the player loan market] Flo Culvelier and Ledesma to join us and thus rescue our season once again at the end. This season has been remarkable for the change in the way we have been playing, playing a slick passing possession game which initially caught teams by surprise, captured and delighted fans and promised us some relief from the struggles of the past few years. It is no surprise that the players that have made the difference are players that have a past connection with Richard O'Kelly, Nick Featherstone alone has been a brilliant signing, I can't imagine for one moment that he was on Smiths radar. What about the way we have been trying to play, again it is no coincidence that Richard O'Kelly has undoubtedly influenced the way we are trying to play.

For those who ask who is the manager and who is responsible ultimately for results, who decides on the substitutions, the team selection and the tactics? well it must be Smith then because he is the manager in name and until he is replaced I am happy to apportion all credit, praise and blame to him. So well done Dean for saving us from relegation for the last two years, well done for signing every new player, well done for the new style of play, team selections, past and present tactics, substitutions and finally well done for the last few games :arrow: PERIOD

Oh and well done for everyone that has burst into tears this season because someone has the temerity to actually question the Ginger Mourinho 'he's still learning' status as Walsall's saviour.

Cully...I respect your's and Ken's views on this, but disagree. My perspective is that we are a small club trying to survive on poor attendances and a half million pound rental bill to pay. I have no great expectations based on that, but recognise that any manager at Walsall is going to find it tough to compete.

It is obvious that O'Kelly has made a difference to our style of play, but that is the way Smith wants to play, and why he appointed him, I reckon.

No crying from me, just acknowledging where we are.

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:26 am

JonnyOwen wrote:Sunny?

I freezed my bollocks off!

It was definitely sunny!

But also bloody cold!

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:32 am

Another one for you -

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:37 am

PeruSaddler wrote:Thought the ref was good; let loads of crunching tackles go and was happy to play advantage where possible. Made it more of a man's game instead of primadonnaship big girl's blouse cack

He (+ his assistants) will be in the Prem this weekend after the disasters that pass for refs and assistants for the 2 biggest Prem games get dropped for stupidity, arrogance, incompetence and short-sightedness (and manc-ness in some instances).

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:50 am

Just thought of another one - our noisy support. Livened up the game no end.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:19 am

It could be worse! Think of poor Ipswich managed by Chris Hutchings.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:48 am

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:13 pm

tinned wrote:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Previous
Return to 2012-13 Season