Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (A) League 1 Tuesday 23/10/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Sheffield United (A) League 1 Tuesday 23/10/12.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 pm

Tracker34 wrote:In relation to Holden - anyone know how long the suspension will be? Is it just a game? Also, does it start Saturday as I seem to remember there being something about a weeks grace period to allow for an appeal (I may be making that up) ...

Was Holden sent off for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity? If so, it will be a one-match suspension. I think that there is a delay of at least a week before the suspension kicks in, to allow for an appeal.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:40 pm

ihatethecorps wrote:Smith's amazing Plan B again.........Butler upfront :roll:

I'm shocked, Butler up front :shock:

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Peroblem is he does not appear to learn, its the same week in week out and other teams now now this and counter his moves cos they now what he is going to do. :(

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Cully wrote:

Well what exactly do you expect him to do?

Throw on the big, powerful centre forward on to batter them that we don't have? :?

0-1 to Sheff Utd with 10 men (by the way they have around 20,000 fans there tonight) is perfectly acceptable....

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:48 pm

The only way is down now as Smith appears to have run out of ideas and although they are playing good football the results speak for themselves, this is a results business and without a shakeup we are all doomed.

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:49 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Cully wrote:

Throw on the big, powerful centre forward on to batter them that we don't have? :?

0-1 to Sheff Utd with 10 men (by the way they have around 20,000 fans there tonight) is perfectly acceptable....

However losing 5 in 6 including droppin points in injury time twice at home is not so acceptable.

Tracker34
UTS Regular

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Tracker34 wrote:In relation to Holden - anyone know how long the suspension will be? Is it just a game? Also, does it start Saturday as I seem to remember there being something about a weeks grace period to allow for an appeal (I may be making that up) ...

Was Holden sent off for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity? If so, it will be a one-match suspension. I think that there is a delay of at least a week before the suspension kicks in, to allow for an appeal.

Cheers Ped! I believe it was classed as a professional foul on Sky Sports but it was a long time ago now! Hopefully someone there could fill in the blanks. Looks like it's Lincoln out for Holden then - could be worse!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Casual D wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Cully wrote:

However losing 5 in 6 including droppin points in injury time twice at home is not so acceptable.

I'm sorry its not down to the manager...

We are doing about as well as anyone outside our sometimes dullard fans - thinking we are Real Madrid - would expect.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Cully wrote:

Answer'd your own question, everyone knows what we need but DS keeps pee'ing about signing a goalkeeper we really do not need

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:54 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:The only way is down now as Smith appears to have run out of ideas and although they are playing good football the results speak for themselves, this is a results business and without a shakeup we are all doomed.

A 1-0 defeat away to the biggest club in the division, who are unbeaten so far this season, when down to ten men after only 15 minutes is not the moment to press the panic button.

A loss at Bury on the other hand...

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:03 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:The only way is down now as Smith appears to have run out of ideas and although they are playing good football the results speak for themselves, this is a results business and without a shakeup we are all doomed.

A 1-0 defeat away to the biggest club in the division, who are unbeaten so far this season, when down to ten men after only 15 minutes is not the moment to press the panic button.

A loss at Bury on the other hand...

This would justly deserve criticism.....

We need a Brett Angel (never thought I would say that) - but is the budget / funds there - no.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Hysterical Schoolgirl is hysterical -

and a schoolgirl.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Danny Wilson being quite complementary about us on Sheffield Radio.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:11 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:We need a Brett Angel (never thought I would say that) - but is the budget / funds there - no.

Let's hope we don't waste our budget on goalkeepers that are no better than we already have then. Oh ......

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Lots to be proud of tonight. Massive effort by every single player - Darlow had nowt but regulation saves to make all game and, as I said at half time, if their keeper had correctly been sent off it would have been a different game.

Those leaking period blood (copyright FBIG) should know that the ten men got a standing ovation at the end. We may lack depth and quality in a few crucial areas but we do not lack spirit or commitment. Not to damn us with faint praise - we played some cracking football tonight too. With ten men. Against a side who can afford to employ Dave Kitson. Who was absolutely cack, by the way.

Full report when I get back. But, as others have said, not a night to bury this team but to praise it.

windowman
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:29 pm

bangsection wrote:Lots to be proud of tonight. Massive effort by every single player - Darlow had nowt but regulation saves to make all game and, as I said at half time, if their keeper had correctly been sent off it would have been a different game.

Those leaking period blood (copyright FBIG) should know that the ten men got a standing ovation at the end. We may lack depth and quality in a few crucial areas but we do not lack spirit or commitment. Not to damn us with faint praise - we played some cracking football tonight too. With ten men. Against a side who can afford to employ Dave Kitson. Who was absolutely guano, by the way.

Full report when I get back. But, as others have said, not a night to bury this team but to praise it.

look forward to it,sounds like they gave 100%

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Well we played most of the game with 10 men and only lost by a single goal which was the penalty. Could we have won with 11 men - maybe. We have just had a bad run but the players will learn and we are only a good run away from the top 4 the way the games are panning out.

All is not lost guys!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:41 pm

bangsection wrote:Lots to be proud of tonight. Massive effort by every single player - Darlow had nowt but regulation saves to make all game and, as I said at half time, if their keeper had correctly been sent off it would have been a different game.

Those leaking period blood (copyright FBIG) should know that the ten men got a standing ovation at the end. We may lack depth and quality in a few crucial areas but we do not lack spirit or commitment. Not to damn us with faint praise - we played some cracking football tonight too. With ten men. Against a side who can afford to employ Dave Kitson. Who was absolutely cack, by the way.

Excellent. How did Taundry do ? :lol:

UTS.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Whether we played well or not, we've taken one point from a possible fifteen. Sometimes you just need to freshen things up or make the odd tweak to change fortunes.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Well that's really comforting, LLLLDL :arrow: Period

Chris
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Sod the recent results. Bad runs happen. We need squad depth!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:03 pm

If this squad had depth, maybe one big forward, we would have beaten them 10-1.

Bonser OUT.

Smith OUT.

Whalley OUT.

Brain cells OUT.

:arrow: cretins

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 pm

The football was dire, Sheffield United were dreadful considering we had 10 men, Darlow had nothing to do. Disappointed in Holden, if he didn't get sent off I am sure we could of destroyed UTD even if they scored from the chance at which he fouled them. Downing played well anyway, so I am not worried too much. Felt sorry for Baxendale too, a great player and yet he is sacrificed whilst Paterson had a terrible game and was kept on for god knows how long.

Darlow: Had nothing to do, made 1 or 2 good saves when he was tested, which was rarely.

Taundry: Good at whipping balls into the box, but Purkiss is better at that. Defensively he is mediocre, he got caught day dreaming a couple of times and blamed it all on the linesmen to cover his tracks. He is a little faster than Purkiss however but having James Chambers there would tighten up our back four a lot.
Holden: Sent off, very poor decision from a very experienced player which is very surprising. Cost us the game in my opinion, but he is still big and number 5 to us.
Butler: Same old Butler, brilliant player.
Taylor: Great left back, made one or two brilliant tackles and is also very good when going forwards too.

Baxendale: Looked lively in the start of the game, a few great runs and passing play then unfortunately got the cut and was brought off for Downing.
Chambers: Brilliant, makes lots of important tackles and passes the ball well. Refs seem to give him quite a few fouls for perfectly fine sliding tackles which can get frustrating, but he has been consistently good this season.
Featherstone: Same old Nicky, never wastes a pass, composes on the ball and can get a great tackle in.
Cuvelier: Every time we broke we gave him the ball first, always plays amazing passes, always makes brilliant inside runs and then distributes well. He is a credit to watch at times, and today he played excellent, even if he did get moved to a more RM position to cover Baxendale's absence.
Paterson: Woeful, as much as I rate him on certain games; today he was dreadful, gave the ball away, passed backwards at every opportunity, made very poor decisions like usual. He is great some games, and a waste of space the next, wish he would make his mind up as he could be brilliant.

Grigg: Chased ghosts, had a great chance in the first half which I give hats off to the Sheffield United goalkeeper who made a world class save to deny it; he put in a very good effort, he just doesn't seem like scoring when we play 4-5-1.

SUBS
Downing: Played well and seems very smart in his decision making, passed it around well too and didn't let the nerves get to him and start hoofing it. I am not TOO worried with him being next to Butler for the next 3 games, we might miss Holden's experience though.
Hemmings: Played better than Paterson but he had his work cut out for him as he was normally marked by 2 players when we went on the offence; I like him and think he could be a great player, but he needs to put the effort in.
Bowerman: Nothing to do.

After that performance though I would say we DO have a plan b! But it is just the same plan B we have had since last season. Stick Butler up front and just hoof it up to him and hope it hits his head, and if that doesn't work, then just try again. But overall impressed with the effort and belief we put in, we played VERY well considering it was Sheffield United and that we had 10 men for the vast majority of the game.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:02 am

JonnyOwen wrote:The football was dire, Sheffield United were dreadful considering we had 10 men, Darlow had nothing to do. Disappointed in Holden, if he didn't get sent off I am sure we could of destroyed UTD even if they scored from the chance at which he fouled them. Downing played well anyway, so I am not worried too much. Felt sorry for Baxendale too, a great player and yet he is sacrificed whilst Paterson had a terrible game and was kept on for god knows how long.

Darlow: Had nothing to do, made 1 or 2 good saves when he was tested, which was rarely.

Taundry: Good at whipping balls into the box, but Purkiss is better at that. Defensively he is mediocre, he got caught day dreaming a couple of times and blamed it all on the linesmen to cover his tracks. He is a little faster than Purkiss however but having James Chambers there would tighten up our back four a lot.
Holden: Sent off, very poor decision from a very experienced player which is very surprising. Cost us the game in my opinion, but he is still big and number 5 to us.
Butler: Same old Butler, brilliant player.
Taylor: Great left back, made one or two brilliant tackles and is also very good when going forwards too.

Baxendale: Looked lively in the start of the game, a few great runs and passing play then unfortunately got the cut and was brought off for Downing.
Chambers: Brilliant, makes lots of important tackles and passes the ball well. Refs seem to give him quite a few fouls for perfectly fine sliding tackles which can get frustrating, but he has been consistently good this season.
Featherstone: Same old Nicky, never wastes a pass, composes on the ball and can get a great tackle in.
Cuvelier: Every time we broke we gave him the ball first, always plays amazing passes, always makes brilliant inside runs and then distributes well. He is a credit to watch at times, and today he played excellent, even if he did get moved to a more RM position to cover Baxendale's absence.
Paterson: Woeful, as much as I rate him on certain games; today he was dreadful, gave the ball away, passed backwards at every opportunity, made very poor decisions like usual. He is great some games, and a waste of space the next, wish he would make his mind up as he could be brilliant.

Grigg: Chased ghosts, had a great chance in the first half which I give hats off to the Sheffield United goalkeeper who made a world class save to deny it; he put in a very good effort, he just doesn't seem like scoring when we play 4-5-1.

SUBS
Downing: Played well and seems very smart in his decision making, passed it around well too and didn't let the nerves get to him and start hoofing it. I am not TOO worried with him being next to Butler for the next 3 games, we might miss Holden's experience though.
Hemmings: Played better than Paterson but he had his work cut out for him as he was normally marked by 2 players when we went on the offence; I like him and think he could be a great player, but he needs to put the effort in.
Bowerman: Nothing to do.

After that performance though I would say we DO have a plan b! But it is just the same plan B we have had since last season. Stick Butler up front and just hoof it up to him and hope it hits his head, and if that doesn't work, then just try again. But overall impressed with the effort and belief we put in, we played VERY well considering it was Sheffield United and that we had 10 men for the vast majority of the game.

Was it not a terrible back pass by Paterson? Did Holden have to make a tackle as you clearly seem to blame him for making a terrible decision :?

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:13 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Casual D wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Cully wrote:

I'm sorry its not down to the manager...

We are doing about as well as anyone outside our sometimes dullard fans - thinking we are Real Madrid - would expect.

There's a big difference between hoping the team you support will halt a run of poor results and expecting them to be Real Madrid. I'm glad to hear we played well tonight, hopefully the upturn in results will follow.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 am

ihatethecorps wrote:Was it not a terrible back pass by Paterson? Did Holden have to make a tackle as you clearly seem to blame him for making a terrible decision :?

It was a poor back pass yes, but Holden taking him down in the penalty area, getting himself sent off so early on as well as them scoring the penalty was a poor decision. Without Patersons poor back pass it wouldn't of happened yes, but if he hadn't slid in and gotten himself send off, even if they scored, we would of had more of a chance of getting something still having 11 men. Sheffield probably would of scored from the chance, sacrificing himself so early on with a poor challenge and then them ending up scoring anyway was a poor decision that cost us as they got the goal and we were a man down.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:48 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:If this squad had depth, maybe one big forward, we would have beaten them 10-1.

Bonser OUT.

Smith OUT.

Whalley OUT.

Brain cells OUT.

:arrow: cretins

The squad doesn't need greater depth, but better balance.

This is Smith's team, Smith's squad. When he declares to the media in a post-match interview that he has a 'young' team - that's his choice. When he chucks Andy Butler up front because his strikers are kids, dwarves or both, that's his decision on how to deploy finite resources.

When he buys in a goalkeeper due to lack of form/confidence of our newly-designated number 1, with another veteran goalkeeper on the wage bill also, that's his choice too.
It's only cretinous to suggest that somehow the budget -however modest - and the manager's squad are mysteriously unconnected. Could he have afforded an experienced striker if he'd prioritised it? Absolutely. End of.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:16 am

It is obvious to me that Smith's positives are:

He's good at getting on with the players.
He has created a good team spirit.
The players can be good at doing some pretty passing.
He's good at being popular with the fans.

I haven't got all day to write down the bad.

Smith would make a good youth team coach and should be placed back in his old position.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:36 am

It's not the players responsibility or the coaching teams to turn around this rough patch of form eh?

Who's is it then Funk? The ticket office staff for fudge sake?

Smiths Job is to identify the problems and come up with solutions, either by looking at our play or making a damn good case to the Mullet to bring in another option upfront.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08 am

Darth Vader wrote:Holden yet again showing how clumsy and massively average he is, **** sake.

FFS it wasn't Holden's fault!!!!! Blame fudge Paterson for a stupid backpass which played us into trouble in the first place!!!!!! Pisses me off when people moan about Holden giving the pen away when they didn't see it for themselves.Bloody braindead Paterson again that's who to blame.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season